Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

adamones

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
What the hell. This is the most addicting game ever. I downloaded the demo just to "try it out" and I've played for two straight hours on two separate occasions. This game is absolutely nuts. It's the most addicting game I think I've ever played in my life.

... This is terrible. I skipped two classes today to stay home and play.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm interested in the game, but scared that I won't like it since I don't play puzzle games much.[/QUOTE]
try out the demo first

Where's the demo? I don't see anything on Sony's site.

I guess the DS version would be $24 this week, but obviously I'd rather have the PSP version.

Weird. I was just figuring since the PSP version reviewed better, and all things being equal will look and sound better it would be the one to get.

yeah, the AI is cheap. I'll stay playing the download until the PSP glitches get fixed, or the DS version goes down in price.
I saw both versions at 2 seperate BB's this past week

[quote name='Roufuss']The PSP version is also broken, in that the partner system or whatever it is dosen't work.[/QUOTE]
PSP version also doesnt save your history

Dear God, I just spent three straight hours playing this game. This is easily the most addictive and fun game I've ever played. I'm playing it off the ISO, but I'm going into EBGames to trade in MGS Portable Ops and get the UMD tomorrow... it's THAT good!

There is a PSP, DS, and PC versions of the game. The PC demo is the same as the PSP. The AI is freaking brutal. I don't know what you guys mean by "cheap" but it plays damn good! It never misses an opportunity to f**k you over. I love it, it feels like I'm playing against an intelligent person. I've heard the companion glitch is meaningless, it's not a vital or important part of the game. From what I've seen on videos the DS version looks pretty crappy. Smaller screen, worse graphics, and the stylus is kind of difficult because you can accidently touch the wrong parts of the screen since it's so small.

Either way, no matter what version you buy, you need to have this game. Beats the SHIT out of Lumines.

[quote name='Roufuss']The PSP version is also broken, in that the partner system or whatever it is dosen't work.[/quote]

Not only that but there are multiple reports of a "game breaking" bug when accessing the skill list once you get to a high enough level... possibly associated only with the wizard class, but still... I'm avoiding this game totally unless Sony agrees to fix it.

http://www.infinite-interactive.com/InfiniteForums/viewtopic.php?t=378

Holy shit, so I did find the demo... this is great this game!!

Now I don't know if I want it for the PSP, DS.. or even PC! ...:(

This is a good game. Yeah it sucks some bugs got into it but overall it is nothing fatal. I recommend this game to anyone bugs and all. Everyone complains there are no original games out there, well here is one. Please support it.

How can anyone recommend supporting a game that is known to have bugs, and seems to be crashing under certain circumstances. I played the demo, and got hooked, but I'll be damned if I'm going to purchase a product that is known to have problems. In doing so you are saying it's okay to release such a product as long as the game is good. The people who have unknowingly made the purchase should demand a fix, or get their money back. These companies that drag their feet when a problem arises just boggle my mind, customer satisfaction is paramount. I'll wait and see if they decide to release a bug free PSP version, but until then, I will not support such a product no matter how good the game is. Thanks for letting me vent. I'm just disappointed.

[quote name='hfdpro']How can anyone recommend supporting a game that is known to have bugs, and seems to be crashing under certain circumstances. I played the demo, and got hooked, but I'll be damned if I'm going to purchase a product that is known to have problems. In doing so you are saying it's okay to release such a product as long as the game is good. The people who have unknowingly made the purchase should demand a fix, or get their money back. These companies that drag their feet when a problem arises just boggle my mind, customer satisfaction is paramount. I'll wait and see if they decide to release a bug free PSP version, but until then, I will not support such a product no matter how good the game is. Thanks for letting me vent. I'm just disappointed.[/QUOTE]

I think of the 2, the PSP version is the one with the bugs.

I am most likely gonna get the DS version. Just wished the graphics looked a bit nicer.. :(

[quote name='hfdpro']How can anyone recommend supporting a game that is known to have bugs, and seems to be crashing under certain circumstances. I played the demo, and got hooked, but I'll be damned if I'm going to purchase a product that is known to have problems. In doing so you are saying it's okay to release such a product as long as the game is good. The people who have unknowingly made the purchase should demand a fix, or get their money back. These companies that drag their feet when a problem arises just boggle my mind, customer satisfaction is paramount. I'll wait and see if they decide to release a bug free PSP version, but until then, I will not support such a product no matter how good the game is. Thanks for letting me vent. I'm just disappointed.[/QUOTE]
the bugs more of an inconvenient than crashing the game. Games are released with bugs all the time. They never fix any of the bugs in Age of Empire DS, but it is still worth getting the game. Now if it is like Bubble Bubble DS or Lego Star Wars DS where the game is unplayable there is a problem.

Check out the site in my previous reply. It explains the problems alot of people are having with both versions. Bugs and crashing are known problems.

... I don't think it's a big deal. Yeah it sucks there are bugs and crashes. But this game is so good that I'm willing to overlook them. I don't blame anyone for being upset and refusing to purchase the game because of the glitches. I can totally get that.

[quote name='hfdpro']Check out the site in my previous reply. It explains the problems alot of people are having with both versions. Bugs and crashing are known problems.[/QUOTE]
Again Puzzle Quest isnt the first and wont be the last game to have bugs. Unless it gets to a point where the game is unplayable (like Bubble Bubble DS), just deal with it.

Why should people just "deal with it"? It's that attitude that allows these companies to ignore problems. Some say, "It's just a game", but if I spend $30.00 on a product and it does not perform the way it's supposed to, no matter what it is, it's going back to the store. If consumers raise enough hell instead of just "dealing with it" something might get done about it. I understand it's a great game, and I will be missing out, but I cannot bring myself to purchase this the way it is. I wll be one of the first in line if they decide to fix this. It's just a matter of principal.

If this is Halo 3 or GTA4, maybe. But this is a niche title that is hard enough to find already. Even a game like Oblivion has it share of glitches and bugs but you rarely heard anyone using that as a reason to not buy it. If they decide to offer a fix in the future, great. If not the problems are not at a point where the game is unplayable.

If you don't buy, that's fine. Nobody's crying....

It sucks but in reality there about a 99% chance of them never correcting it.

the game was made for PC and ported to DS and PSP, that's why you should be mad at the glitches but still support. the version made by the first developer is for the PC and should be out soon

I picked up the DS version tonight, and so far.. no glitches/freeze for me. I gotta say, after playing the PC Demo for a while.. going to the DS version is kinda tough. Don't get me wrong, it's still the same great game (which is what matters, right?!)..but the graphics just aren't as nice as they are on the PC! It makes me want to eventually snag the PSP version...(but it would def have to be for real cheap)

But if and when a PC version is released...I may get that. Hopefully the PC version isn't too much..It's a great game, but personally think it should stay soley as a PC game.

[quote name='lilboo']
But if and when a PC version is released...I may get that. Hopefully the PC version isn't too much..It's a great game, but personally think it should stay soley as a PC game.[/QUOTE]

I've heard June / July for the PC version, which is what i'm waiting for.

And yes, apparently some people have reported the PSP version has game crashing bugs, something about looking at your skill list while you are a high level completely locks the game up.

The only bug I have found is the companion bonus doesn't work. This doesnot make the game unplayable. It still is a blast to play. I think to many people who haven't played the game have decided it is too broken to purchase. Well at least try to rent it. I think you will see it is a fresh take on an old genre and well worth the time. Pirates had some bugs that were annoying but overall I would still recommend that game. The good in this game, like Pirates, outweigh the bad and no major game mechanic is affected.

This thread kind of got derailed talking about bugs (although that is certainly an important issue). I agree that we shouldn't just accept it when there are game-stopping bugs, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. This is a freaking amazing game from a small publisher, and some minor bugs shouldn't stop people from playing it. (I haven't seen any bugs yet, but I just started playing.) Looking at the DS screenshots and reading some reviews convinced me that the PSP version was the way to go.

Anyway, this game makes Bejeweled seem idiotic and mindless. You actually need to use some strategy, and you develop a character that you use throughout the game. That's just a great idea. The story itself is pretty generic, though. I'd love to see something like this with a better developed story and characters, but still, I'm loving it so far.

Just bought this game yesterday. It's fucking amazing and addicting. I should not have bought it with a test on Friday and final exam on Monday. :x

[quote name='suko_32']So if I can only get one, should I get the DS or PSP version?[/QUOTE]

wondering same. from what I've heard, each one has different problems that make them even.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']wondering same. from what I've heard, each one has different problems that make them even.[/QUOTE]

I've played the DS version religiously for over a week now. Haven't had any problems yet. Just the invalid move because of the stylus..but you learn that it IS you..NOT the game :)

OMG, I just downloaded the demo and spent the last 4-5 hours playing this. Gonna have to buy it now, but I don't know which version to get...

I was sold on this until I read about the bugs. I understand that they aren't game-breaking or whatever, but they sound like enough of a bad thing to steer me away. I'm particularly bothered by the rumblings of a broken companion system, since it sounded like a pretty neat system. Here's hoping for a revision!

No the game is totally playable. You are missing out on a great experince for a 10% bonus damage on certain enemies. If you play the game right you never ever need that bonus.

Yeah, it's totally not a big deal. It's just a slight bonus again certain enemies, but I frankly would never have noticed it wasn't working if I hadn't read this thread.

It's not that I am deeming the game UNPLAYABLE because the system is broken. I'm on the fence, you know? It's just that one detail that strips a little bit of the game's perceived depth.

Could you guys give me some more input on the RPG aspects of the game? It's heralded as addictive and all that, but I can never find an explanation on how its mechanics work.

Also, I should just download the demo like everyone else!

bread's done
Back