The Official Lair Thread - Update with Analog Control + DLC on April 15

[quote name='dallow']Lair meets GOW.

Nice widescreen shot.

I'll need to see these things in motion.[/quote]
I'm hearing that Lair will be shown off at GDC next week, so hopefully some videos are released alongside that.

I thought I had seen some of those before, but they weren't released on the internet. Fairly sure they were in a magazine before this.

[quote name='Scorch']graphics does not a good game make[/quote]

Whatever you say Yoda.
alien-smiley-140.gif

[quote name='Scorch']graphics does not a good game make[/QUOTE]

you mean, "good graphics do not a good game make"?

it's made by Factor 5, it has potential....

I'm curious as to whether or not the 360 could do this... Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just really wondering what the comparison in each consoles' power would be. I mean, it does have that GOW look to it, but the shaping of the water, and the specular lighting and transparency on the dragon wings all together at once made me want to know.

Heck, if this game is good enough (and Factor 5 I believe could pull that off) I might just have to pick up a PS3 :p

...something I never thought I'd do.

[quote name='DJGeki']I'm curious as to whether or not the 360 could do this... Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just really wondering what the comparison in each consoles' power would be. Heck, if this game is good enough (and Factor 5 I believe could pull that off) I might just have to pick up a PS3 :p

...something I never thought I'd do.[/QUOTE]

Seeing as how the PS3 and 360 are pretty close in power, I would say the 360 could do it. Both consoles haven't even begun to show us what they are capable of, so I would say that it could be easily done on the 360.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I don't know, the PS3 video card is much better designed to handle 1080p resolutions, but its a close call.[/QUOTE]
What the hell are you talking about. Video "cards" (as you so ineptly put it) aren't inherantly designed around specific resolutions. To put it really, really simply (on the border of being wrong, for the sake of simplicity) the resolutions a graphics chipset can effectively handle are a direct function of their overall processing power, and the tasks they are being made to perform.

This is the first 'system seller' game IMO for the PS3. Incredible looking. If I didn't already have a Wii and 360 and lots of books to buy really soon I would buy a PS3 the day this game came out, assuming it plays as well as other Factor 5 games have in the past.

I don't know about the 360, but when ever I hear this devs speak they say "scale" "scale" "SCALE". Not dragon scales mind you, but scale relating to the game enviroment.

They compaired it to Shadow of the Colossus on how "epic" and huge they wanted it all to be. Along with having the player feel like a nat agaist the massive sized dragons (first picture above) they also wanted to have an area where something that huge might roam freely. So there will be a TON of air space to play in, along with the ground war where a lot of soldiers will be doing their own thing.

If anyone game taps into the PS3's power, I think it is going to be this game. To bad their is no multiplayer. :p

What I meant was the PS3 Video card was designed to run games in 1080p where as the xbox 360 was only designed to run games in 720p. Whether that makes a difference, I don't know, but that was merely my point.

I'm not a big XBox fan but it was designed to be able to do any resolution via its Scaler Chip named Ana. Althought the only way to get tru 1080p with it is via the VGA adapter. Althought some (Very Few) TVs support 1080p thru component cabling. Good luck finding one. Either way I'm not all that sure the 360 could handle this game because of all the shit thats going on at once. The 360 could more than handle the bandwidth required but to process all this would be hard pressed. Just my opinion. I suppose we will never know since its PS3 exclusive. Its still to early to decide which system is actually more powerful tho. I for one love my PS3 tho and don't want a 360.

[quote name='dpatel']
look at the water![/QUOTE]
I think the game looks great, but that water looks like shit.

Is it teal?

[quote name='NamPaehc']
They compaired it to Shadow of the Colossus [/QUOTE]
This was my first impression upon seeing the game, and not Gears of War. Wow, I'd love to see what the ICO/SOTC guys are working on.

I saw these screens a few days ago, and my jaw dropped.

Then I watched a youtube of gameplay video, and I became unimpressed (not because of the graphics, but it looks like a repetitive and boring game)...

I really hope it turns out to be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

[quote name='getmyrunon']I saw these screens a few days ago, and my jaw dropped.

Then I watched a youtube of gameplay video, and I became unimpressed (not because of the graphics, but it looks like a repetitive and boring game)...

I really hope it turns out to be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up.[/QUOTE]

Same. We've been fed so many pretty screens, but not much info on gameplay. Then again, the early gameplay videos never showed enemies THAT big, so this has caught my interest once again.

And when I said GOW, I meant the original GOW, God of War.

I have to agree too. Those early gameplay videos looked boring.
They were however, very early.

Looks like there's a whole lot more to this game than just a bridge, tons of soldiers, and some dragons.

[quote name='help1']Looks nice, but im not interested. Not my kind of game.[/quote]

Yeah, sorry dude.
No guns in this game.

But there are some nice masks and fire stuff.

[quote name='help1']Looks nice, but im not interested. Not my kind of game.[/quote]
Yeah, sorry dude.
No guns in this game.

But there are some nice helmets and fire stuff.

As long as we get a good supply of decent games coming I'll probably pick a ps3 up over the summer or this winter.

I feel like my eyes were just sexed up.

Sounds like the game will be exactly like ...that forgettably titled dragon game on the PS2 where you rode a dragon and fought things. I played that game for a mission and then fell asleep.

If I can have an epic battle with that creature from the first screenshot, I will never regret spending $600 on my PS3. Please, Factor 5, make it happen.

I really loved Factor 5's Star Wars games on the Gamecube. While Lair isn't a system seller for me, I wouldn't be surprised if when I do get a PS3 Lair is one of the first games I buy for the system.

[quote name='Kaijufan']
I wouldn't be surprised if when I do get a PS3 Lair is one of the first games I buy for the system.[/QUOTE]
Nigga likes big ass reptiles.

[quote name='getmyrunon']I saw these screens a few days ago, and my jaw dropped.

I really hope it turns out to be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up.[/QUOTE]

You know, I've been waffling on this. On one hand, it looks very sexiful (Yes, it's a word. Ask Tiger Tanaka.) and the game does have some interesting gameplay potential. Factor 5 has also been responsible for some top notch launch games in its time.

On the other hand, even when they're released far into the lifespan of a system, Factor 5 games still kinda seem like, well, launch games, meaning lots of rehashing of earlier gameplay, and what's new is fairly busted (See: Rogue Squadron III. The on-foot levels blew, and the levels filled with TIE fighters looked bad-ass at first ... until you realized it was all pretty much eye candy, and the level played exactly like the ones before it.) Will Lair be "More of the same, but on a really big scale?" It's a danger. But I hope not.

Add in that this will be the first true "You're a huge proponent of this technology and you designed your game from the groud up around it"-type test of whether sixaxis control is worth a damn, and it bears some close attention at the very least.

People say 2007 is the year we see the power of the PS3, well fuck, one month after launch we get the awesome GT HD, 5 months in we get Lair, I can't wait to see what comes in 2008.

Hmm...looking at it, yeah, I'm thinking there is a major possibility of a style over substance case here. Looking into the crystal ball...

Gamerankings.com average: 72%. You heard it here first.

Lair Where?
I could have sworn that a month ago I heard that Lair was 90% done and that it would be coming out soon. Now it's a TBA 2007 title when it was supposed to come out in May. You know the real story?

--Ryan

The real story is coming rather shortly and don't worry, Factor 5's first PS3 venture is coming sooner than later. We'll let you in on all the details sometime over the next few weeks.

From IGN Mailbag... something else to look forward too.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Lair Where?
I could have sworn that a month ago I heard that Lair was 90% done and that it would be coming out soon. Now it's a TBA 2007 title when it was supposed to come out in May. You know the real story?

--Ryan

The real story is coming rather shortly and don't worry, Factor 5's first PS3 venture is coming sooner than later. We'll let you in on all the details sometime over the next few weeks.

From IGN Mailbag... something else to look forward too.[/quote]

Might be regarding the rumored demo.

[quote name='Kayden']I feel like my eyes were just sexed up.

Sounds like the game will be exactly like ...that forgettably titled dragon game on the PS2 where you rode a dragon and fought things. I played that game for a mission and then fell asleep.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to Panzer Dragoon (which was not on the PS2) or am I not thinking of something?

[quote name='Draccius']Are you referring to Panzer Dragoon (which was not on the PS2) or am I not thinking of something?[/QUOTE]
I think he's thinking of one of two games:

Drakan

or

Drakengard

[quote name='Draccius']Are you referring to Panzer Dragoon (which was not on the PS2) or am I not thinking of something?[/QUOTE]

I think he means Drakan, which I actually really liked. :D

bread's done
Back