HDMI to VGA?

no, VGA uses analog (similar to Component)
so unless you buy an expensive converter thingy....

DVI-I can goto VGA on video cards because I has the analog signal as well. However HDMI only goes to DVI-D which is the cable you have shown.

Basically Digital and analog don't mix.

[quote name='Zoglog']no, VGA uses analog (similar to Component)

DVI-I can goto VGA on video cards because I has the analog signal as well. However HDMI only goes to DVI-D which is the cable you have shown.

Basically Digital and analog don't mix.[/QUOTE]

I was afraid of that. So the cheapest solution would be to buy a component/vga adaptor and a PS3 component cable, right?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I was afraid of that. So the cheapest solution would be to buy a component/vga adaptor and a PS3 component cable, right?[/QUOTE]

yup, I believe so. But I've only heard of VGA --> Component but not the other way around though. I'm not too sure of that one.

[quote name='Zoglog']no, VGA uses analog (similar to Component)

Basically Digital and analog don't mix.[/QUOTE]
Evil Avatar recently posted about HDFury - a soon-to-be expensive converter thingy.

As for component -> VGA, I used a VDigi ZD-3 for my Xbox. It only goes up to 720p/1080i though, and it's currently out of stock.

Edit: Wow, the newer X2VGA looks nice. Way better than the first and the ZD-3.

The HDMI to DVI would work great you just have to use optical out for your sound. That is if you have that option...

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Does anyone know if I could connect a PS3 to a VGA monitor with these cables?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...04&p_id=2404&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...03&p_id=2397&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I know PS3s can be connected to DVI monitors with HDMI/DVI cables and I know I can use DVI/VGA adaptors with my PC video card, so can both be used with the PS3?[/QUOTE]

With the number of HDMI issues the PS3 already has, do you really want to add two or possibly three steps of conversion to the mix?

Quite honestly, $70 for the proper transcoder for component to VGA, plus the price of component cable, all to use it on a PC monitor? Unless your monitor is that beautiful, or you really really just want to use the VGA input on your HDTV, it's not worth it. PS3 games also have enough problems with resolution and Blu-Ray hates analog, so your expeirnece will be even worse, not to mention there's a loss of image quality already..

With that in mind? What are your display options? Just your PC monitor? A projector? an LCD/plasma TV witrh not enough inputs?

bread's done
Back