My hinge has cracked :(

johnnypark

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
So, I noticed today that the left hinge on my DS Lite has cracked. I saw all the hoopla about it when this 1st became an issue (maybe 2-3 months after launch?) and I know Nintendo will fix them for free, but has anyone else had this happen?

I know it doesn't really effect anything and it still works fine, but I'm afraid that A) it's going to get worse or B) if I ever sell or trade it that it'll hurt it's value. Since Nintendo fixes it for free is it worth my time and energy to get it done? Or should I just not care?

BTW if this has been discussed at any great length before then sorry for the new thread, but I couldn't find any threads about it,

My hinge is cracked. I'm not going to call Nintendo until it get a lot worse though, because right now it's just cosmetic.

I know it's possible that it can get bad and the thing can break right in half.

Reading this made me look at my DS and my grilfriend's DS. Sadly her DS has the hinge crack, even worse hers is a Navy Blue Japanese DS lite so there's no way I can get NoA to replace it :(

[quote name='johnnypark']So, I noticed today that the left hinge on my DS Lite has cracked. I saw all the hoopla about it when this 1st became an issue (maybe 2-3 months after launch?) and I know Nintendo will fix them for free, but has anyone else had this happen?

I know it doesn't really effect anything and it still works fine, but I'm afraid that A) it's going to get worse or B) if I ever sell or trade it that it'll hurt it's value. Since Nintendo fixes it for free is it worth my time and energy to get it done? Or should I just not care?

BTW if this has been discussed at any great length before then sorry for the new thread, but I couldn't find any threads about it,[/QUOTE]
What color is your DS? I havent heard anything cracking on the black DS which is what I have.

Just noticed mine two weeks ago - I called Nintendo, sent mine in (at my expense), and they sent me a new DS (for no additional cost).

[quote name='iazybandit']What color is your DS? I havent heard anything cracking on the black DS which is what I have.[/quote]

Launch day, iPod-wannabe Polar White. It hasn't given me any problems otherwise, and I play it pretty regularly, probably more than most people.

[quote name='yakkotank']Just noticed mine two weeks ago - I called Nintendo, sent mine in (at my expense), and they sent me a new DS (for no additional cost).[/QUOTE]
The outter casing is new, but the innards such as mobo, screens are refurbs. Like for the DS you sent in, they'll just take the casing off, slap on a new one and send it out to those who needs a replacement. This goes for all exchanges done through manufacturer. Costs them pratically nothing and they dont lose anything except for housing and shipping.

[quote name='iazybandit']The outter casing is new, but the innards such as mobo, screens are refurbs. Like for the DS you sent in, they'll just take the casing off, slap on a new one and send it out to those who needs a replacement. This goes for all exchanges done through manufacturer. Costs them pratically nothing and they dont lose anything except for housing and shipping.[/quote]

Hmm... I wonder if they just replace the top portion since that's where the crack is, or if they re-do the whole thing? I have half a mind to call and ask if they could give me a black top instead of a white one, and get a 1/2 white 1/2 black one. That would be so awesome.

[quote name='iazybandit']The outter casing is new, but the innards such as mobo, screens are refurbs. Like for the DS you sent in, they'll just take the casing off, slap on a new one and send it out to those who needs a replacement. This goes for all exchanges done through manufacturer. Costs them pratically nothing and they dont lose anything except for housing and shipping.[/quote]

True as this may be, you still have to give them credit for their swift customer service.

My DS lite was cracked, I called them, they sent me a label for me to use when shipping, and I got a replacement within the week.

[quote name='johnnypark']Hmm... I wonder if they just replace the top portion since that's where the crack is, or if they re-do the whole thing? I have half a mind to call and ask if they could give me a black top instead of a white one, and get a 1/2 white 1/2 black one. That would be so awesome.[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard they won't give you a different color on a repair or replace service. Given that I don't think there's any way they'd do a 50/50 white/black job.

My hinge is cracked, but I still haven't gotten around to contacting N for the repair. There is a big thread dealing with this I think, but maybe it's time to start with a fresh one, plus I'm too lazy to track it down ATM. :mrgreen:

I noticed mine was cracked the other day too.

I'm not worrying about it though. My screens are perfect (no stuck or dead pixels) so I don't want to risk an exchange for something that's just cosmetic.

For those with cracks, did your screen make a high pitch clicking sound when it snaps into place? I have a fat one as well and it doesn't click, it sorta thuds into place. My lite isn't cracked, but I am worried that it will.

My DSl had the cracked hinge for a while, but then it actually started crapping out on me and crashing all the time, so I called Nintendo.

They sent me out a refurb DSl and a return shipping slip to send my old one back to them. The refurb DSl was newer than new, you could not tell that it was a refurb. I sent my old unit back and have been happy ever since. Cost me nothing, and I was only without a lite for about 4 days. 4 loooong days tho, cos I was in the middle of CV:poR, lol.

Yep my hinge just cracked again as well. This is the fourth ds I have had this problem on. This is a manufacturing/design defect. All four have been the polar white model. The first three were replaced gratis by NOA, but this time around they want to charge me 75$. I'm bummed. I may look into buying a replacement case from a third party and changing it myself. Anyone know if those shock cases are any good?

[quote name='DrediKnight']Yep my hinge just cracked again as well. This is the fourth ds I have had this problem on. This is a manufacturing/design defect. [/quote]

Hmm...Well, my warranty is good til August or so, a year from when they came out. I think I'm going to wait to contact them so that if there is a recurring problem I'll get the maximum use out of my warranty.

It seems as though this problem isn't as consistent w/ the other colors? I'm considering selling my white and buying an onyx if that's the case, is it worth my trouble?

[quote name='DrediKnight']Yep my hinge just cracked again as well. This is the fourth ds I have had this problem on. This is a manufacturing/design defect. All four have been the polar white model. The first three were replaced gratis by NOA, but this time around they want to charge me 75$. I'm bummed. I may look into buying a replacement case from a third party and changing it myself. Anyone know if those shock cases are any good?[/QUOTE]
I remember seeing a picture on the web that had the same problem with cracked hinges

[quote name='johnnypark']Hmm... I wonder if they just replace the top portion since that's where the crack is, or if they re-do the whole thing? I have half a mind to call and ask if they could give me a black top instead of a white one, and get a 1/2 white 1/2 black one. That would be so awesome.[/QUOTE]
They dont change it on yours..they just give you whatever is laying around in stock that has already been repaired.

[quote name='Rasen']True as this may be, you still have to give them credit for their swift customer service.

My DS lite was cracked, I called them, they sent me a label for me to use when shipping, and I got a replacement within the week.[/QUOTE]
I'm not doubting or complaining about their CS even though I havent contacted them ever. Just letting users know that they are technically getting a BRAND NEW system. It just looks new.

[quote name='magiic']my girlfriend's came out of the box cracked[/quote]
Fixed.

Otherwise, it could bear a totally different meaning ;)

[quote name='DrediKnight']Yep my hinge just cracked again as well. This is the fourth ds I have had this problem on. This is a manufacturing/design defect. All four have been the polar white model. The first three were replaced gratis by NOA, but this time around they want to charge me 75$. I'm bummed. I may look into buying a replacement case from a third party and changing it myself. Anyone know if those shock cases are any good?[/quote]

The same thing happened to me. After the 4th white DSL hinge cracked, I wrote an e-mail to NOA describing the problem and how I'd replaced my original DSL 3x already and the same problem occurred. 2 days later, I received a call from a representative that offered to send me a brand new (not refurbished) DSL in the color of my choice - I went with pink. Granted, it took about 2 weeks, since I had to send my cracked DSL to their headquarters in Redmond WA, but well worth it IMO.

[quote name='alison']The same thing happened to me. After the 4th white DSL hinge cracked, I wrote an e-mail to NOA describing the problem and how I'd replaced my original DSL 3x already and the same problem occurred. 2 days later, I received a call from a representative that offered to send me a brand new (not refurbished) DSL in the color of my choice - I went with pink. Granted, it took about 2 weeks, since I had to send my cracked DSL to their headquarters in Redmond WA, but well worth it IMO.[/quote]

Awesome.

Nintendo has some of the best CS around.

[quote name='gimmepilotwings']Awesome.

Nintendo has some of the best CS around.[/quote]

They truly do. When the CS rep called me, he was more than polite, and literally said, "We want you to be happy with your purchase." I have yet to find a company with better CS than Nintendo (and given the state of companies today, I seriously doubt I will!).

i got a launch ds lite and minez barely cracked in like january... but IMO i think it is worth your time and energy, it is free and they are really quick about it cuz they sent my ds back to me in less than a week (3-4 days if i do recall)

Do you have to have the DS purchased within 1 year (the warranty period) in order to get a free hinge fix? Also, how do they fix it, by giving it a new shell/case, or giving you a refurbished DS?

[quote name='alison']The same thing happened to me. After the 4th white DSL hinge cracked, I wrote an e-mail to NOA describing the problem and how I'd replaced my original DSL 3x already and the same problem occurred. 2 days later, I received a call from a representative that offered to send me a brand new (not refurbished) DSL in the color of my choice - I went with pink. Granted, it took about 2 weeks, since I had to send my cracked DSL to their headquarters in Redmond WA, but well worth it IMO.[/quote]

Nice! I'm gonna give it a try. Did you use the email form on nintendo.com or do you have a different addy? When my 2nd one broke I tried to swap it out for a black one, but they would not do it. The polar white ones hinge has problems and I'm hoping to get one that is more durable. I looked into the shock replcaement cases (the chrome one looks nice) and will go that route if NOA will not make good on this.

[quote name='eau']Do you have to have the DS purchased within 1 year (the warranty period) in order to get a free hinge fix? Also, how do they fix it, by giving it a new shell/case, or giving you a refurbished DS?[/QUOTE]
As I stated, they'll just send another DS. They keep your DS and send out a refurb DS to you. This saves them time and it gets to you quicker. The serial number probably wouldnt match what is on your box. While they keep yours to repair, they'll probably send it out to a warehouse or in-house that does repairs. Once they repair it (no rush for them since they already sent your replacement), they'll just put it on a shelf or stock somewhere until someone has a problem with their DS, they'll just grab your DS and give it to someone else.

Depending on the situation and condition of damage, it may just be a shell change or a total gut/replacement.

[quote name='eau']Do you have to have the DS purchased within 1 year (the warranty period) in order to get a free hinge fix? Also, how do they fix it, by giving it a new shell/case, or giving you a refurbished DS?[/quote] there is a one year warranty on you ds i believe...

and about the refurbished or new shell thing, i guess it all depends...

i have a launch ds lite and i know for sure that it is the same ds but with a different shell, i know for sure because i have hori screen protectors on it and the rubber grips on the back and my shoulder buttons are a lil off white instead of just plain white and when i got it back it was all the same except i noticed the serial code sticker is a lil misplaced and falling off

but supposedly there is a new shell for the ds lite where the hinges wont crack like the older ones but if they do then i guess they just send you a refurbished ds lite instead of just fixing it like they did to minez so yeah...

[quote name='anarchyburger']there is a one year warranty on you ds i believe...

and about the refurbished or new shell thing, i guess it all depends...

i have a launch ds lite and i know for sure that it is the same ds but with a different shell, i know for sure because i have hori screen protectors on it and the rubber grips on the back and my shoulder buttons are a lil off white instead of just plain white and when i got it back it was all the same except i noticed the serial code sticker is a lil misplaced and falling off

but supposedly there is a new shell for the ds lite where the hinges wont crack like the older ones but if they do then i guess they just send you a refurbished ds lite instead of just fixing it like they did to minez so yeah...[/QUOTE]
I guess companies handle things differently. And with the serial code sticker being misplaced and falling off, they probably did remove it and placed it on a new shell.

[quote name='DrediKnight']Nice! I'm gonna give it a try. Did you use the email form on nintendo.com or do you have a different addy? When my 2nd one broke I tried to swap it out for a black one, but they would not do it. The polar white ones hinge has problems and I'm hoping to get one that is more durable. I looked into the shock replcaement cases (the chrome one looks nice) and will go that route if NOA will not make good on this.[/quote]

I used the e-mail form on nintendo.com. It takes a couple of days for them to get back to you, but it works. Don't mention anything about wanting to trade it in for a different color, though, since that'll just look a bit suspicious - simply describe what you've gone thru over the months with having each system crack, emphasize that you don't misuse your DSL (hasn't been dropped/kicked/stomped/sat on/etc.), that you're a loyal customer...I'm sure you get the point by now, but feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. :)

I'm a bit confused. Did the DSL cracked due to use or did you drop it or something?

I got my DSL Black a few months ago, and I've accidently opened it "flat" a few times (my kid pulled the upper screen while I was playing).. but luckly have not noticed any problems yet..

It's just normal wear and tear. I've never dropped mine or anything. It's just a design defect and most of them seem to be cracking sooner or later.

That said its a barely noticeable cosmetic flaw, and doesn't effect the opening/closing of the system or anything else, so it's not big deal unless your anal and have to have your stuff in mint condition.

I'm not and will live with mine since the screens are perfect. No sense risking getting one with pixel issues etc. to replace a problem that doesn't bother me at all.

Just to let everyone know incase you didnt.....if you register your dsl on nintendos website it extends the warranty.cant remember if its a 30 or 90 day extention.

[quote name='zer0-cool']Just to let everyone know incase you didnt.....if you register your dsl on nintendos website it extends the warranty.cant remember if its a 30 or 90 day extention.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is by far the best between the 3 company's when it comes to customer care :) my ds fat hinge cracked, send it off and within two weeks it was fixed :) I got my warranty extended for another year too :)

I live in los angeles and i mailed off my hinge cracked dsl on a monday night to get it back thursday afternoon that same week. I was expecting a quick turn around but not that fast :D

My DS Lite got a crack, but that enough didn't make me want to send it in, eventually I had some other issues with the system (freezing, not reading game cards, OTHER HINGE BROKE!) So I sent mine back recently, got it back FAST, about 3 days. They also paid all shipping costs as well so didn't cost me a dime. amazing customer service. Since I had other issues with my DS they completely replaced my DSL with a new one, so sorry I can't help you on whether they will send you a whole new one just for a cracked hinge or not.

You can check out the major hinge crackage (meaning cracked and completely broke off) on my old DS here if at all interested http://gamemusic4all.blogspot.com/2007/01/ds-noooo.html

[quote name='genoboost']My DS Lite got a crack, but that enough didn't make me want to send it in, eventually I had some other issues with the system (freezing, not reading game cards, OTHER HINGE BROKE!) So I sent mine back recently, got it back FAST, about 3 days. They also paid all shipping costs as well so didn't cost me a dime. amazing customer service. Since I had other issues with my DS they completely replaced my DSL with a new one, so sorry I can't help you on whether they will send you a whole new one just for a cracked hinge or not.

You can check out the major hinge crackage (meaning cracked and completely broke off) on my old DS here if at all interested http://gamemusic4all.blogspot.com/2007/01/ds-noooo.html[/quote]

Oh man, that looks awful! And my warranty is up in June... I'll probably have to send it in before then, if it has the potential to get that much worse!

I guess if warranty is a year I'll wait a bit longer before I send mine in. I bought it 2nd week of november of last year.

Remember when this started happening and Nintendo stated that "less than 0.02 percent of the total number of DS Lites sold has the problem":lol:.

I bought mine when the DS Lites first came out and I just started playing it and lo and behold...I just got the famous crack on the left hinge on my system:bomb:

My question is, should I replace it? I really don't care, but I'm wondering if it'll get worse over time, and then I'll start to care...especially since my warranty will expire in June...

From what I've heard from people who had there's crack months ago, it hasn't gotten anyworse.

It's just cosmetic damage, and once it cracks thats it. It just cracked as there was tension in that one spot. Once it cracks that's gone and there's nothing else to worry about as long as you can live with the crack.

As I said, I can as my screens are perfect and I don't want to hassle with worrying about getting one with a muddy screen or dead/stuck pixels etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']From what I've heard from people who had there's crack months ago, it hasn't gotten anyworse.

It's just cosmetic damage, and once it cracks thats it. It just cracked as there was tension in that one spot. Once it cracks that's gone and there's nothing else to worry about as long as you can live with the crack.

As I said, I can as my screens are perfect and I don't want to hassle with worrying about getting one with a muddy screen or dead/stuck pixels etc.[/quote]

Awesome, I might just keep it then, as I really don't care and I'm just concerned that it'll get worse. On the other hand, if I do return it, I'm wondering what the likelihood of it cracking again is...

[quote name='nesfan8222']I live in los angeles and i mailed off my hinge cracked dsl on a monday night to get it back thursday afternoon that same week. I was expecting a quick turn around but not that fast :D[/quote]

That's probably because there's a Nintendo repair center nearby in Chatsworth. I have the good fortune to be able to drive 10 minutes over there and get my Nintendo products fixed while I wait. That said, I've never even needed to have anything fixed! :)

I've had mine for almost a year now and it jus now has the crack down up on that left hinge. I have the Gamestop warrenty plan....do you think there's anyway I can return it and get a different colored ds?

Mine is cracked too, since I got the warranty do you think I can get a new one from gamestop?

So, just for clarification, the problem with the cracking is affecting white ds lites only? I'm getting a black one soon and you guys are starting to make me worried.

bread's done
Back