CheapyD on Joystiq and Destructoid Podcasts

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD is down with OPP!
If you are interested in hearing me on Other People's Podcasts, you are in luck! I recently appeared as a guest for the full hour on Joystiq Podcast #4. I also showed up as a guest (along with Jessica Chobot ) on the second half of Destructoid's Podtoid #20, but don't just fast forward, there is a special surprise at the beginning.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Jessica Chobot :drool:[/QUOTE]

I actually had to google this to see who she was, and I'm sorry I did. She looks ok, but she seems to be really lacking in the brains dept, and comes off as an attention whore.

The destructoid podcast was a serious waste of my time. You were great Cheapy but those guys used way too much profanity for my taste. And spending more than half of their time talking about how wasted they got during GDC did not help one bit. I especially hated how that Jessica gal was trying too hard to be one of the guys, cussing and trying to match the drunken escapades of that one annoying dude.

The Joystick podcast on the other hand was excellent.

[quote name='streamjoseph01']The destructoid podcast was a serious waste of my time. You were great Cheapy but those guys used way too much profanity for my taste. And spending more than half of their time talking about how wasted they got during GDC did not help one bit. I especially hated how that Jessica gal was trying too hard to be one of the guys, cussing and trying to match the drunken escapades of that one annoying dude.

The Joystick podcast on the other hand was excellent.[/QUOTE]

Yes the destructoid podcast was a waste of time, still havent listened to the joystiq one, though.......

I usually can't muster the Podtoid for very long as it seems to be bunch of yelling and cursing in my ear for an hour or so.

If I wanted that, I'd just listen to my wife.

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't really enjoy the Destructoid podcast. Cheapy was fine, and the beginning part reeked of awesomeness, but those Destructoid guys are too "college retard" for my taste. I don't mind the expletives so much, but if I wanted to listen to "dude, I was soooo drunk off my ass" and "how I partied at such and such" for 45 minutes straight I would go back to my old fraternity. Did they even talk about games? I just tuned out after a while.

[quote name='Richlough']Cool ! You know I've been waiting for this to surface .[/quote]The Joystiq podcast is actually the second one I've recorded with them. The other one is officially a "lost episode". I think we talked about it at the start of #4.

Joystiq one is not too bad so far, I'm about half way through it. It's a little slow paced and it takes a while for the host to get into a groove. Hit or miss for me. The other host, the one with the accent, couldn't be more annoying. Comes across as a real gaming snob. I think he had a crush on you Cheapy since he kept making fun of everything you said.

[quote name='streamjoseph01'] I especially hated how that Jessica gal was trying too hard to be one of the guys, cussing and trying to match the drunken escapades of that one annoying dude.
[/QUOTE]

This is how she comes across in everything I read about her, and some interviews.

[quote name='yukine']About time! I'm downloading these right away.

Edit: Why was Wombat not invited?[/QUOTE]
Why the fuck do people ask that anytime Cheapy does ANYTHING outside of the CAG realm? They're not attached at the hip.

Heh, on the Chobot:

...a girl is only as hot as the words coming out of her mouth. A hot girl automatically loses points the minute she starts debating whether the Xbox is better than the PS2. Video games are cool, not hot, and talking about them in public makes you a geek. And no one wants to date a geek, because they are annoying, lack social skills and smell funny. See? Jessica isn’t that hot anymore.

http://www.spotanime.com/category/video-games/the-perfect-gamer-girl/

The only thing I know about her is that she loves FFVIII (according to the IGN interview that Google gave me) and she's rather hot:
babe-interview-jessica-horn-20050606083215085.jpg

I haven't listened to the Podcast yet, though, so if she comes off as bad as some of you have said, then I'll probably be in agreement. Til then all I know is she shares a love for my favorite RPG.

[quote name='johnnypark']The only thing I know about her is that she loves FFVIII (according to the IGN interview that Google gave me) and she's rather hot:
babe-interview-jessica-horn-20050606083215085.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Look at the real pictures of her in the IGN interview... I thought at first the picture you linked to was someone different, because that picture is touched up in a big way. She's ok, but I just think it's retarded she's getting on a podcast because she just happens to be a girl who likes video games who is reasonably attractive.

babe-interview-jessica-horn-20050606083650007-000.jpg

Sorry Cheapy, I had to turn the Destructoid podcast off, it was pretty horrible.

Ok what is up with her spray on tan? Half her right arm is a natural color and the top half is tan...

Anyway I havent listened to the podcasts. Its pretty cool that this site has done so well for Cheapy though.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Why the fuck do people ask that anytime Cheapy does ANYTHING outside of the CAG realm? They're not attached at the hip.[/QUOTE]

yes we are I was just napping at the time

[quote name='streamjoseph01']The Joystick podcast on the other hand was excellent.[/quote]
Thanks! I hear the Joystiq podcast is pretty good too. ;)

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Joystiq one is not too bad so far, I'm about half way through it. It's a little slow paced and it takes a while for the host to get into a groove. Hit or miss for me. The other host, the one with the accent, couldn't be more annoying. Comes across as a real gaming snob. I think he had a crush on you Cheapy since he kept making fun of everything you said.[/quote]
(Morris County, NJ FTW!) -- Wait, you're saying I got into a groove?! Before the half-way point? Impossible! And Ludwig is an annoying gaming snob, but he's our annoying gaming snob -- I think he sounds like the mutant hybrid of a gamer and a food critic.

And big ups to Cheapy for making the time ... again! Oh, and Wombat, he only mentioned you once. Just sayin'. :D

[quote name='Wombat']yes we are I was just napping at the time[/quote]

That must be pretty difficult to do... like, it would hurt the skin connecting you too together

My sister wants to go see a craptastic movie, so I'm happy that I will have something to listen to...

It seems like the Joystiq one would be the one to listen to though

yeah the joystiq is better then the dtoid one noofence dtoid cheapy hope u dont get a broken guitar i got one :(

If I can't see The Chobot, I have no need for her.

My dream podcast is one with Cheapy/Wombat and "Lukems", be they guests of one another's, guests of a third party's, or a one-off 'Marvel Team-Up'. I don't know what would happen, but I'm pretty sure it would be some sort of awesome.

I really enjoyed the Joystick one, but the Destructoid One SUCKED!!! It sounds like some 13 year old kids who wanted to be rebels made it.

[quote name='chrisgrant'] Oh, and Wombat, he only mentioned you once. Just sayin'. :D[/quote] I can't believe you really did edit it out....bastard. ;)

what sort of background does a name like Chobot come from? When she first started working for IGN i thought it was a fake name to keep crazy fanboys from finding her and making her lick their psps.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Why the fuck do people ask that anytime Cheapy does ANYTHING outside of the CAG realm? They're not attached at the hip.[/quote]
Perhaps because Wombat is equally as deserving to be a guest on other podcasts maybe?

I guess I didn't comment after listening.

Well the Joystiq Podcast was decent, but I'd only listen to it if Cheapy/Wombat were guest starring.

As far as the Destructoid Podcast... what a terrible, terrible show. The best part was the intro, which to my surprise, had Wombat! I guess I was asking for the 'bat a bit too soon.

[quote name='kaw']These make me appreciate the CAGcast that much more... snoozefests.[/QUOTE]

Right on. I've been around the world of video game podcasts and have finally arrived at two: the CAGcast and the Gamers With Jobs Conference Call. Everything else is *bullshit*. That includes Major Nelson, Joystiq, 1-Up Yours, NPR's Press Start, and all the other professional and amateur podcasts. I finally gave up on GoNintendo's podcast this weekend. It's been useless lately and only gets dumber and dumber as the episodes roll by. There's not much enjoyment in hearing people having trouble reading and then laughing about it.

Anyway, this may or may not be the right place for it, but I think it should be becoming increasingly clear to people that the CAGcast is something truly special. And a huge part of what makes it special is Wombat. That guy is pure *gold*. He's got a great radio sensibility with a spot-on sense of humor and comedic timing, he's passionate about gaming, actually really knows his stuff when he's talking about the business and marketing of gaming, and most importantly, he's down to earth.

It's that unique blend of talent that takes that CAGcast over the top. I guarantee you that if it was just Cheapy and some random guy, the CAGcast would blow just as badly as the other shows. The day Wombat leaves the CAGcast is the day I click "unsubscribe" in iTunes.

The only other podcast I listen to beside the CAGcast is The HotSpot at GameSpot. Everything else I've listened to has been pretty awful.

Good work Cheapy, I enjoyed your bits in these podcasts.

Destuctoid was pretty worthless as others have complained.

I thought the joystiq one was ok overall. It did remind me why I like the CAGcast so much though. First of all, Cheapy and Wombat don't constatntly bring up tired internet cliches like "attack its weak point for massive damage" etc. I also like the fact that you guys look at both positive and negative aspects of news, and not just sounding like the comic book guy saying everything sucks. At several points during the joystiq podcast, Cheapy interjected to provide some reasoned perspective, preventing the whole thing from turning into fanboy ranting.

I guess to sum it all up, the other joystiq guys were good, certainly well-informed, but they seem to take things way too seriously.

BTW, I too, missed the wombat. I would trade all the crab jokes in for a few good wii puns (not the penis kind, the good wombat kind).

I couldn't get through the distructoid podcast. The hosts and the guest ( Chobot) sounded like idiots. Maybe I'm just lashing out on chobot becuase I'm sick of the fact that any girl who is pretty and likes games can get popular easily in the gaming world. Either way, I couldn't take much of podtoid.. Not even Cheapy and Wombat could fix that wreck.

But I don't like many podcasts, though. Like yukine, i only listen to Hotspot and CAGcast.

Maybe I'm just lashing out on chobot becuase I'm sick of the fact that any girl who is pretty and likes games can get popular easily in the gaming world.

In my best Clintonian voice "Ah feeeel your paaainnn." (Actually, Clinton would want to feel anything but your pain here.) However, her mere existence on IGN is a sign that gaming continues to further assimilate itself with The Mainstream (and vice versa). The "Chobots" will, for better and/or worse, only become more commonplace with time. One need look no further than ESPN to see how as 'round-the-clock sports news became more ubiquitous over the last two decades, the girls just kept getting progressively hotter (and arguably less informed), even if their less 'photogenic' predecessors are still 'grandfathered'--err, 'grandmothered'--in. Pathetic, drooling sports junkies and pathetic, drooling gaming junkies...we're all supposed to be suckers for the T&A over substance and integrity.

For what it's worth, I'd say that pertaining to girls in gaming media, we're at the "Suzy Kolber on 'launch window' ESPN2" point. (Remember when she and Keith Olbermann initially did their Sportscenter in biker jackets, anyone?) When Gamespot gets their first 'hottie'*, then you know it'll be right there with other forms of entertainment media.

*--C'mon, you know they'll be the ones who resist the longest and most righteously. And that's admirable if not futile, I guess.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Everytime I listen to this podcast.

I fall asleep.[/QUOTE]

I can't stand most videogame podcasts. The 1up and EGM shows are so juvenile that I can't stand to listen to them. The Retronauts one is decent, though. My favorite videogame podcast is Gamespot. It's fun, professional, organized... IGN and 1up don't come close. Those two make the CAGCast seem like Masterpiece Theater.

The Hotspot is a snoozefest compared to 1up Yours. I agree that IGN's podcasts are a huge waste of time, though. But some of you really need to lighten up a bit, not everything involved with gaming has to be serious business.

[quote name='lspear76']I can't stand most videogame podcasts. The 1up and EGM shows are so juvenile that I can't stand to listen to them. The Retronauts one is decent, though. My favorite videogame podcast is Gamespot. It's fun, professional, organized... IGN and 1up don't come close. Those two make the CAGCast seem like Masterpiece Theater.[/quote]

Retronauts is decent because it is not series, but not juvinile. The guys know what they are talking about and give decent thought to real issues. The show is a real show, with segments like download content reviews (similar to the Cagcast om the DL w/ Shipwreck and Rocksolidaudio...) and also a main topic of discussion about some past video game craze or topic. The best I have heard so far is on video game emulation - they really tackle the subject from all angles. It isn't as entertaining as the CAGcast and the music inbetween skits is a bit too much, but overall I'd give it sa try for some nostalgia.

[quote name='MarvinTacoma']The Hotspot is a snoozefest compared to 1up Yours. I agree that IGN's podcasts are a huge waste of time, though. But some of you really need to lighten up a bit, not everything involved with gaming has to be serious business.[/quote]
It doesn't have to be "serious business" but if I'm going to waste 60 + minutes listening to it. I want at least an intelligent discussion, thought, or opinion presented in my 'cast.

Not all video game podcasts need to be the stereotyped "Dude, like... I totally got wasted that night. And like YEAH it was awesome" that is often portrayed.

[quote name='yukine']It doesn't have to be "serious business" but if I'm going to waste 60 + minutes listening to it. I want at least an intelligent discussion, thought, or opinion presented in my 'cast.

Not all video game podcasts need to be the stereotyped "Dude, like... I totally got wasted that night. And like YEAH it was awesome" that is often portrayed.[/quote]I understand that and I certainly wasn't defending the Destructoid podcast. I actually agree with everyone in this thread, they went a little too much in that direction. But podcasts like 1up Yours and the CAGcast have a nice blend of news and non-news gaming discussion in it, while a podcast like the Hotspot feels too much like it's only a presentation of news. I prefer having a casual feel like the 1up podcasts and the CAGcast, even if there's a little yelling or "bad language" once in a while, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.

[quote name='MarvinTacoma']I understand that and I certainly wasn't defending the Destructoid podcast. I actually agree with everyone in this thread, they went a little too much in that direction. But podcasts like 1up Yours and the CAGcast have a nice blend of news and non-news gaming discussion in it, while a podcast like the Hotspot feels too much like it's only a presentation of news. I prefer having a casual feel like the 1up podcasts and the CAGcast, even if there's a little yelling or "bad language" once in a while, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.[/quote]
From your post I thought you were defending the Destructoid podcast.

And I agree, it's why the CAGcast is so great... it's presented in this casual way, but Wombat and Cheapy bring a lot of insight, and originality to the table as well. I think most of the time they don't even realize it.

I can't say that I've listened to the 1up podcast.

[quote name='MarvinTacoma']I understand that and I certainly wasn't defending the Destructoid podcast. I actually agree with everyone in this thread, they went a little too much in that direction. But podcasts like 1up Yours and the CAGcast have a nice blend of news and non-news gaming discussion in it, while a podcast like the Hotspot feels too much like it's only a presentation of news. I prefer having a casual feel like the 1up podcasts and the CAGcast, even if there's a little yelling or "bad language" once in a while, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with real video game news? The Gamespot people are knowledgeable and fun to listen to at the same time. I love my news straight up, whether it be video game, political, etc.

I never got to listen to the joystiq podcast, but I am a frequenter on destructoid and I can tell you, most of their podtoids aren't as bad as 20 was. the guys at dtoid had just come off of a couple of weeks of problems with the site and even contemplating shutting it down, but then decided to keep it. that was the first podtoid put up in like 4 weeks, and personally, I think they should have waited a little longer to work on it a little more.

But if you just sit and listen to some of their other podtoids, they're not that bad and some are actually pretty funny.

[quote name='lspear76']What's wrong with real video game news? The Gamespot people are knowledgeable and fun to listen to at the same time. I love my news straight up, whether it be video game, political, etc.[/quote]
It's not that news is a bad addition to a podcast, but that's pretty much all the Hotspot has, outside of five minutes of listener questions. They don't even have a "watcha' been playin'?" segment added in, that's the least they could do with a gaming podcast. I'm not saying the Hotspot is a bad podcast, they can be funny at times and I still listen every week, but it just can't compete with the shows that have a little more variety to them.

bread's done
Back