- - - - -

Sony Blackballs Kotaku (update: unblackballed!)

#1 myxyplik   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   119 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:23 PM

http://kotaku.com/ga...taku-240860.php

Apparently, Sony got pissy about some rumor. They should've just gone the MS route and said "We don't comment on rumors and speculation".:roll:

CheapyD edit:
Support Kotaku and digg this story!

#2 Gregalor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5172 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:25 PM

Sony makes an excellent gravedigger.

#3 rodeojones903   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6366 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

rodeojones903

http://www.cheapassg...t=129516&page=4

Already in discussion here. I see exactly where Sony is coming from with that. They asked Kotaku not to run the story so they could make the announcement at their show. I see nothing wrong with Sony wanting to be the one to break this news.

#4 pop311   College CAGiversary!   3193 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

wow

#5 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14938 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

http://www.cheapassg...t=129516&page=4

Already in discussion here. I see exactly where Sony is coming from with that. They asked Kotaku not to run the story so they could make the announcement at their show. I see nothing wrong with Sony wanting to be the one to break this news.

The thing is, they've now legitamized the rumour. I get what you mean about Sony wanting to break the news, but that's not the way to do it. You can't negate a rumour by going after the people who repeat it.

#6 rodeojones903   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6366 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

rodeojones903

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:34 PM

The thing is, they've now legitamized the rumour. I get what you mean about Sony wanting to break the news, but that's not the way to do it. You can't negate a rumour by going after the people who repeat it.

From what I get from it (and pretty much everyone else) is that means the rumor is true. Sony would not go to that extent if there was not some legitimacy to it. What else are they to do if they want to keep the secret under wraps for themselves?

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

Sony makes an excellent gravedigger.

They blackballed a blog. It's over. Sony is finished.

Sony asked us not to publish the story, first nicely, then not so much.

Apparently Kotaku forgot themselves and thought they were something other than an amateur news site. They're not too bright.

#8 rodeojones903   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6366 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

rodeojones903

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:41 PM

Apparently Kotaku forgot themselves and thought they were something other than an amateur news site. They're not too bright.

Exactly.

#9 jmcc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9608 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:44 PM

Yes. People need to learn how to properly respect corporations.

#10 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16519 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:55 PM

Whatever your opinions of Kotaku or any other blog, I guess I'd rather have them get me scoops on info and rumors rather than executive interviews.

It's always amusing how people totally discount the fact that Crecente is a legitimate member of the news media.

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

Yes. People need to learn how to properly respect corporations.

Not in the least...

Amateur news sites (aka blogs) who are dependent upon a corporation's kickdowns (exclusive interviews, debug PS3, invitations to private events) should learn how to properly respect a professional relationship. Maybe if they were gamespot or someone who isn't in a submissive position to Sony, they could ignore them, but they went the dumb route and now they have nothing. Kotaku will make a stink about it, and their reader base will compain about Sony and damn the PS3 to hell (what else is new) but really, they've just shot themselves in the foot.

Sucks it has to run that way, but it does.

#12 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22416 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

I just can't believe the people that are running Sony are actually the people that are running Sony. Any one of us could do a better job at PR.

EDIT: If this rumor is true it's pretty cool stuff.

#13 daroga   swimming with nanocarp CAGiversary!   11178 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

The best course of action would be not to comment on it, and then the best peopel would do is say, "Oh yeahy, I think they had something like this online a few days ago." Now, everyone knows its true. Sony ruined their own chances to make the announcment offical at their show. Oops.

#14 NitrousO   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   48 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

NitrousO

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

Sarcasm aside, you see nothing wrong with Sony bullying a blog in an attempt to make it violate its own journalistic integrity? Viva la Controlled media! :roll:

Edit - Just read your new post. You make it sound like blogs are an arm of the companies they report on's PR departments and that by reporting anything that doesnt go with the corprate wishes, that its some sort of act of disobediance.

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

Sarcasm aside, you see nothing wrong with Sony bullying a blog in an attempt to make it violate its own journalistic integrity? Viva la Controlled media! :roll:

once again, words in my mouth. this isn't watergate or a 9/11 cover up. This was something that was going to be revealed in a few days-- there was no urgency to report it! People wouldn't have been left in the dark if Kotaku hadn't posted it. Now that that distinction is clear...

Kotaku should've treated it like an NDA agreement-- they could've hinted at it and said something like "we'll have more later." instead they chose to put up a full blown story that only had the paper thin word "rumor" to seperate it from fact. And now they've lost a huge resource and are that much more of a blog than a news site that's trying to legitimate its self.

edit: it's not an act of disobediance, it just wasn't a very smart move. I hope you don't think other news sites of any type report every little thing they come across.

#16 argyle   Mr. Lucky CAGiversary!   6377 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:19 PM

Edit - Just read your new post. You make it sound like blogs are an arm of the companies they report on's PR departments and that by reporting anything that doesnt go with the corprate wishes, that its some sort of act of disobediance.

Sony asked them, very nicely it would appear, not to run the story. This isn't a case of Sony bullying a blog, this is a case of a blog blatantly disregarding what was asked of them. Heck, it's not like the little guys are the only ones who have to respect this kind of thing - big sites, like IGN & Gamespot, are constantly told when they can reveal certain information & when they can't.

If Kotaku wants to be a legitimate news source, they should start acting like one.

#17 lokizz   Go $$$$ Yourself CAGiversary!   10104 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:20 PM

yeah i agree with sony too its not liek they banned them from jump they asked kotaku to hold off on posting it and instead they wanted to be cool and show everyone how they wont be bossed around and what do they get for their actions blackballed. besides isnt kotaku the same site that give crappy videogames good scores often?

in the end they could have waited till sony gave them the go ahead for that story and still post other sony news and stories in the meantime but eh thats the price you pay for trying to impress the nerds out there. when it comes to business you need to think to the future and not in the moment.

and you gotta love the comments by all the kotaku fanboys congratulating them on not doing as sony asked. if i were them id be pissed since if thats your favorite site to get game news now they will have distinctly less first hand info from sony but then again they can keep doing what they usually do which is steal their news from cag or the other game sites out there so in a funny way will they really be hurt that much?

#18 Reality's Fringe   Goes sex for pussy CAGiversary!   7112 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Reality's Fringe

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:20 PM

Kotaku can't go to Sony's birthday party anymore, which is too bad because I hear Sony is totally going to have cake, a moon-jumper, and rumble (even though it's totally last-gen).

#19 gaelan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3138 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

so bloggers call themselves journalists now?

it's a friggin blog not a news outlet...

#20 guyver2077   CAG Original CAGiversary!   16080 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

guyver2077

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

dont know if i can say that kotaku made the wise and professional choise

#21 MisterModest   Custom User Title CAGiversary!   704 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

MisterModest

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:25 PM

The internet is serious business.

#22 Gregalor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5172 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

I'm not implying that this alone does it for them. They've been digging it for months. I don't even KNOW Sony anymore.

#23 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17634 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

Frankly, it is a pretty shocking story.
Sony really doesn't understand the internet at all and couldn't have handled this any more poorly. Looks like we've got a great topic to talk about for next week's show.

#24 evilmax17   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   7480 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:37 PM

This drama will get Kotaku more attention than anything that they have just lost. Every other blog on the internet will get the same Sony interviews and the same information. No big loss for Kotaku, but now they have notoriety.

#25 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40011 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:38 PM

Frankly, it is a pretty shocking story.
Sony really doesn't understand the internet at all and couldn't have handled this any more poorly. Looks like we've got a great topic to talk about for next week's show.

So out of curiosity, if you were in Sony's spot what would you have done?

#26 terribledeli   Zombiologist CAGiversary!   3099 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

terribledeli

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:39 PM

So out of curiosity, if you were in Sony's spot what would you have done?

Sucked it up and said "We don't comment on rumors" like everyone else.

Depending on the attention, I'm sure Sony will have a change of heart and change their decision within 72 hours.

Or atleast when they formally announce the program.

#27 ryanbph   Man Down CAGiversary!   7233 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:44 PM

what if kotaku ran a playernet video from msft, and then msft asked them to take it down but they didn't...oh wait that was cheapy....if kotaku was given the info without signing a NDA, then I see nothing wrong with them writting about it....much like cheapy situation, I thought that for the best of either sites it would be to listen to the corporate man, but in the end it was nice getting the info ahead of time.

#28 Scorch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   37483 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:49 PM

It's not that they just blackballed Kotaku.. but now they're seen as a bully of sorts. Now people are going to be afraid to run Sony rumors. Oh well. Sony didn't help themselves with this move.

I still say that the Sony Home thing is a horrible, horrible idea.

#29 peteloaf   ULTRA COMBO! CAGiversary!   1340 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:51 PM

I really have to applaud Kotaku on this for sticking to thier guns. As lame as it all may sound the idea of Sony attempting to controll the media and how they report is absoluty disgusting. Maybe it's "just some blog" but maybe this blog is the only outlet talking about this. How many times have the "real" news outlets been bullied by Sony? We don't know and if nobody speaks up we will never know. Just because gaming is entertainment and not life or death doesn't mean that corporate attempts to quite the media, regardless of what is being reported, is acceptable. This, coupled with the lik-sang lawsuit is a real blemish on the public face of Sony that many people are willing to overlook either because it's just videogames or because thinking about it makes people feel bad that they own a Sony console and nobody wants to feel bad.

#30 daroga   swimming with nanocarp CAGiversary!   11178 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

Slightly OT: I'm not neceassarily disagreeing with the view point, but what makes Kotaku, Joystiq, etc. not "real news sources"? If they're not real, who is in the industry? What separates the two?