Are these GBA games I bought pirated? (Dialup beware)

Wet Ninja

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I made my first flea market score this weekend: Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance all new/sealed for $55 total. I also bought a used copy of Tactics Ogre (I bought the used copy first, then after I checked out, I saw the new copy, so I went back and got it too). I noticed tonight that the used copy of Tactics Ogre is a bootleg (it says Nintondo on the back). Now, I believe that the flea market store is fairly reliable; I don't think they realized that the used copy of Tactics Ogre was a bootleg. I'd imagine that this flea market store doesn't have a high turnover, so I think it might be possible that they could have had sealed copies of Tactics Ogre and Castlevania: HoD sitting around since back when they were in print. Is that the more likely scenario, or is it more likely that the three sealed games are bootlegs too? I can look at the carts to tell if they're bootlegs or not, but they're sealed and I'd like to return them if they are bootlegs, so I don't want to open them. Can anyone here tell by the pictures of the boxes below whether or not they're bootlegs? Thanks in advance for your help.

ffta_front.JPG

ffta_back.JPG

c-hod_front.JPG

c-hod_back.JPG

to_front.JPG

to_back.JPG

The best way to tell..

look inside the cartridge where the pin connectors are..

do you see the word NINTENDO on the board? if not they are bootleg..

look at all your carts...

I noticed just now that on the shrinkwrap on those games...

NOT FACTORY SEALED

factory seals products a "seal" thats on the back smack in the middle...these do not appear to have that which means they werent sealed by nintendo

Assume they are bootlegs. Open it and if it is...return for refund or tell him you are calling the cops. You have 3 games...1 is bootleg...if you open 1 new and its bootleg..then do not open the 3rd game..keep it as proof that you didnt open it and he is selling you boots

The game could have been used and that would explain the non-factory seal. The person could have done that so they could cheat people out of money by making them think they are new.

The boxes are Infact fakes. (note I am basing this off of the FFT box because I have the box right in front of me.)

1. The ESRB rating is totally wrong.
2. The Copyright in inacurate and doesn't even mention the publisher on it.
3. The graphic on the front is bigger and fills more of the box.
4. The text about the game is wrong.
5. There is no caption under the pictures on the back of the box.
6. The layout of the back of the box is wrong.
7. No mention about Multiplayer mode needing one game pak per player.
8. The logo on the back of the box should not have the graphic behind it
9. wrong background art on the back of the package, it should be a Judge.
10. Nintendo Seal of Quality is not aligned with the other logos on the front of the box. The logo should be up higher.

Pirated copies usually have different covers from the official copies. I don't know why piraters don't just scan in the box art, but they usually don't.

The only game you bought that I like is Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, you can probably find other covers on the internet. When I checked C:HoD out, I found that the box art is an exact 100% match. This means you either got a rare copy of C:HoD (congratulations!), or you got a bootleg that used a scan of the original box (which is probably even rarer, though not worth much).

The big giveaway that the FFTA is a fake in the ESRB logo

esrbratingdef2.gif

The one on the back should look just like the one illustrated on this picture.

[quote name='digioverload']Pirated copies usually have different covers from the official copies. I don't know why piraters don't just scan in the box art, but they usually don't.

The only game you bought that I like is Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, you can probably find other covers on the internet. When I checked C:HoD out, I found that the box art is an exact 100% match. This means you either got a rare copy of C:HoD (congratulations!), or you got a bootleg that used a scan of the original box (which is probably even rarer, though not worth much).[/quote]

My box has a quote on the cover, but other than that matches exactly.

Yea, if you open the box, check the cartridge.

I ordered a copy of Harvest Moon: Friends of the Mineral Town for GBA off of ebay and well, the box looked funny for one- the instruction booklet was two pages, and the cart said "NINTONDO"

Hahaha, plus it didn't fit my GBA right anyway.

I was going to return it, but it was too much of a hassle.

some dont look like that picture of the esrb ratings.. i just checked my copy of mgs2 i bought from CC and it looks like the FFTA cover

Oh I would like to say that it is posable that only FFTA is fake, The ESRB rating can look like that, So Tactics Ogre and Castlevania could be the real deal. Infact I would say that Castlevania is real. but since I don't have a copy to compair I can't say that for sure.

All I can say is that the FFTA is totaly not like mine and unless Square re-did the packaging after launch it is most likely a fake.

[quote name='deathcabforcutie']some dont look like that picture of the esrb ratings.. i just checked my copy of mgs2 i bought from CC and it looks like the FFTA cover[/quote]

hehe, I was just typeing that =P

okay I took the best pic I could with my crappy web cam, this is how the box for FFTA should look.

FFTA_box.jpg

please note people I am just refering to the FFTA game, not the other two.

Just pulled out my copy of Tactics Ogre and the boxes are identical, so i doubt Tactics Ogre is a bootleg unless they did a really good job on it.

On the back of the OP's FFTA box, look in the upper right corner. There is an odd space in the middle of the word "compatible." Strange.

Nice haul, but probably bootlegs :( (at least FFTA seems like it)

Wait, I just noticed on the front of your Tactics Ogre box there is no Registered symbol after the Game Boy logo, mine has that as do all games.

1. the FFTA is definatly not factory sealed. GBA games shrink wrap has it's seams on the SIDES of the box not the bottom.( I keep my boxes and I have a tendancy to keep what I can of the wrap on the box.)

2. It's not the regular box, thats for certain. It's not the same as the back of my box and the UPC code is completly different, check to see if there's any misspellings on the text.(although to think about it tey might also be boxes used for preorder advertisement that they used just to make the games look complete and re wrapped afterwards.)

3. if you open any of the games check to see if the games shell has a fine texture to it, fakes usually have a flat/uneven texture and the word "gameboy advance" wont be sharp because they molded the shell on a real game and it wont look perfect.

Bootleg:
gba04.jpg

4. also if you opened on check to see if there's a number pressed into the label.

Real:
gba02.jpg

[quote name='TheUnsane1']The FFT:A box says "Not Comp atable with other gameboy systems" lol[/quote]

:?:

Ever tried to stick a GBA game in a GBC?

[quote name='Alpha2']UPC code info for FFTA(US):
http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=045496733377

UPC code for the FFTA shown at the top:
http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=785138320366

Your CV:HoD
http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=083717500216

Your Tactics Ogre:
http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=730865850020

Conclusion: they're all obviously fake boxes.[/quote]

I don't think you are right on the Tactics Ogre, I have a version bought from Gamestop which is a legit version and mine has the same UPC, but my box also has the Registered symbol after Game Boy on the front which his doesn't, so i am sure his is a fake, but not because of the UPC.

Wow, I've never seen sealed bootlegs before. The bootleg games I've seen have really glossy boxes, so obviously cheap copies. If I saw those at a flea market, I would totally have been fooled.

[quote name='defender']I noticed just now that on the shrinkwrap on those games...

NOT FACTORY SEALED

factory seals products a "seal" thats on the back smack in the middle...these do not appear to have that which means they werent sealed by nintendo

Assume they are bootlegs. Open it and if it is...return for refund or tell him you are calling the cops. You have 3 games...1 is bootleg...if you open 1 new and its bootleg..then do not open the 3rd game..keep it as proof that you didnt open it and he is selling you boots[/quote]

Yup. They are sealedon the sides if they are factory sealed. You are not suppouse to see a seal line on the white corner of the box. (checking all GBA games I have right now in panic :D). Nice work though.

I also noticed Tactics Ogre has an "N" simvol on the bottom left corner, right near Nintendo Seal of Quality. Mine don't have those and I have 3 copies to compare to.

After looking around, it's clear that the boxes are fakes, here's the back of the box for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

235902_back.jpg

In which the one you have, has an extra screenshot on the back, and the not compatible with other game boy systems is a dead giveaway. Also, the cartridge number is not the same, on your's it says AGB A ATKE, and look the pic to see the real number. The ESRB info also includes information on what the game may contain in the pic above, your's doesn't.

Thanks for the information, everyone. It sounds like they're all bootlegs. I'm going to try to return them the next time I'm near the flea market where I bought them. I'll post an update when I do.

[quote name='Night Wolf']Yea, if you open the box, check the cartridge.

I ordered a copy of Harvest Moon: Friends of the Mineral Town for GBA off of ebay and well, the box looked funny for one- the instruction booklet was two pages, and the cart said "NINTONDO"

Hahaha, plus it didn't fit my GBA right anyway.

I was going to return it, but it was too much of a hassle.[/quote]

if youre not going to return it, at least leave negative feedback so that guy doesnt scam anyone else

[quote name='xzafixz'][quote name='Alpha2']UPC code info for FFTA(US):
http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=045496733377

UPC code for the FFTA shown at the top:
http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=785138320366

Your CV:HoD
http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=083717500216

Your Tactics Ogre:
http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.pl?upc=730865850020

Conclusion: they're all obviously fake boxes.[/quote]

I don't think you are right on the Tactics Ogre, I have a version bought from Gamestop which is a legit version and mine has the same UPC, but my box also has the Registered symbol after Game Boy on the front which his doesn't, so i am sure his is a fake, but not because of the UPC.[/quote]

You;re right I didnt check the company info for the CV:HoD and Tactics Ogre, because I saw that the fields has so much "unknown", those two might actually have the correct UPC codes but the FFTA is way off, plus the fact that the shrink wrap seal is on the bottom says they're definatly not factory sealed so it's a good chance they all came from the same bootlegger.

I'm finally going to get a chance tomorrow to go back to the flea market to try to return these games. I'm going to try to get my money back, but they have a policy of no cash refunds, so I might have to exchange these bootleg GBA games for other games. I'm not going to exchange for other GBA games, unless the carts are loose and I can inspect them, because I'll probably just end up with another bootleg. The store did have a large selection of Gamecube and Xbox games, so I was thinking about picking up some of those instead if the store won't give me my money back. Is there any chance that their Gamecube or Xbox games could be bootlegs? I haven't heard of Gamecube or Xbox games being pirated, but with Halo 2 being leaked onto the Internet, anything's possible. The thing that makes me nervous is that most of their Gamecube and Xbox games are $5 or $10 under retail. I could always play it safe and pick up older games or systems; they had a nice selection of SNES games. Any thoughts?

[quote name='Wet Ninja']I'm finally going to get a chance tomorrow to go back to the flea market to try to return these games. I'm going to try to get my money back, but they have a policy of no cash refunds, so I might have to exchange these bootleg GBA games for other games. I'm not going to exchange for other GBA games, unless the carts are loose and I can inspect them, because I'll probably just end up with another bootleg. The store did have a large selection of Gamecube and Xbox games, so I was thinking about picking up some of those instead if the store won't give me my money back. Is there any chance that their Gamecube or Xbox games could be bootlegs? I haven't heard of Gamecube or Xbox games being pirated, but with Halo 2 being leaked onto the Internet, anything's possible. The thing that makes me nervous is that most of their Gamecube and Xbox games are $5 or $10 under retail. I could always play it safe and pick up older games or systems; they had a nice selection of SNES games. Any thoughts?[/quote]

I would angrily "explain" the situation, saying that bootlegs are illegal, and they shouldn't be selling them. Then maybe they would give you a cash refund.

[quote name='CapAmerica']GameCube games can not be Pirated.

Xbox can be Pirated but if I'm mistaken you do need a Modded Xbox in order to play bootlegs[/quote]

I can confirm that I've never ever heard of Gamecube games being pirated *yet*. I can't confirm XBox but thats probably likely.

Anyways this is why I stopped buying GBA games on eBay. I understand Harmony of Dissonance is rare/in demand along with a few other GBA games, but It's not worth the effort to save a few backs online. I've bought a ton of NES games on eBay as well, and eventually I'm going to have to open all the cartridges to see how many are real, and what is not. I gurantee you out over the 100+ NES and Gameboy games I bought online I'm sure I have several fakes. The GBA fakes are easier to notice, and I've returned three GBA games from eBay before, but still lost out on shipping costs and my valuable time.

I even heard theres fake NES games out there, believe it or not, especially for the rare copies of Dragon Warrior IV. So I have to open mine eventually.

[quote name='nikkai']Some of you guys here need to get new digital cameras... =)

Or maybe take some photography lessons. :D[/quote]

I could use some photography lessons. I had to take the pictures on an angle because the shrinkrap reflects the flash back to the camera, and there wasn't enough light in the room to take the pictures without flash.

I pulled out my box of Tactics Ogre (bought new sealed at Gamestop), I opened it but I only cut the top of the plastic open and left the rest still on it when I opened it to play it. I noticed three things, aside from the missing restricted logo:

1) The color on your box looks a lot darker than mine, not a big deal in itself because that could ust be attributed to your picture or the boxes being printed at a different place.

2)Defender's right, the shrinkwrap is all wrong, there's no seal across the back like mine has and the main seals where it shrinks down the plastic are on the side of mine not on the bottom and top like yours has.

3)This goes along the same lines as the missing restricted logo but there's also a little N inside a circle on the lower left hand front of my box which I couldn't find in your picture. Also the spacing seems to be just a wee bit different on your box, as far as where the ATLUS logo is looks like its a bit higher up on your box.

These look like really good bootlegs, the back especially is pretty much an exact copy of the real version. I don't have FFTA so I can't say anything about that but the others do look really close.

As far as the guy who mentioned something about the UPC, it is an exact match to my UPC. The problem with using the UPC database is that it only has UPCs that people have entered into it. I personally enetered Dynasty Warriors 4 for XBox myself so I know that is the way it goes. Someone probably hasn't entered any of these UPCs in there so they would obviously come back as not having a match.

[quote name='nikkai']Some of you guys here need to get new digital cameras... =)

Or maybe take some photography lessons. :D[/quote]

Hey I did my best with what I had, A Logitech POS webcam wasn't really designed to take photos.

Wet Ninja, unless you really want to buy other games from there, don't accept anything less than your cash back. I'd imagine the seller is just as clueless as you about their origin, but he is selling illegal goods, and I believe it's a felony offense. I'm sure a casual mention of this would change his mind should he give you any grief about returning your money.

I went to the flea market today to return the games. I explained to the owner there that the games were bootlegged, and showed her the back of the loose Tactics Ogre cartridge where it says Nintondo, the missing (R) mark on the sealed Tactics Ogre, and the different box art on Final Fantasy Tactics. She said that the loose Tactics Ogre was a trade-in, so it could be a bootleg that they didn't know about. She said that they get all their GBA games from a distributor in Canada. I also mentioned that the factory-sealed games are usually sealed on the side, rather than on the bottom, and she mentioned that they may not be factory-sealed. I explained that the only way to know for sure if the games are bootlegs are not is to inspect the actual cartridge, so she opened them all for me and showed me the cartridges. They all had the Nintendo logo on the back, and they looked legit. Isn't the Nintendo logo supposed to be written on the circuit board near the contacts on the bottom of the cartridge? I looked for it there, but didn't see it on any of them. I decided that I didn't want to take any chances and asked if I could return them. They gave me my money back with no trouble at all.

I was really glad that I got the whole thing settled and got my money back, and I'm surprised it went so smoothly. Now, I'm just confused about the cartridges. They said Nintendo on the back, and the packaging was very good. Apparently they were either manufactured or at least resealed in Canada, according to her comments about her distributor. I guess they're bootlegs, but they're different from Hong Kong bootlegs, since they don't say Nintondo on the back. Oh well. I got my money back, so I'm satisfied.

Looks like bootlegs may be getting an upgrade if they're increasingly getting harder to spot.

But it's good to hear that she was willing to go through all that and refund you the $$. :eek:

you are right it should have the Nintendo logo on the circuit board. All of my GBA games have it.

Sinces Nintendo has been cracking down on bootleg GBA games they probily have upgraded them to have the logo printed on the back of the carts to make them harder to identifi. Its not something thats to hard to do. all that needs to be done is an upgrade to the molds that the carts are made in.

Glad to hear you got your money back.

That sucks that the bootleggers are making it less obvious. I'm going to be ultra paranoid everytime I get something on eBay now :( Hopefully, they won't start putting stuff on the circuit board.

If you ever go back to the flea market and if that lady even cares, she should report that distributor to Nintendo. If she's not in on it, she's being ripped off too. And congratulations for getting your money back and dealing with an honest and non a-hole seller.

You know why the lady was so willing to open the sealed boxes. It's because she probably shrink wrapped them herself. I could easily tell that those were not original shrinkwrap. Eb Games and Gamestop have shrink wrap machines so it's probably pretty easy to get access to one. what's the number one rule to collecting? If it to good to be true it probably is. If you have to question it then either pass on it or be willing to be satified with a pirated copy.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I pulled out my box of Tactics Ogre (bought new sealed at Gamestop), I opened it but I only cut the top of the plastic open and left the rest still on it when I opened it to play it. I noticed three things, aside from the missing restricted logo:

1) The color on your box looks a lot darker than mine, not a big deal in itself because that could ust be attributed to your picture or the boxes being printed at a different place.

2)Defender's right, the shrinkwrap is all wrong, there's no seal across the back like mine has and the main seals where it shrinks down the plastic are on the side of mine not on the bottom and top like yours has.

3)This goes along the same lines as the missing restricted logo but there's also a little N inside a circle on the lower left hand front of my box which I couldn't find in your picture. Also the spacing seems to be just a wee bit different on your box, as far as where the ATLUS logo is looks like its a bit higher up on your box.

These look like really good bootlegs, the back especially is pretty much an exact copy of the real version. I don't have FFTA so I can't say anything about that but the others do look really close.

As far as the guy who mentioned something about the UPC, it is an exact match to my UPC. The problem with using the UPC database is that it only has UPCs that people have entered into it. I personally enetered Dynasty Warriors 4 for XBox myself so I know that is the way it goes. Someone probably hasn't entered any of these UPCs in there so they would obviously come back as not having a match.[/quote]

yea, my tactics ogre box doesnt have the "N" inside the circle either...

yay, mine's real! (i got it in a trade a while back)

bread's done
Back