So what's the deal with Plasma? and Go Sharks!

VipFREAK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
So yeah... I had no idea where to place this but anyway, like the title says, Plasma or no Plasma? I've heard bad and good things but I'm just confused now. What do you guys think about Plasma?

Back when it was either super huge CRTs that didn't do 720p, LCDs and plasma I preferred plasma by far. Even with its shortcomings (losing brightness, some black level issues till like the 3rd generation, etc) I still preferred it because it was just a better picture for the money and size.

Now, DLP is the way to go if you don't absolutely need a flat panel. It's got the best color reproduction outside of a CRT (and even then it's still really damned good on everything, including black levels), the combing that people complained about is eliminated and most DLPs, especially Samsung models, have a gaming mode that eliminates lag on non-HD resolutions. It's still the best bang for your buck, since you can easily get a 56" 720p model for around $1500 retail and a nice 1080p 56" model will usually run you around $2000 retail.

Unless you want to wait and see what happens with SEDTVs (price, clarity, etc) I'd say go with a DLP over anything.

I, on the other hand, still prefer CRT, either it be tube or projection. I just don't think you can beat the price to image quality ratio: look at the Circuit City sale on the Sony 34 inch, that TV has an amazing picture quality [better than many of their much more expensive sets] but people avoid it due to the size issue. I have a Panasonic 30 inch which makes looking at other TV's near impossible. Tubes have infinite viewing angles, incredible contrast levels, the best color, and they last 20 plus years if you take care of them! Professional monitors are STILL CRT's, just so you know.

I also like CRT projection TV's, mostly because of how good they can look if properly calibrated, and just how insane the size to cost ratio is: there's no other TV where you can buy a 60 inch set for $1000. Not only that, properly set up and in the proper room and they look beyond amazing. If you're looking to buy, Circuit City sells these so cheap it's sad. I saw a 60 inch Hitachi for $899 new, and on the other side of the spectrum, a piece of shit RCA for $300 new, it's insane. What is true is that the black levels on CRT are still the highest, whether it's tube or rear projection, it's pretty much undisputed. The only disadvantage is the viewing angle [but a dark room quickly fixes that] and the size [but then again, that's only if you're an interior decorator or you live in a 1 room apartment in tokyo] A CRT shines if you get it calibrated.

As for plasma VS LCD: I prefer plasma. High contrast ratio, fastest response time, best color seperation, I think plasma is much better looking than LCD in most cases. The only issue is "burn in" but that's why my computer monitor is an LCD and why a plasma is for movies and games only, as long as stuff is moving on the screen constantly, there's no such thing as burn in: at least on new sets. Old ones? Yeah, maybe, the new ones [made by major brands such as Pioneer, Panasonic, and LG] don't suffer these problems at all. If you don't believe me, play an hour of DDR or Street Fighter and look for the IR, unless you left it paused, it's no where to be found.

And then DLP? I'll be honest, I know nothing about them mostly because I could careless. I haven't seen one DLP where the image doesn't look blurry, colorless, completely dark, or grainy as hell. Blame store set ups, blame store lighting, blame whatever it is you want, but I've seen tubes, projectors, CRTs, plasmas, LCDs, all looking great and beautiful, but I've never seen an attractive DLP in my life. Yeah, they're getting brighter, yeah, they're almost as small as some plasma/LCD sets now, but besides my issues with image quality: dlp owners have the MOST problems with their TV's, from rainbows, to chromabugs, to contrast issues, to outright defective sets.

My only issue with plasmas is that they do fade and still have a higher potential for burn in (it's very rare in modern plasmas though) but plasmas have better image quality than LCDs and cost less per inch.

I still like LCDs more than plasmas though and I hear that plasmas and LCDs are becoming pretty equal in image quality.

I have the Panasonic plasma that BB ran in their Black Friday deal last year. Let's just say it was WELL worth lining up at 3:00 am to get that set. Absolutely gorgeous picture. I was just playing the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo on it last night, and it looks simply unbelievable.

I agree, if you can put up with a CRT then go with it. That Sony KD34XBR970 at Circuit City for $600 this week is probably the best TV deal I've ever seen in terms of price vs image quality. I said it in my "Which TV should I buy" thread that I personally think that TV's image quality owns any sub $2000 LCD or Plasma.

But yeah, comparing the size and weight to an LCD or plasma makes me think otherwise.

Plasmas are so cheap now, but the burn in is still an issue. frys had a 50" panasonic for 1299 here a few weeks back.

I have a 50 in Panasonic plasma and was playing gears of war and there was burn in of the ammo thing even tho it was barely on screen. It fades in a few days if left alone tho. Im afraid to play my ps2 or gc games on it because all that old stuff underscans with black bars. I would get a lcd now so that i wouldnt have to worry bout burn in.

One thing about plasmas is they all have glass fronts. This can result in glare. The glare issue made me chose an Aquos over a similar plasma. The glass also adds weight. I am very satisfied with the 46" 1080p Aquos LCD and would highly recommend it. I also have a 50" Samsung 1080p DLP and the Aquos edges it just slightly in picture quality.

plasmas are good, burn in pretty much is gone now (very low chance). just dont leave like cnn on overnight and u should be fine. also there is a way to break in teh tv when u first buy it to minimize this possibility. plasmas are great for watching movies and what not, i also use it for gaming even though most people say lcd's are better because of their response time.

and go sharks

Let's just rename the thread "Go sharks"

Go Sharks! [don't even know who they are, but I'm excited now]

That or we have some major West Side Story fans in the house.

[quote name='ryanflucas']When are OLED's expected to hit the market?[/quote]
Next year.
As to the question at hand. i'm still kinda scared of plasma because of burn in, but the newer models this doesnt seem to be a big problem. My choice would be to go dlp, but make sure that you cant see the rainbow effect in it. only a small number of people can see it.

I went with LCD because I didn't want to constantly worry about burn in on a plasma. Some people say it's no longer an issue but the others still say they experience it on newer models. Burn in depends on the person. I'm the type that would easily forget and leave the game on, or fall asleep leaving the tv on, so I didn't want to have the hassle or worry.

All the Tv's have there drawbacks, each technology has advantages and disadvantages. I would check them out in store and see what you like the best.

lol, you guys are funny... anyway, I'm just overwhelmed I guess. So many different opinions and versions too look at. I suppose I need to just figure out my budget and then go look and see what "wows" me? Either way I'm trying to hold out as long as possible because this stuff is always getting better. Thanks for the info guys.

I am probably getting a plasma pretty soon, burn-in doesn't scare me, it would only be a problem for someone who does not respect a thousand dollar investment. As long as you are informed on the subject and break-in period you are fine. LCD's are getting better and better (and cheaper), but plasma just seems right for me. As for rear projection LCDs, everytime I have seen one they look horrible. Maybe it is because in stores they do something wrong and the light in the room, but they cannot hold a candle to plasma or lcd from what ive seen.

[quote name='coolcps']I am probably getting a plasma pretty soon, burn-in doesn't scare me, it would only be a problem for someone who does not respect a thousand dollar investment. As long as you are informed on the subject and break-in period you are fine. LCD's are getting better and better (and cheaper), but plasma just seems right for me. As for rear projection LCDs, everytime I have seen one they look horrible. Maybe it is because in stores they do something wrong and the light in the room, but they cannot hold a candle to plasma or lcd from what ive seen.[/quote]

Yea if you are the only person thats goin to use it it is fine, but if others use it like ur roommates they are gonna get tired of hearing you nag them bout burn in and stuff.

[quote name='buurrnn']Yea if you are the only person thats goin to use it it is fine, but if others use it like ur roommates they are gonna get tired of hearing you nag them bout burn in and stuff.[/QUOTE]

Once you break in the tv and have the brightness turned way down from the factory settings (and assuming youve got a quality brand name panel), you are gonna have a hard time getting burn-in. Just gotta tell them to watch stuff in full screen and dont leave it on when your not using it.

When I saw a 1080p 57 inch DLP television at my friend house, the quality looks amazing, the brightness was normal and everything.

He told me that the brightness/settings of the tv was originaly on factory setting, which is why made it look like horrible(And the store basicly uses the factory setting).

But if you adjust the setting(Make it bright,etc). It looked just as good as any other HDTV(Including plasma/lcd).

I was realy surprise after seeing his DLP. So I would not realy judge a DLP by seeing it at the store.

bread's done
Back