Official WarHawk Discussion: **Patch 1.5/"Falling Star" OUT!**

NamPaehc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
40726-warhawkmidnight.jpg

Read it for yourself.

I read the rumors that it was going to be downloadable only for a while but I didn't expect this (multiplayer only). Crazy if this is all true, and it looks like it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, Warhawk was one of the few games that I was looking forward to on the PS3. Online only? No thanks; I want my single-player mode.

That is really disappointing news. Ill probably still check it out, but not having a single player really brings down my interest for the game.

That is certainly a dissapointment. I would guess they just could not come up with a full game or not something that they would feel good about letting out the door. I hope this news is not true as it sounded like this was going to be a great title for the PS3.

The Warhawk news isn't great, but actually the rest of the column contained some interesting teasers about upcoming playstation network games. EGM already published a rumor about a new Street Fighter over PSN with updated sprites.

Well they need to do something... cause they've put a lot of time and money into this game. They should really release a demo, and let the playstation 3 fans give feed back.

[quote name='whoknows']99% of the games I play are for the single player experience...crappy news if true[/quote]

Make Warhawk that 1%.

Seriously though, it is disappointing.
I wouldn't have minded if they just re-made the classic PSX game.

I guess this means it'll be cheap!

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I won't believe it till I hear an official announcement from Sony.[/quote]

Always smart.

Kotaku has this.

"At this time that's simply not true. We have not made any decision with regards to distribution for Warhawk, which is due out this fall."

If the 'not true' part is directed towards him saying the game is only going to be downloadable, they still didn't really clear it up enough for me. To me, it looks like it might be possible, where as the writer made it seem as it was already set in stone.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Always smart.

Kotaku has this.

"At this time that's simply not true. We have not made any decision with regards to distribution for Warhawk, which is due out this fall."

If the 'not true' part is directed towards him saying the game is only going to be downloadable, they still didn't really clear it up enough for me. To me, it looks like it might be possible, where as the writer made it seem as it was already set in stone.[/quote]

Yes, but it has the PR CYA mainstay "At this time..." 5 minutes from now, it may be true, but not at this time.

Seems that is confirmed now:

First part of the video talks about it.

"Today's episode of IGN Weekly has an exclusive look at the upcoming Incognito game Warhawk for the PLAYSTATION 3. In it, the outlet confirms a number of previously rumored details.

Yes, the game will be multiplayer only, currently supporting 32-players via dedicated servers. Yes, the game will be a download through the PlayStation Store (despite telling us otherwise), with possible expansions to come.

Additionally, Drew Bradford, associate producer for the game, reveals that both SIXAXIS and analog stick controls are available for players to use.

And on the multiplayer-only front, Dylan Jobe, director of the game, said that "Warhawk has all of its attention focused on making a triple-A online experience. Phasing out the single player allows the team to really polish multiplayer." He later added, "Single player just wasn't up to par."

Shots of ground and air combat, as well as a look at character customization are available at IGN."

[quote name='NamPaehc']Seems that is confirmed now:Phasing out the single player allows the team to really polish multiplayer." He later added, "Single player just wasn't up to par."[/I][/QUOTE]

So they're basically admitting that they lack the talent to create a solid single-player mode?

Umm, so how am I supposed to get a feel for the game or practice?

Online play is going to be really shitty because everyone will be ground zero, NEWBIES, except for a few "!337" flight simulator junkies and 3d shooter fans.

Hot damn that video looks Shweeeeet... I'm a sucker for arcadey flying though. Going to take a lot of restraint not to buy it the first day.

So what are you guys thinking price wise now? I'd say $20 with extra content ready at the start, but of course that'll cost more money.

I just don't know how much they really can shave off by not having discs and "middle men" by offering it as downloadable only. I could see them saying that most games are single and multiplayer, and since they only have one half of that, then the cost should be one half of a normal PS3 game...

The lack of single player is fine for me. I know a lot of people used single player to get a feel for multiplayer for other games. I just doubt they will throw you right into the mix when you get it.

Also I can't wait to see what game modes it has. I mean, they mentioned some but I've been wondering about the larger hover ships we've seen. Wonder how they will fit into an online experiance only now or if they have been removed totally.

I just watched the IGN weekly episode that focused on WarHawk, and althought I am upset at no single player, it still looks like a really fun game.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I just watched the IGN weekly episode that focused on WarHawk, and althought I am upset at no single player, it still looks like a really fun game.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree! Especially the scene when the player has control over the tank and a plane flies through trying to take out some footsoldiers and subsequently explodes sending debris everywhere :lol: ... looks like a blast if all vehicles are present with large amounts of people.

Wait, you people would pay $20 for a downloadable multi-player game? The pricing struture baffles me. They gave us GT:HD for free.

I guess for $20, I want a disc and some cover art or something....times are changing though.

[quote name='sarausagi']Umm, so how am I supposed to get a feel for the game or practice?

Online play is going to be really shitty because everyone will be ground zero, NEWBIES, except for a few "!337" flight simulator junkies and 3d shooter fans.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least with sixaxis control, everybody should be on even ground, control-wise.

EDIT: Oop. Just noticed dual analog controls are there. Nevermind. Your point remains.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']This game will be way way more in depth than GT:Hd, and at 20$, would be a much better deal than all those VC 10$ rip offs.[/QUOTE]

Really? And you would know its depth compared to GT:HD ... how?

I mean, isn't the lesson here that we shouldn't wet our panties too much ahead of time because ... you know ... single-player might actually suck so bad they drop it and release the game multi-player only? Way to not take anything from this.

I guess I compare this to XBOX Marketplace. Since I can BUY point cards for that, rather than a fixed cost...the XBL Marketplace price can vary. I've paid anywhere from $5 to $15 for 1600 points...never more. So, the $10 XBLA game, is actually cheaper for me.

Also, XBOX gives the user to TRY before you BUY. Sony is saying BUY IT....no rental, no nothing...just BUY IT. Which sucks for me, since I'm not sure if I would like this game....or Tekken...or Flow.

They just need to get some thigns worked out.

[quote name='doubledown']I guess I compare this to XBOX Marketplace. Since I can BUY point cards for that, rather than a fixed cost...the XBL Marketplace price can vary. I've paid anywhere from $5 to $15 for 1600 points...never more. So, the $10 XBLA game, is actually cheaper for me.

Also, XBOX gives the user to TRY before you BUY. Sony is saying BUY IT....no rental, no nothing...just BUY IT. Which sucks for me, since I'm not sure if I would like this game....or Tekken...or Flow.

They just need to get some thigns worked out.[/QUOTE]

your point about XBLA cards is true. hopefully they'll introduce some Sony cards or something.

otherwise, your comparing apples to oranges. XBLA has smaller casual games and Warhawk and Tekken are current gen games.

lastly, are you sure you even want to keep your ps3? You complain about the system in every thread and compare it to some feature on the 360. It seems like you're just trolling sometimes...though, not necessarily in this post.

If this is online only, it had better be cheap, cheap, cheap or I'm not interested. It's a shame, this is one of the games that looked like it really had some potential.

One thing that would keep me interested is if they had some type of mission-based multiplayer, instead of just regular deathmatch.

[quote name='trq']Really? And you would know its depth compared to GT:HD ... how?

I mean, isn't the lesson here that we shouldn't wet our panties too much ahead of time because ... you know ... single-player might actually suck so bad they drop it and release the game multi-player only? Way to not take anything from this.[/quote]

Becuase it's an on-line game that supports up to 32 people, with many maps, ground, air, and ranking systems. Plus, it's a brand new game, un-like GT:Hd which is just GT 4 with upgraded graphics.

Yeah, is this just deathmatch, or is there the possibility of a simple co-op storyline?

Honestly, I just wanted to play this game by myself.
Swarm missiles x 32 players sounds too busy for me.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Becuase it's an on-line game that supports up to 32 people, with many maps, ground, air, and ranking systems. Plus, it's a brand new game, un-like GT:Hd which is just GT 4 with upgraded graphics.[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying. I'm just not so sure that 32 players equals "depth," especially in contrast to GT's insane tweaking options and steep/realistic learning curve for racing. Frankly, I just don't know how you can guess as to that, without at least playing Warhawk first. Maybe it'll have all the depth of a Crimson Skies match, with twice the players. I'm not saying that's not fun, but I don't know that it's "deep," per se.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, is this just deathmatch, or is there the possibility of a simple co-op storyline?

Honestly, I just wanted to play this game by myself.
Swarm missiles x 32 players sounds too busy for me.[/quote]

There are more modes, watch the IGN video. I can't right now but they talked about something called "Territory mode (think that is what is is) where your team basically takes over flags (?) and gain territory on the map... Uhh he made it sound more fun. :)

Call me a big baby, tell me that I should take my asskickings like a good "noob", but when a game is multiplayer/online only, how is the less-than-'leet' (wretching noises) gamer supposed to muster enthusiasm to play the game in the first place? With a game like MechAssault, that was primarily intended to kickstart Xbox Live, there was a perfunctory single-player experience that, you guessed it, acted as a glorified tutorial.

To me, if your first experience for a game is going online and getting whupped seven ways to Sunday (while getting verbally assaulted, I'd assume), you're probably not going to want to go back to that game anytime soon. Sure, Sony already has your money, unless the concept caused you to pass on the game in the first place. But even if you did get the game, then you're not playing it anymore, and therefore you're not contributing to the DLC revenue stream.

I don't expect many people on a gaming message board to be sympathetic to the average player...hell, maybe you'll be glad to be rid of them. But to me, a game should always incorporate some sort of content that allows one to get acclimated to the controls and features outside of the heat of battle and insufferable dickheads who use online gaming as their only means of establishing superiority.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Call me a big baby, tell me that I should take my asskickings like a good "noob", but when a game is multiplayer/online only, how is the less-than-'leet' (wretching noises) gamer supposed to muster enthusiasm to play the game in the first place? With a game like MechAssault, that was primarily intended to kickstart Xbox Live, there was a perfunctory single-player experience that, you guessed it, acted as a glorified tutorial.

To me, if your first experience for a game is going online and getting whupped seven ways to Sunday (while getting verbally assaulted, I'd assume), you're probably not going to want to go back to that game anytime soon. Sure, Sony already has your money, unless the concept caused you to pass on the game in the first place. But even if you did get the game, then you're not playing it anymore, and therefore you're not contributing to the DLC revenue stream.

I don't expect many people on a gaming message board to be sympathetic to the average player...hell, maybe you'll be glad to be rid of them. But to me, a game should always incorporate some sort of content that allows one to get acclimated to the controls and features outside of the heat of battle and insufferable dickheads who use online gaming as their only means of establishing superiority.[/quote]

We don't know if there will be any kind of tutorial or not. And we also don't know if there will be some kind of match making system in place *points at Halo*.

So... I'm sure you all have the right to feel nervous, but I think that these developers are keeping your worries in mind. As from the interview, they listened to "the people" throughout the dev process, so why would they no t do so now?

And another thing, they have highlighted the "ease of play" for a long, long, long time. This is a ARCADE flyer which always results in simple gameplay. I'm sure that doesn't mean much to some people who stink at games, but I think that is a fair point to highlight. This isn't going to be some highly involved ship managing type game. You'll tilt left/right/up/down and smash X to blast other planes.

Sure it'll take a bit of time to get used to. But again, I think that since they have been doing everything to make sure the players enjoy the game that they will do something to smoothly introduce us all into the world of WarHawk (again for some of us :cool: ).

"These techniques will be available in the upcoming PSN title, Calling All Cars, which will be using a modified version of the Warhawk engine."

That is cool.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']http://ps3.ign.com/articles/770/770561p2.html

Here's an article with some more features in the game that weren't mentioned in the Weekly episode.[/QUOTE]
Another facet of the multiplayer is the "On Demand Split Screen" feature, which will allow another player to join someone next to them on a couch without needing another monitor. By picking up a second Sixaxis and hitting start, Warhawk will seamlessly partition the screen, giving both pilots or soldiers the ability to take on opposing fighters, and restore the normal view if one player drops out of combat.

Did you guys went to gametrailer.com to check out the latest video for warhawk? It was wicked nice, better than I expected~ Take a peek... You definitely gonna like it!!

Possible WarHawk beta.

"Dylan Jobe, game director for Warhawk, offered a glimmer of hope for PS3 fans who don't want to wait until this fall to play Sony's online-only dog-fighting title. Speaking to a gathering of bloggers, Jobe revealed that developer Incog and Sony were having internal discussions about having a public beta for Warhawk. Jobe believes a beta would be beneficial, acting as a demo and helping to stress-test Sony's servers.

As if a possible beta weren't enough reason to celebrate, Jobe commented on the unannounced retail price of Warhawk. "I don't think it should be a full-priced product," Jobe said
. It should be noted, Jobe has no control over Sony's pricing. Let's hope he at least has some influence."

[quote name='NamPaehc']Possible WarHawk beta.

"Dylan Jobe, game director for Warhawk, offered a glimmer of hope for PS3 fans who don't want to wait until this fall to play Sony's online-only dog-fighting title. Speaking to a gathering of bloggers, Jobe revealed that developer Incog and Sony were having internal discussions about having a public beta for Warhawk. Jobe believes a beta would be beneficial, acting as a demo and helping to stress-test Sony's servers.

As if a possible beta weren't enough reason to celebrate, Jobe commented on the unannounced retail price of Warhawk. "I don't think it should be a full-priced product," Jobe said
. It should be noted, Jobe has no control over Sony's pricing. Let's hope he at least has some influence."[/quote]

I read that and a big part of me smiled inside.

bread's done
Back