- - - - -

Nintendo Refuses to do Controversial Interview with EGM

#1 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   66359 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:01 AM

http://www.1up.com/d...cUserId=5379799

Any day now, some of you will start getting the May issue in the mail. In that one, I explain that our interview with Nintendo prez Reggie Fils-Aime got canceled. :( It took me five months of multiple phone calls and emails to land that interview finally, but then Nintendo pulled it from us because they're not happy with our group right now. I can't get into any details about why (because it's sensitive stuff we're working out with Nintendo at the moment), but I just wanted to let you all know that the Reggie interview isn't happening like we promised, not through lack of trying on our part!

They've been doing these same type of interviews for the past two issues with Sony and Microsoft, but apparently Nintendo refused to take their turn because of some beef they have with EGM. The previous idea for these interviews was to have all three being interviewed at once, but Nintendo screwed up those plans, as well. This just seems to be another example of Nintendo being a hassle for the media to work with. I have to wonder what the problem is and why it's keeping this interview from happening.

13th Annual CAG March Madness Tourney Signups Now Live Until 3/16!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Podcasts: Day 0 Update & Let's Weekend | Latest Videos: Personal & SmashPad

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

You read it. You can't unread it.

#2 PawnTakesKing   The Analytical Gamer CAGiversary!   1269 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

PawnTakesKing

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:08 AM

I love Nintendo, but they sure can be pricks sometimes. EGM probably jokingly used the Wii as a phallic reference, and thus...EMBARGO'D!
Posted Image

#3 weevles   No. CAGiversary!   17508 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:11 AM

But do any of these interviews ultimately mean anything? Honestly, sometimes it's like doing the post game interview with an athlete--completely generic and unecessary.

Unless Dan Hsu is just trying to grab quotables a la the Jack Tretton/Sony interview. "Reggie will pay $1200 to anyone who can find a Wii sitting on the shelf for more than 24 hours"...etc etc...

#4 Blitz   Nasty Bastard CAGiversary!   379 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:12 AM

I don't really know why they pulled out but good for them. EGM sucks. The interviews are pointless anyway.

Sony should learn to say no like Nintendo so they don't say stupid shit like they always do.

#5 Scrubking   Feels the Force CAGiversary!   4804 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Scrubking

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:21 AM

Not news. Especially when you consider the massive amount of interviews that pop up every freaking week.

EGM is probably making up all this controversy crap just to get attention, sales, etc.

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#6 drfunk85   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   654 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:24 AM

It seems like they are just out to make Nintendo look bad. If the interview isn't happening, just say it. Don't push all the blame onto Nintendo by saying "I can't tell you what happened but Nintendo is doing it out of spite". Yet he goes on to say it is sensitive and they're working on it with Nintendo. If it's really so sensitive then you shouldn't have put all the blame on them and just not said anything. Or maybe there is probably a reason for them to be pissed at you in the first place.
My FS/FT list

Want to get free gaming stuff like Wii Points and Xbox live points? Just go here. It's a referral link, so if you don't want to give me a referral, just delete the end part. It's not a half bad site though, for a little work you can get some free stuff.

#7 RelentlessRolento   Conversation Comedy CAGiversary!   29351 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

RelentlessRolento

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:26 AM

amen to nintendo, Fuck EGM the press isn't God.

#8 Reality's Fringe   Goes sex for pussy CAGiversary!   7112 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Reality's Fringe

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:28 AM

I think it's because Shane Battenhausen disclosed info on Super Paper Mario after Nintendo repeatedly asked them to wait a little longer. Additionally, there's the issue of this guy named Luke who did 1UP podcasts and accussed Perrin Kaplan of sleeping ith Matt Cass. from IGN.

As for that comment, Hsu really rubs me the wrong way. He either needs to specify, or just not mention it. He did the EXACT same thing with his editorial on how gaming journalism is losing its integrity. I'm wondering if EGM is starting to realize its insignificance in the new "gaming community?" At anyrate, Reggie already did a pretty rough interview with some other website. Ngai? N-something. I'll try to find it.
http://artthoubored.ytmnd.com/

http://snapintotehslimjim.ytmnd.com/

I had one last summer. I was asleep for it so I have no recollection of anything being up my ass.

#9 zewone   Thursday CAGiversary!   43156 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:32 AM

Wack. Reggie isn't kicking ass or taking names. Dude is scared of an interview.

#10 RelentlessRolento   Conversation Comedy CAGiversary!   29351 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

RelentlessRolento

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:35 AM

Wack. Reggie isn't kicking ass or taking names. Dude is scared of an interview.

sounds more like taking control. EGM is their bitch. If nintendo dosn't like something, they'll shut their bitch out. ;)

#11 porieux   Brutal CAGiversary!   2173 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:41 AM

Given the abysmally poor 'journalism' in EGM I wouldn't blame them for not giving an interview. If they want to be taken seriously, they have a lot of work to do.

#12 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19812 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:46 AM

Remember that Wii/PS3 comparison last year where EGM said PS3 was better in head to head? Or even the gamecube/xbox/PS2 compassion? Read the interview with Sony and Nintendo did the right thing to turn it down.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#13 zewone   Thursday CAGiversary!   43156 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:53 AM

Given the abysmally poor 'journalism' in EGM I wouldn't blame them for not giving an interview. If they want to be taken seriously, they have a lot of work to do.

Who do you take seriously in videogame journalism?

#14 weevles   No. CAGiversary!   17508 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:53 AM

I think it's because Shane Battenhausen disclosed info on Super Paper Mario after Nintendo repeatedly asked them to wait a little longer. Additionally, there's the issue of this guy named Luke who did 1UP podcasts and accussed Perrin Kaplan of sleeping ith Matt Cass. from IGN.

As for that comment, Hsu really rubs me the wrong way. He either needs to specify, or just not mention it. He did the EXACT same thing with his editorial on how gaming journalism is losing its integrity. I'm wondering if EGM is starting to realize its insignificance in the new "gaming community?" At anyrate, Reggie already did a pretty rough interview with some other website. Ngai? N-something. I'll try to find it.

N'gai Croal? You mean this one?

http://ncroal.talk.n...asp?item=552102

#15 rodeojones903   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6366 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

rodeojones903

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:57 AM

I think it's because Shane Battenhausen disclosed info on Super Paper Mario after Nintendo repeatedly asked them to wait a little longer.

You mean the same thing that Kotaku did to Sony, but then everyone bashed Sony when they canceled some stuff with Kotaku? But its a good thing for Nintendo to do it? Thats a double standard if I have ever seen one.

I am not a fan of EGM, but these last few interviews EGM did really ask some good questions about the downsides and problems the consoles were having. It really looks like Nintendo didnt want to answer the hard questions that they knew were coming their way.

#16 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5130 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:00 AM

I don't think so, N-Gai didn't go soft on Reggie. EGM didn't follow the rules.

Yep on both accounts. The N-gai interview was great. Could have been longer though.

As for EGM, I enjoyed the previous interviews with Sony and MS and was looking forward to this one. But if they want to play hardball they need to reign in their talent whom all think they are gaming gods all of a sudden from the popularity of their podcasts. Nintendo has an embargo on a review, play by the rules. Claiming a top Nintendo exec is sleeping with the competition? Mudslinging at its best. Shue needs to get a grip on his employees and stop blaming Nintendo for their own employee's idiocy.

Shane is just a fratboy dick totally blinded by Sony bias, almost to the point of making you wonder how big a check Sony sends him weekly for the only positive press they get these days.

Luke started out entertaining but now just says shit just to rile things up, but at least he can still have some good days unlike Shane. John and Garnett are the only level headed people on the show these days.

Take the last podcast where they were ripping on a game they haven't even seen, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics. Not a single shot has been shown, details about which sports are in it, how the Wiimote will work, nada. Yet they rip into it like crazy. It was very forced and sounded ridiculous not to mention unprofessional for a "journalist."

The podcast is still one of my favorites, but it is sinking due to the ginormous egos of the personalities.

#17 Reality's Fringe   Goes sex for pussy CAGiversary!   7112 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Reality's Fringe

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:00 AM

You mean the same thing that Kotaku did to Sony, but then everyone bashed Sony when they canceled some stuff with Kotaku. But its a good thing for Nintendo to do it?

I am not a fan of EGM, but these last few interviews EGM did really did ask some good questions about the downsides and problems the consoles were having. It really looks like Nintendo didnt want to answer the hard questions that they knew were coming their way.

I didn't say I agreed with it, I was making a statement. And those problems are addressed in pretty much every interview given to internet gaming sites. How many times do we have to hear the same responses about Red Rings, the high price of the Ps3, or the future of the Wii 3rd party support before people realize that corporate mouthpieces WON'T give any real insight? Obfuscation is their job.

I had one last summer. I was asleep for it so I have no recollection of anything being up my ass.

#18 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   66359 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:02 AM

Repeatedly? He asked people what they wanted to know about the game in his blog when he thought it was allowable under the NDA. God forbid he wanted to let people know about a game that they might want to play. He removed it as soon as he found out about the problem. How's that enough to pull interviews? As for the Perrin Kaplan thing, they don't like each other as she called him an asshole when he suggested that the Wii could've been done as a peripheral for the GameCube at E3. Luke has nothing to do with EGM, so I doubt that that's the cause for it.

I don't get why explaining to the readers why the feature they were expecting isn't in the issue is a bad thing. If they just wrote "There will be no interview with Reggie." in place of the interview, what are people supposed to think? What does N'Gai Croal's interview with Reggie have to do with Nintendo cancelling this one? Five months spent to get the interview scheduled and it's cancelled for some beef, which they're working to resolve. Why ruin that by spilling the exact reason for Nintendo cancelling on them?

Latest Podcasts: Day 0 Update & Let's Weekend | Latest Videos: Personal & SmashPad

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

#19 rodeojones903   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6366 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

rodeojones903

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:04 AM

I didn't say I agreed with it,

I realize that and I worded my statement wrong a little bit so it seemed like it was towards you. It was referring more toward the other people that are praising Nintendo for doing this in the thread so far.

#20 rabbitt   A Symphony of Horror CAGiversary!   7409 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:05 AM

You mean the same thing that Kotaku did to Sony, but then everyone bashed Sony when they canceled some stuff with Kotaku? But its a good thing for Nintendo to do it? Thats a double standard if I have ever seen one.

I am not a fan of EGM, but these last few interviews EGM did really did ask some good questions about the downsides and problems the consoles were having. It really looks like Nintendo didnt want to answer the hard questions that they knew were coming their way.

I agree with both comments here.

#21 Reality's Fringe   Goes sex for pussy CAGiversary!   7112 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Reality's Fringe

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:07 AM

Repeatedly? He asked people what they wanted to know about the game in his blog when he thought it was allowable under the NDA. God forbid he wanted to let people know about a game that they might want to play. He removed it as soon as he found out about the problem. How's that enough to pull interviews? As for the Perrin Kaplan thing, they don't like each other as she called him an asshole when he suggested that the Wii could've been done as a peripheral for the GameCube at E3. Luke has nothing to do with EGM, so I doubt that that's the cause for it.

I don't get why explaining to the readers why the feature they were expecting isn't in the issue is a bad thing. If they just wrote "There will be no interview with Reggie." in place of the interview, what are people supposed to think? What does N'Gai Croal's interview with Reggie have to do with Nintendo cancelling this one? Five months spent to get the interview scheduled and it's cancelled for some beef, which they're working to resolve. Why ruin that by spilling the exact reason for Nintendo cancelling on them?

It's enough to pull an interview if the company who made the game wants to. Luke has a connection with EGM through 1up as EGM is an extension of 1up(or vice versa). Guilt by association I guess.

The Ngai review isn't related to this specific incident, but it should be known that Dan Hsu isn't the only person on this planet to ask these "hard-hitting questions".

Additionally, if Hsu wasn't ready to spill the reason, he should have just said that Nintendo had to temporarily decline the interview and leave it at that; not put out some nebulous insinuation that it's all because of Nintendo, and there's no fault of EGM. They're both involved in this little high-school dispute.

#22 hiccupleftovers   Worst Poster on CAG CAGiversary!   18071 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

hiccupleftovers

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:11 AM

http://www.1up.com/d...cUserId=5379799

They've been doing these same type of interviews for the past two issues with Sony and Microsoft, but apparently Nintendo refused to take their turn because of some beef they have with EGM. The previous idea for these interviews was to have all three being interviewed at once, but Nintendo screwed up those plans, as well. This just seems to be another example of Nintendo being a hassle for the media to work with. I have to wonder what the problem is and why it's keeping this interview from happening.

Who gives a shit. One less interview to read and EGM has already shown in the past that they're a pain in the ass to deal with. There are plenty of interviews from the gaming community and industry out there and that continue to be published every week, so no loss.

#23 hiccupleftovers   Worst Poster on CAG CAGiversary!   18071 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

hiccupleftovers

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:14 AM

It's enough to pull an interview if the company who made the game wants to. Luke has a connection with EGM through 1up as EGM is an extension of 1up. Guilt by association I guess.

The Ngai review isn't related to this specific incident, but it should be known that Dan Hsu isn't the only person on this planet to ask these "hard-hitting questions".

And if Hsu isn't ready to spill the reason, he should have just said that Nintendo had to temporarily decline the interview and leave it at that. Not put out some nebulous insinuation that it's all because of Nintendo, and no fault of EGM. They're both involved in this little high-school dispute.

Agreed fully. I hope that Nintendo doesn't give any interview to EGM just to spite them.

#24 rodeojones903   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6366 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

rodeojones903

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:17 AM

Agreed fully. I hope that Nintendo doesn't give any interview to EGM just to spite them.

So you agree that Sony was 100% correct in the way they handled the Kotaku fiasco before they "unblackballed" them?

#25 Reality's Fringe   Goes sex for pussy CAGiversary!   7112 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Reality's Fringe

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:21 AM

So you agree that Sony was 100% correct in the way they handled the Kotaku fiasco before they "unblackballed" them?

Sony was well within their right to do whatever, regardless of whether or not it was a dick-maneuver. Nintendo has this same right, regardless of whether we think it's right or wrong.

Personally, it's asinine for the interview to be pulled simply because someone spilled some info on SPM, but without knowing if there's more to it, who knows?
Maybe EGM offended Reggie somehow? All I know is that I get EGM for free, and that's just because it takes me a few minutes to defecate.

#26 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   66359 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:26 AM

It's enough to pull an interview if the company who made the game wants to. Luke has a connection with EGM through 1up as EGM is an extension of 1up. Guilt by association I guess.

And if Hsu isn't ready to spill the reason, he should have just said that Nintendo had to temporarily decline the interview and leave it at that. Not put out some nebulous insinuation that it's all because of Nintendo, and no fault of EGM. They're both involved in this little high-school dispute.

Pulling an interview because of a temporary mistake would be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of if that's somehow true. That would incredibly childish of Nintendo to do that because it's not like Shane refused to pull it when corrected. Which episode of 1up Yours did Luke make the claim that Kaplan slept with the IGN dude because I don't believe that it was a serious claim in any regard.

It just sounds like your point is that Nintendo is incredibly thin-skinned and looks at every single word said about them to find any reason at all to not work with anybody. That's not a good reason.

The N'Gai interview wasn't as "hard-hitting" as you're claiming it to be. He picked out some issues that Nintendo was having and let them respond to it and then moved on without a second thought. It mostly seemed like the interview was rushed compared to his interview with Phil Harrison.

The readers have a right to know why promised features aren't hitting, especially when they've been talking about it for four months now. They did the same thing with the huge world-exclusive Spider-Man 3 cover was supposed to hit last fall, but Sam Raimi didn't want to show off anything about the movie that early and pulled the plug on the cover, so they went to Red Octane and got the GHII cover.

Who gives a shit. One less interview to read and EGM has already shown in the past that they're a pain in the ass to deal with. There are plenty of interviews from the gaming community and industry out there and that continue to be published every week, so no loss.

:lol: "There are other interviews out there. No loss." The point is that people want to hear more than just the company line on what's been happening with Nintendo lately and this cancellation seems like they wussed out while Sony and Microsoft were happy to do these interviews.

#27 ratzombie   aka yunkie CAGiversary!   12862 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

Nintendo has no reason to shy away from "hard hitting questions" from EGM. The interview had to of been pulled for a more sinister reason on EGM/1UP's part.

Or Reggie just doesn't like them...

#28 schuerm26   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4571 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:33 AM

who the hell cares

#29 TimPV3   Butthole CAGiversary!   2608 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:34 AM

No offense to this thread, but who gives a shit? I'm willing to wager 80% of Wii owners have never read an EGM anyway.

#30 Reality's Fringe   Goes sex for pussy CAGiversary!   7112 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Reality's Fringe

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:37 AM

Pulling an interview because of a temporary mistake would be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of if that's somehow true. That would incredibly childish of Nintendo to do that because it's not like Shane refused to pull it when corrected. Which episode of 1up Yours did Luke make the claim that Kaplan slept with the IGN dude because I don't believe that it was a serious claim in any regard.

Yeah, it would be lame. As for the episode, I don't know. It's been a while, and joke or not, he still said it. People take jokes the wrong way all the time.

It just sounds like your point is that Nintendo is incredibly thin-skinned and looks at every single word said about them to find any reason at all to not work with anybody. That's not a good reason.

No, my point is that they're within their rights to pull the interview if they don't like something(and pretty much every comapny is "thin-skinned" in relation to its PR). I never said it was a good reason.

The N'Gai interview wasn't as "hard-hitting" as you're claiming it to be. He picked out some issues that Nintendo was having and let them respond to it and then moved on without a second thought. It mostly seemed like the interview was rushed compared to his interview with Phil Harrison.

Same can be said for all of Dan Hsu's interviews. His interviews always end up with some variation of issues tossed around on message boards which never get any real responses outside of marketing and doublespeak. The Ngai interview asked general questions about the Wii's potential 3rd party issues, which is what I'm assuming Hsu would ask, in addition to something about the power of the hardware to which Reggie would reply that power isn't in their strategy ,, then he'd ask about some people claiming the motion control doesn't work that well to which Reggie would cite user-end problems or dev issues, and so on and so forth until the interview ends, nothing new comes out, and Hsu can pat himself on the back.

The readers have a right to know why promised features aren't hitting, especially when they've been talking about it for four months now. They did the same thing with the huge world-exclusive Spider-Man 3 cover was supposed to hit last fall, but Sam Raimi didn't want to show off anything about the movie that early and pulled the plug on the cover, so they went to Red Octane and got the GHII cover.

Yeah, they should know why they're not hitting, which is why I don't like it when Hsu makes those thinly veiled statements. My original solution was more in line with what he could have said to avoid the appearance of finger-pointing, but if he's going to mention something specific and then quickly dismiss it; what's the fucking point?

If Reggie got all offended about something, he should grab his balls and just get over it, but it's his perogative.