Folding@Home on PS3: Team Cheap Ass Created!

fold for great justice!

My PS3's been folding all night while I play God of War 2, man is my room getting hot D:!

[quote name='Zoglog']how long before we have folding grilling parties with all the damn Heat generated from these foldin ps3s?

Here's the stats page

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats&ctype=PS3

Crazy shit

Oh well I'm gonna leave my ps3 on overnight, hopefully it doesn't explode lol......................

I wonder howlong it's safe to leave it on?[/quote]I leave my PS3 on overnight all the time, and I never have any problems. It doesn't make loud noises, or get extremely hot.

which do you guys think eats up more power-- a folding PS3 left on overnight or a laptop sitting idle but on with a black screensaver on overnight?

I usually leave my laptop on, but if I could be folding for the same price, I'd go with that.

I'm in and folding away. Kind of a cool app to run while not playing games.

In the winter people in Japan could all huddle around the PS3 running this instead of the kotatsu.

I've joined. I was with another team and contributed one Work Unit already but I'm with CAG now.

I left it on last night and no problems.
I've left it on while I'm at work today (though I won't do this on a regular basis), it should be fine.

Sometimes I've accidently left it on while away from home anyway.

[quote name='TimPV3']I leave my PS3 on overnight all the time, and I never have any problems. It doesn't make loud noises, or get extremely hot.[/QUOTE]

when it's folding? When mine is folding the fans go nuts, not surprising since it's doing intensive number crunching.

What's even more #!#%! nuts is that 13386 PS3s have more than doubled the TFLOP for the entire project

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats&ctype=PS3

found a problem--

I finished a work unit while my connection was off, so I had to restart the program. Booted it back up, uploaded the unit. It shows under the CAG team that uploaded one, but I didn't get any points for it.

in and folding away... won't be able to contribute too much but every little bit helps.

dallow i saw you jumped ship at AVS :)

[quote name='getmyrunon']in and folding away... won't be able to contribute too much but every little bit helps.

dallow i saw you jumped ship at AVS :)[/quote]

Gotta help my CAGs out! Hehe.

[quote name='dallow']Then this is the PS3 Folding@Home CAG team.
Don't worry, we'll soon be ahead in score.[/QUOTE]

fight! fight! fight!

Hehe, I think it'd take me about 15 give or take, Work Units completed to get his score. (he has 182 completed)

Assuming they follow a similar scoring pattern.

[quote name='Apossum']which do you guys think eats up more power-- a folding PS3 left on overnight or a laptop sitting idle but on with a black screensaver on overnight?

I usually leave my laptop on, but if I could be folding for the same price, I'd go with that.[/QUOTE]

PS3 draws about 380 Watts (according to the 10 seconds I spent with Google, at least.) So if you left your PS3 on and folding for 24 hours, you'd use about 9,120 Watt-hours, or 9.12 KWH. My local utility charges about 8 cents per KWH, so this makes the cost of folding for a day about $0.73.

Our utility rates are maybe a little on the low side (thanks, hydro power!) but figure about $1/day? Could be the cheap-ass cure for cancer =)

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']I put in the number and everything but i dont see my name on the list. Guess ill just wait it out and see if it shows up tommorow[/QUOTE]
I think it takes about half a day or so. I signed up last night and my name just appeared within the last few hours.

Edit: see below

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I think it takes about half a day or so. I signed up last night and my name just appeared within the last few hours.[/quote]

It only appears after you upload a work unit.

bread's done
Back