GC Imports on Wii No Freeloader, No Mod!

Kirra

CAGiversary!
GameCube Imports on a Wii with no mod or Freeloader? No Problem!
Play import GC games on your Wii with no modification or software

So you want to play GameCube imports on your Wii but don't want to mod your console or buy freeloader? No problem!
One clever person has discovered a disk swap method that allows you to do just that! No hardware modification or additional software is needed. For the moment this swap method is confirmed working on PAL Wii's (it could quite possibly work on NTSC Wii's) using original GameCube titles of another region. However Wii imports don't appear to work using the method. Here's what you have to do:

Insert a GameCube game from your region into the Wii.
Go to the Disc Channel and hover your cursor over the Start button (keep it on the Start button).
Eject the GameCube disc, the Start button should remain active for a brief second, press it.
Quickly insert a GameCube disc from another region (you have very limited time).

If done correctly you should be able to boot the import GameCube game. Apparently this only works with GameCube games as the Wii takes a moment to switch to GameCube mode. The original disk from your region tricks the Wii into thinking it just booted a game with your region. Enjoy playing your imports!

This is from the front page of gbatemp.net
(Edit, Link to gbatemp's post: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=45522&st=0&#entry577677)

I haven't tried this yet.. so I can't confirm it. But the source(s) seems reliable.

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=6816&rss=1&title=Wii%27s+GameCube+region+lock+busted

hm....
good post

i read around a bit and it looks like it works to a point.

from a forum :

suer:Xentri
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:17 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow get this for a work around...

I used the glitch you guys mentioned to launch my old version freeloader... and then used the freeloader to launch RE4 and it would let me put it in progressive mode and showed correctly in 480p...

so I guess those of us who have old freeloaders can use 'em...

I'm guessing maybe it's putting a 480p on a 576i display if you don't force it with the freeloader with this game... as that's what the TV says... that's why the game only takes up part of the screen

Can anyone confirm this? What GC import games would you recommend I get? (I heard Donkey Konga 3 is good. Is there a list of songs anywhere?)

Thanks.

Only problem with this is that its a hit or miss inorder to get it to work. You'll have to time it correctly inorder for it to work. If not, you'll have to keep trying over and over.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Can anyone confirm this? What GC import games would you recommend I get? (I heard Donkey Konga 3 is good. Is there a list of songs anywhere?)

Thanks.[/quote]
You can try Chacranajxy's Guide to Importing. Theres three cube games on that list:

Battle Stadium D.O.N. (Fighting, Japan, Import Friendly)
Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Puzzle, Japan, Import Friendly)
Sonic Gems Collection (Various, Japan, Import Friendly)

[quote name='soonersfan60']Can anyone confirm this? What GC import games would you recommend I get? (I heard Donkey Konga 3 is good. Is there a list of songs anywhere?)

Thanks.[/quote]
Wikipedia's got a list (scroll down).

i should try that since i have a freeloader that says it works on the wii but it doesnt. its because i have capital B version. im gonna try it tonight.

Interesting. Hopefully this is something that Nintendo can't fix with an update, because it sounds like a great little workaround.

Now if only anyone could confirm this, then I could start looking into import GameCube games.

[quote name='soonersfan60']That's a cool post. Too bad there aren't more GC games listed. Is Sonic Gems the same as the one released here? What's on Puzzle Collection? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sonic Gems is the same as the US release, except it also includes Streets of Rage 1-3.

Puzzle Collection has 4 player versions of Dr. Mario (essentially Dr. Mario 64), Panel De Pon (Tetris Attack!!! Best Puzzle game EVER.), and Yoshi's Cookie.

After a couple of tries I finally got it to work on my U.S. wii. It's a pretty nice trick but I'm guessing nintendo might try to disable it with future updates.

Neat! I may look into importing the Naruto games, or Donkey Konga 3.

Although, I should really get Donkey Konga 1 first. :lol:

Thanks OP!

it doesnt work for me. i put in metroid prime 2. i put my cursor on start. i click on start and eject same time. then i quickly put in puzzle collection... it just resets the system. so it dont work for me. im using the american wii btw.

EDIT: i forgot to say something. once i press eject button, the start button quickly gray out.

someone has a video of it though:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-BzBXAYm4[/media]

EDIT: well i just did it after i watch it. it works now. it does take practice. u gotta be REAL quick.

[quote name='panasonic']trying now[/QUOTE]
No. Thats the Xbox 360 HD-DVD

*EDIT*
DOH!, you had edited it. my above answer was to his question regarding silver part next to Wii. He thought it was PS3

bread's done
Back