Can I interview you CheapyD?

thorbahn3

Staff member
Feedback
5 (100%)
Hi CheapyD. I am a writer and would like to interview you. Then I will send the interview to various magazines and see who wants to publish it.
This of course would get your website attention. :wink:

PM me if your interested.

One would think it would be easier for someone to be published if they already had connections with some sort of media outlet, rather than trying to push thier way in with an interview with someone who in some circles would be considered a minor celebrity or person of note.

I figure that you're a young aspiring reporter and your just looking for an in to get your name around, and I can respect that... but I hardly think that the tactic you seek to employ will be all that worthwhile.

Not to mention that, but why would CheapyD want to just grant an interview with someone he doesn't know from Adam? The person that holds the pen can radically twist even the most benign statements into ridiculous claims and statements if they feel the need.

I would think at least an introduction, a resume, or examples of previous work would be key to convincing someone to grant you an interview.

Yeah I guess your right so here are magazine issues my writing has gotten me into. I was in EGM 169, 179, 182, Tips & Tricks 109, GMR 19, 21, XBN 18, Gamepro 174, 190, 193, 194, and Gamenow 19,22,23,24.

Here is a example of my writing.

I asked Jeremy Norm Scott ( Hsu & Chan creator) Why Hsu & Chan lived in central Ohio. He said "At the time of Hsu and Chan's creation, most of the other comics I did took place inside the fictional state of East Virginia, E.V. for mailing abbreviations. I thought it better to put the Tanakas in a real state, since they were going to have a larger audience, so I placed them in Ohio, in the fictional town of Green Hill, which shares a border with E.V. (if you check one of the older Otters' Halloween comics, you'll note that Max's great-uncle is buried in the Green Hill graveyard, prior to Hsu and Chan's existence)."

Hsu.jpg

(left to right) Chan, Hsu, and Gila Mobster discuss why they are in Ohio

I asked if the name Green Hill had anything to do with the Green Hill zone in Sonic the Hedgehog. He said no, and he named it Green Hill because it sounded like a small town name.
I find it kind of funny that 2 Asian game designers live in central, Ohio because there is nobody like that where I live (Central, Ohio).

For more of my writing check out thorbahn3.1up.com

For being a "published" writer, your grammar sure could use some work.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Yeah I guess your right so here are magazine issues my writing has gotten me into. I was in EGM 169, 179, 182, Tips & Tricks 109, GMR 19, 21, XBN 18, Gamepro 174, 190, 193, 194, and Gamenow 19,22,23,24.

I asked Jeremy Norm Scott ( Hsu & Chan creator) Why Hsu & Chan lived in central Ohio. He said "At the time of Hsu and Chan's creation, most of the other comics I did took place inside the fictional state of East Virginia, E.V. for mailing abbreviations. I thought it better to put the Tanakas in a real state, since they were going to have a larger audience, so I placed them in Ohio, in the fictional town of Green Hill, which shares a border with E.V. (if you check one of the older Otters' Halloween comics, you'll note that Max's great-uncle is buried in the Green Hill graveyard, prior to Hsu and Chan's existence)."

Hsu.jpg

I asked if the name Green Hill had anything to do with the Green Hill zone in Sonic the Hedgehog. He said no, and he named it Green Hill because it sounded like a small town name.
I find it kind of funny that 2 Asian game designers live in central, Ohio because there is nobody like that where I live (Central, Ohio).

For more of my writing check out
thorbahn3.1up.com[/quote]

[quote name='thorbahn3']
Gamepro194.jpg
[/quote]

Publication in a letters column does not a writer make.

You have to understand that when you actually interview someone, you hold thier image and credibility in the palm of your hand, and you can either lift that to new heights, crush it unmercifully, or be inept or clumsy (perhaps through no fault of your own) and have it fall from your grasp and smash itself upon cruel reality.

In this situation, the positions of the two involved parties are disparate.
You have nothing to lose, as you only seem to have letters to the editor published, granting you precious little creditiblity as a writer dealing with the realm of videogames. (Have you read a letter column recently? It's ridiculous.) Anyone actually publishing an interview writen by you featuring CheapyD would only raise your station in the eyes of the gaming media.

CheapyD, however, has plenty to lose. Sure around here, he's beloved and all powerful, but step outside of the website and he's just a guy running a site. He depends on a constant flow of ad revenue and requires a base of users that believe in his credibility and are willing to trust the links and ads he provides so that he can earn enough funds to keep his site alive.

[quote name='Graff^']Oh man, I saw that letter in Nintendo Power and cracked up...

Heh, those letters are funny...[/quote]

I've never been in Nintendo Power.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/dearnintendo.htm[/quote]

That letter from Mark is pretty awesome, although the article ripping on him is pretty lame.

[quote name='Scorch']Oh, you wrote to two game magazines. Big deal. I was in PSM but you don't hear me bragging.[/quote] I have been in more than 2. I like I said before I was in EGM 169, 179, 182, Tips & Tricks 109, GMR 19, 21, XBN 18, Gamepro 174, 190, 193, 194, and Gamenow 19,22,23,24. Also a comic in Gamenow and 2 drawings in Tips & Tricks but those do not really count.
Also someone wanted to know.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Yeah I guess your right so here are magazine issues my writing has gotten me into. I was in EGM 169, 179, 182, Tips & Tricks 109, GMR 19, 21, XBN 18, Gamepro 174, 190, 193, 194, and Gamenow 19,22,23,24.

Hsu.jpg

For more of my writing check out thorbahn3.1up.com[/quote]

Hey, Jeremy Scott is my name, and I live in Ohio, NW portion though.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Hi CheapyD. I am a writer and would like to interview you. Then I will send the interview to various magazines and see who wants to publish it.
This of course would get your website attention. :wink:

PM me if your interested.[/quote]

Hey, just try your best and have fun with CheapyD. When the interview is done post it so we all can read it. Enjoy.

I think you're going about it the wrong way.
The website has already appeared in several publications and any mags that are interested will use their own staff writers if they want to do an in-depth piece on Cheapy.
Getting your letters published in the mail bag or editorial section is cool, but it does not make you a writer. Start with goals that are a little more realistic. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are still in school then join the student newspaper or some other media class/activity. There are still alot of things you obviously need to learn about the profession.

And knowing is half the battle. GI Joooooo......
Eh sorry, got caught in the moment!

Dont get discouraged Thor, good luck

Perhaps I am being to harsh, but from what you have posted, and the "Letters to the Editor" that you claim as published works, you seem to be someone full of amibition, yet painfully short on skill or ability.

Your situation seems much akin to the children who want to program videogames, yet can't manage to hack out and compile the proper code for "Hello World", the youngster wishing to open a game store or somesuch business with no grasp of the realities of the the business world, or the young digital artist who can't even skin a decent looking polygon.

I think your idea may be good, but the venue you seek is beyond your grasp. Your interview would probably be great in a school paper, yet it would still likely fall below the (sometimes dreadfully low) standards of the gaming media journalist.

Ambition without skill, talent or direction is often fruitless.

Wow...and people tell me *I* am too blunt. JSweeney, your post took Johnnyoski's message one heinous step further. Exercise some tact, man. You're supposed to mix in some nice things with the awful truth to make it more palatable. Stick AND carrot. AND carrot, man.

Johnnyoski did it right. Consider the guy's age....he might be a fledgling writer in his teens.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Make CheapyD cry. That's the mark of a truly great interview.[/quote]
If people want to see CheapyD cry, they should just have JSweeney interview him :D

the interview should be done here type some questions and when he gets the time he will type back to you. Then we can all see and its convienent for everyone. And then pad the interview with things that will wow readers and bring him money riches and bitches

Wow. What a bunch'a haters in here. Give the guy a little credit for at least trying to make something of himself.

JSweeney - Instead of completely deconstructing the guy, why don't you give him something positive or constructive to feed off of. Suggest some books to read or classes to take. Everyone starts off shitty. Heaven knows you weren't born with a quill in your mouth and shakespear pouring out of your ass. Or should that be the other way around?

Wow. What a bunch'a haters in here. Give the guy a little credit for at least trying to make something of himself.

That's a good point, but one's reach should not exceed thier grasp.
It's great he has such high hopes, but trying to compare yourself to a professional when your obviously not is just setting yourself up for failure.
Dragging someone else into your delusion is just unfair.

JSweeney - Instead of completely deconstructing the guy, why don't you give him something positive or constructive to feed off of.
Suggest some books to read or classes to take.

Keys for Writers.
The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr. http://www.bartleby.com/141/
The Chicago Manual of Style by University of Chicago Press
The MLA Handbook

Everyone starts off shitty.
Yes, but most of them don't suffer the delusion of being on equal footing with a professional.

[quote name='JSweeney']Wow. What a bunch'a haters in here. Give the guy a little credit for at least trying to make something of himself.

It's great he has such high hopes, but trying to compare yourself to a professional when your obviously not is just setting yourself up for failure.

JSweeney - Instead of completely deconstructing the guy, why don't you give him something positive or constructive to feed off of.

Keys for Writers.
The MLA Handbook

Everyone starts off shitty.
Yes, but most of them don't suffer the delusion of being on equal footing with a professional.[/quote]

The Elements Of Grammar by Margaret Shertzer is an invaluable companion to The Elements Of Style.

[quote name='JSweeney']Wow. What a bunch'a haters in here. Give the guy a little credit for at least trying to make something of himself.

Keys for Writers.
The MLA Handbook

[/quote]

Maybe you should read some of those books. That way in the future when you're picking on someone's grammar you won't make an ass of yourself.

Writing is difficult work... it has hard and fast rules, but it also requires artistry. It's a craft where you must constantly prove yourself.. just because you wrote one or two decent articles does not a good writer make.

I could talk all day about the technical matters of how one should write and the sources from which they can learn these rules and techniques, but actually finding a voice, becoming and artist, and writing content that is actually enjoyable to read is not really something that can be taught.
Even if it were, I couldn't tell someone how to because I'm a piss-poor writer at best.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend'][quote name='JSweeney']Wow. What a bunch'a haters in here. Give the guy a little credit for at least trying to make something of himself.

Keys for Writers.
The MLA Handbook

[/quote]

Maybe you should read some of those books. That way in the future when you're picking on someone's grammar you won't make an ass of yourself.[/quote]

Point, but J's not the one asking for an interview and writing an article to shop around...

Every writer has to start somewhere.... But I would recommend you lay off the mailbags. There are enough web sites around begging for writing material... But a word of advice.

Submit query letters to magizines that are specifically requesting article submissions. When I got my first work published, I sent a query lletter followed by five individual article ideas. Each idea was three paragrapohs in length. The editor liked one of my ideas and and I got the assignment.

If you actually want to read what I wrote... buy this... The article is "Antagonists That Matter." Thought I would be neglectful to not mention the Guidance and inpput of Carl Bowen.

Minds Eye Theatre Journal: Issue #8
(Good God I'm expecting a lot of LARP Crap about this...)
1565047842.01._SCTZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Also, make sure you're getting paid. If you have professional aspirations, don't write for nothing. Professionally, there is a big difference between the hundreds of blogs on the web and having people actually willing to pay for what you write.

I know this may be small... err super small... but everyone has to start somewhere. I have a couple more local articles under my belt. Currently working on a book idea.

Anyway, Good Luck!

You also spelled "their" wrong :), but the edit on my last post didn't work. My point is first wait until he does this interview with Cheapy. If he writes up a bad article, then Sweeneyize him. Yes, you can make a case for Sweeneyize not being a real word, and my only response is "yet", that being said GRAMMAR HORSE AWAY!

Wow, so much pressure on this poor guy.
I bet he's wishing he never posted this topic and just PMed me instead.

[quote name='CheapyD']Wow, so much pressure on this poor guy.
I bet he's wishing he never posted this topic and just PMed me instead.[/quote]That would've been the smart thing to do but who likes to take the easy way out? :p

Point, but you don't have to post it twice Banky. :wink:

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='CheapyD']Wow, so much pressure on this poor guy.
I bet he's wishing he never posted this topic and just PMed me instead.[/quote]That would've been the smart thing to do but who likes to take the easy way out? :p

Point, but you don't have to post it twice Banky. :wink:[/quote]

FIX'D THREE MINUTES BEFORE YOU POST'D! :twisted:

[quote name='CheapyD']Wow, so much pressure on this poor guy.
I bet he's wishing he never posted this topic and just PMed me instead.[/quote]

I know, I feel kinda sorry for him.
But he never let off the professional angle.
Had he just said that he would post it on his blog, or write up an article for his school newspaper, I'd have been really happy for him, and even offered to read it over for him.

Perhaps there was never enough time for him to answer back, but the image he was trying to portray just didn't jive well with me.
He called himself a writer, and he mentioned that he'd shop it around to magazines. That's a rather brash statement, and he never backed down off of it. Had he reduced his goal to a more reasonable point, I doubt he'd have gotten as vitriolic a response from myself and others as he did.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='sj41'][quote name='CheapyD']Wow, so much pressure on this poor guy.

Point, but you don't have to post it twice Banky. :wink:[/quote]

FIX'D THREE MINUTES BEFORE YOU POST'D! :twisted:[/quote]DAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I shouldn't have taken a piss, I guess. It made me wrong. :cry:

bread's done
Back