PS3 Game, Software, and Hardware Official Thread Index (Look here before posting!)

A

Apossum

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']This is a great idea, good job.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I can't take credit though-- I stole it from Weedy.

[quote name='imascrub']is there a link for sharing games downloaded by users from the PS store?[/quote]

Nah. "Game Sharing" really is for users to download their content for their own use on other peoples PS3's (if you go visit a friend) and to "recover" your digital downloads incase your PS3's HD messes up for some reason.

[quote name='imascrub']is there a link for sharing games downloaded by users from the PS store?[/QUOTE]

just pm people if you need to do that. seems pretty borderline to me...

Edit: just read you actually have to give someone the password to your account to do this. hell no, I'm not condoning or helping people do that. Sounds like there's a lot of potential for a disaster there.

Thanks! Haven't updated this in a while-- no action in the ps3 forums, eh?

Added your links Nam, as well as one for Calling All Cars.

though I don't think anyone actually checks this thread or uses the official threads in this forum.

hey guys merry xmas,

just got a 40 gig ps3 today, and i am having some problems. At first I attempted to set up the ps3 via hdmi to my tv, with an optical cable going to my sony receiver for surround sound.

it worked on the menus, but once i started a game the tv would flicker on and off, basically i couldnt play any games

when i switched the hdmi to component, and kept my optical cable where it was, the games worked fine

can anyone help me with this? i really want to use hdmi instead of component

thanks

I have the same flickering problem. It's a problem with the HDCP (copy protection protocol the HDMI uses). Basically, it's your TV not communicating with the PS3 fast enough. I find that if I turn off the TV and wait a few seconds (15 or so seconds) then turn it back on it resolves itself.

I have the issue with pretty much everything that uses HDMI, so I know it's my TV and not the PS3. It's a giant pain in the ass, but I have found no official fix for it yet as it is not a PS3 issue, but a TV issue (I have a Aquos 37" LCD, but the problem is extremely common in Westinghouse sets)

thanks a ton, itjust doesnt make sense sincemy 360 elite works fine over hdmi, and my ps3 was working fine over hdmi, but just not with the optical cable

any other help would be appreaciated

doing some more digging and others on the AVS forum have experienced this problem when using the optical out in conjunction with the HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongcoffee
PS3 flickering screen when playing games at 720p
First off, let me provide the details of my setup.

60GB PS3 (latest firmware 1.92)
32" Sharp LC-32D42U Aquos LCD HDTV (supports 480p, 720p, & 1080i)
Onkyo TX-SR505 Digital Receiver

I currently view PS3 video output (games & video) using the HDMI pass-through feature of my receiver--my PS3 is connected to my receiver via HDMI cable while the receiver is connected to the TV through HDMI cable as well. Sound is output via toslink/optical directly to the receiver.

DVDs, Blu-Ray discs, and video files play at 1080i just fine. The problem I'm having deals with playing video games at 720p, which is what most default to because they don't seem to support 1080i. The video display starts to flicker every 1-3 seconds between a black screen and a partial signal of whatever game I'm trying to play at the time. The games that i've tried so far are actual game discs of Virtua Fighter 5 and NBA College Hoops 2K7 as well as game demos of Ninja Gaiden, Gran Turismo, Folklore, Resistance, and Stranglehold. What's interesting is that the game demo of Super Puzzle Fighter HD doesn't provide any problems because it displays at 1080i.

What I did to isolate the problem is by doing a System Restore. This reset video and sound to output solely through HDMI. Playing game discs was just fine through this setting--no flickering screen and what not. Once I set the Sound Settings to optical/toslink, the problem began to re-occur. I tried another set-up with PS3 to TV via HDMI for video and PS3 to receiver via toslink/optical for audio and got the same flickering/digital snow problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue and how it can be resolved? Thanks in advance

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=752327&page=26

If you can run the audio and video through the HDMI to your TV, then run an optical cable from your TV out to your receiver for audio, switch the settings on the PS3 to HDMI audio out, that might work and you'll still get 5.1 sound.

See, though I run audio out from the PS3 through HDMI and mine still flickers. But you can give that a shot and see if it works.

i ended up setting my optical to thechoices that werent dts or dolby 5.1, and it ended up working, im just using pro l ogic 2 on my receiver

its not real dolby but its close enough, oh well, hopefully firmware will fix this

thanks for the help

I have this problem occasionally, I just simply unplug and replug the HDMI from the back of the PS3 and it works fine after that.

i've been having the same promblem with it flickering only on a couple of my games... it usally comes back.. but while i was playing conan it went black, and did not return, infact i waited patiently for hours and nothing showed up, i tried on 3 other t.v's in my house and i get no picture or sound... i can turn the ps3 on and off inject/eject but no picture/sound... i even tried using the a/v cables and still got notin.... someone please help me... i'm going CraZYY!!!!

Hardware- PS3 40gig
HDMI 3foot Monster Cable
37" LG LCD

i recently got a 40" Samsung 720p LCD and im trying to hook up my PS3 through the HDMI port.

when i first plug in the HDMI cable and turn on the ps3 it detects it and asks if i want to go through HDMI. i choose yes, then switch the TV over to the HDMI channel and all it says is "Not Supported Mode"

since that was wasnt working, i tried another way...

when the ps3 was plugged into the tv through component cables i plugged in the HDMI cable and went to the "Display Options" on the ps3 menu and chose HDMI.

the screen went blank and i switched over to the HDMI setting on my Tv and still got "Not Supported Mode"

what the hell am i doing wrong? im HD retarted.

It's been awhile since I looked at the Display options and I'm not in front of my system, but are you disabling the resolutions your TV doesn't support? If you keep the 1080 options checked, but your TV only goes to 720, the system is going to try and display the highest resolution configured.

I had this problem when I hooked mine up via component cables to my Samsung TV. If I remember correctly I had the component cables hooked up first, then did the setup thing where you set resolutions and stuff then you hit right on the D-Pad and it got itself situated. I think this is what I did. It was really early on Christmas morning and took me like a half hour to get it set up. You have to follow the instructions they give to the letter. I hope this helps a little.
-G

Did you hold the power button down so that it beeps? It should be in the manual. That's what I did with the PS3 and the sony 32" HDTV I have. They were both brand new and I never hooked up the composite cable that was included, all I did was use the HDMI cable and held down the power button before doing anything else. Haven't had any HDMI problems. You can always go in later and take off 1080i if you don't want it, I just let the PS3 use what it recommended to start with.

[quote name='c-bonez']i've been having the same promblem with it flickering only on a couple of my games... it usally comes back.. but while i was playing conan it went black, and did not return, infact i waited patiently for hours and nothing showed up, i tried on 3 other t.v's in my house and i get no picture or sound... i can turn the ps3 on and off inject/eject but no picture/sound... i even tried using the a/v cables and still got notin.... someone please help me... i'm going CraZYY!!!!

Hardware- PS3 40gig
HDMI 3foot Monster Cable
37" LG LCD[/QUOTE]

Try starting from scratch and hook up only the HDMI cable to the TV and hold down the power button until it beeps like it says in the manual. This will reset the settings I think. If Conan still doesn't work then try the regular a/v composite cables that came included with the PS3, hold down the power button to reset, and see if the regular cables work. Something is definitely wrong if reseting doesn't help. You may have a setting on or off that's throwing something off in that game, I don't know.

Wow,

Thank God I have not had that problem. I have had a refresh problem or two where I could physically watch it refresh but its not present on anything but the PS3 through HDMI with the Optical/Tos out turned on....

I came in here thinking that was what this was about. I figured its just the games themselves, but may have to look closer now.

Do you think a 1.3 HDMI cable would fix the problem for you guys?

i'm trying to get a ps3 but the problem with the one i want to get is that it only works with hdmi cables. is there any way to fix it?

can I get a list of ps3 games and how much they cost at stores since I have no clue how much what goes for for the ps3 games :)

plz help since I don't want to get rip off :)

So my ps3 decided not to read DVD's( flinstones season 2 disc 2 which plays fine on my dvd player and 360), blue rays( Wall e, monsters inc, and up) or games( Mirros edge which i just got from new egg and Matthazard which i was just playing last week), i tired doing a hard reset( when you hold down the power button till you hear 3 beeps) didn't work. Anyone know if a factory reset work?

bread's done
Back