Cadbury Creme Egg Controversy

kevzik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
If anyone watches Conan, they know whats going on here, but if not, read!

Source: wikipedia

"They're Not Getting Smaller, You've Just Grown Up!" Controversy

On the April 5th, 2007 episode of Late Night with Conan O' Brien, guest star B. J. Novak of NBC's The Office fame, was being interviewed. When Conan began to talk about the upcoming Easter holiday, B.J. stated how much of an avid fan he was of the Cadbury Cream Egg. He mentioned that since the cream egg is a seasonal candy, that he stocks up on Cadbury Cream Eggs right after Easter, since they go on sale and they would be scarce soon after. However, he said that when buying a few cream eggs so far this year, he claimed that they seemed to be a bit smaller. B.J. stated that his friend immediately jumped in and said, "They're not getting smaller, you've just grown up!" He told Conan that since he was such a big fan, he should know if something is a miss. B.J. claims to have gone to the official website of the Cadbury Cream Eggs and found the statement of, "They're Not Getting Smaller, You've Just Grown Up!" (Note: This wording can be found at the bottom of the Cadbury Cream Egg Fact Sheet page, http://www.cadburyschweppes.com/EN/Brands/About/Confectionery/factsheet_cremeegg.htm)

His curiosity lead him to search his household for an older version of the cream egg from a previous year. Since he stored them in his freezer and pantry to eat over the year after the Easter season of each passing year, he figured he would have one left over. After stating this ides, B.J. Novak pulled from his pocket the 2007 Cadbury Cream Egg, then right after, brandished a cream egg from two years prior, he claims. Regardless, the 2007 egg was drastically smaller in a size comparison from the previous season's size. He outrightly stated he was not holding the mini-cadbury cream egg version with not even the wrapping having such wording. Conan and Novak seemed to want to get to the bottom of it, that is until Conan's producer stated that they sponsor his show. It will most likely get some response. However, until further notice, Novak has outrightly proven to the nation that Cadbury is creating smaller Cream Eggs this season.

------------------

Think kinda makes me angry. Liars! Now what are they going to do?

On one hand I noticed the same thing yesterday when I was eating two of them, since they felt and looked drastically smaller than they had in the past few years. I just shrugged it off by me being stressed out from work but...well, there you go.

I bet if any statement comes out it won't be anything major, probably something about offering the same exact quality as always but it just ended up being smaller this season for whatever reason. Perhaps so you can fit more in Easter baskets? Maybe to get more health-conscious people to indulge in one since it has a few less calories since there's less of it. Who knows?

[quote name='Kapwanil']

I bet if any statement comes out it won't be anything major, probably something about offering the same exact quality as always but it just ended up being smaller this season for whatever reason. [/QUOTE]

"We at the the Cadbury (aka Hershey chocolate) company. Have had to reduce the size of the egg this year. Due to a lower then normal crop of chocolate which was destroyed be typhoons."

At least thats what I'm guessing. nowadays companies make the product smaller instead of raising prices. You can thank Kellogg's for starting the trend btw.

[quote name='CitizenB']"We at the the Cadbury (aka Hershey chocolate) company. Have had to reduce the size of the egg this year. Due to a lower then normal crop of chocolate which was destroyed be typhoons."

[/QUOTE]

Haha.

damn those thing are awesome. especially those caramel ones. thats one of the few things i miss about not eating sugar aside from receses cups.

[quote name='Snake2715']Everything has gotten smaller to keep the price the same...

Little Debbies, Cereal Boxes, Fast food, etc.[/quote]

Not everything. Pants keep getting bigger.

[quote name='Ebraum']It must be Bush's fault.[/quote]

Give me a few minutes - I was just trying to figure out how to spin this to blame him... ;)

The worst offender is Dubble Bubble (or Bubble Dubble I forget). Them shits are way smaller than what I had as a kid. There's hardly any gum to chew.

I have a solution.

Since my wife hates them, I usually buy one for me and one for her. When I give them to her, she just says "Why did you buy me another? I hate these things. Here, you eat it"

Wam. Double portion.

[quote name='terribledeli']I have a solution.

Since my wife hates them, I usually buy one for me and one for her. When I give them to her, she just says "Why did you buy me another? I hate these things. Here, you eat it"

Wam. Double portion.[/quote]

I like where your head is at, but I fail to see how this helps me...

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I like where your head is at, but I fail to see how this helps me...[/quote]

He wants you to buy candy for his wife?

I bought a ton of half-price eggs today at Jewell Osco. They also had a 12-pack of mini-Creme eggs. Pretty neat, but I bought the original version (even though they are smaller than before).

[quote name='CitizenB']"We at the the Cadbury (aka Hershey chocolate) company. Have had to reduce the size of the egg this year. Due to a lower then normal crop of chocolate which was destroyed be typhoons."

At least thats what I'm guessing. nowadays companies make the product smaller instead of raising prices. You can thank Kellogg's for starting the trend btw.[/quote]

Isn't this what America needs? It shouldn't be a sarcastic thanks, but a REAL thanks.

Since hearing about this, somewhere I read that the official answer is that we are now getting UK-sized eggs, which apparently have always been this smaller size. I have no idea if that is accurate or not, as I do not live in the UK.

As for the eggs themselves, I used to love them, but I noticed that there was always this gross clear liquid in all of them, and after a while, I couldn't eat them anymore.

Oddly, I used to think that there was too much filling. If these smaller ones had a higher chocolate-to-filling ratio, I'd actually like it. Or even if they were smaller in the interest of saving on packaging materials, but had the same amount of stuff in them (since the ones I used to eat had a lot of dead space inside them).

I do think it's shitty that a company would change their stuff after a while. Sweettarts did a similar thing and changed the flavor of the pink/green candies, and now I don't buy them anymore (were my favorite candy). Twinkies taste different now too - like shit, I mean.

Oh well. Caramellos taste nearly identical to Cadbury eggs, so I can always eat one of those.

Thanks for reminding me...gotta see if there are any left at walgreen's

[quote name='Strell']
Oh well. Caramellos taste nearly identical to Cadbury eggs, so I can always eat one of those.[/QUOTE]

Huh? I think youre thinking of the Cadbury Caramel eggs they came out with a few years ago. The creme eggs taste nothing like Caramellos=-|

I think anyone who doesnt like the creme eggs is obviously a commie bastard and more likely then not, a spy. If you know anyone who dislikes creme eggs you should do the right thing and report them to your local authorities. You will be doing us all a favor.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I need to go to target and check for discounted candy. :whistle2:k[/quote]

I went at 7 AM this morning, because I knew all the good stuff would be gone by tonight.:D

[quote name='shieryda']I went at 7 AM this morning, because I knew all the good stuff would be gone by tonight.:D[/QUOTE] Well I didn't get out of bed until after 2. So I'll be going in the next hour. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Well I didn't get out of bed until after 2. So I'll be going in the next hour. :lol:[/quote]

When it comes to discounted candy, you betta recognize that the "early bird gets the Creme Eggs." At least, I believe that's how the old adage goes.

I was at the store I think I figured out the "controversy"

They have mini eggs this year sold in 12 packs, and then they have large eggs sold by themselves for $.50 and they are 1.2 oz. which are the big ones I remember.

[quote name='CitizenB']I was at the store I think I figured out the "controversy"

They have mini eggs this year sold in 12 packs, and then they have large eggs sold by themselves for $.50 and they are 1.2 oz. which are the big ones I remember.[/QUOTE]

the controversy is that the big eggs shrunk.

found 4 packs of mini creme eggs at Walgreens for $1.50 each. I HOARDED THEM CAG. I'M A DIRTY, SCUMMY HOARDER.

Reality's Fringe;2819935]You're not going to beat the fat people and grandmas to the discounted candy. There's no way.[/quote] Indeed. The grandmas have lightning reflexes and drive souped-up Rascal scooters said:
By the way, first post!

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Yeah, the shelves were bare by the time I got there at 4:30 or so. Oh well, I didn't need an candy anyway.[/quote]

But you wanted some. And those old ladies took it from you! :p

bread's done
Back