Cagcast listener since day 1 - My opinion...

Hex Blade

CAG Veteran
I would like to start off by saying that the Cagcast is one of my favourite pod casts. I’ve enjoyed listening to it since day one. I find the views and topics most entertaining. Cheapy is a natural podcast host and he never fails to make me smile many times on every weeks cast. I'm also a huge Robocop fan.

However, I’m afraid i cant say the same for his co host wombat. I used to like wombat’s humour, opinions and wit but for a while now he’s slowing become quite irritating and annoying.
His apparent disinterest at times in taking the Cagcast seriously and even gaming in general it seems, hinders the Cagcast considerably and coupled with his immature comments and sarcastic remarks on almost every topic, I feel that he really is starting to spoil an otherwise excellent podcast.

And while I’m on the subject, why does wombat feel the need to always mention his wife's state of undress at every opportunity? When my wife walks past me topless while I’m the phone to a friend, I have never felt the need to tell them.

If Cheapy was to do the Cagcasts alone, it would no doute improve it or better still drop the wombat for a much more worthy co host that matches Cheapy’s professionalism.
And before Wombat starts throwing mindless insults, I’m not the only one in thinking this. I’ve a number of friends who regularly listen to the Cagcast and also feel that the quality and entertainment has slowing started to diminish.

Cheapy is doing an excellent job at keeping it all together dispite his co hosts
Constant interruptions and annoyances. Sometimes Cheapy’s apparent irritation is clearly heard on some occasions and I sometimes feel sorry for him to be putting up with it.

But that said, the Cagcast is still a favorite of mine and i would never miss one, even if i do have to put up with an annoying Wombat.

[quote name='pimpinc333']O'Snap!

Is that a picture of Micheal Jackson for your Av?[/quote]

Michael Jackson? God forbid..
No, it’s my avatar from IMUV.com

I kinda agree with the OP... I've also seen it mentioned a few times around the forum as well (but I don't recall where... probably in one of the discussion threads).

As an aside, I really like the videos and things Cheapy puts together... he definitely does have that sort of style and personality you were talking about, he just seems to be natural being on air (whatever the medium).

I actually started listening to the CAGcast because I enjoyed the unboxing videos :lol:

Wombat is just the Luke Smith of the CAGcast you either love him or you hate him

I hate to say it but I've stopped listening to the CAGcast. Ever since CAG's started to hate Wombat when he kept asking for free stuff from Cheapy, then other CAG's made that shitty Wombat Group. That shit was annoying.

The first 40 or so shows were great. Then Wombat discovered his voice and ever since, every time he steps up on his soapbox to deliver one of his horribly misinformed rants I just have to space out for about five minutes. Even when he is proven wrong or his opinion is proven to be in the small minority, he is too stubborn the change (or at least shut up about it), which makes any discussion or debate between him and Cheapy on the show or in the forums pointless because you know he isn't ever going to change his mind.

Wombat is fine as a sidekick, but in his current role he is intolerable. Find someone else that actually still plays videogames, or actually has some sort of experience covering videogames, and the CAGcast would be a lot better off.

[quote name='GF_Eric']The first 40 or so shows were great. Then Wombat discovered his voice and ever since, every time he steps up on his soapbox to deliver one of his horribly misinformed rants I just have to space out for about five minutes. Even when he is proven wrong or his opinion is proven to be in the small minority, he is too stubborn the change (or at least shut up about it), which makes any discussion or debate between him and Cheapy on the show or in the forums pointless because you know he isn't ever going to change his mind.

Wombat is fine as a sidekick, but in his current role he is intolerable. Find someone else that actually still plays videogames, or actually has some sort of experience covering videogames, and the CAGcast would be a lot better off.[/QUOTE]

While I don't really think Wombat's interruptions are anywhere near as frequent now as they were a while back... he still doesn't have much to say and yes, the soapbox moments are ridiculous. Sometimes he rants about things that could've been funny or interesting if they were condensed into a 10 second chunk but... he goes on and on for upwards of 10 minutes about nothing most of the time. I used to listen to the CAGCast all the time, but between Wombat's asinine ranting and the fact that neither of the hosts really seem to play... any games at all... I've kinda lost interest.

[quote name='Chacrana']While I don't really think Wombat's interruptions are anywhere near as frequent now as they were a while back... he still doesn't have much to say and yes, the soapbox moments are ridiculous. Sometimes he rants about things that could've been funny or interesting if they were condensed into a 10 second chunk but... he goes on and on for upwards of 10 minutes about nothing most of the time. I used to listen to the CAGCast all the time, but between Wombat's asinine ranting and the fact that neither of the hosts really seem to play... any games at all... I've kinda lost interest.[/QUOTE]

Hey Now. Cheapy is a busy man. Wait til Forza 2 comes out. I'm sure he will be playing with all the CAG's just like when Forza hit for Xbox. Good Times Cheapy. Good Times.

:rofl: at people trying to make it professional. If this thing ever goes "professional" without the fuckin' around they do on the show, ill stop listening. The whacky random comments are what keep me happy and listening. It's what makes the Cagcast THE cagcast.

For fuck's sake, these are just 2 regular guys expressing what they want out of video games. It's the stick up the ass people have that makes them want to feel more superior than these guys on the Cagcast. Just chillax and enjoy it. Nobody gives a fuck if you read blogs all day and think you know more than Wombat or Cheapy. They do the best they can at what they do and that's that.

[quote name='AshesofWake']:rofl: at people trying to make it professional. If this thing ever goes "professional" without the fuckin' around they do on the show, ill stop listening. The whacky random comments are what keep me happy and listening. It's what makes the Cagcast THE cagcast.

For fuck's sake, these are just 2 regular guys expressing what they want out of video games. It's the stick up the ass people have that makes them want to feel more superior than these guys on the Cagcast. Just chillax and enjoy it. Nobody gives a fuck if you read blogs all day and think you know more than Wombat or Cheapy. They do the best they can at what they do and that's that.[/QUOTE]

Chillax? Do people still say that or is it a "Cali" thing :)

[quote name='Chacrana']While I don't really think Wombat's interruptions are anywhere near as frequent now as they were a while back... he still doesn't have much to say and yes, the soapbox moments are ridiculous. Sometimes he rants about things that could've been funny or interesting if they were condensed into a 10 second chunk but... he goes on and on for upwards of 10 minutes about nothing most of the time. I used to listen to the CAGCast all the time, but between Wombat's asinine ranting and the fact that neither of the hosts really seem to play... any games at all... I've kinda lost interest.[/QUOTE]

I like the Rants they amuse me, and on that note I like the fact its a couple of guys who don't play games all day and night. I'm 27 Married and have a 6yo I don't have a lot of time to play also. It's nice to hear things from people like me , and again I find them funny it would not be the same show with insert random gamer here.

I agree. I haven't been listening to the podcasts as much as I used to, and it's mostly because of Wombat. He really drags the podcast down. He seems to pretty much not really give a shit anymore, and his rants almost always come off as the posts of someone I put on my ignore list.

I say replace him with ViolentLee. At least he plays and enjoys videogames.

well, hmmm Thanks for the critisism, honestly, I mean you guys still listen so I guess the ball is in my court to be less annoying. For the record I am always interested and listening, but I will admit that there are times that the connection sucks and I have no idea what cheapy just said to me, and vice versa. But regardless I don't want to be the one to "drag the show down". Personally I think I am doing a good job and one thing we need to start doing is highlighting more of the games we are currently playing. Because we are playing more than you think, I guess I always assumed that no one cared that played God Of War 2 for 8 hours on sunday.

I've been a listener since day one as well. My biggest complaint with Wombat are those grandiose statements he makes about the game industry. My suggestion would be to keep it low key. Find a comfort zone and stick to it. And if anybody gets to personal on the CAGcast, it's cheapy. I don't mind Wombat mentioning his wife now and then but hearing about Mrs. Cheapy's masturbation habits is a little too much info.

Also, Vagina Clown is gold. Keep it up Wombat :D

I believe Wombat brings something to the CAGcast - an opinion. he brings a perspective not many other people would see, and for that I like listening to what he has to say. Take it, not many people might agree with me, but I think it's better than having one host for the CAGcast.

Also, I believe CheapyD and Wombat compliment each other and the CAGcast with their own individual perspective. The CAGcast would not be the same if one would go AWOL. That is why I'd rather have the CAGcast delayed a week than have it go with only one host.

Nobody's perfect.

For instance, on the last episode, Wombat wanted to share his enthusiasm for Justice League Heroes. This wasn't a whine nor a criticism, just praise for a pretty damn good, but overlooked game.

I got the feeling Cheapy cut him off. Now, I'm not saying anything bad about him, it's just we all have different tastes, and if something doesn't interest us, we move on.

I think the Cagcast is one of the best VG podcast out there. The host have great rapport, and are interesting to listen to. Try listing to the Achievement Junkie show; I could make it through a whole show if someone paid me.

Cheapy and Wombat's conversations are like shooting shit with a couple of old friends. The two make me look forward to Wednesdays.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Cheapy and Wombat's conversations are like shooting shit with a couple of old friends...[/quote]

agreed. the personal nature of their conversations really draw me in more than other podcasts.

Cheapy is the highlight of the show, but he plays it too safe. I'd probably fall asleep listening to the CAGcast if Wombat wasn't on the show, Wombat at least has the balls to say things that conflict with a lot of our opinions, hence the reason why he is so despised.

If it wasn't for Wombat, all we would hear about is what new ridiculously expensive toy Cheapy bought that day, and the like. No thanks.

[quote name='GF_Eric']The first 40 or so shows were great. Then Wombat discovered his voice and ever since, every time he steps up on his soapbox to deliver one of his horribly misinformed rants I just have to space out for about five minutes. Even when he is proven wrong or his opinion is proven to be in the small minority, he is too stubborn the change (or at least shut up about it), which makes any discussion or debate between him and Cheapy on the show or in the forums pointless because you know he isn't ever going to change his mind.

Wombat is fine as a sidekick, but in his current role he is intolerable. Find someone else that actually still plays videogames, or actually has some sort of experience covering videogames, and the CAGcast would be a lot better off.[/QUOTE]

I basically agree with everything this guy says.

[quote name='AshesofWake']no i just made it up one day, all my friends hate me whenever i say it :rofl:[/QUOTE]

You don't really think you made up chillax, do you?

[quote name='yukine']I'd probably fall asleep listening to the CAGcast if Wombat wasn't on the show, Wombat at least has the balls to say things that conflict with a lot of our opinions, hence the reason why he is so despised.
.[/quote]

That is why he is the Luke Smith of the Cagcast again you either Love him or Hate him. I guess almost like Howard Stern as well........

Wombat - you keep rockin' it your own way, lil' shaver. Just look at all the Diggs and the Libsyn stats each week. People are listening, and it's the majority that likes what you do. It wouldn't be the intarwebs if the complainers weren't shouting down the tubes.

Well, to put in an opinion from the opposite end of the spectrum, I think Wombat is great. Like someone said a few posts ago, he actually has the balls to call out problems in the gaming industry. He also has a sense of humor, which if you've ever tried to listen to the Joystiq podcast, you'd be thankful for. Nothing personal against C. Grant or Ludwig, but they're just so incredibly boring.

I've been a CAGcast listener since day 1 as well, and I gotta say, I think it just keeps getting better and better, especially recently.

I'll listen again once J Mac get's another guest appearance. All the nerds here hated on him for making fun of TESO and FFXI. I thought it was great.

[quote name='yukine']Cheapy is the highlight of the show, but he plays it too safe. I'd probably fall asleep listening to the CAGcast if Wombat wasn't on the show, Wombat at least has the balls to say things that conflict with a lot of our opinions, hence the reason why he is so despised.

If it wasn't for Wombat, all we would hear about is what new ridiculously expensive toy Cheapy bought that day, and the like. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, blackface jokes are very safe.
But anyways, Wombat needs to work less, read more gaming news and play more.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Well, to put in an opinion from the opposite end of the spectrum, I think Wombat is great. Like someone said a few posts ago, he actually has the balls to call out problems in the gaming industry. He also has a sense of humor, which if you've ever tried to listen to the Joystiq podcast, you'd be thankful for. Nothing personal against C. Grant or Ludwig, but they're just so incredibly boring.

I've been a CAGcast listener since day 1 as well, and I gotta say, I think it just keeps getting better and better, especially recently.[/quote]
QFT.
I definitely agree. CheapyD's and Wombat's personalities perfectly compliment each other to form a great duo.
Now, if either were alone, it would be endless babble and horribly boring.
Keep doing what you guys are doing, the show is the best.

i luv wombat, i dont care what anybody says. the show wouldnt be the same without him. he might not have as much time to play or research games as cheapy, but he obviously does whenever he has the chance.

keep up the good work wombat! :applause:

[quote name='thorbahn3']Yes, blackface jokes are very safe.
But anyways, Wombat needs to work less, read more gaming news and play more.[/quote]

That was the exception, my point is he typically isn't the "shock jock" like Wombat is.

And anyway, only a few people complained and that was the end of that. It didn't turn into an Imus controversy. :lol:

[quote name='thorbahn3']
But anyways, Wombat needs to work less, read more gaming news and play more.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

Unlike most posters in this topic, I've actually grown to like Wombat on the podcasts more and more, when I first started listening to them I found Wombat to not be very funny and kind of annoying to be honest, but lately (at least right before the new job) I thought he had really improved and come into his own on the show. I really like the way Cheapy does the show and I think Wombat provides a very nice contrast to Cheapy's style. My only complaint is lately it seems like Wombat is just too busy to play many games and to really keep up on the industry and it is starting to show a little bit.

That's really my only complaint about Wombat and I hope that once he gets into more of a groove with the whole work thing that he will have more time to focus on gaming and gaming discussions.

I can't let this thread keep going without saying something..since I am married to the man..

For the last year and change.. Wombat has been going through alot. Between changing from one crappy job to another he had a very hard time finding his own voice in life and on the pod cast. With his current job I can honestly say ...as his wife.. that he has finally found something that he can enjoy and really wrap his head around. Now I dont know how many of you CAGs are actually out of school and in the "real world".. but those of you that are I think can understand what it is like to have a job you either love or hate. When you hate what you are doing it sometimes can bleed over into your personal life and therefore can effect the way you are perceived by others. So for a while the CAGcast suffered. But I can honestly say that currently, he has been excited and working his tail off for the CAGcast. He just has a new vitality for making the CAGcast better.. He has been making phonecalls all over the place trying to get good interviews in place that would excite the CAG community. Wombat was the one who reached out to Michael Pachter and I think he was more shocked than anyone when he returned his call. So, yes, his new job may have caused him to spend less time playing VGs (although I can say his weekends are quickly becoming catch up time for him) but it has also been the reason he has become so passionate in the CAGcasts. Love him or hate him.. he has opinions.. you dont have to agree with him (I surely don't..) but at least he is making you feel something.. I give him "kudos" for that.. But he is listening.. and he definitely doesnt want to bring the CAGcast down.. so give him criticism that he can actually work with..don't be cruel.. he is only a man.. thanks for hearing me out..

That was a nice informative post Mrs. Wombat. I think every podcast needs a person like Wombat, someone who isn't afraid to step on some toes and say what he thinks. However, I do think that a little change to the cagcast formula would be a good thing. I propose adding a third member to the cagcast team. This could either be someone close the Cheapy and Wombat that works on the cag site or it could be someone that has some personal experience within the gaming industry itself. I think you guys should consider giving this 3 man approach a shot, even if just for a week or two. I think this could really give the show a shot of adrenaline.

[quote name='mrswombat']I can't let this thread keep going without saying something..since I am married to the man..

For the last year and change.. Wombat has been going through alot. Between changing from one crappy job to another he had a very hard time finding his own voice in life and on the pod cast. With his current job I can honestly say ...as his wife.. that he has finally found something that he can enjoy and really wrap his head around. Now I dont know how many of you CAGs are actually out of school and in the "real world".. but those of you that are I think can understand what it is like to have a job you either love or hate. When you hate what you are doing it sometimes can bleed over into your personal life and therefore can effect the way you are perceived by others. So for a while the CAGcast suffered. But I can honestly say that currently, he has been excited and working his tail off for the CAGcast. He just has a new vitality for making the CAGcast better.. He has been making phonecalls all over the place trying to get good interviews in place that would excite the CAG community. Wombat was the one who reached out to Michael Pachter and I think he was more shocked than anyone when he returned his call. So, yes, his new job may have caused him to spend less time playing VGs (although I can say his weekends are quickly becoming catch up time for him) but it has also been the reason he has become so passionate in the CAGcasts. Love him or hate him.. he has opinions.. you dont have to agree with him (I surely don't..) but at least he is making you feel something.. I give him "kudos" for that.. But he is listening.. and he definitely doesnt want to bring the CAGcast down.. so give him criticism that he can actually work with..don't be cruel.. he is only a man.. thanks for hearing me out..[/QUOTE]

Awww, Mrs. Wombat coming to Wombat's rescue, how cute! :)) If I didn't know this was his wife I would have thought it was his mother! I almost expected to read "Wombat is turning from a boy into a man!" "He's emotionally distressed! "He's marginalized and disenfranchised, so lay off!" This has to be a joke post. Talk about embarrassing.

Wombat's annoying, and needs to be a little more professional, but I still like the CheapyD/Wombat combo. Don't change a thing, I'm still listening.

Reading Wombat's wife’s post, I felt I had to respond.

My (or should I say “our”) problem with wombat isn’t a case of him not pulling his weight. I’m sure that behind the scenes, he is very active setting up source material and what not for the Cagcast. But my problem with wombat is the simple fact that I and many others find him just a very irritating and annoying person to listen to and he simply lacks the professionalism Cheapy requires for the Cagcast to reach it's full parental.

The Cagcast is an excellent podcast and to some extent I do enjoy wombat's rants sometimes, i do think he is quite a funny guy. But when compared to other podcasts such as Uncle gamer and The videogame outsiders, it simple isn’t in the same league and I’m afraid to say it’s mainly due to wombat’s personality. Nothing more, noting less.

[quote name='Hex Blade']Reading Wombat's wife’s post, I felt I had to respond.

My (or should I say “our”) problem with wombat isn’t a case of him not pulling his weight. I’m sure that behind the scenes, he is very active setting up source material and what not for the Cagcast. But my problem with wombat is the simple fact that I and many others find him just a very irritating and annoying person to listen to and he simply lacks the professionalism Cheapy requires for the Cagcast to reach it's full parental.

The Cagcast is an excellent podcast and to some extent I do enjoy wombat's rants sometimes, i do think he is quite a funny guy. But when compared to other podcasts such as Uncle gamer and The videogame outsiders, it simple isn’t in the same league and I’m afraid to say it’s mainly due to wombat’s personality. Nothing more, noting less.
[/QUOTE]

So basically your whole point has been you just don't like wombat. I don't get it, Both of them tell sophomoric jokes all time. And whats the difference between in their professionalism when Cheapy has spoke about people eating poo and Wombats lack of masturbation (even badgering him on this one). This is the Joy of the CAGcast it's not 100% professional its 2 guys talking about Games the same kind of conversations I have with friends.

Well...

I listened to the FIRST one and then never again.. Maybe i will listen to cagcast 60 whatever on Wednesday after all and see what all the drama is about!

[quote name='Snake2715']Well...

I listened to the FIRST one and then never again.. Maybe i will listen to cagcast 60 whatever on Wednesday after all and see what all the drama is about![/quote]

Do it. Cheapy and Wombat have improved significantly since then.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']So basically your whole point has been you just don't like wombat. I don't get it, Both of them tell sophomoric jokes all time. And whats the difference between in their professionalism when Cheapy has spoke about people eating poo and Wombats lack of masturbation (even badgering him on this one). This is the Joy of the CAGcast it's not 100% professional its 2 guys talking about Games the same kind of conversations I have with friends.[/quote]

My whole point is that i feel wombat is'nt a suitable co host for the Cagcast if Cheapy wants it to reach it’s full potential, regardless of the fact that i like him or not. You may find this a surprise to hear but i do infact quite like wombat, he is an Oblivion fan afterall...so he's not all that bad ;)

[quote name='Hex Blade']My whole point is that i feel wombat is'nt a suitable co host for the Cagcast if Cheapy wants it to reach it’s full potential, regardless of the fact that i like him or not. You may find this a surprise to hear but i do infact quite like wombat, he is an Oblivion fan afterall...so he's not all that bad ;)
[/quote]

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it but dont go trying to make everyone else think along your same lines. I have listened to the Cagcast since the beginning and Wombat does an awesome job, keep it up man. Dont let these bitchy ass people get you down.

I wouldn't like the CAGCast as much if it was just CheapyD himself. It would definitely get boring after a while listening to the same guy, even though Cheapy does have a good radio voice and mentality.

Professional? That would probably make the show really boring. I enjoy the relaxed, laid back environment of the show and I can't imagine it any different.

I rather enjoy Wombat's badinage because I think its funny and I also think it makes Cheapy more laid back. While I do disagree with some of Wombat's thoughts, at least someone is brave enough to go out on a limb.

I think this show has come a long way since the beginning and I think it will just keep getting better with time. Cheapy and Wombat -- just keep doing what you do.

Who would Cheapy fool into watching meatspin if wombat weren't around?

I don't want a "professional" show. Shit, its not like they're getting paid for this. The interviews have been a great addition, but what I come back for every week is two regular (and different from each other)guys joke around about my favorite hobby.

[quote name='Hex Blade']My whole point is that i feel wombat is'nt a suitable co host for the Cagcast if Cheapy wants it to reach it’s full potential, regardless of the fact that i like him or not. You may find this a surprise to hear but i do infact quite like wombat, he is an Oblivion fan afterall...so he's not all that bad ;)
[/QUOTE]

Then who is you? You have made 8 post 4 of them have been giving Wombat crap and one was on his wifes thread.

[quote name='Hex Blade']Just one question for Mrs Wombat…

how do you put up with Wombat? I only have to listen to him for 1 hour a week and that’s enough.
[/QUOTE]

You are entitled to your opinion it's yours but it almost seems like you started posting on CAG just to belittle Wombat. It would be one thing if your criticisms were just creative ones and you were critiquing him but it seems personal. And your argument of not giving a crap didn't hold up so you changed to he's not professional and annoying. That didn't hold up because well they both are less than professional (And I like it that way keep it up guys) then you say that you like his rants sometimes and that he's "quite a funny guy" . So I still do understand your point, Do you want to be the CAGcast sidekick? Whats your deal? But I should stop now because it's starting to seem like I'm kissing up to the man.

[quote name='Wombat']well, hmmm Thanks for the critisism, honestly, I mean you guys still listen so I guess the ball is in my court to be less annoying. For the record I am always interested and listening, but I will admit that there are times that the connection sucks and I have no idea what cheapy just said to me, and vice versa. But regardless I don't want to be the one to "drag the show down". Personally I think I am doing a good job and one thing we need to start doing is highlighting more of the games we are currently playing. Because we are playing more than you think, I guess I always assumed that no one cared that played God Of War 2 for 8 hours on sunday.[/QUOTE]

I, personally, love what you do for the podcast Wombat. I just can't imagine the CAGcast being 90 minutes of "professional video game coverage". Bring on the perversion and immaturity! Don't listen to this 9 post CAG.

I like Wombat and Cheapy as a team. "Professional" - it's a *games* podcast! I third the opinion that it just sounds like 2 guys having fun and sharing their opinions. It's something I can put on in the background and just listen to occassionally. That's just what I want.

BTW, that interview a couple CAGcasts ago was good. Cheers.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm telling you. JimmieMac and CheapyD as a CAGcast Tag Team would rule all.[/QUOTE]

And it would pretty much ensure that I'd never listen to the CAGcast again, unless I wanted to hear jokes about my mom for an hour and a half.

bread's done
Back