CAGcast #71: Young Hero and Steed, Wombat 2000

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD adds another ridiculous toy to his arsenal and both hosts discuss a plethora of gaming and game shopping news, answer your questions from the CAGbag and much more!

Download - 96 minutes, 44MB

Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast71.mp3[/media]

Show Linkage/Notes
(click the button below to expand):

Bonus Videos/Pictures:
krbox.jpg
smallkitt.jpg

Pontiac Phoenix (not ours, but ours was white too)
214521_3_full.jpg

Yes, your parents are very Jewish sounding. "you call this dining?"

The reason the 20gb PS3 is going away is because Sony is dropping it. People want it, but Sony will lose more money.

You know what is good to compare all games with: price. You guys should know this.

[quote name='daphatty']Tagged for later comment. (Why does it always take so long to download these friggen things?!?!?!)[/quote] Because you live in a 3rd world country! I d/l it at around 400 kbps.

Just finished listening guys. Good show, no complaints ;).

Nice to see Wombat is getting some use out of his Wii (finally). All potential or perceived puns intended...

I played through just the first two chapters of Super Paper Mario tonight (1-1 and 1-2). It is very wordy at the beginning and so far very simple but I'm assuming things will open up and get a bit more challenging very soon.

[quote name='zewone']There is a XBLA game release this week: Boom Boom Rocket[/quote]Yeah, it was announced right after we recorded the show...I just tried the demo....not so good.

[quote name='CheapyD']Yeah, it was announced right after we recorded the show...I just tried the demo....not so good.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I just finished the demo too. Pretty weak. I'll save my moneyz for Mortal Kombat 2 for PSN on Thursday.

It was more of a long winded way of asking "why the fuck are you focusing on MTV and EA like the game's now doomed to failure because they're involved?" not "fuck u. Harmonix roxxorz!! Tell me n ur voiceses!!!" like you guys assumed. Just spin this again so you sound like the good, logical guy, Wombat.

PS. The press release does mention the Rock Band peripherals. Here's the whole thing:
CAMBRIDGE, MA - April 2, 2007 - Harmonix, developer of the blockbuster
Guitar Hero(tm) franchise, MTV: Music Television, a division of MTV
Networks, a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), and Electronic Arts
(NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced Rock Band, an all-new platform for music
fans and gamers to interact with music like never before. Rock Band
will allow gamers to perform music from the world's biggest rock artists
with their friends as a virtual band using drum, bass/lead guitar and
microphone peripherals, in addition to offering deep online
connectivity. Built on unprecedented deals with the world's biggest
record labels and music publishers, the music featured in Rock Band will
span all genres of rock and include many of the master recordings from
the biggest songs and artists of all time. Rock Band is slated for
release on PLAYSTATION(r)3 computer entertainment system and Xbox
360(tm) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft(r) in holiday

The leading music publishers - EMI Music Publishing and Warner/Chappell
Music - are allowing unrivaled access to their catalogs of incredible
songs for use in Rock Band. The record labels - EMI Music, Hollywood
Records, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group's Universal
Music Enterprises and Warner Music Group's Rhino Entertainment - have
agreed to supply master recordings by their artists for use in the game.

"Harmonix was founded to create new ways for everyone to experience the
pleasure and satisfaction that comes from playing music. Our work on
Guitar Hero was an instrumental step toward that goal," stated Alex
Rigopulos, co-founder and CEO of Harmonix. "But Rock Band is Harmonix's
most ambitious project to date, and it will take music gameplay to an
entirely new level. MTV has given us the freedom and the resources to
really swing for the fences and make the game we've always wanted to
make."

"Our vision for Rock Band is to completely change the way people
interact with and enjoy the music they love," said Jeff Yapp, EVP, MTV
Program Enterprises. "By joining forces with EA and the music
industry's largest record labels and publishers, we are striving to
create a groundbreaking new platform that allows people to connect with
their favorite music and artists in ways they never have before."

"Rock Band is a revolutionary new way for gamers and music fans to
experience music," said David DeMartini, vice president and general
manager of EA Partners. "The team at EA Partners is thrilled to help
MTV and Harmonix launch this incredible game on the global stage and get
it into the hands of gamers worldwide."

As previously announced, Electronic Arts will serve as the exclusive
distribution and marketing partner for Rock Band, managing distribution
for the game in US, Europe and Australia.

For more information on Rock Band and Harmonix Music Systems please
visit www.rockbandgame.com and
www.harmonixmusic.com .

Nice choice by the misses for picking Super Mario Bros, Wombat. I never owned an NES and mostly only played it with emulators, so it was nice to be able to own it legally now and it's a lot of fun. It's probably the only other VC game besides Kirby's Adventure for me that still plays well to this day.

Another good CAGCast... Cheapy/Wombat, got one comment and one discussion point for you:

Cheapy, thanks for recommending Saint's Row so highly... I bought it, my wife is now hooked (she mainly played GTA: San Andreas for the past few years), mostly on the online mode. I now can't touch my 360 and had to get her a separate LIVE account. Thanks a lot : ) I've barely gotten a chance to play it at all.

Discussion point: Shipwreck's comment about Galaga on virtual console, related to the easy and cheaper availability on Gamecube/PS2/Xbox compilations, brought up one of my pet peeves with backward compatibility.

I bought just about every old school game compilation there was for the Xbox, and find the fact that they aren't on the backward compat. list for the 360 suspicious. Obviously MS makes more money selling each of these on XBLA for cash, individually. Obviously, also, there is no way they'll release everything that way, so we're left out in the cold on some of our favorites, like Elevator Action, Sinistar, etc. Any way you could use some of your connections in the industry to try to pry an honest answer out of MS regarding this?

All this Guitar Hero II talk reminded me about "Frets On Fire" a PC open source Guitar Hero Remake. The advantage this game has is threefold. First off its a free download. Second you can use your Xbox360 Guitar with it since Windows works with Microsoft controllers.Third is that there are tons of free downloadable songs online. Check it out.

PS More features
  • Includes a song editor for making your own tunes
  • Submit your scores to the World Charts
  • Hundreds of songs composed by the community
  • Supports importing Guitar Hero™ I and Guitar Hero™ II songs
  • Multiplatform; runs on Windows™, Linux®, Mac OS X™ and FreeBSD®

This episode wasn't very enjoyable for me...No memorable parts and it just felt like nothing was really talked about other than Wombat's short lived poke at "journalists"

On the ESRB Issue discussed in the CAGCast:

"How does the rating process work?

Prior to a game being released to the public, game publishers submit responses to a detailed, written questionnaire (often supplementing responses with lyric sheets, scripts, etc.) specifying exactly what pertinent content will be in their game. Along with the written submission materials, publishers must provide a videotape or DVD which captures all pertinent content (as defined by ESRB), including the most extreme instances, across all relevant categories, including but not limited to violence, language, sex, controlled substances and gambling. Pertinent content that is not playable but will exist in the code on the final game disc must also be disclosed. Once the submission is checked by ESRB for completeness, which may also involve ESRB staff members playing a beta or alpha version of the game, the video footage is reviewed by at least three (and oftentimes more) specially trained game raters."

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/faq.jsp#14

In Rockstar's case, they would have been guilty under the new law because the content was on the shipping disc, but (obviously) not included in the submitted video to the ESRB.

This would really just place the onus on the publisher to submit an accurate video to the ESRB, and omitted language from the middle of the game would only be important for games that would otherwise receive an E rating.

Yeah cutscenes are way over-rated. Can't stand 'em personally.

Not sure about the comparison question. If you're comparing vastly different games well you're probably just doing it to start an argument. You see how well the 360 vs pS3 vs Wii arguments go. .... and so comparing flagship games across each system won't end up any better.

I'm surprised you guys with d/l problems just don't listen to the cast through the site. I mean, it's right there!

Cutscenes are overrated, but still not as much as voice acting, because the majority of the time the acting sucks. Voice acting will only be surpassed by cutscenes in this department when the majority of voice acting in games is good.

I give this episode a 9.5/10

Hmm, Is it wierd that I don't have an ipod (i prefer the Creative Zen Vision:M) and I still listen to podcasts? Oh well, nice, I will listen to this one while playing some Warcraft 3. I have became a huge fan of the CAGCast ever since I started listening at episode 65.

When CheapyD and Wombat are discussing the Xbox 360 keypad, CheapyD says something that doesn't make sense. Before his opinion is drown out by Wombat's disruptiveness, CheapyD says, "sometimes you don't want to take the time to talk to somebody..." It's quicker to type out each word of a conversation to someone that speak it? Really? Because I'm pretty sure I could have said all that I just said in 30 seconds, while it took a couple minutes to type.

Of course, if CheapyD had typed that out, he would have had time to think about what he was saying before he said it.

Also, on the subject of comparisons, I don't think you can. Sure, the Xbox 360 or PS3 and Wii are both game consoles, but that's really all they have in common. That would be like comparing a Hummer to a Civic. Sure, you can compare the specs, but they each have their own distinct uses that are entirely different. It's the difference in the utilization of these consoles that voids all comparison, because the Wii and the other guys offer experiences so unique from eachother that they are virtually incomparable.

cheapy lol at ur dad and burger king i thought that was funny more than embarassing and great show btw ppl stop bitching at wombat u dont have to like whatever comes out of his mouth o and LOL at ur story with ur phoenix and the mercedes thing

Of course it's fair to compare consoles. Right now, in the Spring of 2007, Nintendo offers the Wii, Microsoft offers the Xbox 360 and Sony offers the PS3, all vying for your hard earned dollars.
The Wii has poor graphics for no other reason than Nintendo chose to make it that way and frankly it's a strike against it. It does however offer a unique control scheme. The Miis are also a big plus.
Microsoft has a large library of games and the best online component by far. The achievement system is addictive and a lot of fun.
Sony has...well not much of anything yet but does show a lot of potential. They obviously agree about Miis and achievements since they're incorporating them into Home.
These are your choices right now. If your shopping for a console, the first thing you should do is compare the systems and make the purchase based on the features that are important to you.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm surprised you guys with d/l problems just don't listen to the cast through the site. I mean, it's right there!

[/quote]

Sometimes I have no problems, and sometimes it just won't make any download progress (via iTunes).

My drive into work is 1.5 hours, so instead of listening to it at a computer, I listen to it on the way in - that's why I won't hear it until tomorrow morning.

Great show as always guys -
Wombat - I have also seen the HBO short series and thought that the Pick of Destiny was fucking hilarious! I don't understand how you could not like it - literally everone who I know who has seen it thought it was great...

Cheapy, if your TV can display 720p when playing using other inputs, then its resolution has to be high enough to support it. If you get 720p over componet, then you can get it over VGA, and that means you can upscale DVDs. Don't believe me? Ask the folks over at AVS forum.

Oh, and speaking of matching birth dates, Cheapy and I have the same birthdays! Hurray for me.

I don't know if this was ever bought up before, but you guys really need a 3rd host on the show.
I don't mean someone who is going to kiss Cheapy D. or Wombats ass, but someone who has his own opinions, gaming experience and personality.
Sometimes I listen to the pod cast and the both of you are bickering with each other and there is no one to jump in the middle of it.
Maybe CAG should hold some kind of auditions for a 3rd co-host.

hey cheapy i thought i'd drop a little hdtv info on ya

until very recently any plasma based hdtv under 50 inches has been 1024x728 (there are a couple 1024x1024 sets as well). they handle the aspect ratio by making those pixels rectangular instead of square like on other tvs and then the internal scaler handles the conversion so it looks right on your tv. We have similar tvs and on our panny plasmas when using the vga port its hard to get a full screen image without distortion because that input was designed for use with a pc. the 360 has an option for wide 1024x728 mode which will look perfectly fine on your screen.

they get away with calling this HD because technically, they have at least 720 vertical lines of resolution. plasmas still look great though so you should grab a cheap third party vga cable from play-asia and give it a shot.

[quote name='Milkyman']hey cheapy i thought i'd drop a little hdtv info on ya

until very recently any plasma based hdtv under 50 inches has been 1024x728 (there are a couple 1024x1024 sets as well). they handle the aspect ratio by making those pixels rectangular instead of square like on other tvs and then the internal scaler handles the conversion so it looks right on your tv. We have similar tvs and on our panny plasmas when using the vga port its hard to get a full screen image without distortion because that input was designed for use with a pc. the 360 has an option for wide 1024x728 mode which will look perfectly fine on your screen.

they get away with calling this HD because technically, they have at least 720 vertical lines of resolution. plasmas still look great though so you should grab a cheap third party vga cable from play-asia and give it a shot.[/quote]

Yeah...like I said...only more specific. :p

Anyway Cheapy, check this one out: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-de-49-en-70-178e.html

I have that, and it rocks. Though, for the record, I used to have an even cheaper one off ebay, and it works just as well. I bought this one just to see if there was a difference, and there wasn't. If you do get it, i'd like to hear your opinion in a video review or on the cagcast.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Yeah...like I said...only more specific. :p

Anyway Cheapy, check this one out: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-de-49-en-70-178e.html

I have that, and it rocks. Though, for the record, I used to have an even cheaper one off ebay, and it works just as well. I bought this one just to see if there was a difference, and there wasn't. If you do get it, i'd like to hear your opinion in a video review or on the cagcast.[/QUOTE]

heh, thats the price i paid for doing research before i bought a tv, i can't get this avsforum talk out of my head!

The point is kind of moot as my 360 is a USA model and the DVDs I rent won't play on it because of region coding.

Thanks for explaining it to me, though!

CheapyD, you were quite prophetic in hoping that we wouldn't get "hosed*" on the Guitar Hero II downloadable content. We have in our midsts a modern day, videogaming equivalent to Nostradamus--without the hair.

*"Hosed" wasn't the word you used and I'm just hoping CAGs wouldn't use that word in such a petty scenario as this one. It really bothers me that it's being thrown around in the other thread.

BTW, have you seen the new "Robocop" suit developed by the same guy who made the Mark VI Grizzly Bear suit?

The Trojan Suit

Edit: Well, that whole post was made prior to hearing Wombat call you Nostradamus as well. Perhaps there's something to this madness.

What's interesting, Cheapy, is that editorial you wrote in 2005 is the first thing I saw when I discovered CAG.

One day I was looking for deals on video games, and stumbled upon FatWallet and it linked to this site. Thankfully I didn't register for their website, and instead did so here.

Good episode guys...I really enjoy listening to you guys every week...I like the video game talk but I also like the BS, your both very entertaining

Speaking of the "s-bomb" Wombat's example (around 1:15:00 into the show) of a game waiting until halfway to out of nowhere drop an "s-bomb" got my brain tingling.

Wombat, did you by chance play "Vandal Hearts" for the PS1? I only ask because that game happens to do exactly that. Heck I can even name the character: Diego. And in all fairness his reason for the expletive was valid.

BTW, finally decided to join the party and I've yet to not enjoy a show. You can thank some of the posters over at ocremix.org for clueing me in as to you guys. Keep up the great work!

I find it kinda interesting the similarities Cheapy and I share (it must be the time period we are from, you know Sept 7 to 9, 1973). Not only did we have all the same systems growing up (I still have my telestar and TI99/4a in my basement), but my first car was a root beer colored '82 Pontiac Phoenix. (In addition to that, my mom actually owned a Pinto for some time.) Personally, I loved my Phoenix, even though it was a POS...but looking back, I was probably blinded the freedom it represented.

Oh yeah, and my best friend growing up - his birthday was May 2nd, as was a dominatrix I used to be close to. (I once read a story that the chances are really good that if you take a group of 15 or so people, two of them will have the same birthday.)

Anyway, I started listening on the way into work (I listened to the Joystiq one first) and will probably finish listening to the latest CAGcast on the way home.

Cheapy, you take your DS into the bathroom with you?... SICK!!

One time I caught my wife with my GBA in the bathroom and I went ballistic. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a germ-phobe or anything but things you touch on a continuing basis (that don't get washed or cleaned) shouldn't be in close proximity to poo. Magazines, OK.... handhelds, no way!

Hey Guys. Good job with the last podcast.

I would like to comment on the Guitar Hero II discussion you guys were having. You both seem convinced that just because the guitar has a microphone jack that there will be an online patch released later. While this could be true, and that would be cool, I really don't think this will happen. I think that the jack is only there to support Guitar Hero III which will most definately offer online play. I'm guessing that Red Octane just had the foresight to include the connections needed for future Guitar Hero games, into the controller. This could also explain the instructions that mention foot pedals. Again, I'm going to say that the 3rd version of the game may have another accessory like a foot pedal and will start to implement that tool into the gameplay at that time.

Here's hoping that I'm wrong, but my feeling is that adding either of those two rumored items as dl content for GHII is just not possible. Besides, they have new developer's trying to learn and tweak the code for GHIII, and they probably don't have the time to make major changes like that.

Keep up the good work.

sca·tol·o·gy
Pronunciation: ska-'tä-l&-jE, sk&-
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek skat-, skOr excrement; akin to Old English scearn dung, Latin muscerdae mouse droppings
1 : interest in or treatment of obscene matters especially in literature
2 : the biologically oriented study of excrement (as for taxonomic purposes or for the determination of diet)
- scat·o·log·i·cal /"ska-t&l-'ä-ji-k&l/ adjective

Kind of a low-key show, but a good one.

You can, of course, compare any two (or more) games you want. The crux of the argument is the particular aspect of the games that you're comparing. Obviously, comparing the graphics of a Wii game to those of a PS3 game is a waste of time. But comparing games on those same systems in terms of their art design may not be. And you can compare the overall experience of playing a game on any system you like. To cite a common comparison, I enjoyed Link’s Awakening on the original Game Boy more than I did Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64. They’re both Zelda games (and people often ask "What is your favorite Zelda game?" disregarding the system), but obviously they’re very different in most other respects. You were asking if it’s fair to compare Mario Galaxy to Halo 3. I think it is, if you’re comparing them in terms of what they represent to their respective companies financially and philisophically. But trying to compare pure gameplay, or graphics, or specifics like this is silly and pointless. The very act of comparing games is a purely subjective exercise anyway, so who’s to say what’s fair and what isn’t?

I think Cheapy and Wombat both make good points when it comes to the term “game journalism.” In a lot of ways, as Cheapy said, it comes down to semantics. Whether you use the term “criticism,” “journalism,” “press,” or “media,” it’s all fundamentally the same thing. I don’t think most video game “journalists” take themselves any more or less seriously than film, tv, or book critics. That said, I think Wombat has a point in that game journalists are often a little too cozy with and beholden to the industry they cover. Unfortunately, that’s the way the industry seems to work at this point, and I don’t see any strong impetus for it to change any time soon.

I was enjoying the show until I got to Wombat's ludicrous remarks about video game journalism. I strongly disagree with him and think he's being incredibly short sighted. While mags and websites do get some of their information from press releases and have to sign NDA's, don't blame the industry as a whole for a couple of lazy publications. It's up to the journlists themselves to give their views of what they saw and how it could effect the reader.

What about mags like Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly? When they go to a movie set and talk with the actors, are they not covering the progress of a work of entertainment to an audience that is willing to hear about it? It's the same as EGM going to Silicon Knights and talking to David Dydack (however you spell that) about the progess of Too Human. They ask the questions that their readers want to know and it's up to them to get interesting and informative information to print.

I was going to let it slide, but I just can't stand it!

Yes, Wombat, the HBO series was very good, but the movie is just as good! Come on! Which part didn't you like exactly? The awesome beginning with Meatloaf and Dio. fuckING DIO! It was awesome. I find it hard to believe that you liked the HBO series and then didn't like the movie. How long has it been since you've seen the show? Perhaps your tastes in comdey have changed (read: gotten stale) in the time between the show and the movie.

Cheapy, don't listen to him. See the movie. In fact, i'll send you the money via paypal to use to rent the movie. I have that much faith that you'll find it funny.

Wombat Liberation Army? More like Wombat LAMEberation Army!

bread's done
Back