A

Apossum

Go check out this vid and tell me it doesn't look like a ton of fun:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=4491

--4 players
--3D graphics on a 2D plane
--Brilliant camera pulls out when the players are spread apart
--run around and do stuff
--little puzzles you have to figure out with everyone (ala 4 Swords)
--It's like Pikmin, 4 Swords, Loco Roco, and any 2D platformer all in one.

Update: 7/17/07
new info: Thanks Dpatel and Dallow

[quote name='dallow']Lots of new info!

Gamespot hands-on article:
http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174717&pid=938583&tag=topslot;action;1

Stream of them actually playing the game:
http://www.gamespot.com/video/938583/6174874/videoplayerpop?rgroup=e32007_videos[/QUOTE]

Highlights:
- Enemies (sort of)
- GDC level = ~5MB of space on PS3 HDD (most of it was loaded from BD info)
- 3 sizes of levels: Largest = ~100 meters x 100 meters
- 4 players on one console, possibly 8 online (not finalized yet)
- Some sort of customizable music feature (somewhat revealed in this video, but sounds like they want to keep this under wraps until TGS)
- Working on custom soundtracks and trophy integration.
- Pre-loaded with levels to play and unlock items
- Beta by the end of this year, full release by early summer 2008

new vid:
http://www.gamespot.com/video/938583...=e32007_videos

Cheapy D is going to love this. :)

Anyway, man I wish more 2D side sidescrollers started popping up that looked this good.

INFO:

LITTLEBIGPLANET™: EXPLORE, CREATE, SHARE.
Be Part of a Global PlayStation®3 Community Creating a Brand New Gaming World;
Genre-Defying, Astoundingly Imaginative –It’s More Than Just Gaming

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., March 7, 2007 -- Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios today revealed a glimpse of the LittleBigPlanet™ – the first creative gaming experience for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) – at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco, California. Developed by Media Molecule, LittleBigPlanet is a new PS3 community-based game with a hugely innovative concept behind it. Players meet on a blue and green planet scattered with individual plots – and use their character’s amazing abilities to play, create and share what they build with other gamers throughout the world via PLAYSTATION®Network.
The LittleBigPlanet experience starts with players learning about their character’s powers to interact physically with the environment. There are obstacles to explore, bits and pieces to collect and puzzles to solve – requiring a combination of brains and collaborative teamwork. As players begin to explore, their creative skills will grow and they will be ready to start creating and modifying their surroundings – the first step to sharing them with the whole community.
Characters have the power to move anything in this glued and stitched-together 3D landscape; they have the power to design, shape and build both objects and entire locations for others to view and play. There’s no complicated level editor; all of these skills can be learned by simply playing the game. Creativity is part of the gameplay experience and playing is part of the creative experience. Players can make their world as open or as secretive to explore as they like. When it’s ready, they can invite anyone within the LittleBigPlanet community to come and explore their patch – or can go and explore everybody else’s.

-- more –
SCEA Announces Little Big Planet
2-2-2-2

“We were confident that PS3 would be the platform to lead the way in creative gaming, and LittleBigPlanet brings this concept to life spectacularly,” said Phil Harrison, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios. “By giving players the power to shape and share an entire virtual world via PLAYSTATION Network, we've created the space for PS3 owners to realize their creativity and craft their own unique gameplay experience.”

So, how does it work?

 Play the game, learn the skills and then find your own way to play. There isn’t a set solution to anything – you live LittleBigPlanet however you want to.

 Create your own content – customize your character and build your own locations. You have the power to rearrange anything in this unbelievably tactile landscape.

 Build, move, create, collaborate – then share content with friends or publicly by inviting the whole world to come and visit your own location on LittleBigPlanet.

Key features:

• There’s not just one way to play. Players craft their own individual experience
• Unlimited possibilities for user-created content – players can customize everything: their characters, the landscape around them and their own patch on LittleBigPlanet
• Players discover and win new skills and items to aid them on their creative journey
• Initial levels will be provided – endless others will be user-generated on a global scale. LittleBigPlanet will change every day as players contribute their own levels
• Online and offline multiplayer modes – play alone, work as a team or get competitive
• LittleBigPlanet global community for players to get involved with: includes player comments, rankings and easy communication with new and existing friends

A demo of LittleBigPlanet for PS3 is slated for the PLAYSTATION Network this fall. The full version will follow in early 2008.

ss_preview_LittleBigPlanet_Screenshot_78a.bmp.jpg

ss_preview_LittleBigPlanet_Screenshot_63.bmp.jpg

That looks unbelievable. Reminds me of Lost Vikings a little in the gameplay (a little). But, my God--those visuals. Sheesh.

Well, that does it. I'm officially a PS3 fan, as of this moment. Seriously, it looks amazingly fun. Sony is the new Nintendo.

I'm also really excited about the "YouTube-like" possibility of crafting your own levels and uploading them, and then tracking how many people use it, etc. Sure, people will upload a ton of crap as well, but being able to rate each one you play will help tremendously. I'm totally excited.

[quote name='jkam']I think from a graphical standpoint this is the first next-gen game that made me actually say wow.[/quote]

For the PS3 or "next-Gen" in general?

This game looks like it is going to require a headset, because I think'll be hard to work with others to figure out the puzzles without them.

[quote name='Apossum']
--run around and do stuff[/QUOTE]
Nice PR work there, Apossum. You should ask Sony for a job. :lol:

The game looks fantastic.

Can a PS3 owner tell me how the voice chat works?
Can I use any USB headset?

[quote name='zewone']Can a PS3 owner tell me how the voice chat works?
Can I use any USB headset?[/quote]

You can use the PS2's USB headset yes. Pretty sure you can use other types of USB headsets as well. Along with connecting most bluetooth wireless headsets like the ones people have for their cellphones.

If this game ends up with some sort of worthwhile single player, and actually has replayability, I would buy a PS3. Eventually. Sooner than never, which was my expected purchase date.

[quote name='NamPaehc']For the PS3 or "next-Gen" in general?

This game looks like it is going to require a headset, because I think'll be hard to work with others to figure out the puzzles without them.[/QUOTE]

Next-gen in general. I'm not saying other games haven't looked good but they are mainly a jump in the vein of what we had with the PS2,XBOX, and CUBE. This looks completely fresh and the screenshots don't do it any justice.

[quote name='jkam']Next-gen in general. I'm not saying other games haven't looked good but they are mainly a jump in the vein of what we had with the PS2,XBOX, and CUBE. This looks completely fresh and the screenshots don't do it any justice.[/quote]Screenshot looked extremely blah, video looks great.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yes it will have single player and user created levels... Buy why don't you want to play with other people?[/quote]I would play with other people, but I have never in my life played enough online multiplayer to justify the cost of a game. Actually, scratch that... Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear was played online for months back in the day in the dorms, but that was LAN play. Other than that, no.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yes it will have single player and user created levels... Buy why don't you want to play with other people?[/QUOTE]

That's my main qualm right now: will it have a good single-player mode? Why? Because what's the fun of playing through a co-op puzzler where everyone else has already completed the puzzles several times over?

User created levels = great idea... i just hope it doesn't turn into some microtransaction crap where you need to buy parts to use them.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']That's my main qualm right now: will it have a good single-player mode? Why? Because what's the fun of playing through a co-op puzzler where everyone else has already completed the puzzles several times over?[/QUOTE]

The whole idea behind the game is allowing people to come up with their own levels. basically, you can make your own platformer.

and knowing that, this is easily one of my most anticipated games right now.

man, that gmae looks incredible. First thing yet, that makes me want a ps3. But, im not gonna drop 600 bucks. Especially for a game like that. Maybe i'll get a ps3 in like 5 years

I'd love it if Namco would redo Klonoa with Little Big planet graphics... or any other 2d platformer... this game represents the future of 2d platformers imo...

I kinda wish that Home used this style of gameplay (in 3D of course). Would've made Home a pretty fun 'game' in itself.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'd love it if Namco would redo Klonoa with Little Big planet graphics... or any other 2d platformer... this game represents the future of 2d platformers imo...[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

[quote name='dpatel']I kinda wish that Home used this style of gameplay (in 3D of course). Would've made Home a pretty fun 'game' in itself.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

Okay, with this along with Playstation Home, Sony is finally sparking some desires in me to purchase a PS3 this fall, or next year.

I.E. this looks fucking awesome.

From the 18 minute video, it looks like you can create levels while playing. I didn't notice a change in modes when they went from level creation to actual playing. So, I'm guessing that if you are every stuck in a level, you could just create some object to help you.

and 4 players is great, but I would love it if they just went with the full 7. I probably won't use more than 4, but it would be a nice option to have.

[quote name='dpatel']From the 18 minute video, it looks like you can create levels while playing. I didn't notice a change in modes when they went from level creation to actual playing. So, I'm guessing that if you are every stuck in a level, you could just create some object to help you. [/QUOTE]

I really hope they DON'T let you add in items whenever you want...I mean, what's the point of cleverly designed obstacles if you don't have to actually think to get past them? I hope there are two modes; one where you can create as you go, and a dry-run where you actually "beat" the levels.

Well from the keynote, Phil says:

"So even while you're playing the level, you can bring up the tools and start changing and creating the content experiance."

Not totally clear to me still though. There might be different kinds of levels or rules you can set after you publish your work and what not.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I really hope they DON'T let you add in items whenever you want...I mean, what's the point of cleverly designed obstacles if you don't have to actually think to get past them? I hope there are two modes; one where you can create as you go, and a dry-run where you actually "beat" the levels.[/quote]
I'd think that that would be just for testing levels, so you can quickly fix problem areas when you come upon them.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I really hope they DON'T let you add in items whenever you want...I mean, what's the point of cleverly designed obstacles if you don't have to actually think to get past them? I hope there are two modes; one where you can create as you go, and a dry-run where you actually "beat" the levels.[/quote]

Maybe it just allows for placing stickers and items that dont effect the level.

harrison noted a blu-ray and downloadable version. maybe the dl version will have all of the editing ability goodness to it, while the blu-ray version will have levels that are locked, or completely designed by the developers.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']harrison noted a blu-ray and downloadable version. maybe the dl version will have all of the editing ability goodness to it, while the blu-ray version will have levels that are locked, or completely designed by the developers.[/quote]

Yeh what I'm guessing is that you could buy the PSN version for cheaper and just download/buy courses while the full BR will give you the content in one package.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']How long does everything think this will be? I think although its cute, it doesn't look terribly deep.[/quote]

How long? With user created levels you have infinite replay value.

The PSP already has games like this. MegaMan Powered up has its own community of builder/players. And other titles like LocoRoco have free demo levels every once and a while that can be downloaded too.

[quote name='NamPaehc']How long? With user created levels you have infinite replay value.

The PSP already has games like this. MegaMan Powered up has its own community of builder/players. And other titles like LocoRoco have free demo levels every once and a while that can be downloaded too.[/quote]
Cool. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to buy a PS3 whenever Rachet drops. This will be a cool addition though.

This game looks AWESOME! I was watching video of it on Xplay last nght and I was blown away. There may be room in my entertainment center for a PS3 yet...

bread's done
Back