Super CAG Fighter Thread XXIIII - The New Challengers Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo Slice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
msuperstreetfighteriithtq1.jpg

Welcome to Cag Fighter Thread XXIIII, aka How I Learned to stop worrying and Love RelentlessRolento.

I loved him the moment I saw him kill a box.

anyway, Tekken vs. VF article. we won't iron out which one is better but I think we can all agree that the writer has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

[quote name='Apossum']I loved him the moment I saw him kill a box.

anyway, Tekken vs. VF article. we won't iron out which one is better but I think we can all agree that the writer has no idea what the hell he's talking about.[/QUOTE]

who can forget that luxurious mullet he had. it was all kinds of hot. not to mention those super manly "i'm gonna rape ya while you're sleeping" combat boots.

just being around the guy increases the average testosterone level of all humans by 13%.

[quote name='gigan54']who can forget that luxurious mullet he had. it was all kinds of hot. not to mention those super manly "i'm gonna rape ya while you're sleeping" combat boots.

just being around the guy increases the average testosterone level of all humans by 13%.[/QUOTE]

:D

Goddamn the AI in T5:DR is annoying. I got my J5 to Dragon Lord and it's starting to get on my nerves so bad. Still fun though.

[quote name='jimfoley16']
msuperstreetfighteriithtq1.jpg

Welcome to Cag Fighter Thread XXIIII, aka How I Learned to stop worrying and Love RelentlessRolento.[/QUOTE]

:lol: seems like I have people act like that towards me all the time :)

on the debate of VF vs. Tekken:

let's set it up like Tekken and VF are sports in the real world...

VF is like golf; strategic well placed shots with a ton of training needed. still good but obviously to a specific crowd.

Tekken is like basketball; everyone can pick it up in minutes but it takes time to get good at, has alot of flare, etc.

i doubt i'm clear, but who gives a bohemian rat cage about it.

also,for the EVO trip in may, I still don't know what's going on, but if I sell some games I designed this month at my school's art show I'll probably be good to go since some of my bills will be payed off.

lastly, we need to get back into playing gears of war or uno... I miss that social time where everyone decides to pick on me.

p.s. I need to change my avatar sometime back to bryan fury... post good pics of him sometime (mainly looking for headshots).

What a segue from that last post in the other thread. Oh, and honestly, the legitimacy of the roman numerals "XXIIII" is greater than anything I've done so far. I salute you.

Hmm... these last couple of threads have flown by really, really quickly.

Decent analogy, but I don't know. I feel like it's almost cliche to say "VF is more in depth, Tekken is easier to learn". I don't know that it's even necessarily true, I just feel like since it's less flashy, people think it's more technical. I understand and appreciate high-level VF play, but I also understand and appreciate all the hard work, training and intangibles that go into high level Tekken play.

To me, it's more like apples to oranges. They have enough similarities to be categorized together, but enough differences to appeal to entirely different crowds. Also, someone can be a fan of both apples and oranges, but they generally have a preference.

But yeah, 3 notes about DR PS3:

1) Does anyone else get a weird sort of haze on certain maps? I'm running it in 1080i and on certain stages, such as the 5.0 version of secret garden, or the 5.0 version of Moonlight Wilderness, it is a bit fuzzy. Dunno what's up with that.

2) I have experienced slowdown twice. Once while hitting Roger JR w/ J5's DF+2 on Poolside Paradise (5.0 version) and another time while fitting Panda (also w/ J5).

3) My J5 is finally Dark Lord. Final Record (I won't be playing Ghost battle w/ him anymore) is 260 and 11. Next up is Kaz I think., Maybe Heihachi.

[quote name='Chacrana']What a segue from that last post in the other thread. Oh, and honestly, the legitimacy of the roman numerals "XXIIII" is greater than anything I've done so far. I salute you.
Hmm... these last couple of threads have flown by really, really quickly.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA. I didn't even realize. I'm so damn tired but I have to wait for Lost to be on so I'm in a bit of daze. I'm certainly not going to change it at this point, although I feel kinda stupid haha :whistle2:#

Like I said though, to 1337 to change.

new tattoo tomorrow..... yay!

that tekken vs. vf article is so crappy. you can tell when you read that tekken has dial-a-combos comparable to killer instinct. lolz.

i don't like debating that either has more depth. they're both fun and they both have completely different elements about them. vf seems to exhaust my mind more, but tekken has a bigger emphasis on controlling space.

i think they're both easy to pick up too. i don't like it when people think vf is soooo hard to get into. the training mode is daunting, but if you just pick it up and play and experiment, you still learn a lot. the only thing that might seem more difficult is that it's easier to see frame advantage/disadvantage in tekken. i don't know why, but it is. maybe it's because in tekken, when you hit people sparks and blood come out and the animations are more distinct. that's my guess.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Tekken is the superior game, Virtua Fighter has no style at all, nor any likable characters... however, let's continue that discussion here![/QUOTE]

What do you consider is "style?"

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']What do you consider is "style?"[/QUOTE]

Style in this instance meaning character design... it's like the creators were like, let's have generic karate guy, generic american(spikey hair,flamboyant style), generic black dude(big, muscular, seemingly unintelligent), generic ninja, generic old man, generic wrestler, generic monk character, generic oriental girl... That's just my opinion though, you're welcome to disagree.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Style in this instance meaning character design... it's like the creators were like, let's have generic karate guy, generic american(spikey hair,flamboyant style), generic black dude(big, muscular, seemingly unintelligent), generic ninja, generic old man, generic wrestler, generic monk character, generic oriental girl... That's just my opinion though, you're welcome to disagree.[/quote]

They weren't generic back in '93. It's all a matter of perspective.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Style in this instance meaning character design... it's like the creators were like, let's have generic karate guy, generic american(spikey hair,flamboyant style), generic black dude(big, muscular, seemingly unintelligent), generic ninja, generic old man, generic wrestler, generic monk character, generic oriental girl... That's just my opinion though, you're welcome to disagree.[/QUOTE]

"Style" shouldn't be limited to character design. I think gameplay is a larger part.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']"Style" shouldn't be limited to character design. I think gameplay is a larger part.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I don't really think that Virtua Fighter dominates that category either. Maybe because I haven't had the chance to actively participate in high level VF play.

Either way, IMO Tekken > VF, but feel free to differ. To each his own.

3s > Tekken + VF anyway

Getting Heihachi to Dark Lord should be the easiest :)

d+1,2 all day...

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']That's too bad cause VF is a much better game.[/QUOTE]

Regarding this... I won't deny it. I feel 100% that VF has a better 3D fighting game system. But still. Who plays that shit? That's my major gripe.

I posted about something similar earlier this year.... It went something like this....

[quote name='MarkMan on virtuafighter.com']I'm a Tekken player and fan... probably one of the most hardcore Tekken nuts out there... I've played VF since VF2 and actually read up and tried to learn the game(mostly played with VF4 and VF4 EVO)... I even got a few of my friends to start playing here...

While I'm tried and true a die hard Tekken fan til' I die... I can tell the polish and shine put into VF... it's an amazing game and it does SO MUCH that I wish Tekken would have. I think one thing for sure... Tekken is much easier to get into... easier to teach, easier to learn... and for me, easier to enjoy. It's simple yes. Does it feel rewarding? Depends... I live in an area where competition for this game is ENDLESS... we have one of the biggest crews around and we're always willing to play.

But for VF... I don't have that luxury... but I LOVE watching/trying things out... I really hope VF5 blows up over here so that more and more people can experience the game and not nominate shit like Mortal Kombat Armageddon and Smackdown vs Raw for fighting games of the year.... T.T ...

I'll be going to Japan sometime this year and one of the main reasons I'm going is to watch/play Tekken and other games at arcades in Japan....

I'm sure the experience there will be much better than it is over here....

Here's to hoping that 2007 doesn't only bring the games... it' brings the players..[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jimfoley16']I agree, but I don't really think that Virtua Fighter dominates that category either. Maybe because I haven't had the chance to actively participate in high level VF play.

Either way, IMO Tekken > VF, but feel free to differ. To each his own.

3s > Tekken + VF anyway[/QUOTE]

VF would be more fun if more people played it (or it was online). But I blame the learning curve. My opinion isn't to far from yours:

3s > VF > Tekken

However I didn't add KOF to that equation.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']They weren't generic back in '93. It's all a matter of perspective.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, Tekken was released just a year later and certainly has had it's characters age much better. I think this due largely to the fact that the characters develop in looks as the series went on, whereas with Virtua Fighter the characters look pretty much the same with much more pretty costumes and graphics (w/ a few exceptions, such as Lau).

For example:

Jeffrey from VF1:
1068171536pf0.jpg

Jeffrey from VF4:
character1fx2.th.jpg

Kazuya from T1:
kazuyavskingmi5.th.jpg

Kazuya from T5:DR:
kazuya5yy6.jpg

(Sorry couldn't find any good Akira pics, or a decent pic of Jeffrey from VF5. Hope it still articulates my point.)

edit: didn't realize the pics were so small. Oh well.

I honestly think that the learning curve for VF compared to other games isn't that bad.

Sure the game is deep, but most games played nowadays at high competitive levels have enough depth/know how... I think VF5 is a lot easier to get into compared to 4/EVO/FT... It helps that throw breaking is easier now too and more user friendly with the throw clash system.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']VF would be more fun if more people played it (or it was online). But I blame the learning curve. My opinion isn't to far from yours:

3s > VF > Tekken

However I didn't add KOF to that equation.[/QUOTE]

I still say 2d fighters should not be compared to 3d. that's treading dangerous waters.

one thing that may fix alot of VF problems is one thing: make the damn story important! People are attached to ryu, yes cuz his moves are neato, but he's a wandering warrior who has a millionare best friend and is battling an inner deamon tot take him over... kazuya has a fucked up family and has been possesed by the devil thus screwing his entire family and everyone in the figthing tournament... Kage has, um, Dural.

[quote name='kainzero']that tekken vs. vf article is so crappy. you can tell when you read that tekken has dial-a-combos comparable to killer instinct. lolz.

hit people sparks and blood come out and the animations are more distinct. that's my guess.[/quote]

this man is trippin

[quote name='MarkMan']I honestly think that the learning curve for VF compared to other games isn't that bad.[/QUOTE]

Seriously I could master 3 - 4 fighters in Tekken quicker than I could master 1 in VF. But that doesn't mean the game is better. I'm still training with Akira.

Akira's G+K (release G after one frame) is freaking mindblowing to prefrom. Anyone got tips one this.?

What would you say is 'mastering' a character? I mean, I don't think anyone can say they can 'master' any character in a fighting game... what you can do everyone's moves or something is that it?

The only way you can find out if you're GOOD with a character is by either stomping up some competition, even then, that won't help much unless you can compare it to everyone else.

Honestly I can do anything/everything with any character in VF/Tekken... all it takes is some practice, and that is it. Using them in gameplay is where it matters IMO. Just train... heck I can train with any character in Tekken, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

As far as Akira's K+G knee... just hit them together and slide/let go of the buttons ASAP... It's just something you need to get used to... on a good day I can perform it in combos.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']lastly, we need to get back into playing gears of war or uno... [/QUOTE]...or maybe Worms? :D

What's up y'all, nice new thread you got here!

This weekend I was at The Break again, for the first time since last May. It was quite refreshing! And oh man, those cheese steaks... they haven't missed a beat. An MK compatriot of mine was telling me about some arcade spot in NYC... part bar, part arcade, apparently called "Barcade" or something like that. Anyone familiar with it?

oh and lol at the pic in the first post. It was funny how they always insisted on putting some hideous American artwork on Street Fighter stuff, up until the Alpha games.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Ehh, Tekken was released just a year later and certainly has had it's characters age much better. I think this due largely to the fact that the characters develop in looks as the series went on, whereas with Virtua Fighter the characters look pretty much the same with much more pretty costumes and graphics (w/ a few exceptions, such as Lau).[/quote]

Didn't all the Tekken characters age 30 years (or something) between games?
Of course they have to look diffferent. It's part of the STORY.

Beyond the character descriptions in the manual, you wont find ANY story in VF. It's all about the fighting. And Suzuki's attempts to make it a realistic experience (floaty jumps not withstanding) preclude the use of feathery wings, laser beams, giant robots, panda bears and animated practice dummies.

Kazuya shirtless and Kazuya in a suit seems like a "pretty costume" change to me. :D

(This is all in good fun JF, I'm a Tekken fan as well.)

[quote name='BustaUppa']...or maybe Worms? :D[/QUOTE]

We do need more Worms, and none of that 3D crap. Anyways back on topic:

Anyone ever play a Sega CD game "Revengers of Venegance?" It was a Fighting/RPG. I'm surprised the genre did take off more in the late - mid 90's.

Markman - When I mean master I guess to the point where I just feel comfortable. Can't really explain the feeling. I can say I've mastered Billy Kane (KOF 98), at least at one point I did.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']We do need more Worms, and none of that 3D crap. Anyways back on topic:

Anyone ever play a Sega CD game "Revengers of Venegance?" It was a Fighting/RPG. I'm surprised the genre did take off more in the late - mid 90's.[/QUOTE]Did "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" fall into that category? Or was JJBA more of a straight-up action title? I came close to buying that for Dreamcast a couple of times, but I never really knew enough about it.

What about Tobal? That's like a story-based RPG-ish fighter, right? I picked that up on a whim a while ago for a couple of bucks. Haven't played it yet but I've always heard good things about it. My PS1 backlog is ridiculous.

Tobal was more dungeon crawler/fighting. I'm not sure if Tobal 2 had an actual story but no.1 didn't. I love quest mode in that game, I still play it every once in a while :)

wish I could play Worms with you guys...no more 360 for me for the time being. Decided to sell it for my new LCD (arriving in 4 hours...can't fucking wait!) but I'll be back on in a few months, since I'm finally employing my ass :)

[quote name='BustaUppa']Did "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" fall into that category? Or was JJBA more of a straight-up action title? I came close to buying that for Dreamcast a couple of times, but I never really knew enough about it.[/quote]
JJBA was a straight-up 2D figher with some neat mechanics. It can probably be found pretty cheap, and it wouldn't hurt to pick it up for < $10. Some neat characters too.

co-sign with markman on mastering characters.. a real measure of skill is how well you play your characters against other players. in high-level play, where strat is your focus, execution should be assumed to be 100% anyway.

that's why it's kinda intimidating when i fuck up in marvel at some tourneys, you start hearing the crowd yelling and giving you shit.. it's funny when you see it happen to other people, but it really throws off your game when it happens to you.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Did "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" fall into that category? Or was JJBA more of a straight-up action title? I came close to buying that for Dreamcast a couple of times, but I never really knew enough about it.

What about Tobal? That's like a story-based RPG-ish fighter, right? I picked that up on a whim a while ago for a couple of bucks. Haven't played it yet but I've always heard good things about it. My PS1 backlog is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

The JoJo for Dreamcast is a strait up fighter. No RPG elements at all. I'm not sure about the PS2 cell-shaded JoJo's. It's a great fighter, I liked it so much I got into collecting the Manga. Apparently JoJo's was one of the most succesful and influencial Mangas in Japan.

[quote name='Apossum']Tobal was more dungeon crawler/fighting. I'm not sure if Tobal 2 had an actual story but no.1 didn't. I love quest mode in that game, I still play it every once in a while :)

wish I could play Worms with you guys...no more 360 for me for the time being. Decided to sell it for my new LCD (arriving in 4 hours...can't fucking wait!) but I'll be back on in a few months, since I'm finally employing my ass :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got my new monitor today. It's fucking beautiful. Seriously. I cannot believe that this is what my computer was trying to show me all along. It's so... perfect.

Oh, and I'll be on XBL tonight for the folks who have it :lol:

So what is all this "I just got (insert Tekken Guy here) to Dark Lord" mean? Is that like, going back and playing through arcade mode again with the same character and they rank up?

[quote name='Ahadi']So what is all this "I just got (insert Tekken Guy here) to Dark Lord" mean? Is that like, going back and playing through arcade mode again with the same character and they rank up?[/QUOTE]

basically yes.

it's like hitting the peak of everest with a certain character.

[quote name='kristianator']co-sign with markman on mastering characters.. a real measure of skill is how well you play your characters against other players. [/QUOTE]and speaking of that, I just found out FFA arcade in SoCal is doing T5 DR ranbats~!!

it's not too far from me, and the next one or March 17!!

now I can see how good I am and learn a few things as well.

I think xiaoyu is top 5 in popularity there tho...

[quote name='JEKKI']and speaking of that, I just found out FFA arcade in SoCal is doing T5 DR ranbats~!!

it's not too far from me, and the next one or March 17!!

now I can see how good I am and learn a few things as well.

I think xiaoyu is top 5 in popularity there tho...[/QUOTE]So you go to FFA huh? Maybe I should dust off my controller and meet you there... ;)

The good Xiaoyu player there is JMS. Everyone basically has their own character, though, so popularity doesn't really matter.

Current results:
1st: Kane (Devil Jin)
2nd: Rip (Law)
3rd: YMR (Bruce)
4th: JMS (Xiaoyu)

[quote name='kristianator']
that's why it's kinda intimidating when i fuck up in marvel at some tourneys, you start hearing the crowd yelling and giving you shit.. it's funny when you see it happen to other people, but it really throws off your game when it happens to you.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Regardless of how many people are at a said tournament, I always feel the pressure.

I know I don't have to play 100% perfect, but with so many people watching you, a part of you wants to impress/do your best. I throw a fit when I make stupid mistakes in CVS2 against regular people in arcades. It multiplies times 100 when I am playing the game in a tournament. Usually involves stuff about me beating myself up for not being patient, playing into someone's trap, etc etc..

It is always nice to have people come and give you positive comments on your play though. Makes the pressure you put on yourself feel sort of worth it.

Damn all this talk about Tekken DR for PS3. Stop making me want one guys.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']When's cardfighters coming out finally?[/QUOTE]

supposedly april, but release dates mean nothing to SNK Playmore USA anymore...

also, just got back from 300... go see it, but not with a girl... testosterone city. I was so pumped after watching it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']supposedly april, but release dates mean nothing to SNK Playmore USA anymore...

also, just got back from 300... go see it, but not with a girl... testosterone city. I was so pumped after watching it.[/QUOTE]

Lawl, like you'd go with a girl. :lol:

Kidding, Rolento. I saw the movie too and it was fucking fantastic. And I typically hate movies. Like fighting games? Go see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back