Offical "Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds" Thread

NamPaehc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
66273-hotshots.jpg

New Screens here!

One of my fav golf games. Best on the PSP, and Best series on PS2 depending on what year of Tiger Woods you put it up agaist. :)

From Kotaku:

"Minna no Golf 5 (AKA Hot Shots Golf 5) has been dated. Well, sorta. The title will hit Japan this June. What day? Got me. A free demo of this tenth anniversary work will be available on the PlayStation Store from March 21th to May 7th. In-store demos will also be rolled out across the country. The fifth installment will see a new shot system called "Real Shot," replacing the "gauge" of previous games. Pics of it in the gallery above. Brian Ashcraft"

Wish I could get over here, wonder if you can still sign up for the PSN in Japan from US.

Looks great up close, but doesn't there look to be an abnormal amount of fog in the background? Surely the PS3 isn't having problems with that, so maybe it's a creative choice...or just an alpha build?

[quote name='panasonic']will it sell ps3s in japan? Does it sell that well in the states?[/quote]

I think it is fairly popular.

At least Sony hopes so as they are selling bundles.

The PS3's biggest game yet over in Japan is just about a month away from release, and, sure enough, Sony isn't being quiet about it. Following a heavily promoted downloadable demo of Minna no Golf 5 (known as Hot Shots Golf 5 oustide of Japan), Sony has announced a special PS3 package to coincide with the game's release.

Officially known as the PlayStation 3 Beginners' Pack, this bundle combines a PS3 system with a copy of Minna no Golf 5, all in a slick new box. It will be available on 7/26 at a cost of 61,980 yen for a 60 Gig version and 51,980 yen for a 20 Gig version.

There are a couple of points of note in this announcement. First, different from other territories, Sony seems to be continuing with sales of the two PS3 models in Japan. Currently, both 20 Gig and 60 Gig versions of the hardware are available for purchase at.

More importantly, the price of the bundle represents a savings of nearly 4,000 yen off the price of purchasing the game and hardware separately. It's not quite a price drop, but perhaps it will draw in a few holdouts.

sony-bundles-hot-shots-with-ps3-20070620021808414.jpg

[quote name='panasonic']will it sell ps3s in japan? Does it sell that well in the states?[/QUOTE]The worst selling Minna No Golf game in Japan was the PSP version, which sold 600k. The rest (or most) on PS1/PS2 sold over 1 million in Japan. In the U.S., the series is still pretty popular usually selling around 500k.

lol, i remember calling Gamerush every day the week HSG: OT was released for PSP to see if it had come in yet. Definately my favorite out of the golf franchises. Heres hoping this one comes over here soon.

I really enjoyed playing the demo.

I've just gotten back into a HSG kick of late after I bought Hot Shots 2 for the PS3/PSP.

I've even debated importing this one from Japan, but I know that I can probably hold out for the US version.

This is easily the best golf series, IMO. I play Open Tee more than any other game (since I play it on the shitter every day). I will be buying this as soon as I buy a PS3.

Im tempted to buy the import. The asian version is 54.90 at play asia and they sent me a 5 off 50 coupon. So with shipping it would be 53.

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']How can I check out the Japanese demo? Do I need to sign into a japanese PSN or something?[/QUOTE]It's gone. I forgot when it went down though, but it did.

I'm tempted to buy the import as well now.

It's going to be $59.99 in the us, but if I can get it 3 months early and pay less....

[quote name='psunami']I'm tempted to buy the import as well now.

It's going to be $59.99 in the us, but if I can get it 3 months early and pay less....[/QUOTE]
know what you mean. I may want because there are so many other games coming soon.

Also, if they do the same sorts of things that they've done with Resistance and Motorstorm, the game should be patched to allow play between US and Japanese versions.

I ended up ordering the Asian version from Play Asia. After a $5 coupon, I was able to get it shipped for $53.

The benefit to the Asian version over the Japanese one is the fact that the Asian version comes with a set of English instructions.

The gameplay reminded me very heavily of Mario Golf on the Gamecube. I thought those two games played almost identical, frankly. I haven't, however, ever played a Hot Shots Golf game before this demo.

[quote name='mykevermin']The gameplay reminded me very heavily of Mario Golf on the Gamecube. I thought those two games played almost identical, frankly. I haven't, however, ever played a Hot Shots Golf game before this demo.[/quote]

Mario Golf blows compared to HSG. If you spend some time with this series you will come to realize how great it truely is and you won't ever be able to play any other golf game again (except Golden Tee at the bar because it's hard to top that). The physics are dead on perfect and based on the lie, the wind, the coutours of the surface, club selection and ball spin you can really place your shots with accuracy but nothing completely out of the realm of possibility. Putting is also amazing - if you take your time you can make some great putts. I can't say enough about this series.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']let us know how hard it is to play the import (for those of us limited to the english language).
~S[/QUOTE]

Will do. My guess is that once you get past the menus it will be just fine. Plus, having the English language instructions should help out quite a bit.

The gameplay reminded me very heavily of Mario Golf on the Gamecube. I thought those two games played almost identical, frankly. I haven't, however, ever played a Hot Shots Golf game before this demo.

The first Hot Shots Golf was made by Camelot, so it would make sense that it reminds you of Mario Golf, as all of those games have been made by Camelot.

It's been so long since I played the original, I can't even remember what it was like any more.

I've always viewed these games as the natural evolution from NES Open, which is one of my favorite golf games of all time.

My Asian copy of Hot Shots 5 is enroute from Play Asia.

I'll post some impressions once I have it in my hands, but I think it'll be about a week before I have it.

Just got my copy last night.

I'll cut and paste my quick impressions from the sports gaming blog that I write on.

After the 4GB game install (glad I got the 60 GB PS3,) I had a chance to play a few of the single player challenges in the game and I have to say that I really like what they've done with the newest version. They've added a new control option where you base how hard you're going to hit the ball by watching your character on the screen and pressing the button as the club goes back, so you're actually determining the power by how far back they bring back the club. It's amazing that no one thought of this as a control option in the past, and it adds a nice challenge for "guessing" at how much power you need.

After you select the power, you see something like this on the screen ( ( o ) ) .
A large circle starts outside the far ring and gets smaller as it approaches the center. Your goal is to try and get the shrinking circle to match up with the little circle in the middle. It's not too much different from the "get the bar in the middle" method from the old tri-click swing, but again... it's another nice and small change. I've had a few really bad swings thus far, so I can say that this mode isn't nearly as forgiving as the modes in the past.

I haven't had a chance to try out the online modes or anything like that, but thankfully there are a few sites out there that have translated the menus so that you can get around the game quite easily.

The site that has the translations is www.thesixthaxis.com

Can you confirm whether this game supports 1080i? I read somewhere that it's 720 or nothing just like 1/2 the PS3 games out there.

Can you confirm whether this game supports 1080i? I read somewhere that it's 720 or nothing just like 1/2 the PS3 games out there.

I thought this will also have voice chat during online play? This would definitely want to wait for me to wait to purchase the US version as I can't speak Japanese.

[quote name='psunami']It is 720P according to the game manual. I remember only seeing 720P, 480P, and 480I as options.[/quote]

Awesome. The PS3 can blow me.

[quote name='javeryh']Awesome. The PS3 can blow me.[/quote]

Poor guy :(

I know how you feel I got screwed on the 1080i thing too, but I picked up a HDTV CRT a little while back and it does it all. Man does it look gorgeous on CRT though.

Nam, could you change the name of the title?

Well, although images were taken, Hot Shots Golf 5 got an official name here.

Yes folks, I’m happy to say that there is a new Hot Shots golf title coming to North America this March for the PLAYSTATION 3. I want to introduce you to Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds.

Introducing Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds

Working on this title has been tough. Imagine my situation: it is sunny and warm here at SCEA Santa Monica. The sun is shining through the office window with a hint of Pacific blue off in the distance. A typical perfect day to be out hitting the links, but alas, there’s work to be done – c’est la vie.

By work, of course, I mean play Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds. If we can’t hit the real links, why not get some time on the virtual ones?

As many of you may know, the Hot Shots Golf franchise has had many a player hitting the green for some of the most fun and wacky golf action around. Now for the first time, we are bringing this franchise to the PS3 for some next-gen golf goodness like you’ve never seen before.

So over the next few weeks I and several others on the team will be giving you a rundown of the new features you’ll find in Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds as well as detailed info on the new shot mechanism, nifty soundtrack, new characters, game tips, and online play. We’ll even have some behind the scenes info on Clap Hanz (creators of the Hot Shots universe) so keep an eye out for more news coming from our side. Until then I’ll leave you guys with a few screens…wait, I think I hear my tee time calling…
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/01/22/introducing-hot-shots-golf-out-of-bounds/

I was thinking it would be Hot Shots Golf 5, but I guess not. Oh well, very awesome news indeed. :D

This will be cool. There was such a HUGE dry spell where no information was coming out at all so anything new is welcomed.

Can't wait for March!

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'll be picking this up, I need some variety in my PS3 titles ;O[/QUOTE]You know I will too, and we will play online together. ;)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']You know I will too, and we will play online together. ;)[/quote]
Hah, do you play these games much? If so, I'm figuring you'll go Tiger Woods on me

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Hah, do you play these games much? If so, I'm figuring you'll go Tiger Woods on me[/QUOTE]Let's just say I've been playing Hot Shots Golf since the first, and own every single one (except the 2nd still). ;) I'm all right, but still struggle with putting at times. :(

"Also, we're a little disappointed that the Japanese voice acting hasn't survived the transition to the US version (at least, not in this build!). We loved it when our golfers said "nice shotto!" Please Sony? Can you restore the original voice acting for the final release? We're more than certain you can fit it on the Blu-ray disc."

:(
pretty please sony?

edit: just watched a vid review of Lost Odyssey and noticed that even though it's already 4DVDs large, apparently the producers felt it was appropriate to include 5 different languages for the voices. Now with the space that bluray discs provide, I don't see any reason why they couldn't include extra languages (except for hiring voice talents) or at the very least, original languages for not just Hot Shots, but every other game out there. I know this argument's been beaten to death already, but yea cmon Sony. What's the deal here lol

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Let's just say I've been playing Hot Shots Golf since the first, and own every single one (except the 2nd still). ;) I'm all right, but still struggle with putting at times. :([/quote]

Do the putting trainer over and over. You'll get better.

I can't wait for this game. The online portion looks like it's going to be a lot of fun what with running all over the course at will.

bread's done
Back