Nintendo replacing Glitched Twilight Princess Discs Free Now

V

Virtua

From kotaku, just trying to spread the word to CAGs who might have experienced it or want a good disc for future play-throughs. Apparently the new disc will fix the problem even with a glitched save, no need to restart the game or anything.

Write a letter explaining how you encountered the issue, along with name, address, and daytime telephone number, and mail it along with just the game disc (no case) to the following address:

NINTENDO OF AMERICA
ATTN: CS ADMIN
4900 150TH AVE NE
REDMOND WA 98052-5171

My opinion: This is a great move, and even better that it fixes saves already glitched. To go back into the US version code and change for future prints is a pretty stand up move. It does come a bit late, and the glitch shouldn't have been there in the first place, but I'm sure we'd all have done a better job checking for bugs anyway, right?

Wait, if we've registered the bloody game, why should we have to send the disc in? If it gets lost in the mail then its lost. But Nintendo has my unique serial on file...shouldn't they send me the disc first and then I send the defective one in? Lame.

You know how many people would just keep/sell the original disc if they sent the fixed one first?

About a million times more than those that would get lost in the mail.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Wait, if we've registered the bloody game, why should we have to send the disc in? If it gets lost in the mail then its lost. But Nintendo has my unique serial on file...shouldn't they send me the disc first and then I send the defective one in? Lame.[/QUOTE]

Just because you registered it doesn't mean you still have the game, just that you had it at one time. Almost every store requires you to return a defective product before getting a new one, why should Nintendo be any different?

What's the glitch? I have the Gamecube disc - how do I know it should be replaced? Is there a version # on the old/new disc?

[quote name='E-Z-B']What's the glitch? I have the Gamecube disc - how do I know it should be replaced? Is there a version # on the old/new disc?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the cube versions were fixed.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Just because you registered it doesn't mean you still have the game, just that you had it at one time. Almost every store requires you to return a defective product before getting a new one, why should Nintendo be any different?[/QUOTE]

yeah, they shouldn't just send out new copies to people, that would be ridiculous...

but since they know we have/had the game, they could have sent out emails or wiimails or something to inform people about this little offer... most product recalls aren't spread only by word-of-mouth

Thanks, OP. Has any CAG sent in their copy for replacement yet? I finished TP 2 months ago, but I'd like to have the fixed disc for an eventual replay.

[quote name='Vegan']I'm counting this as confirmation that the Wii cannot patch games via downloadable fixes.[/QUOTE]
Interesting point. Also, frustrating that Nintendo can't do it.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Interesting. I bought my copy on launch. I haven't played through until the end though. Should I get a new copy?[/quote]
The main glitch comes in the later part of the game. If you accidentally save in a certain room, turn off the system, turn on the system and return to the game, you will be stuck in a room with no way of getting out.

The glitch occurs when you want to transport the damn cannon out of the cave underground in the middle of Kakariko Village. This occurs after the blizzard temple. Just play the game straight through without saving after the blizzard temple and when you put the cannon on Lake Hylia and you should be fine

Thanks for the heads up, i'm no where near that part of the game, but it's REALLY good to know. I can't afford to replay (tons of other games to play and no times) or even wait for a replacement disc (you really taking chances on this one, because 1. lost in mail, 2. lost in process, 3. replacement lost in mail, 4. replacement damaged 5. replacement plays but scratched 6. you gotta wait for replacement, at least two weeks?).

That's why it's easier to fix things via patches! Nintendo messed up on this, really... I'm a gamer on limited playing times (i gotta work and feed the family you know), so almost all the times i save the game after one task is completed, b/c chances are i have to shut off the console soon after that... Alot of times, i can't even finish a task or frustrated finding a save option. That's why i hate games you can't save almost anytimes you want...

[quote name='The Crotch']Of course, going patch-only fucks over people like me who aren't and can't go online with their Wiis. Having the option would be nice for you folks I'm sure, but this is the only way that works for me.[/QUOTE]

Also, this assumes that the Wii allows for some sort of runtime patching. For security reasons it might not even consider unsigned code as executable. Miis and other channels could be data, but dont change and game level executables.

bread's done
Back