Sony Playstation Home - Gen. Discussion & Info - Open Beta Available Now

[quote name='Strell']How did Zoglog of all people manage to miss the threads about this already?[/quote]It's on 1UP so now it's "legitmate" and "professional." Duh.

Just wondering what things people want from this feature, and if anyone other than me was excited about it. Of all the features that's supposed to be coming out, I think this is the most important feature because it gives the Playstation 3 a 'community.'

I think acheivement type things are important, as I hear those are quite addictive and will shut up all those 360 fan boys. Other than that, just easier to navigate PSN store and background d/ling.

achievements are the stupidest form of an immature fanboy pissing contest. sony's making it's own waves with what they offer. gamerscores along with "visible" ranks is just going to spur more cheating. why do you think people bridge and standby in halo? people are always bitching about host advantage in gears of war?

my honest opinion is I hope Home is going to start setting the standard for online console gaming. with warhawk and DEDICATED SERVERS, resistance and FREE ONLINE GAMING, etc. i'm just curious to see what other features they plan on bringing.

achievements are the stupidest form of an immature fanboy pissing contest. sony's making it's own waves with what they offer. gamerscores along with "visible" ranks is just going to spur more cheating. why do you think people bridge and standby in halo? people are always bitching about host advantage in gears of war?
I like achievements. They give that little bit extra to look forward to, and extend the amount of time a person may play a game. As it stands now, unless there's a massive difference in quality, I'll be getting 360 versions of multiplatform games because at least they have achievements. It may not be much, but it is something that the PS3 versions won't have.

If Sony brings something like achievements to the table, then you're going to see people like me possibly picking up the PS3 versions instead. Especially if Home turns out as cool as it sounds.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I like achievements. They give that little bit extra to look forward to, and extend the amount of time a person may play a game. As it stands now, unless there's a massive difference in quality, I'll be getting 360 versions of multiplatform games because at least they have achievements. It may not be much, but it is something that the PS3 versions won't have.

If Sony brings something like achievements to the table, then you're going to see people like me possibly picking up the PS3 versions instead. Especially if Home turns out as cool as it sounds.[/quote]
i guess i'm just one of those gamers that's got nothing to prove to others:booty:

PSH is just a hybrid of Mii(s), 360 acheivements, and Animal crossing... that's what I think of it... if it holds up to be true, then this is like a free game...

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']i guess i'm just one of those gamers that's got nothing to prove to others:booty:[/QUOTE]

I don't see where it has anything to do with "proving" anything - at least not for me. I enjoy comparing achievements with friends - I could care less what some random guy I've never heard of has done in a game, but if a good friend of mine has accomplished something I haven't, then sure, some friendly competition may make me go back & give the game another go.

But mainly, achievements give me something to work towards in a game. Would people have replayed something like Dead Rising as much as they did if there weren't goals to accomplish after beating the game? Would Viva Pinata be as long-lived if not for the extremely long & detailed list of achievement goals to reach? Not for me, no.

EDIT: On-topic, as cool as I think Home sounds (and it sounds really, really cool) I'm ready for Sony to announce/confirm background voice chat across games & custom soundtracks for all games. These are the two main 360 features I miss in the PS3.

it's not about proving something to someone else... but sometimes if you see someone whose beat your score, then you'd like to beat their score.. oh how I'd love to get in that top 10 of blast factor.... but for now I'm settling for top 2500.

I like this idea, only because it gives you something to show for your acheivements, something to put in your home, instead of just numbers. So instead of having a huge number, you can just own a lot of shit.

[quote name='lmz00']Is this coming on Thursday?[/quote]Supposedly it's with 1.6 on Thursday, but I would assume that would warrant a jump to 2.0.

[quote name='TimPV3']Supposedly it's with 1.6 on Thursday, but I would assume that would warrant a jump to 2.0.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I would expect other things in 1.6. I expect this to be an announcement of the features, and we won't see a full launch of it for a month or two. But maybe not.

i like achievements the only reason to play viva pinata was for achievements, i don't brag about my score but i use it as something to do :)

does phil talk today or tommorow?

[quote name='panasonic']i like achievements the only reason to play viva pinata was for achievements, i don't brag about my score but i use it as something to do :)

does phil talk today or tommorow?[/quote]Tomorrow

I thought tomorrow was the keynote address at GDC... and then thursday was the update... I'll be up tonight any way... like I always do.

when i thnk about psh the theme song to cheers comes to mind.

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your [user] name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your [user]name.

You wanna go where people know,[its all about ps3 and]
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name.

I read that this Home thing was going to be pushed out to users in the Fall. I hope his is not true as I think Sony needs to address this ASAP. Will certainly be a long summer of rumor and hype if the fall is really the release for Home.

It all sounds interesting but we will have to see what real details we get today,

Looks like the NYTimes is comfirming this. They mention Kotaku where I saw this too which was good.

"The centerpiece, a new service called PlayStation Home, is to become available to consumers in the fall, said senior game industry executives, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the plans. PlayStation Home is meant to build on and surpass somewhat similar offerings from Sony’s competitors Microsoft and Nintendo by allowing users to create persisting online identities that record players’ achievements in different games. As players progress through a game, they will unlock various virtual prizes that they can then show off to friends and rivals, the executives said."

More at the link above, but if that is true then it looks like the rumors of a "Fall" release are true.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Looks like the NYTimes is comfirming this. They mention Kotaku where I saw this too which was good.

"The centerpiece, a new service called PlayStation Home, is to become available to consumers in the fall, said senior game industry executives, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the plans. PlayStation Home is meant to build on and surpass somewhat similar offerings from Sony’s competitors Microsoft and Nintendo by allowing users to create persisting online identities that record players’ achievements in different games. As players progress through a game, they will unlock various virtual prizes that they can then show off to friends and rivals, the executives said."

More at the link above, but if that is true then it looks like the rumors of a "Fall" release are true.[/QUOTE]

Not FALLL!!!! I want this fuck now!!!

I am not sure if announcing this for fall helps Sony or not. From one angle, sure, it's good news that something cool is coming in the fall. From another angle, well, this just confirms to me that waiting till the fall for the PS3 is a good idea. Get this, a good list of titles, and maybe even a price drop. It's funny, more and more game systems aren't fully getting "launch ready" until a year after launch. The 360 was much the same way.

I'd guess Fall 2008 for the price drop. they're happy with the sales of it right now. They're also happy with the sales of the PSP and that has yet to have a real price drop.

Wow...did Sony just throw down the gauntlet or what? I wonder how EA feels about it, since they essentially ripped off and are giving away The Sims Online for free.

That's pretty cool- taking the best of both of their competitor's online worlds and what-not. Just another reason to get one after a serious price drop. I'm glad that Sony is finally starting to do things right.

The main stuff will be free... But I'm sure the other content will cost money. Hopefully there won't be to big of a backlash once those details come out.

[quote name='elwood731']Wow...did Sony just throw down the gauntlet or what? I wonder how EA feels about it, since they essentially ripped off and are giving away The Sims Online for free.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing.

It looks good but I can't say I'm all that excited.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I thought I was posting in that thread, honest. Wasn't paying attention haha.[/quote]

Oh wow. I didn't notice it wasnt that thread either.

[quote name='TimPV3']This looks absolutely amazing. Xbox Live has officially been topped.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't go that far. Especially since there's a lot of other aspects of the PS3 Network they need to tune up.

I think this looks great (I would have preferred something "cute/stylish" like Miis or LitteBigWorld, but whatever). This just goes so far above and beyond a standard menu that I don't care if Sony essentially stole ideas from both XBL and Wii. They synthesized the different components perfectly, and it looks totally awesome.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Everyone who cheers for this is a moron.[/QUOTE]

I know I should just ignore posts like this, but....huh???

Back on-topic, Home looks incredible. There is a TON of potential in this, and I can't wait to see what all is done with it. My only question now is, how do you get in the beta? ;)

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']i guess i'm just one of those gamers that's got nothing to prove to others:booty:[/QUOTE]
Sure, some people use achievements as a way to prove how hardcore they are or whatever, but they're still good for other people as well. They basically give you another set of goals to achieve in the game. They're something to shoot for, and often keep games interesting even after you've finished them.

Honestly, I have never once even mentioned my GamerScore to anyone else, but it helps motivate me in some cases and makes me feel like I've actually achieved (heh) something by playing games. It's silly, yes, but surprisingly compelling.

As for PlayStation Home, it looks pretty amazing. They may in fact top Xbox Live if they can get this to work well with games and have it be free.

bread's done
Back