Half-Life 2 purchase options revealed

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
From every fking HL2 site out there:

"The Half-Life 2 offers have been finalized. Details are pasted below. The Steam offers will be available for purchase next week. Those who purchase via Steam, will receive the final version of Counter-Strike: Source immediately. Half-Life 2 and other games in the Steam offerings will be made available to purchasers upon their release."

Retail Boxes
Standard Edition - includes HL2 and CS:Source. Ships on six CDs, in one of three box-art packages (Gordon, Alyx or the G-Man).

Collector's Edition — includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirt and a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD.

Steam Packages
Bronze - HL2* and CS:Source.

Silver - HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam.

Gold - HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, 3 different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

*To be made available upon product's release.

It's disturbing to look at HL2 sites and seeing guys saying crap like "that gold version on Steam looks mouth watering"...how big of a fucking loser can you be? "Oh god, I NEED THOSE THREE HL2 POSTERS AND THAT POSTCARD AND HAT!" Nice contest - who the hell wants to go meet some fat guys sitting around in front of computers? If I want to do that, I'll go to a cybercafe.

You can tell Valve is pissed at Vivendi because the retail packages are, at least at the moment, looking pathetic by comparison. Since all of the drooling Valve fanboys are blind to seeing both sides of the issue, the reaction is often "HA HA SERVES VU RIGHT."

Whatever. I'm sort of torn here - Steam still sucks and I want a copy on disc, but what also sucks is the fact that the only way I can get HL2 on DVD is by buying their uber-nerd Collector's Edition that comes with a t-shirt that won't fit since I'm like 6'7, a book that I couldn't care less about, and a half-assed remix of HL1 that I have no interest in.

I'll probably just end up waiting a few months, at which point they'll probably release a regular edition version on DVD just to piss off the people who bought it immediately. Valve needs to take a lesson from Epic when it comes to Special Editions....at least the UT2004 Limited and Special editions came with stuff you'd actually have a use for.

I guess all that's left is waiting for the prices. Anyone care to start placing bets if the Gold version on Steam will be over 100 bucks?

[quote name='meister']I'd keep my emotions in check - that's for the under 6'7" dorks...[/quote]

Still ain't gonna work...I'd wager most HL2 players are either weak little kids or overweight PC-addicted slugs.

"One size fits all" is never a good idea. It should just be a mail-in voucher for 3 different sizes or something.

[quote name='KaneRobot'][quote name='meister']I'd keep my emotions in check - that's for the under 6'7" dorks...[/quote]

Still ain't gonna work...I'd wager most HL2 players are either weak little kids or overweight PC-addicted slugs.

"One size fits all" is never a good idea. It should just be a mail-in voucher for 3 different sizes or something.[/quote]

Even if they did that what makes you think they'd have an option for a "ginormous freak" size?

what annoys me is that I just want the games. But they make that nearly impossible. Say I want to go and buy Half Life in stores. I gotta get the collectors edition with all it's crap to get the updated version of the orifginal Half Life.

Then, the only way to get Everything is through steam! That's the Silver option. Like 90% of shoppers, i prefer to get the retail package and not the online package. People say they're exactly the same but they are not. I like having Cd's, a case, and a manual in my hand. I would only consider a steam package if it was at a greatly reduced rate. say 30% or more off.

I don't need a T-shirt. I don't need a music CD. I don't need the trip to Valve. I understand some people want these and that's fine. But I don't need them, I just want the games.

Hopefully I can purchase the plain retail package and update the other software for a small fee. One that's cheaper than buying the collectors or medal editions. And the fact that the regular edition has 6 CD's is annoying. Further, the Collectors Edition listing is correct it still does not include Day of Defeat and the other original Half Life titles. What kind of collectors edition is that?

Whats so bad about the online edition? You still get to play the same game, and thats all that really matters (to me at least). I dont want to pay $50+ for some crap i dont need with the retail collectors edition, so i pay $50- for the online, its that simple, same game and everything.

[quote name='Flashmonkey']Whats so bad about the online edition? You still get to play the same game, and thats all that really matters (to me at least). I dont want to pay $50+ for some crap i dont need with the retail collectors edition, so i pay $50- for the online, its that simple, same game and everything.[/quote]

There's just something about purchasing a game and not being able to hold it in your hands that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Having a physical copy is like a guarantee to us.

I too like to have something tactile in my hands. Plus, if it's the same price, then why not get the retail box version? Unless you simply must have it the moment it is available. I for one don't mind waiting to have a box copy and having to install it, even if that means I'll be playing it a day later than everyone else.

You can resell the retail copy after you finish it in 15 hours (if you are not interested in multiplayer that is).

[quote name='Flashmonkey']Whats so bad about the online edition? You still get to play the same game, and thats all that really matters (to me at least). I dont want to pay $50+ for some crap i dont need with the retail collectors edition, so i pay $50- for the online, its that simple, same game and everything.[/quote]

The difference with the online version is that there's no trade-in value. No way to trade the games for other releases in the forums here. And what happens if your hard drive crashes or you get a nasty virus that deletes/corrupts many of your system's programs, or you just need a new computer for Half Life 3? Well guess what bucko, unless you are religious about copying and organizing all of your "game product codes" to paper, you get to pay for Half Life 2 all over again (thats assuming they let you download the code more then once as long as you know your secret code).
It's a way to discreetly kill the used games market. It gives the supplier a stranglehold on the market. And this is always bad for the consumer (IE you and me, the cheap ass gamer :D )

[quote name='Quackzilla']So far retail is the only way you can get a tshirt, so I guess Vivendi negotiated for the uber-nerd market segment.[/quote]

Quote:

Gold - HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, 3 different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

The Gold Steam package seems to be the nerdiest to me.

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='Flashmonkey']Whats so bad about the online edition? You still get to play the same game, and thats all that really matters (to me at least). I dont want to pay $50+ for some crap i dont need with the retail collectors edition, so i pay $50- for the online, its that simple, same game and everything.[/quote]

The difference with the online version is that there's no trade-in value. No way to trade the games for other releases in the forums here. And what happens if your hard drive crashes or you get a nasty virus that deletes/corrupts many of your system's programs, or you just need a new computer for Half Life 3? Well guess what bucko, unless you are religious about copying and organizing all of your "game product codes" to paper, you get to pay for Half Life 2 all over again (thats assuming they let you download the code more then once as long as you know your secret code).
It's a way to discreetly kill the used games market. It gives the supplier a stranglehold on the market. And this is always bad for the consumer (IE you and me, the cheap ass gamer :D )[/quote]

Great point, that made me change my mind to buying the hard copy of the game.

What the?!? That's the most anemic "Collector's Edition" I've seen and for a big game, too. Step up to the plate and give the retail a little more.

If Valve really wanted to do some good they'd cut out the 6 CD release of it. I mean, seriously, who buys the processor and video card for the game but doesn't spend little bit extra to get a DVD drive?

You do not need to copy any codes down. There are registered to your Steam account. If you reformat or buy a new computer, all you have to do is download the Steam installer off the internet and enter your EMAIL ADDRESS and PASSWORD, it will then aquire your steamID and DOWNLOAD EVERY GAME THAT YOU HAVE EVER BOUGHT OR REGISTERED WITH THAT ACCOUNT!

I hate fucking idiots who keep saying stuff when they don't even know what the fuck they are talking about.

Yes, I mean camoor, the above poster who made a bullshit post saying you need to memorize all of your product IDs and registration codes or you will have to buy everything again.
HE IS A fuckING LIAR!

Here is what the little bitch posted:

[quote name='camoor']

It's a way to discreetly kill the used games market. It gives the supplier a stranglehold on the market. And this is always bad for the consumer (IE you and me, the cheap ass gamer :D )[/quote]

Hmm, the HL2 soundtrack and DoD:Source sound pretty cool, but otherwise it sounds like the Gold package is kinda disapointing. I'll probably get the Collector's Edition for HL1 source, since I'd prefer a physical copy of the game (not to mention there's no way in hell I'm going to download all that over 56k). What are the prices on the Steam versions going to be? I know HL2 regular box retails for $50 and the Collector's Edition for $80, but I'm just wondering how the Steam install rates are going to compare.

[quote name='Quackzilla']You do not need to copy any codes down. There are registered to your Steam account. If you reformat or buy a new computer, all you have to do is download the Steam installer off the internet and enter your EMAIL ADDRESS and PASSWORD, it will then aquire your steamID and DOWNLOAD EVERY GAME THAT YOU HAVE EVER BOUGHT OR REGISTERED WITH THAT ACCOUNT!

Yes, I mean camoor, the above poster who made a bullshit post saying you need to memorize all of your product IDs and registration codes or you will have to buy everything again.
HE IS A shaq-fuing LIAR![/quote]

You know, there is a nice way to say something, and then the way you just used. You're right, some people don't know what the fuck they're talking about. So simply correct them and move on. Take that aggressive nonsense back to the VS board.

[quote name='camoor']And what happens if your hard drive crashes or you get a nasty virus that deletes/corrupts many of your system's programs, or you just need a new computer for Half Life 3? Well guess what bucko, unless you are religious about copying and organizing all of your "game product codes" to paper, you get to pay for Half Life 2 all over again (thats assuming they let you download the code more then once as long as you know your secret code). [/quote]

Erm, for one that's not true (you can redownload the program without remembering any extra codes, it's all tied to your Steam account), and secondly physical copies are even more prone to loss. What happens if your friend steals even one of your discs? Or what if your discs get scratched? Or what if the case with the CD key gets lost? Or what if you moved and forgot your copy of HL2 at home? With the Steam install, none of these problems exist: you can play Half-life 2 from ANY computer in the world as long as it has Internet Access. In fact, you can play any Valve game you want on a friend's computer without ever worrying about CDs (assuming they have a fast internet connection).

Edit: oh, beaten to it...guess I need to type faster.

[quote name='Quackzilla']My theory is if you are mean to idiots they will shut up and go away until they get smart.[/quote]

As much as I don't want it to be, your theory is flawed. :lol:

......Why is everyone so angry? If you don't want the free t-shirt, give it to some homeless dude or something.
I for one would buy it if it came with a bag of cat shit, just so I can play the damn game already!

I for one will be buying the Collector's edition on day one (whenever the hell that is......).

Half Life 2! WHEEEEEE!

[quote name='Quackzilla']You do not need to copy any codes down. There are registered to your Steam account. If you reformat or buy a new computer, all you have to do is download the Steam installer off the internet and enter your EMAIL ADDRESS and PASSWORD, it will then aquire your steamID and DOWNLOAD EVERY GAME THAT YOU HAVE EVER BOUGHT OR REGISTERED WITH THAT ACCOUNT!

I hate shaq-fuing idiots who keep saying stuff when they don't even know what the shaq-fu they are talking about.

HE IS A shaq-fuing LIAR!

Here is what the little bitch posted:

[quote name='camoor']

It's a way to discreetly kill the used games market. It gives the supplier a stranglehold on the market. And this is always bad for the consumer (IE you and me, the cheap ass gamer :D )[/quote][/quote]

Ignoring your rudeness, the only part I was incorrect about was the information required to download your previous games - substitute "password" for "game product codes" and my post still stands.

And as to the second paragraph, please explain how I am supposed to trade my downloaded game. Someone tried this as an experiment on ebay and the auction was shut down.

Consumer freedom drives capitalism. It drives prices down and gives us more say in the entertainment market. I see this move as negatively affecting that freedom.

Few stores will even take used games, and even then they won't give you very much for them (EB only gives around $20 for a recently released PC game). Not to mention anyone who buys a pre-owned game that can go online is always taking a risk, since the CD-key has already been used.

Oh, and unless I'm mistaken you can still sell off your Steam account. It's not like you don't have SOMETHING you can sell after you purchase all these games (and of course you can give a friend your account name and password and they'll have full access to your games, although you obviously couldn't play the game at the same time as them). Although why anyone would want to sell a game like Half-life 2 is beyond me, I'm still playing Half-life 1 mods and I've had that game for 5 years now.

[quote name='Flashmonkey'][quote name='camoor'][quote name='Flashmonkey']Whats so bad about the online edition? You still get to play the same game, and thats all that really matters (to me at least). I dont want to pay $50+ for some crap i dont need with the retail collectors edition, so i pay $50- for the online, its that simple, same game and everything.[/quote]

Great point, that made me change my mind to buying the hard copy of the game.[/quote]

Thanks, it's always great to see that by expressing our opinions (and more importantly our dollar) we can have an actual effect on the real world.

I think camoor has some points.

I remember a couple years ago when steam first started I signed up and used a CD code from Half Life. I went away from it for about a year. Later, I bought my new compueter and tried to hook up to steam. It wouldn't take my codes. Partially because I couldn't remember my login/password combo from two years ago.

Anyway, I sent emails and after two weeks they still hadn't straightened things out. Luckily I had another code lying about and I used that. But if it wasn't for my hardcopy of the codes, I would have been screwed.

Now of course you can chide me for losing my account even though it had been a little over a year since I used it. But the point is that without the hardcopy's I would have had to buy a whole new package if I had just downloaded online.

Finally, if you buy the retail version, you get the Benefits of All worlds. You get all the beenfits of steam PLUS all the benefits of having a physical copy in your hands. I'd only take Steam if it was radically discounted. And I don't think that's going to happen. Steam will probably be more expensive that you'll be able to find retail versions since it won't be subject to sales.

I would much rather have the physical copy too. Plus, in six years you can just install it and play it again, instead of having to worry about steam. I really want HL: Source and HL2. Thats it. They are trying to do too much, with the t shirt, book, etc. Its ridiculous. I don't want to pay $80 bucks for an old game and all that other crap. ARGH!!

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Oh. According to Gamespot the special edition will be Eighty Bucks!!!

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=645921[/quote]

It was confirmed at $80 a while back. I just hope that isn't the packaging. This is what the packaging was meant to be at one point:

hl2-collector.jpg

Perhaps this is inside the case. I hope so, because it looks a thousand times cooler than the "new" packaging.

But once you put all that info in Steam don't you get the same types of benefits for retail versions as well? I mean, once i register my CD code on steam do I ever need to enter it again?

regisphilbi0 Posted: September 29, 2004, 3:44 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would much rather have the physical copy too. Plus, in six years you can just install it and play it again, instead of having to worry about steam. I really want HL: Source and HL2. Thats it. They are trying to do too much, with the t shirt, book, etc. Its ridiculous. I don't want to pay $80 bucks for an old game and all that other crap. ARGH!!

Admiral Ackbar Posted: September 29, 2004, 2:48 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh. According to Gamespot the special edition will be Eighty Bucks!!!

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=645921

The Steam Bronze better be a HELL of a lot cheaper.

I dunno, $80 is a lot, but u get twice as much stuff. I think im may go with the steam bronze, just to get the game right away and start playing, and then get hl:source a little later when the prices have gone down.

Im not getting a dvd rom for a simple game. Ive already gotten ut 2k4 on 6 cds. So whats the big deal? Takes a tiny bit longer to install.

No point getting all worked up on something as insignificant as that.

Deals arent too bad either. SOme nice packages to make up for how long weve been waiting for the bloody game. So, justifiable.

And steam isnt bad. Ive been using it for over a year..and its none other than a revamped format of the original online play system, with faster loading times-and some useful features.. SOOOOO...whats the big deal?

As it stands, I'm getting Steam Gold version. I was getting the Collectors Edition retail box, but those goodies are too good to pass up. I'll admit i'm a geek and all, but the hat and posters and all is great for someone who's favorite game of all time is the original Half Life.

I have had my issues with Steam. As much as I want DOD source, Im betting we can get it for free having the retail version, so Ill just get the collectors edition (I actually want the Tshirt, and hl source sounds so ***ing awesome) and pay the $80. That is, if i can get the money... *is poor and in high school*

[quote name='camoor']
Ignoring your rudeness, the only part I was incorrect about was the information required to download your previous games - substitute "password" for "game product codes" and my post still stands.[/quote]

Except a game product code is 16-24 characters long, and you will have many of them, and a password is 8 characters long and you only have one.

[quote name='camoor']
And as to the second paragraph, please explain how I am supposed to trade my downloaded game. Someone tried this as an experiment on ebay and the auction was shut down.

Consumer freedom drives capitalism. It drives prices down and gives us more say in the entertainment market. I see this move as negatively affecting that freedom.[/quote]

The games themselves won't have resale value, but the accounts they are tied to will. You can sell a loaded Steam account on ebay.

You just can't sell it to retailers, who aren't supposed to take used PC games anyway.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='camoor']
Ignoring your rudeness, the only part I was incorrect about was the information required to download your previous games - substitute "password" for "game product codes" and my post still stands.[/quote]

Except a game product code is 16-24 characters long, and you will have many of them, and a password is 8 characters long and you only have one.
[/quote]

However I don't have only one password. At the time I'm writing this, I have at least 20. And I'll probably need to change/acquire a few new ones before the end of the year. Much easier to forget a password then to lose a physical CD. (of course most ppl aren't thinking about a year down the road when they buy...)

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='camoor']

Consumer freedom drives capitalism. It drives prices down and gives us more say in the entertainment market. I see this move as negatively affecting that freedom.[/quote]

The games themselves won't have resale value, but the accounts they are tied to will. You can sell a loaded Steam account on ebay.

You just can't sell it to retailers, who aren't supposed to take used PC games anyway.[/quote]

Well it's cool that they let you sell the game, but I still think it's an underhanded way to slowly gain more control over consumer behavior.

1. I can't sell the game individually.
2. I can sell the account, but with restrictions. I must sell the whole account including all games inside of it.

OK - so lets say I have HL1 and HL2 and a few other games in my account. I can sell HL1, but only if I sell HL2 (which I just got - so that's unlikely). Even if I do this, I need to put it up on ebay against a dude selling/trading an easily installable CD that he does not have to bundle with every other game that he's purchased on Steam.

However if you are the type of gamer who buys a PC game with no intention of eventually selling/trading it, then as long as you remember your password, I think this is a good deal. Just giving something to think about to my trading buddies. :)

You do realise that with most preowned sales someone will use the key and sell the disk, don't you?

Well with Steam you can't just pass off the disk, because the keys are registered to that one account and can't be re-used, so you won't be posting whiny complaints about valve ripping you off because the CD key won't work.

You are one of those pigheaded losers that will fight any sort of progress every step of the way.

[quote name='Quackzilla']You do realise that with most preowned sales someone will use the key and sell the disk, don't you?

Well with Steam you can't just pass off the disk, because the keys are registered to that one account and can't be re-used, so you won't be posting whiny complaints about valve ripping you off because the CD key won't work.

You are one of those pigheaded losers that will fight any sort of progress every step of the way.[/quote]

OK 3 points:
1. I think PC games in general are screwed up because of this CD key DRM, but in trading PC games I have never gotten burned by the dude I'm trading with (*knock on wood*).

2. I think what you inferring is that I am a Luddite. Well dude, I actually work in tech and believe in capitalism - and what makes capitalism work is informed consumers making decisions that benefit them. I believe that with the current setup, the CD has a much higher value then the download for the consumer, and I'm just expressing my opinion and the reasons thereof. If the Valve company offered a true discount on the download or gave me some *compelling* reason to get it, I might change my mind.

3. FYI I believe in technology, and as an example I also think the RIAA is going the wrong way by trying to sue any P2P technology out of existence (google the Induce act if you don't believe me). I fight for my rights and admit when I miss a few facts. I think you need to look in the mirror before using the term "...pigheaded losers that will fight any sort of progress..."

I dont like having to install on 6 CDs, but I dont know if I want to pay $80 for the collectors edition. Im not that big of a Half Life fan.

2. I think what you inferring is that I am a Luddite. Well dude, I actually work in tech and believe in capitalism - and what makes capitalism work is informed consumers making decisions that benefit them. I believe that with the current setup, the CD has a much higher value then the download for the consumer, and I'm just expressing my opinion and the reasons thereof. If the Valve company offered a true discount on the download or gave me some *compelling* reason to get it, I might change my mind.

Sony did this with their expansions for EQ. It was cheaper when downloading from them but when you buy it at retail, it came with extra stuff like a cloth map, figurine and special in-game item as well.

This was a slap in the face to VU(and consumers) by Valve. I don't know how much the Gold version from Steam costs but the Collector's edition from VU sure as hell doesn't worth $80. They should've also made a DVD version like how *The Sims 2* have both versions for the same price.

[quote name='gokou36']

Sony did this with their expansions for EQ. It was cheaper when downloading from them but when you buy it at retail, it came with extra stuff like a cloth map, figurine and special in-game item as well.

This was a slap in the face to VU(and consumers) by Valve. I don't know how much the Gold version from Steam costs but the Collector's edition from VU sure as hell doesn't worth $80. They should've also made a DVD version like how *The Sims 2* have both versions for the same price.[/quote]
I wish all games had a DVD version like the Sims 2 and UT2k4. People need to buy DVD Rom drives.

I would really like Half-Life 2. I just picked up a copy of PC Gamer which has a review of it (although haven't read it yet.) Anyways, like all other HL fans, I've been waiting for this game what seems like forever.

Now my opinion on the different packages. I don't think I'll be getting a Steam Package but the SIlver looks pretty good (dependent on price.) I would like the Collector's edition, for the DVD alone, but $80 is a bit pricey. I think I'll just stick with the Standard Retail Box. As long as I can download DOD: Source for free and somehow get hold of a copy of HL1:Source. For $35, not bad.

But 6 CDs? Come on people! It's the end of 2004. How many people (especially gamers) don't have DVD-ROM drives? I infact have a DVD-ROM and a DVD burner. As Kaijufan stated, they should have a DVD edition like Sims2 and UT2k4 (although I got the 6 CD version of UT2k4 like 3 weeks before they did a WIDE release of the standard DVD edition). They should also make it the same price too. Shaq-Fu'ing Vivendi.

I think i'm just going to get the standard edition. 80 dollars is a lot, and I wear M & L so the t-shirt wouldn't fit me. HL Source is basically just HL it wasnt improved much according to the PC gamer review. So getting the standard edition which contains CS source and HL2 is all I need.

bread's done
Back