- - - - -

Dissapointing Viewtiful Joe sales (PS2)

#1 Firebrand   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Firebrand

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:56 PM

GCN VIEWTIFUL JOE $223,946 11,042

PS2 VIEWTIFUL JOE $279,005 9,363

Sales for the month of august. The PS2 version was released on the 24th I believe, so it had a week on the market. The Gamecube version has been on the market for a year or so. These aren't the numbers Capcom anticipated. Was porting Viewtiful Joe to the PS2 a waste of time? So far, it certainly appears so.

The Cube version has sold around a quarter of a million copies.
Posted Image
Competent Leadership

#2 vanlandw   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1737 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

vanlandw

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:01 PM

Well it sucks to hear it's not selling well. It came out at a good time with no other high profile releases but people maybe holding out for the bigger games like Burnout 3, Fable, Halo 2 and others....GTA..shit...i have so many games to buy even I am getting choosie :-P

#3 Trakan   Hunter of Hunters Super Moderators   18086 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:03 PM

Well, most people who really wanted the game already have it for GCN.

#4 niceguyshawne   Hardcore since '74 CAGiversary!   2502 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

niceguyshawne

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:05 PM

I imagine the expectations for the PS2 version were low to begin with being that it has been out for GC a year now and there really weren't enough enhancements to make the new version a "must buy."
Posted Image

#5 Mana Knight   Madoka CAGiversary!   14398 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:08 PM

Actually from what I heard, Capcom was disappointed in the GC sales of Viewtiful Joe too, although it made PC. Actually, Viewtiful Joe wasn't realeased until the same day as Star Ocean 3, since the employee at EB said they just got it in that same day. I plan to buy the PS2 version of Viewtiful Joe soon anyway, since I never bought the GC version. There's just so many games I want coming out this month, that's why it's been put off a little.
Posted Image

#6 vherub   x CAGiversary!   3392 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:08 PM

Its really never surprising whenever any game that has been released on another console a year previosuly comes out to poor sales. The only truly successful port I can think of that had that long a delay was gta on xbox.

Had there been a 1-3 month delay, the sales would have been much higher. I am more interested now to see which console's vj2 sells more...

#7 vanlandw   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1737 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

vanlandw

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:13 PM

If i can get the game in the 10-15 dollar range I will pick it up..i've always wanted to play it....and i hope they keep making teh series..2d games hopfuly won't die!!!

#8 notfromtexas   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   186 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

notfromtexas

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:17 PM

I bought this game for 15 dollars when it first came out, but i have yet to play it. I have heard good things though.

#9 David85   Banned Banned   4852 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:21 PM

Does this mean that Capcom will drop PS2 sells because of this?!?!

Oh wait, only dumbass compnies do that as an excuse to drop GC support.
"It (Wii) would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube". - Satoru Iwata 2005

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true." - Ken Kutaragi 9-9-06

Finally they speak the truth.

#10 Alpha2   Custom user Title CAGiversary!   3428 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:22 PM

Most interested people probably just bought it for the GC, probably bought it used too concidering how long it's been out. Alsoif a PS2 owner could wait THIS long for the game they can wait for the price on it to drop...

Also there's like 5 new games a week starting the begining of sep. so I wouldnt be surprised if people are just getting high profile games instead of this.
http://therealalpha2.deviantart.com/

Oh so now you are using intelligence and common sense to win the arguement...that's low man! This is CAG and you aren't allowed to do that.

#11 msdmoney   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2842 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:26 PM

Hmmm, maybe this will make developers realize (especially when pertaining to the cube) you can't release a game 6 months or a year later on another system and expect big sales. This seems to mirror the cubes situation with so many ports, they release on PS2 and/or XBOX, then port it over (sometimes a shoddy port)6 months/year later on the cube, and they wonder why they don't sell well, usually blaming it on the gamecube.

#12 niceguyshawne   Hardcore since '74 CAGiversary!   2502 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

niceguyshawne

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:28 PM

Actually from what I heard, Capcom was disappointed in the GC sales of Viewtiful Joe too, although it made PC.

I was disappointed its GC sales too. I actually got it at launch expecting it to be bigger than what it turned out to be. Because of that I am more likely to wait for a price drop on VJ2.

#13 epobirs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8480 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:30 PM

I think Viewtiful Jow 2 will be a better test since it's due to appear on both systems simultaneously.

There is something about this game that isn't connecting with mainstream shoppers. For a game that has received widespread critical acclaim to move only a quarter millions units after a year on any current platform is cause for wonder. It's more understandable when a title like Disgaea is obscure since it has little marketing power behind it. But Capcom has extensive promoted VJ both in its GC launch and the PS2 version's release. Perhaps this games style relegates it to a niche market and it is hopeless to wish for better.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.

#14 coolsteel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5454 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:43 PM

A port is a port, those that were really interested in the game found some way to play it by now. Capcom has no one to blame for sales but themselves. Shame though, it would have been nice for the VJ name to become a major franchise.

#15 niceguyshawne   Hardcore since '74 CAGiversary!   2502 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

niceguyshawne

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:43 PM

Perhaps this games style relegates it to a niche market and it is hopeless to wish for better.

I think that you said it all right there. I just hope that this doesn't lead to fewer and fewer of these games being made.

#16 Indiana   Over 3 decades of gaming! CAGiversary!   3133 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:48 PM

The game has been out for a year but, I have not seen it on the shelves since it was launched. Best Buy, Meijer, Target, Wal-mart do not have it on their shelves anymore. It is hard to sell a game if you don't carry it anymore.

#17 paean   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   831 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:49 PM

That's great news, maybe the PS2 rev will drop to $14.99 soon! :)

#18 Mana Knight   Madoka CAGiversary!   14398 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:52 PM

no, because I want Capcom to continue Viewtiful Joe for a long time.
Posted Image

#19 niceguyshawne   Hardcore since '74 CAGiversary!   2502 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

niceguyshawne

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:53 PM

Probably just before VJ2 comes out in November.

#20 epobirs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8480 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:12 PM

A port is a port, those that were really interested in the game found some way to play it by now. Capcom has no one to blame for sales but themselves. Shame though, it would have been nice for the VJ name to become a major franchise.

It's not as simple as that. The presumption was that VJ's poor sales despite excellent reviews was the result of the GameCube weakness as a platform for third party products. Thus if it were available on the platform that currently enjoys the greatest third party support and sales, it would do good numbers. If this game had the same appeal to mainstream shoppers as it did to the hardcore gamers who make up most editorial staffs at magazines and websites, then it should take off like a rocket on PS2.

It's true that the market is currently flooded with games, many of them quite good but one would expect the low SRP to compensate for that competition. It isn't so much that any one who cares has already found a way to play it but that so few care. It's one thing for a company to make a bad bet, like EA picking up the Catwoman license, but for the company and the majority of critics to be completely in agreement while the public yawns is a baffling situation.

#21 Cornfedwb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3353 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:15 PM

Does this mean that Capcom will drop PS2 sells because of this?!?!

Oh wait, only dumbass compnies do that as an excuse to drop GC support.

Dumbass companies use "games don't sell well on a console" as an excuse to not make games for that console? I'd personally call those the intelligent companies. How does them not making games they can't profit off of constitute them being dumbasses?

#22 Ruined   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1714 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:20 PM

Unfortunately games like VJ rarely have "blockbuster" sales

#23 vherub   x CAGiversary!   3392 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:27 PM

If a company has a poor product, it is easier to blame the console (especially in the case of the gc) than to say, "well, we released a shamefully underdeveloped pos."

This has happened with a number of ports to both the cube and xbox. The installed base merely helps poor games because there are that many more suckers out there who will mistakenyl buy it.

I dont think companies are dumbass in their dropping of support for a console, its in their actual underlying thinking that there are more bodies to throw bad product against in the hopes that it will stick on one platform than another.

Comparatively, Sega makes solid sports games, their decision not to bring the games to the cube was intelligent because as good as these games are, for whatever reason they do not find a home on the cube.

Since VJ is a good game, I have read nothing to suggest there was a major flaw in the ps2 version, the poor sales is most likely the cause of too many new games and too long of a delay between the cube version and the ps2 version.

#24 epobirs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8480 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:41 PM

If a company make poor products, why would you care if they abandon your preferred platform?

Installed base can only compensate for so much. A poor seller on the PS2 is as much a disaster as it would be on the GameCube. The difference in sales due to installed base are more than compensated by the higher production levels demanded by the more numerous platform. Unless a company is knowingly shipping a turkey their initial order for a PS2 version needs to be substantially larger than a GC version. Otherwise the product is in danger of quickly selling out and not being present in the stores when the shoppers are there and ready to buy. All too often they're going to buy something else if the item they had in mind isn't at the first place they try.

#25 Alpha2   Custom user Title CAGiversary!   3428 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:04 PM

The assumption that VJ would sell better on PS2 is a logical one since theire are mroe PS2 owners than GC owners, unfortunatly for the reason there ARE more PS2 owners (namely the wide and growing selection of games) there are fewer free dollars to BUY the game, and it's especially not much help if you dont even ADVERTISE the fact.

I didnt know VJ was out until last weekend just because I happened to stop in and try to deside between Star Ocean and Burnout 3 (2 much higher profile games because they're brand new). I've barly even seen magazine ads for VJ/PS2.

To be honest I'd by the game if I didnt already have the GC version...but I do... and Dante as an extra character isnt yet enough to make me want to drop 30 more bucks on it yet... unless his scenerio is significantly differnent.
http://therealalpha2.deviantart.com/

Oh so now you are using intelligence and common sense to win the arguement...that's low man! This is CAG and you aren't allowed to do that.

#26 David85   Banned Banned   4852 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:04 PM

Comparatively, Sega makes solid sports games, their decision not to bring the games to the cube was intelligent because as good as these games are, for whatever reason they do not find a home on the cube.

Yes that is a good company choose. Everyone knows that all sports fans are not going to buy it on the GC, the memory it sucks up is way too much, plus the others have online support.

My point is the "dumbass companies" don't release a game at the same time. They will release a game for the PS2 and the Xbox, then wait 8 months more to release the same game on the Cube and complain when it doesn't sell well. That's called being a dumbass. It's also what is prob happening here. VJ was released for the GC and everyone bought it, now most people have it and it's not worth the little added stuff, but it's still because than the GC way in which they will just screw it over.
"It (Wii) would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube". - Satoru Iwata 2005

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true." - Ken Kutaragi 9-9-06

Finally they speak the truth.

#27 AlbinoNinja   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2607 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

AlbinoNinja

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:26 AM

The assumption that VJ would sell better on PS2 is a logical one since theire are mroe PS2 owners than GC owners, unfortunatly for the reason there ARE more PS2 owners (namely the wide and growing selection of games) there are fewer free dollars to BUY the game, and it's especially not much help if you dont even ADVERTISE the fact.

I didnt know VJ was out until last weekend just because I happened to stop in and try to deside between Star Ocean and Burnout 3 (2 much higher profile games because they're brand new). I've barly even seen magazine ads for VJ/PS2.

To be honest I'd by the game if I didnt already have the GC version...but I do... and Dante as an extra character isnt yet enough to make me want to drop 30 more bucks on it yet... unless his scenerio is significantly differnent.

Actually theyve got some commercials up now (not very good commercials... but commercials) I'd say that a game like viewtiful joe relies on people to try it out. First time I saw the game, I wasnt too impressed, but when I tried it i was hooked. Something like free demo discs, or a kiosk at Gamestop, or adding it to a Playstation Magazine disc would bring more sales to a game like that than corny commercials do.

#28 Parathod   unresponsive CAGiversary!   934 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Parathod

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:09 AM

The games been out for a year for GCN, and the price dropped to $20 about a month and a half before the PS2 release came out (which is $30)... epobirs is right on the money when he says that Viewtiful Joe 2 will be the real test.

#29 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13283 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:14 AM

It's too bad that neither version sold incredibly well. VJ is an excellent game, and anyone that hasn't picked this up really needs to. I can't wait for VJ2.

#30 sblymnlcrymnl   married ... with children CAGiversary!   30090 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

sblymnlcrymnl

Posted 16 September 2004 - 05:19 AM

I bought it at release on GCN, one of the last games I paid full price for, though it was only $40 anyway.