- - - - -

serious DDR skillz!

#31 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

Ray's Arcade was so packed during Dragz I, that shit was hot in there... and their Tekken Tag machine was gay... I'm happy I got to play with Dan for a bit though... lol.

Man, everything at Ray's was crappy. My friend Jon used to complain all the time about how the owner kept talking and staring at him and his friends, and lying about how he ordered the latest DDR and IIDX stuff when he never did. I remember thinking it was cool that they had IIDX 7th, but that screen was impossible to read... I was so mad that I promised that everyone could punch me in the face if I ever went back, and so I never did.

Who's Dan? I think I know 2 Dans... is it that hiDDenRage guy?

I think I first met Orochi at Dragz, who 4-5 years later would get me into Tekken =P

With FS itself I think degrading it to songs which solely encourage breaking it's a mistake, Pump comes to mind here. I think they should keep more stuff that encourages Classical dancing as well such as "Flamenco" and "Sad Salsa" as well as newer stuff. Doing that and seeing people integrating breaking into it well would be a great idea.

As far as DDR (I was never into PIU or anything else), the closeness of the steps and the small stage make it pretty impossible to do anything else besides either hiphop or pop dance. Plus the tournaments are nowhere near as good, so the motivation to do it isn't even there anymore.

Hahah, you want good theatrics? I always liked this routine. Gotta love racial overtones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQndPf6TWN8

#32 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7042 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:07 AM

LOL~!!! I totally forgot about that!! but I wanna see his performance from Dragz.

he was always a real good player unlike me, I guess why we never saw eye to eye since I always like to argue and fuss, but he was also one of the only norcal people I ever spoke to.

Markman I didnt kno judged Dragz!!! I wonder if I kno u but dont kno it yet...

I also found this thread by chance today:
http://www.ddrfreak....ic.php?t=119214

dinkot posting from last summer!!! omg omg omg~!!!

I'm feeling all nostalgic these few days, and I owe it to guyuk's routine

#33 MarkMan   CAG TEKKEN MASTER CAGiversary!   8622 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:39 AM

Who's Dan? I think I know 2 Dans... is it that hiDDenRage guy?

Dan, Tekken Dan..aka The_Chink... not sure if he had a DDR name... :P

I think he was with ChibiSparkle...

- MarkMan

@MarkMan23 twitter / instagram

#34 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

LOL~!!! I totally forgot about that!! but I wanna see his performance from Dragz.

he was always a real good player unlike me, I guess why we never saw eye to eye since I always like to argue and fuss, but he was also one of the only norcal people I ever spoke to.

I don't remember ever being able to find a video of Bran's Enter the Dragon routine. I also remember him doing it again during the AI gathering where Moondabor and Phoenix did Stoic. Hahah, the difference between you and him was that you were a way better dancer but you had no charisma compared to him.

You probably don't know Markman though, I didn't remember him at all, even as I try to fill in the judging blanks from Drags 2... Rurichan, Kidzero, PMG, Chronos maybe, me, Xaintrix, DDRDrags and SickazzSpanky, maybe Swynn? I forget all this. damn.

Markman: I don't think I met Tekken Dan at all, although I did meet Chibisparkle at one point and recall her having a Dan as a boyfriend. She ended up getting married to this guy in the DDR community and they both enlisted in the military. Cool stuff. =P

#35 projecteightysix   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1660 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

projecteightysix

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:09 AM

Why do you like to watch men dance?

#36 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7042 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

men dance??? how's this then:

but the answer is easy, becoz we like to play, becoz we like the game. Becoz we wanna compare our abilities with others.

If you like wrestling, why do u like to watch big-muscled greased-up hairless men in tight clothing touch each other??

same w/ other sports. basketball, why do u like to see men jumping and running around each other? football, why do u like to watch dudes pushing and chasing each other? etc. etc.

anyway here's another GREAT routine, but the sound is horribly out of sync w/ the video. That sux coz a lot of the moves went so perfectly w/ the sounds:

this tied for first place, but the other top-ranked vid hasnt been uploaded, but the guy also performed this magnificent routine which I think is better:

what tournament was that from tho??

#37 sarausagi   Concerto in Cute Major CAGiversary!   1807 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:57 PM

truth

DDR isn't the same anymore, when I started playing it was on imported mixes on a modded PSOne. There was no such thing as American console games or American arcade machines [just one shitty 8 song mix]

I used to play at DanceBeat arcade in Nashville, they had EVERYTHING: para para, dancemaniax, DDR, percussion freaks, guitar freaks..

Spekaing of Guitar Freaks, anyone else into Bemani sincerely -hate- Gutar Hero? I've only owned one PSOne guitar and an import mix, played the hell out of it, and I absolutely can't STAND guitar hero...Guitar Freaks is in a whole other class [and quite honestly the music is so much better]

And today's guys are losers, all a bunch of bar rapists who somehow think ITG is a better game than DDR...same goes for PIU [though PIU is 100000x better than ITG]

Now back in 2001..2002..around there..back then people could dance/play...DDR is dead and it shows.

#38 sarausagi   Concerto in Cute Major CAGiversary!   1807 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

Most of these routines posted are in tournament settings for freestyle... you win the tournament, you usually got at least $300, and the bigger tournaments actually gave out DDR machines which were at least $3000. So yea... they weren't just random kids doing this at the arcade. That would be kinda dumb, or at least... dumber.
DJ 8-ball is such a jerk in real life. I didn't even like his routine because he used edit steps and it wasn't as good as it should've been for an edit. The worst was losing to him. If I lost to someone cool then it'd be alright, but nah. Argh. =P

3DDX? Did you play at CyberZone in K-town in LA? I used to go there after school to play percussion freaks, hahah. And occasionally for my friends from school to laugh at me when I played DDR. As for FS, I think it's pretty much done... it almost always looks awkward, whatever dance game you play. Better to just join a hip hop dance team, I know a few people who crossed over into that, like Lil B =P

I tried watching some of the latest stuff and it doesn't even compare to the stuff in 2000-2002. I can always reminisce about the old days of Bemani in Cali because it was one of the coolest communities I've ever been a part of. I wish I still had my journals recapping the AI tournies and the Dragz tournies, they were some of the craziest experiences I had. I even wrote about the AI tourney in my college application essay -_-;

Dragz... hahah. I remember Lil B collapsed after his routine causing everyone to panic and call the paramedics. I remember the 2nd one too, 'cause I judged it for also =P Chang0 and DJ Trunks playing Butterfly with the crowd chanting the terrible lyrics was crazy. I don't even remember who won.
And man, that does take me back to the days, when AI had TTT! I didn't play it though, but man. That seems so long ago.

Man, I can talk about the golden era of DDR forever. I better stop.

And now that Sarang brought up BoA, man. She was so hot back then, I was so obsessed with her. Now she's not hot at all, hahahah =P

BoA not hot anymore? She keeps getting hotter, in my opinion. BoA has one tight little body..but I can see what you mean..lots of people were pretty worried about her a few months ago

2000-2002, I was never good enough and 10000000 miles from Calirfornia, but I used to watch every single tournament video and what not....I pretty much don't care anymore because it's so different these days....there's more people playing out there but the enthusiasm and performance just isn't there.

#39 Battousai1002   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   630 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Battousai1002

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:56 AM

And today's guys are losers, all a bunch of bar rapists who somehow think ITG is a better game than DDR...same goes for PIU [though PIU is 100000x better than ITG]

Now back in 2001..2002..around there..back then people could dance/play...DDR is dead and it shows.

ITG's just different. If you're into FS and casual/for fun play, DDR is better. If you're into more difficult things and technical skill, ITG is better. Also, the song selections are just different.

Also, about DDR being dead. Konami was releasing DDRs on a pretty regular basis, but stopped after DDR Extreme. The next arcade version to come out was Supernova, which was about four years later.
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=890946"][/URL]

#40 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7042 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

Spekaing of Guitar Freaks, anyone else into Bemani sincerely -hate- Gutar Hero? I've only owned one PSOne guitar and an import mix, played the hell out of it, and I absolutely can't STAND guitar hero...Guitar Freaks is in a whole other class [and quite honestly the music is so much better]

lol, I dont play either but the consensus appears to be guitar hero destroys freaks, even among bemani fans.

I'm surprised u guys had a place in nashville, but w/ a name like dancebeat I wonder if it was open jus for rhythm games, and if it's still open too.

btw what happen to Boa a few months ago?? did something happen???

I jus recently encoded "The Luv Bug" music video to put on my cell phone

#41 sarausagi   Concerto in Cute Major CAGiversary!   1807 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:11 AM

lol, I dont play either but the consensus appears to be guitar hero destroys freaks, even among bemani fans.

I'm surprised u guys had a place in nashville, but w/ a name like dancebeat I wonder if it was open jus for rhythm games, and if it's still open too.

btw what happen to Boa a few months ago?? did something happen???

I jus recently encoded "The Luv Bug" music video to put on my cell phone

Dance Beat was all rhythm games and a few fighting games, two stories, we had Para Para even...I think there was PIU, about 5 DDR mixes, all the instrument games, etc

Boa got terribly skinny a few months ago, near anorexic/bulemic, rumors of eating disorders or what not

#42 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

BoA not hot anymore? She keeps getting hotter, in my opinion. BoA has one tight little body..but I can see what you mean..lots of people were pretty worried about her a few months ago.

she's not even close to what she was. kimochi wa tsutawaru was when she mind blowingly hot. man. i can watch that video forever.

now she dresses all weird, doesn't dance like she used to, doesn't sing like she used to (she sings more ballads which i can't stand, compared to her earlier stuff which seemed more hiphop / r&b-ish), and worst of all:

http://fs1.us.cyworl...90_file.jpg?617

that just about did it for me. she's too old for me now.

Also, about DDR being dead. Konami was releasing DDRs on a pretty regular basis, but stopped after DDR Extreme. The next arcade version to come out was Supernova, which was about four years later.

Supernova is actually an American production, iirc, just like the rest of the American mixes. i think the scene was already dying in between max2 and extreme, because i don't remember a lot of hype for extreme...

where is that original guy that posted about the "legends?" i want to know what the scripted doubles routine was that was supposed to be good.