Hello from Afghanistan!

scrapple

CAGiversary!
CheapyD and Wombat,

Just wanted to thank you guys for creating such a great podcast. This is my second deployment overseas to support the troops (I am a UAV pilot, non military contractor). The first time around was Iraq, which wasn't to bad except for being mortared every other day (I was stationed at LSA Anaconda, Balad, which has some nice amenities like a movie theater and swimming pool). This time around we are in a Sh*thole firebase in Afghanistan. I wont go into details, but its pretty bad here. Anyways, to keep my sanity out here, I update my podcasts on Itunes once a week and smile when I see a new CAGCAST coming down the pipe. Anything that reminds me of home and lets me forget about the madness out here is good. I also have my 360 and DS out here and those help out as well.

I also wanted to let you know that I believe I might be the father of video game deal websites. I ran a website back in the day (check out wayback machine ) called segasearch.com where I would basically post a ton of dreamcast deals. I made a crapload of money from peeps buying a system from sites like 800.com and whatshotnow.com ($30 a dreamcast sale commission was nice!). Eventually I got married and stopped updating the site. Those were the good ol days of the early internet. Lets just say I pooped away some money I made on IPO failures and other crap. I still have my super chexx bubble hockey machine though from the money I made... =)

Anyways, keep up the awesome podcast work!

Good job out there in Afganistan. I hope you come back safely. UAV pilot must be a kick-ass job for a video game player. Flying that expensive sometimes armed radio controlled plane must be the shit! CheapyD you should send this guy a prize just for being a Gamer At War.

CheapyD and Wombat,

Thanks for the mention in the latest CagCast!! You made my day!

If you guys ever have a CAGBASH in New York, you can count me in on being

in attendance... that is once I get back to the states (I live in Philly, so a trip up is no problemo).

Make sure the bar has a super chexx machine so I can woop up on you guys.

[quote name='Jackal888']Good job out there in Afganistan. I hope you come back safely. UAV pilot must be a kick-ass job for a video game player. Flying that expensive sometimes armed radio controlled plane must be the shit! CheapyD you should send this guy a prize just for being a Gamer At War.[/QUOTE]
War is not a game. :(

Good luck scrapple. Hope you get back here safely.

Thanks for getting paid about 4 times the amount as Soldiers doing the same job as you do. Not that it is your fault........i just don't get how the government doesn't see how crappy the pay is compared to you guys.

[quote name='torifile']War is not a game. :(

Good luck scrapple. Hope you get back here safely.[/quote]

War is not a game, I agree. His job is a job where playing a video game can actaully help your experience. You are piloting a UAV, watching a screen and remote commanding a plane, identifying targets and sometimes engaging. That is a Gamer At War.

For those congratulating him for serving his country you all seem to have missed the important phrase here:

Independent contractor.

[quote name='PyroGamer']For those congratulating him for serving his country you all seem to have missed the important phrase here:

Independent contractor.

I don't care how miserable the conditions are, why would I be sympathetic to an Independent contractor???[/quote]

Then why bother telling him other than trying to come off as a badass?

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Then why bother telling him other than trying to come off as a badass?[/QUOTE]
edit: nvm, don't want to threadcrap any more than I have already. Just wanted to make it clear he's not serving in the US Army. Those who want to learn more about PMCs should, but I shouldn't threadcrap it in this thread.

[quote name='PyroGamer']For those congratulating him for serving his country you all seem to have missed the important phrase here:

Independent contractor.[/quote]

Thank you! This means "MOST OF THE TIME" these guys don't leave the safe zones and get paid about 4 times as much as us ordinary Soldiers do.
Although what you do is cool, the same job exists in the Army.
I'm not saying that what he does is wrong, but in my opinion the only reason people go to Iraq or Afghanistan as civilians is for the money. It is ridiculous that some contractors make 4 times the freaking amount most Soldiers do for doing equal or lesser jobs there.

bread's done
Back