CAG Firearm Thread Redux

Hex

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Note: The last thread was locked because someone complained about it. I asked Shrike if we could have another thread, and he said it was alright. Now, for those who complained about the old topic: Why aren't CAG guns owners allowed a thread? There's a thread for favourite beer, music, wrestling fans, etc etc. We have as much of a right to be here as any other non-gaming hobby thread.

Now, onto the meat of the topic! The purpose original firearm thread was to share what rifles, shotgun and handguns CAGs tool around with in their spare time, and tips on what models/calibres/manufacturers are the best, so let's keep that goin' here too. Let's (mainly, me) refrain from discussing loopholes in Federal law, also. ;)

I'll start off with my latest 'purchase', a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S. Here's where I'm proud to be a CAG: Normally, AR-15s are out of my price range, since they often hover around $1000 for mid-range models. However, I had about 6 guns in my locker that I wasn't interested in, the primary reason being they were either too expensive to shoot, or our range wouldn't allow them. So, having had my mind set on a .223 gun for a while, I decided to sell as many of the old rifles as I could. The Bushmaster I had eyed and reserved at the store was about $950 new off the shelf, so I was hopig to get $800 out of my RPK and AKMSU, and $200 out of the other three crappy old bolt action rifles (A Mosin Nagant, Lee Enfield and 1938 Mauser)... And here I am with a brand new AR for $0.00. Definitely a sound buy, in my opinion. The Burris scope and mount that fit to the carry handle were apparently worth around $200 for the two, so I made out on that deal too, as they came with the rifle. Here's a picture:

pix1041630546.jpg

SA58 SPR Rifle, baby. When you absolutely have to assassinate someone.

I'm saving up for a good scope. It's going to take me a good long while, especially considering recent financial difficulties. And no, I'm not selling it because I got this bitch WELL below MSRP as a grad gift.

[quote name='naes']IMO, guns should only be used for hunting.[/quote]
Guns are ONLY used for hunting. Hunting people, animals, cars, whatever.

;)

[quote name='2poor']Guns are ONLY used for hunting. Hunting people, animals, cars, whatever.

;)[/quote]
Just doing what you can to keep those damned aluminum cans and paper sillhouettes from taking over the world!

Bless you, heroes. :cry:

Hex, that's looking pretty nice. I was looking at those a while back. Did Bushmaster change their website recently? Looks different. Are you planning on sticking a flash suppressor on that at all?

[quote name='naes']IMO, guns should only be used for hunting.[/quote]
Enjoy your despotism.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Hex, that's looking pretty nice. I was looking at those a while back. Did Bushmaster change their website recently? Looks different. Are you planning on sticking a flash suppressor on that at all?[/quote]
Thankya. I haven't checked their website, actually, so I dunno. And yes, I definitely do. It's ugly without one. ;)

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Hex, that's looking pretty nice. I was looking at those a while back. Did Bushmaster change their website recently? Looks different. Are you planning on sticking a flash suppressor on that at all?[/quote]

Thankya. I haven't checked their website, actually, so I dunno. And yes, I deffinitely do. It's ugly without one. ;)

I want to buy a spec. ops. outfit with the little rope thing and all that jazz. And maybe some kind of gun to go with it. And just break through peoples skylights in the middle of the night and steal their bagels. and leaves with my rope.

[quote name='CheapyD']
page-1945.jpg
[/quote]

I'd almost call you a cheater.. except I remember that Japan's made *all* firearms illegal. Poor Cheapy. :(

... I just don't think that people need machine guns, pistols, ect. I mean, seriously, what do you need them for? If it was hunting, I'd understand.
[quote name='Hex']Enjoy your despotism.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Hex']
[/QUOTE]

very nice Hex, very nice indeed.

Its nice to see the return of the firearm thread, and I still want to know who the fuck complained about the first one.

[quote name='naes']IMO, guns should only be used for hunting.[/QUOTE]

99% of the people that discuss guns in this thread go to a firing range. Its a great way to release stress, and just plain have fun. 95% of the people that buy guns the legal way don't intend to use them in a crime. its for collection, and home protection.

[quote name='naes']... I just don't think that people need machine guns, pistols, ect. I mean, seriously, what do you need them for? If it was hunting, I'd understand.[/QUOTE]
They're needed to kill people. It's much more time efficent than beating someone in the head with a mallet.

That I understand, I guess.
[quote name='CitizenB']99% of the people that discuss guns in this thread go to a firing range.[/QUOTE]

22set.jpg
In terms of cheapass shooting, nothing beats a good old .22, and in terms of cheapass cool .22s, I recommend a NAA Mini-Revolver. A hoot to shoot and the MSRP's less than $200 (you can get used ones for about $100 or so).

[quote name='naes']... I just don't think that people need machine guns, pistols, ect. I mean, seriously, what do you need them for? If it was hunting, I'd understand.[/quote]

We need pistols because it's nay impossible to adequately hide a hunting rifle. Besides, what's with everyone's obsession over hunting? I personally hate hunting; I own my firearms for political reasons.

For people looking for a relatively inexpensive AR-15, I recommend Stag Arms. A Kit can be had for about $700. Should take you less than an hour to put together.

pix1208310953.jpg

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']For people looking for a relatively inexpensive AR-15, I recommend Stag Arms. A Kit can be had for about $700. Should take you less than an hour to put together.

http://nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/067629000/67629820/pix1208310953.jpg[/quote]

Stags are good, but the guys at JAx advised me that unless you've dicked around with ARs before, it's not a good idea to go for a scratch build, as opposed to a complete rifle. How would you rate your build?

[quote name='Hex']Stags are good, but the guys at JAx advised me that unless you've dicked around with ARs before, it's not a good idea to go for a scratch build, as opposed to a complete rifle. How would you rate your build?[/QUOTE]

As long as you have the proper roll pin punches and roll pin holders, it's cake. Make sure you have the right tools for the job.

As for me, the upper and lower were a bit too tight for comfort, but that remedied itself with range time.

Check this out: http://www.jpfo.org/SGNbuildAR.pdf info from the Jews for the Preservation of Gun Ownership!

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']As long as you have the proper roll pin punches and roll pin holders, it's cake. Make sure you have the right tools for the job.

As for me, the upper and lower were a bit too tight for comfort, but that remedied itself with range time.

Check this out: http://www.jpfo.org/SGNbuildAR.pdf info from the Jews for the Preservation of Gun Ownership![/quote]

Yeah, good idea. I've found this forum's helpful for AR advice- http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

I've heard people say that, do you just mean you had to smoosh them together a little to get the capture pins to lock in place?

I have that article in one of my Shotgun News magazines.. I'm envious. :cry:

went to the range for the first time and rented a .357 mag and shot .38 special. it was pretty fun i suppose, but expensive to just try... if i became a member and had my own gun it wouldn't be too bad though.

how's a .40 or 9mm like compared to .38? i think i'll go back eventually and try an automatic.

[quote name='tehweezner']went to the range for the first time and rented a .357 mag and shot .38 special. it was pretty fun i suppose, but expensive to just try... if i became a member and had my own gun it wouldn't be too bad though.

how's a .40 or 9mm like compared to .38? i think i'll go back eventually and try an automatic.[/quote]

Yeah, shooting's expensive. My advice for beginners is to stick with .22LR for their first time: It helps you get accustomed to recoil and is dirt cheap compared to .357mag. You wouldn't want to develop a twitch from shooting those high calibres first. ;)

Well, with regard to your question, .38 Special is about a centimerter longer than 9x19 Luger, the more common 9mm. I'll gamble there's a bit more power to the .38, but I'm not too savvy on handguns so take my words with a grain of salt. :lol: Honestly I'd stay away from .40/10mm, especially in Glocks. The 10mm is a high pressure round, and unless you've got an expensive, *very* high quality handgun, there's always the possibility of case failure and a gun that'll explode in your hand. My personal suggestion if you're looking for a handgun is one in .357 SIG. It's not the same thing as .347 mag (a revolver cartridge); it's basically a 9mm bullet inside a necked-down 10mm case, giving it great ballistics in a non-10mm package. :)

[quote name='tehweezner']went to the range for the first time and rented a .357 mag and shot .38 special. it was pretty fun i suppose, but expensive to just try... if i became a member and had my own gun it wouldn't be too bad though.

how's a .40 or 9mm like compared to .38? i think i'll go back eventually and try an automatic.[/QUOTE]

go with a good ol .45

Fairly cheap to shoot, well compared to the .40 and .38 and 9mm

[quote name='Hex']My personal suggestion if you're looking for a handgun is one in .357 SIG. [/quote]

Sig Sauer is the most overrated gun producer in the world. Don't get me wrong, they make a quality handgun. However, the price jump from comparative models of other brands is ridiculous.

Take their .40/9mm models, the P226 & P229. On average, you can expect to pay about $800-$900 for these guns, while their S&W counterpart (MP40 and others) will run you in the $400 range.

Sig's product is nice, maybe a little nicer than a S&W, but the average firearm owner will never notice the difference, except that their checking account is $400 slimmer if they buy the Sig.

I've shot both, and can't tell a difference. Take the time to try both at a gun dealer/shooting range, and see for yourself. I ended up getting a S&W, and have had 0 problems with it.

[quote name='the ender']Sig Sauer is the most overrated gun producer in the world. Don't get me wrong, they make a quality handgun. However, the price jump from comparative models of other brands is ridiculous.

Take their .40/9mm models, the P226 & P229. On average, you can expect to pay about $800-$900 for these guns, while their S&W counterpart (MP40 and others) will run you in the $400 range.

Sig's product is nice, maybe a little nicer than a S&W, but the average firearm owner will never notice the difference, except that their checking account is $400 slimmer if they buy the Sig.

I've shot both, and can't tell a difference. Take the time to try both at a gun dealer/shooting range, and see for yourself. I ended up getting a S&W, and have had 0 problems with it.[/quote]

I agree, but you'll notice I didn't suggest a Sig handgun, but rather any handgun chambered for .357 SIG. ;) If you have the money, a USP Compact in said calibre would be hot fire.

what kind of a gun was that cheapy? i just bought my first handgun this week. its a Hi-Point 40SW. i was looking at other pistols all of which were over three hundred dollars. that aint gonna happen. then i saw this gun for $150 and was sold. fired it wednesday night, 80rounds, and am very happy with it. ive got big hands and my friends compact glock was too small. even the bigger glocks, though they fit my hand, are too expensive to warrant one. my hipoint fires smoothly, hasnt jammed yet, and is relatively inexpensive to shoot even though its a 40cal. this is for the range and home defense but i will be getting a pistol to carry in the near future.
hi_p_40.jpg

[quote name='thechairmanh2k']what kind of a gun was that cheapy? i just bought my first handgun this week. its a Hi-Point 40SW. i was looking at other pistols all of which were over three hundred dollars. that aint gonna happen. then i saw this gun for $150 and was sold. fired it wednesday night, 80rounds, and am very happy with it. ive got big hands and my friends compact glock was too small. even the bigger glocks, though they fit my hand, are too expensive to warrant one. my hipoint fires smoothly, hasnt jammed yet, and is relatively inexpensive to shoot even though its a 40cal. this is for the range and home defense but i will be getting a pistol to carry in the near future.
hi_p_40.jpg
[/quote]

The one he posted was a Beretta 93R done up with movie props for RoboCop. I've heard mixed opinions on HiPoint handguns, and that it's literally a 'get what you pay for' situation with those. Just make sure you take exemplary care of that thing and ensure that it's not going to fire out of battery or anything when you're at the range.

[quote name='Hex']The one he posted was a Beretta 93R done up with movie props for RoboCop. I've heard mixed opinions on HiPoint handguns, and that it's literally a 'get what you pay for' situation with those. Just make sure you take exemplary care of that thing and ensure that it's not going to fire out of battery or anything when you're at the range.[/QUOTE]

I have a HiPoint 45. Plenty of use at the range, no complaints.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']what does that mean?[/quote]

I'm curious as well... Are you waiting for a communist revolution? If so... we need to talk :lol:

Hi-point is for nothing more than a gun for the shooting range. It shoots, but I wouldn't trust it for a self defense gun.

[quote name='mr ryles']Hi-point is for nothing more than a gun for the shooting range. It shoots, but I wouldn't trust it for a self defense gun.[/quote]

What... it only does intense, yet survivable, bodily harm instead of killing someone?

[quote name='PhrostByte']What... it only does intense, yet survivable, bodily harm instead of killing someone?[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying it is a hunk of plastic and I wouldn't trust it to safe my life. I'd rather go with a gun a little more reliable and less likely to have problems in the long run.

[quote name='mr ryles']I'm just saying it is a hunk of plastic and I wouldn't trust it to safe my life. I'd rather go with a gun a little more reliable and less likely to have problems in the long run.[/quote]

Seconded.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I'm curious as well... Are you waiting for a communist revolution? If so... we need to talk :lol:[/quote]

Meaning I like to own weapons that scare the government and would be more beneficial than a non-Mil Spec hunting rifle in whatever situation arises.

Which would an oppressive government be more afraid of, a million bolt-action deer rifles... or a million AR/AKs? :D

The government is not coming to your house to kill you or take you away. If they were, whatever weapons you had would be useless against their tanks, missles, rockets, mounted machine guns, and body armor. You'll have an RPG up your ass before you can switch off the safety. And I ain't talkin' about Final Fantasy. Of course, a sniper could hit you from about a mile away, but where's the pizzazz in that?

[quote name='Hex']No kidding. It was individual soldiers who shot at the students at Kent State, too.[/quote]

a couple of kids died in a time of really intense political and social change.

shit happens.

that's a little different than when millions of people die in real regimes (china, ussr, cambodia etc.)

are you worried about the canadians?

why would the government want to get you? you already buy tons of shit everyday to satisfy the big businesses, so why interefere with your already zombie like consumer citizenship?

[quote name='evanft']The government is not coming to your house to kill you or take you away. If they were, whatever weapons you had would be useless against their tanks, missles, rockets, mounted machine guns, and body armor. You'll have an RPG up your ass before you can switch off the safety. And I ain't talkin' about Final Fantasy. Of course, a sniper could hit you from about a mile away, but where's the pizzazz in that?[/QUOTE]
I don't know... the Iraqi's are showing that with some ingenuity and dedication, there are ways around even the most advanced weapon systems.

[quote name='thechairmanh2k']and from all that ive read hipoints are not "hunks of plastic". last time i checked zinc and steel are still metals.[/QUOTE]
ya just the barrel. Everything else is just molded plastic.

bread's done
Back