Best Deal For Battlestar Galactica?

We have one of these posts once a month now and they never have any info.

Best best it Google Checkout.

I think they are supposed to release 2.0 and 2.5 together for a cheaper price in the summer, you can wait until then.

If you don't mind buying used, you can pick up all 3 at gamestop. They have the buy 2 get 1 free on all used dvds. You can use the online checker to see if they have the sets in stock at your local store. Unfortunately, you can only check for season 1 and 2.0 right now. I bought all three during their last sale for about $50 with the discount card. The discs were in great shape. In my area a lot of people trade in stolen goods, so most of the dvd sets have never even been watched.

Don't want to thread crap, but since BSG is still in production, PLEASE buy the DVD no matter what the price. Just like Family Guy, strong DVD sales will result in a longer life for this amazing show. BSG is currently scheduled to end next season but with strong DVD sales, you never know what might happen.......

Best price is normally DDD's twice a year sale. That's about as good as it gets. I love BSG, but they never go on sale EVER at BB, CC, or Target.

Please buy BSG DVD's. I second that this is a great way to support the show. Albeit, this upcoming season will likely be the last, but still buy the DVD's.

Also, wait till summer for 2.0/2.5 as they will be released together for 69.99 msrp.

[quote name='Rimmit']Best price is normally DDD's twice a year sale. That's about as good as it gets. I love BSG, but they never go on sale EVER at BB, CC, or Target.

Please buy BSG DVD's. I second that this is a great way to support the show. Albeit, this upcoming season will likely be the last, but still buy the DVD's.

Also, wait till summer for 2.0/2.5 as they will be released together for 69.99 msrp.[/QUOTE]
holy crap $70. i don't know how they get away with this. i understand that's still less than buying both seperately msrp right now, but still. how do they expect to sell this with a price like that? it's like the universal is asking for the show to be canceled.

p.s. i got the first season used from wherehouse.com in A+ condition when they had a 25% off sale for about $25 bucks. don't have 2.0, 2.5 yet

I just need 2.0. I got the first season + the individual miniseries (gift and I like the commentaries) and 2.5 (gift), but I can't go to season 2 because I'm missing 2.0.

This thread makes me sad and confused:
What is in the 2.5 rather then the 2?
When did they say this was being canceled/ending?
Why would they get most of the actors to sign 5 year contracts if they where ending the show?
What are the prices of the DVD when the DDD sale comes around ?
Will show be released on blu ray?

[quote name='xplode427']holy crap $70. i don't know how they get away with this. i understand that's still less than buying both seperately msrp right now, but still. how do they expect to sell this with a price like that? it's like the universal is asking for the show to be canceled.
[/QUOTE]

You should be able to find it for $50 everywhere.

And it's like Showtime and HBO, they charge more for no reason. Weeds Season 1 cost $20 for ten 30 minute episodes. That's a lot. Hell a movie is only 2 hours long and they still charge $15-$20 for them.

[quote name='abhinav']This thread makes me sad and confused:
What is in the 2.5 rather then the 2?
When did they say this was being canceled/ending?
Why would they get most of the actors to sign 5 year contracts if they where ending the show?
What are the prices of the DVD when the DDD sale comes around ?
Will show be released on blu ray?[/QUOTE]

1. They seperated the season into two DVD sets.
2. The show was only picked up for a fourth season because of DVD sales and not rating.
3. Actors always sign 5 year deals, that's how it works. They signed unto 5 years at the beginning of the show.
4. 20% off what they are now. Look it up.
5. No. Unless you want to wait for years and years.

[quote name='David85']1. They seperated the season into two DVD sets.
2. The show was only picked up for a fourth season because of DVD sales and not rating.
3. Actors always sign 5 year deals, that's how it works. They signed unto 5 years at the beginning of the show.
4. 20% off what they are now. Look it up.
5. No. Unless you want to wait for years and years.[/quote]

1) Well that was stupid of them, it wasnt an espcially long season anyways.
2) I cannot believe that, the show is one of the most talked about on my college campus and people are crazy about it. I hope it does go on.
3) I did not know that, aparentlly the man who played Billy did not sign this deal and was killed off in the show for that reason.
4) Comes out to $35 for season 1 alone, you would be better off with GCO or the EB games deals (which i will probablly bite on now)
5) Someone above mentioned the HDdvd thing so i thought we might see some info.

Thanks for the info David. :)

1) Well that was stupid of them, it wasnt an espcially long season anyways.

They were trying to capitalize on the show's popularity, which peaked at around the time season two began. Sci-Fi splits their shows into two mini-seasons, and released the set at around the time the second half of season two was premiering. The show DVDs sell fairly well which is why we're getting a fourth season.

2) I cannot believe that, the show is one of the most talked about on my college campus and people are crazy about it. I hope it does go on.

College campuses are also notorious for downloading shows instead of watching them on television, especially since a lot of Sci-Fi shows premiere overseas before they are shown in the US. It's also the nature of the show, despite what the producers think, it's very serialized. It's hard for new viewers to join the show in the middle, and when you miss a couple episodes, you don't want to watch new ones until you've seen the ones you've missed.

[quote name='abhinav']
5) Someone above mentioned the HDdvd thing so i thought we might see some info.
[/QUOTE]

The studio behind BSG is Universal, and at least for the moment, they are exclusively in the HD_DVD camp, so it is unlikely to be coming out on Blu-ray anytime soon. But there has been talk that HD_DVD sets might be coming out in the fall. That's what I'm waiting for.

It's disappointing that we can't get any good sci-fi shows to last more than 4-5 seasons within the last decade or so. Farscape, Firefly, even StarTrek: Enterprise and now BSG have all been axed early.

The biggest reason that I can think of is that these types of shows are so expensive to produce because of all the special effects, that if the big ratings aren't there, then the studios aren't making their money back. Too expensive for TV, but not willing to take a chance on a theatrical release.

Too bad studios tend to ignore the direct-to-DVD market (except for Disney and all their crappy sequels to classic cartoon movies). But with digital distribution becoming more mainstream, maybe we'll see some good sci-fi shows taking this route (at least, I hope).

They slipt season 2 in order to get more money. BSG does not get great ratings but the DVD sales are amazing. So in order to get more money they split the set up. Sci-fi even came out and said the renew for the fourth season was based on talk and DVD sales and not ratings. The ratings suck considering the cost of the show.

Billy is not a main charater, the main charaters sign 5 year deals. You can get out of them, but they sign them anyways. The same thing happened with Atlantis and several of the charaters are gone anyways.

And I think sci-fi shows should only last 5ish seasons. There is no need to carry the show on longer than 5 seasons. They already have issues coming up with 20 episodes a season they don't need more seasons. Enterprise was shit and both Voyager and DS9 last 7 years. People don't like sci-fi and they cost more to make than other shows to make. It's much cheaper just to make some new L&Os and CSIs than new sci-fi.

[quote name='Krymner']
Too bad studios tend to ignore the direct-to-DVD market (except for Disney and all their crappy sequels to classic cartoon movies). But with digital distribution becoming more mainstream, maybe we'll see some good sci-fi shows taking this route (at least, I hope).[/QUOTE]

They are already doing a BSG DVD movie in the fall. There is also a rumour (is supposedly confirmed but I have yet to have found a good source) that MGM has given the greenlight to a Dead Like Me DVD movie. The problem is that is all the info we have and i doubt they can get all (if any) of the orginal cast back.

[quote name='vtcheapgamer']Don't want to thread crap, but since BSG is still in production, PLEASE buy the DVD no matter what the price. Just like Family Guy, strong DVD sales will result in a longer life for this amazing show. BSG is currently scheduled to end next season but with strong DVD sales, you never know what might happen.......[/quote]
The creator of the show(Ron Moore) has said that he wants to the show to end in one season. He doesn't want to milk the show and have it slowly run into the ground losing more and more fans each year ala Star Trek/Stargate. In the lastest BSG podcast Ron said that the series would go 1 maybe 2 more seasons. He said when they find earth that is about it.

[quote name='Underfoot']The creator of the show(Ron Moore) has said that he wants to the show to end in one season. He doesn't want to milk the show and have it slowly run into the ground losing more and more fans each year ala Star Trek/Stargate. In the lastest BSG podcast Ron said that the series would go 1 maybe 2 more seasons. He said when they find earth that is about it.[/quote]

Screw Earth.....I want the Cyclon homeworld. :hot:

If you live near a bullmoose (I saw a few at the Salem, NH one), they have them for 22 dolars each. I didn't see the first season there though, just 2.0 and 2.5.

[quote name='vtcheapgamer']Screw Earth.....I want the Cyclon homeworld. :hot:[/QUOTE]

What do you think Earth is? ;)

[quote name='David85']What do you think Earth is? ;)[/QUOTE]

that's kind of where i was hoping they would go with the series finale

it would be a cool twist to the 'we're the aliens' motif

[quote name='David85']What do you think Earth is? ;)[/quote]

That can't be it! Why would the cylons be looking for their own homeworld? Wouldn't they know where it is already? They make it sound like it would be a new place to start over, i think it might be a place where the final 5 might have been or are but not the cylon home world. Or maybe it is, who knows.

[quote name='David85']They slipt season 2 in order to get more money. BSG does not get great ratings but the DVD sales are amazing. So in order to get more money they split the set up. Sci-fi even came out and said the renew for the fourth season was based on talk and DVD sales and not ratings. The ratings suck considering the cost of the show.

Billy is not a main charater, the main charaters sign 5 year deals. You can get out of them, but they sign them anyways. The same thing happened with Atlantis and several of the charaters are gone anyways.

And I think sci-fi shows should only last 5ish seasons. There is no need to carry the show on longer than 5 seasons. They already have issues coming up with 20 episodes a season they don't need more seasons. Enterprise was shit and both Voyager and DS9 last 7 years. People don't like sci-fi and they cost more to make than other shows to make. It's much cheaper just to make some new L&Os and CSIs than new sci-fi.

They are already doing a BSG DVD movie in the fall. There is also a rumour (is supposedly confirmed but I have yet to have found a good source) that MGM has given the greenlight to a Dead Like Me DVD movie. The problem is that is all the info we have and i doubt they can get all (if any) of the orginal cast back.[/QUOTE]

I personally think ratings are completely blown out of proportion. They need to incorporate a ratings system in EVERY tv and not just some crappy sample group. I am always watching shows that have horrible ratings, as well as all of my friends and family. BSG, Smallville, etc.

[quote name='tayaf69']I personally think ratings are completely blown out of proportion. They need to incorporate a ratings system in EVERY tv and not just some crappy sample group. I am always watching shows that have horrible ratings, as well as all of my friends and family. BSG, Smallville, etc.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is even that.

Sci-fi Channel a few years ago got good ratings, there were in the 2-2.5 in the lame rating system ,everything was nice. BSG then started to fall, but so did Sc-fi. They now get 1.5 tops. The point is BSG is a good show but it's on a shit network.

It is sad to think of this show ending even after 4-5 seasons. This has to be my favorite series ever. Perfect graphics, story, cast. Amazing show. How can a show like Stargate SG-1 survive year after year (which it got REALLY bad btw) and a show like this die so quickly? I guess I will agree with the network problem. Send it to Fox.

[quote name='tayaf69']It is sad to think of this show ending even after 4-5 seasons. This has to be my favorite series ever. Perfect graphics, story, cast. Amazing show. How can a show like Stargate SG-1 survive year after year (which it got REALLY bad btw) and a show like this die so quickly? I guess I will agree with the network problem. Send it to Fox.[/quote]

Fox would have canceled it after the first episode. They got rid of Firefly:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='tayaf69']I guess I will agree with the network problem. Send it to Fox.[/QUOTE]
And let it die like arrested development?!? Plus, i'm pretty sure it's an nbc/universal show.

[quote name='xplode427']And let it die like arrested development?!? Plus, i'm pretty sure it's an nbc/universal show.[/QUOTE]
The fox comment was sarcastic (although I guess it did appear rather dry). I still can't forgive them for canceling Firefly even though it was the network's fault for screwing the season over. And wow I am ashamed to admit it, I can't believe they canceled the OC. My ex and I used to watch every episode. I do think fox cancels everything too quickly. I really don't even have a favorite network. I like FX, Sci-fi, TBS, and ESPN. That's about it.

BTW, I have $25 in best buy reward zone credit I have to spend by tomorrow so I am going to go and buy BSG 2.0. I have watched the first season completely over again over the last three days and I never get tired of it.

[quote name='tayaf69']It is sad to think of this show ending even after 4-5 seasons. This has to be my favorite series ever. Perfect graphics, story, cast. Amazing show. How can a show like Stargate SG-1 survive year after year (which it got REALLY bad btw) and a show like this die so quickly? I guess I will agree with the network problem. Send it to Fox.[/quote] I honestly don't want to see Battlestar Galactica last more then 4 or 5 seasons. BSG has a begining, middle, and an end, and based on the season 3 finale it seems like the show is winding down story wise. I don't want them to drag out the story, especially since Ron Moore said getting to Earth was the end of the story. After all, when a show ends the fans should be left wanting more.

Also, this is a little off topic (but still BSG related). Has anyone seen seen any Battlestar Pegasus toys in their local stores (they are usually mixed in with the Star Wars Titanium toys)? They seem to be impossible to find in my area, and they sell for $50+ on eBay, which is crazy for a $5 toy. It's the only new Battlestar Galactica toy I still need (besides the Centurion, but I'm pretty sure that was extremely limited). If anyone finds one I would be more then willing to pay the $5 plus shipping and a little extra for helping me out.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Fox would have canceled it after the first episode. They got rid of Firefly:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:[/quote]fuck you Fox!!!!!!! I finally got around to watching Serenity tonight. I want more Firefly!!!! :bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='xplode427']holy crap $70. i don't know how they get away with this.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Prices are outrageous. No wonder the BSG DVDs for Season 2.5 have been on backorder at Blockbuster Online for so long. I also think DVDs of shows like on HBO are priced way too high.

[quote name='David85']There is also a rumour (is supposedly confirmed but I have yet to have found a good source) that MGM has given the greenlight to a Dead Like Me DVD movie. The problem is that is all the info we have and i doubt they can get all (if any) of the orginal cast back.[/QUOTE]

OMG, that would be the best news ever! Dead Like Me is my second favorite show ever (first is Firefly). A movie would be great (if they can get the original cast together).

[quote name='tayaf69']so compared to season 1, how are the 2nd and 3rd seasons?[/QUOTE]

The first season beats everything else by a mile. Season 2.0 is second best, 2.5 is shit. The beginning of season 3 is great, but then there is episode after episode that is just pointless.

And The OC?!

HAHAHAHA

That show went downhill so fast! The first season they had a megahit, by the time the second episode of season 2 aired it was clue the show was dommed. Then everything was screwed up in season 3, and season 4.... wow. Look are best friend died! We will replace here and no one will care a few episodes later!

[quote name='guardian_owl']The BSG 2.0 + 2.5 2-pack is going to be released on May 8th, which should be well before the summer DDD sale[/QUOTE]

DDD is dead, it's DD now. :p

Plus maybe they won't have the sale with the new site. ;)

Hey all thought I'd drop you guys a heads up that best buy has a deal this week for seasons 2.0 and 2.5 bought together for $50 plus tax. If you do instore pick up then you can knock shipping off. Also worth note...and I'm not too sure how it happened... but i entered in my rewards zone member id before purchasing online and when I went to pick it up in store they knocked 5 more bucks off making my total 48.89 after tax for both.

EDIT: heres the link for you http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&cmp=&id=pcmcat119500050020

[quote name='bill123']Hey all thought I'd drop you guys a heads up that best buy has a deal this week for seasons 2.0 and 2.5 bought together for $50 plus tax. If you do instore pick up then you can knock shipping off. Also worth note...and I'm not too sure how it happened... but i entered in my rewards zone member id before purchasing online and when I went to pick it up in store they knocked 5 more bucks off making my total 48.89 after tax for both.

EDIT: heres the link for you http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&cmp=&id=pcmcat119500050020[/quote]

The same deal exists at Costco for $45.49.

(I just picked one up tonight).:bouncy:

The House deal is there for same price as well.

OK, I can no longer resist the peer pressure...I'd like grab some BSG on DVD during the Deep Discount sale.

I see that there's a mini-series and a Season One...which one should I see first?

[quote name='bmachine']OK, I can no longer resist the peer pressure...I'd like grab some BSG on DVD during the Deep Discount sale.

I see that there's a mini-series and a Season One...which one should I see first?[/quote]

Season 1 contains the mini-series, so no need for that extra purchase.

bread's done
Back