Chinese Students Horde Wiis in Tokyo

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
When the Wii's went on sale this Saturday morning (4/28/07) at Toys R Us in Kameido, Tokyo, these Chinese students were there to buy up as many as possible. I'm assuming they are going to be resold. I even saw some old Chinese ladies walk out with a few Wiis.

Every white bag you see has a Wii in it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia0TzJv9bvs[/media]
chinesewii.jpg

fucking hoarders. I guess you're going to encounter them no matter where you live.

The video is a bit disappointing, I would of liked for you to go "You've done it now! CHEAPY ANGRY! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!" and go about destroying their Wiis.

Half of us: "Deplorable."

The other half: "Hey, you gots ta gets paid. By any means necessary, ya heard? Yeah, yeah, yeah!"

I will never respect the opposing 'viewpoint' on this one.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Why Chinese?[/quote]
My guess is that this is just an easy way for them to make money.
Their student visas may not allow them to get the kind of jobs they would be interested in. They can probably make about $50-$75 per Wii.

If you are asking how I know they are Chinese...they were speaking Chinese, so I just assumed...

[quote name='jollydwarf']Half of us: "Deplorable."

The other half: "Hey, you gots ta gets paid. By any means necessary, ya heard? Yeah, yeah, yeah!"

I will never respect the opposing 'viewpoint' on this one.[/QUOTE]
Which is the opposing viewpoint?

hoarding is just so wrong...assholes...
but chinese arent the only ones doing it...
here in america we got all nationalities hoarding the wiis...they should only limit it to 1 per customer per day

Damned Hoarders. I think someone should make a shirt that says "fuck you hoarder" in all languages covering the shirt. I lack the photoshop skills to make a mock-up.

What we don't see is that we are looking at the large bags, and everyone was looking at the large white man filming.

[quote name='CheapyD']My guess is that this is just an easy way for them to make money.
Their student visas may not allow them to get the kind of jobs they would be interested in. They can probably make about $50-$75 per Wii.

If you are asking how I know they are Chinese...they were speaking Chinese, so I just assumed...[/quote]

Woah! I want to move to japan! So I can purchase a wii for $50-75 bucks! Thats sweet.

Damn, would it kill stores to make it one per person on Wii's

They'll be the first ones to blame Ninty for not keeping up with demand and causing their customers to leave dissapointed, yet they'll let 5 people buy their entire Wii stock in a morning.

Damn, this shit winds me up.

Yeah, it's a shame, as y'all said. On the bright side, surely the hording will soon eventually subside a bit THROUGH the horders, once they can saturate the market enough themselves, coupled with Nintendo's continued consistent production...but in the meantime, again as y'all said, I think we can all relate to the disappointed gamers turned away because of the horders. It'll work out, though. Gamers will get their Wii eventually, hopefully at retail and not through horder mark-up.

By the way, I've long lurked over the YMIJ board, shared links to threads here with friends, etc. One of my favorite places on the internet is this particular board! First comment here, so I figure I'll just go ahead and show my belated props right here while I'm finally actually posting! Thanks for sharing all of this stuff with us, CheapyD, and thanks to the CAG regulars for always being hilarious with the comments.

[quote name='Bazz']I guess 1 per person doesn't exsit there.[/quote]

It really dosen't exist here either sadly.

I wonder how many of those Wii's will end up in a factory, thus the production of counterfeit/fake Wii's.

At least they can get Wiis over there. You can't find a Wii here for jackshit.

And yeah its the Chinese that hate the Japanese. Ever heard of the "Rape of Nanking?" Its when the Japs killed over 200, 000 people around WWII. It is basically the forgotten holocaust. Not only did the Japs killed that many Chinese, but they also tortured and raped many people as well. At least 20, 000 women and children were raped. There are stories of the Japs forcing fathers to rape their daughters and men being forced to have sex with corpses just for the amusement of the Japanese. The Chinese were also used in "experiments" just like the Jews were. What pisses me off most is that the fucking Japanese government still does not have the fucking balls to admit they did all this. Bunch of fucking denying pussies.

Is it me or am I missing something here? WTF is so great about a Wii?

Quick story, I'm shopping in a CC about two weeks ago on a Sunday morning. A little Chinese girl who could barely speak English comes to me and says can you do me a favor. Now, at this point, I'm like, yes, I'm getting lucky but what happens, she wants me to buy her a Wii. Since her and her family (who, mind you, already had three) couldn't buy anymore. So she gave me the cash and I picked it up. They still had two cases of them left at the time. It never phased me or even stirred up anything to ever get one of these things. To me they look to be nothing more than a really cheesey gimmick.

It seems to be the hype. It looks like a fun system (I have played it twice) but not worth the $250 MSRP and I agree about the gimmick statement. Wii Sports looks like it would get boring in an hour. Even when I played bowling with 3 other people, after 1 game I had enough. I will get the system eventually, once it is under $200

This is why innovative games/systems can't exist, people discount them as "gimmicks."

Not sure about the rest of you, but I tire of games that have 5+ sequels. We need games that are new.

You know, I really wish someone DID try to mug them and take a Wii or two...

That would be one hell of a kung fu battle, right? I mean, they all know martial arts by the time they hit puberty...

[quote name='uberzone']I'm shocked no one notices a 6ft tall bald white guy walking with a camera(phone).[/QUOTE]

yeah i was thinking the same thing..some white bald white guy..filming their scores.

yeah its the chinese that hate japanese...i dont think the japanese hate anybody at this moment since they are raking in the dough through exports.

yeah i searched ebay for wiis...and there are tons and tons now around 350-600 price range. i think i can wait another year for this. friend has one and 360 is more than enough to take care of gaming needs .

edit:Japs-japanese

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Woah! I want to move to japan! So I can purchase a wii for $50-75 bucks! Thats sweet.[/QUOTE]

ban.

[quote name='Dunvane']You know, I really wish someone DID try to mug them and take a Wii or two...

That would be one hell of a kung fu battle, right? I mean, they all know martial arts by the time they hit puberty...[/QUOTE]

Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read this week so far!

As for the whole scheme, if they're hoarding Wii's to resell them at a $50 to $75 dollar per Wii markup because they can't get the jobs they want, and $50 to $75 sounds like a good profit to them, where the hell did they get the money for 2 dozen Wii's???

Sure 24 x $75 = $1800 and that's a good chuck of change. But reselling Wii's right now is iffy at best due to oversaturation and overall negative attitudes of the public toward hoarders, and they'd have to invest 24 x $250 = $6000 to even get started. And it's not even a sure thing. I don't get it...

On a related bastard note, a few weekends ago, Jenn and I went to Lexington for some friend's wedding shower with intentions of taking them to Target and buying the grill they registered for. Long story short, and two damaged-in-box grills later, we told them we'd get them a Wii instead if we could find it. We stopped at a local CC on a whim and was informed by a store employee that they were sold out but his "friend" had 10 Wii's he was selling for $300 and could hook us up. We told a manager before we left for sure. We ended up finding a cheaper and nicer grill at Wal-Mart and they found their Wii a few weeks later at a Best Buy.

Jenn and I found our Wii at a local Wal-Mart and called a friend to come pick on up as he was Wii hunting too. Everyone I've known so far has loved playing it. It makes re-hashed games like Call of Duty 3 interesting again. I'll probably never play a FPS on computer again.

[quote name='Puffa469']Their gold farming sweatshop mustve gotten shut down... ;)[/QUOTE]

Dammit, I need my epic mount LAWLZ.

if it was an easy way for them to make money then that was pretty smart, and theyre lucky they didnthave the 1/person rule

[quote name='iOsiris']how do you know that they're even Chinese? like how can you tell?[/QUOTE]

'cuz they look it, and they probably sound it too.

[quote name='iOsiris']how do you know that they're even Chinese? like how can you tell?[/quote]
Easy. Eyelids. Dressing. Way of Talking.

I'm not surprised what they did.

[quote name='SonicPower']Easy. Eyelids. Dressing. Way of Talking.

I'm not surprised what they did.[/quote]

Wow. I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic and don't actually espouse those ignorant beliefs.

bread's done
Back