MGS3: Snake Eater DEMO Impressions

Scrubking

CAGiversary!
Even though I am not a fan of Snake being able to change his uniform within 2 seconds inside of a tree trunk and not make one sound while guards are 2 feet away, I have to say the gameplay is alright. The level in the demo is very linear, but that is no surprise. I killed a snake by kicking it and it didn't fight back or anything - I also got beat up by a croc: he didn't bite me he just hit me with his tail. The croc seemed super strong and impossible to even get close to without getting beat up.

Unfortunately it seems that the dumb, redundant dialogue will make a return as well as the EXTREMELY LONG talking sessions on your comm. There was literally 2 min of gameplay before I had to sit down and chat for 15 min. What gets me the most is that it is mostly stupid stuff that you would think they would tell you before you even start the mission - It's called a briefing, but apparently Hideo never heard of one and sees fit to brief you every 5 min throughout the whole game. Seriously, have some common sense and have your tutorial at the begining of the game like everyone else instead of constantly stopping the gameplay.

Anyway, we will see what the final product is like. If the rumor that this is the last MGS is true, maybe it is a good thing.

I'm probably gonna wait for this game to drop in price. There was too much garbage thrown into the last game for me to handle. It looks like that will be returning in this one.

[quote name='Scrubking']that the dumb, redundant dialogue [/quote]

Wow... just wow.

Stick with regurgitating the news, your impressions just plain suck.

[quote name='Scrubking']I'm sorry my impressions were not fanboy enough for you. :roll:

Idiot.[/quote]

Don't worry, we don't expect you to do any more fanboy-ing than necessary what with GTA right around the corner. :wink:

BTW, that was a good-humored joke, please take it as such.

[quote name='Scrubking']Even though I am not a fan of Snake being able to change his uniform within 2 seconds inside of a tree trunk and not make one sound while guards are 2 feet away, I have to say the gameplay is alright.[/quote]

I'm glad i'm not the only one who finds the costume changing to be a sour spot in the game. It's not only unrealistic but also looks to be incredibly tedious to have to change your costume whenever you change your surroundings. I realize that its only a video game but Kojima has strived for a certain level of realism in his games in regards to the tactics of taking down the enemies but to be able to change an entire outfit (and apply face paint) while hidden in grass three feet away from the enemy without arrousing any suspision just takes any shred of realism that might have been preserved and throws it down the crapper. That one feature has single-handedly turned me off on the game.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']you changed chlothes in a similar fashion in MGS 2 and I never heard anyone complain about it.[/quote]

That only occured a few times as I recall, meanwhile MGS3 seems to require it much more often. I suppose we'll see how smoothly it plays in November.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']you changed chlothes in a similar fashion in MGS 2 and I never heard anyone complain about it.[/quote]

I don't recall needing to change clothes in mgs2, and definitely not as frequently as this.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='CaseyRyback']you changed chlothes in a similar fashion in MGS 2 and I never heard anyone complain about it.[/quote]

That only occured a few times as I recall, meanwhile MGS3 seems to require it much more often. I suppose we'll see how smoothly it plays in November.[/quote]

I know, I was just mentioning that a similar type of clothing changing system was used and no one complained.

I could care less about changing chlothes, although it will be nice to get some new outfits through downloads.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='CaseyRyback']you changed chlothes in a similar fashion in MGS 2 and I never heard anyone complain about it.[/quote]

I don't recall needing to change clothes in mgs2, and definitely not as frequently as this.[/quote]

What about the awkwardly naked Raiden section where you didn't have any clothes at all? Quite uncalled for IMO...

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='CaseyRyback']you changed chlothes in a similar fashion in MGS 2 and I never heard anyone complain about it.[/quote]

I don't recall needing to change clothes in mgs2, and definitely not as frequently as this.[/quote]

you change chlothes to enter into the core of shell 1.

you can take them on and off any time you want though

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']What about the awkwardly naked Raiden section where you didn't have any clothes at all? Quite uncalled for IMO...[/quote]

I hated that part. Not because of the nudity necessarily, but because I got stuck and it took me forever to figure out what to do next.

meanwhile MGS3 seems to require it much more often.

If by "require it much more", you mean the gameplay totally depends on it for the whole game and you need to change clothes literally every 5 or 10 seconds in most situations - then you are correct.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']What about the awkwardly naked Raiden section where you didn't have any clothes at all? Quite uncalled for IMO...[/quote]

I hated that part. Not because of the nudity necessarily, but because I got stuck and it took me forever to figure out what to do next.[/quote]

I died probably 15 times the first time I got to that section.

[quote name='-Never4ever-'][quote name='Scrubking']that the dumb, redundant dialogue [/quote]

Wow... just wow.

Stick with regurgitating the news, your impressions just plain suck.[/quote]

You are ridiculous. Regardless of how you think, NO ONE is qualified to judge another's personal opinion/impressions.

Telling someone that their opinion "sucks" is not only immature, it is extremely ignorant. Grow up and open your eyes. It's a very diverse world that will swallow you up someday.

No need to turn these boards into a bonfire of flames. Let gamefaqs keep that standard.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I know, I was just mentioning that a similar type of clothing changing system was used and no one complained. [/quote]

I think your missing the biggest factor though Casey. MGS2's gameplay wasn't focused on that one small aspect. I couldn't even remember changing clothes until you pointed it out. So why would anyone complain about a forgettable element that isn't over used? As opposed to MGS3 where, like Scrubking said, the core gameplay is supposed to revolve around this camoflauging element. Yes, it may not be as annoying in the final copy but now it is definately on my bad side.

Am I the only one who is really looking forward to this game? I do agree that the chaning camo seems a little redundant and pointless but it is different. At least he tried to change the gameplay from the first two. I'll have to play it first to actually judge if the change was for the better or worse.

IMO, MGS1 had the greatest storyline and cast of characters in any game, and most movies. MGS2 has an interesting story, the cast wasn't as good. Still one of my favorite PS2 games. It seems like more like it is just setting up for the final game of the trilogy. The 3rd looks like it might be better than the 1st. The Boss looks like a really cool character, I can't wait to see how this game turns out. Still waiting for the demo to show up on newsstands though.

IMO, MGS1 had the greatest storyline and cast of characters in any game, and most movies. MGS2 has an interesting story, the cast wasn't as good.

It is interesting how you didn't mention anything about gameplay seeing that these are supposed to be games and not movies.

If Hideo wanted to focus on the story so much he should have just made a mgs movie and let someone else make the games.

I think what everyone wants is another MGS1 (I certainly do) but I don't think we are going to get it. Once Raiden came into the picture in MGS2, I lost much faith in Kojima. MGS2 was still a decent game but it pales in comparison to its PS1 counterpart. I think Kojima knew no one would like Raiden and that is why they kept him a closely guarded secret.

I'll give Kojima credit for trying something new. Lord knows the industry needs a refreshing set of ideas once in a while, but the fact of the matter is we want another MGS1. Snake Eater is DEFINITELY not it. (Nor was Twin Snakes BTW.)

All the book stores I went to today (okay, so I only went to two of them, but still...) had the OPM issue on their shelves. Haven't had time to sit down with the demo yet, but I'm looking forward to firing it up tomorrow afternoon.

[quote name='Scrubking']
IMO, MGS1 had the greatest storyline and cast of characters in any game, and most movies. MGS2 has an interesting story, the cast wasn't as good.

It is interesting how you didn't mention anything about gameplay seeing that these are supposed to be games and not movies.

If Hideo wanted to focus on the story so much he should have just made a mgs movie and let someone else make the games.[/quote]

Yea. I will admit that MGS1, at the time had awesome gameplay, but by today's standards, the new MGS games seem too simple. I still enjoy the boss fights and the variety of gameplay elements, but that isn't enough to hold the game on its own.

The main reason I play the MGS series is for the story but I am glad they are not movies. I don't think it would work since all the codec scenes would have to be changed and there would many portions of the movie where snake would have to be shown sneaking around an enemy base. That doesn't really suit a movie, but is perfect for a game.

Why do games have to be all about gameplay. I know gameplay is a huge part in it but so is the story. I think the Splinter Cell series a little boring. It does have better gameplay, but it is a little repatative and lacks variety. The story isn't that great and there are no boss fights or anything. I like how games are trying new things like having complex, intruiging stories that are on par with movies. Just my thoughts.

150 posts... woo-hoo?

And crap...MGS3 has no gameplay? Thats a redundant statement...Just because there was a lengthy intercom session in the demo, doesnt mean that youll be having 3 hour conversations every 5 minutes.

It was the same in the beginning for all the games, MGS for the PS1 had them, MGS2 had them as well when the game first starts off. very LONG comm briefings. Well, so what? Just because you dont have cg sequences to move the series along, doesnt mean the gameplay sucks, no?

Plus, the camo outfits....Theyre not a 100% required tool. You can wear them to be more stealthy, and if you dont, you dont..and can take the risk of not doing so.

Man..it just seems like people just let their dumb prejudices about mistakes in MGS2 stick like shit all over the place. Do you guys seriously think Kojima, as a reknown game developer...doesnt learn? That he would release a title that would damage Konamis image? Its just undeserved. Even mgs2 had some very strong points. Its weakness was its STORY. The STORY did not affect the STEALTH gameplay, which was VERY INNOVATIVE at the time (AND dont you dare say elsewise...becuase you know it was). A character called RAIDEN did not affect the GAMEPLAY either. He had the same skills as SNAKE. yes? He just didnt have a mullet, and facial hair.

Point SAID..The story, did not, and does not change the gameplay. So dont say that MGS is all graphics and story-and nothing else, because thats a really stupid statement to make about the game that defined Stealth/ action.

Well, you know what, just dont buy the game. Just bitch your asses off at it based on your little problems with MGS2, and when it porbably turns out to be good, dont run off to desperately get your hands on a copy. How about that? Jesus. Rant fests for unreleased games are just shaq fuing gay.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

[quote name='Scrubking']
Why do games have to be all about gameplay.

Why does a pizza have to be all about the toppings?[/quote]

there is more to pizza than just the toppings. There is more to games than just gameplay.

I loved Metal Gear Solid. I bought Solid 2 cheap, but I just could not get into it. It was very boring IMO. And I didn't even make it to Raiden's part. I think I will pass on this one...

Plus, the camo outfits....Theyre not a 100% required tool. You can wear them to be more stealthy, and if you dont, you dont..and can take the risk of not doing so.

Right, and never get past the very first level. I was at 90% camo and the guards still saw me.

Point SAID..The story, did not, and does not change the gameplay. So dont say that MGS is all graphics and story-and nothing else, because thats a really stupid statement to make about the game that defined Stealth/ action.

:rofl:

[quote name='dpatel'][quote name='Scrubking']

there is more to pizza than just the toppings. There is more to games than just gameplay.[/quote]

So I can give you a plain piece of round bread and say here is your pizza and you will be okay with that?

Yeah, I saw the magazine on stands today.

I had a talk with Guessed about this game.. he thinks it'll be worth it, but I reminded of MGS2, the story, and how quick it dropped.. but you know, MGS2 wasn't that bad.. I just don't know how it's going to turn out.

..and I probably never will, since I don't have a PS2 anymore.

TorchLee.gif

FLAME ON!

Why dont you answer the questions next time, Scrubking? cheapass'TARD.

Am I the only one who finds MGS's story incredibly lame and boring? The gameplay is good as are the boss fights, but MGS 2 is just a better game overall. The story and gameplay were much better IMO.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='dpatel'][quote name='Scrubking']

there is more to pizza than just the toppings. There is more to games than just gameplay.[/quote]

So I can give you a plain piece of round bread and say here is your pizza and you will be okay with that?[/quote] What about how the pizza is made? I dont want no jackass heating the pizza up and then putting the toppings on. Presentation in a game matters a lot. What if I gave you a damn pizza with no topping likes pepperoni or sausage? Would it be as interesting? Hell no. You want a game with no story and all you do is running around killing things? Where's the incentive to go on? What are you waiting to see? A game without a story is a pizza without toppings. Why dont you just play a fighting game? No story, and fun gameplay. MGS 3 probably has both story and gameplay. Kojima, and the MGS series have proven themselves in the past If you dont like the codec sessions, skip them. If you want to know whats going on, dont skip them. Im just gonna wait till the game comes out, and you're gonna feel like a lame ass who ranted about some game which turned out to be good. IMO

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='dpatel'][quote name='Scrubking']

So I can give you a plain piece of round bread and say here is your pizza and you will be okay with that?[/quote]

BUT, ScrubKing, the very DEFINITION of a pizza is a round flat piece of bread with tomato paste and molten cheese on top! When you don't have those basic ingredients, it's no longer a pizza!This discussion is intellectually bankrupt. What if I just threw a piece of sausage at you when you ordered a pizza? \:D/ scrubking: 0, vague PA reference: 1

[quote name='Scrubking']I'm sorry my impressions were not fanboy enough for you. :roll:

Idiot.[/quote]

Nice accusation, but I was talking about your lack of any kind of description added with your flawed opinion, equals one boring, highly inaccurate view of the demo. In other words: your impressions suck, all of them. Stick to what you do best regurgitating.

Retard.

[quote name='CrimsonGeist']If you dont like the codec sessions, skip them. If you want to know whats going on, dont skip them. [/quote]

And with that, the disscusion is killed dead in it's tracks. There is possibly no fucking way to argue with that.

I played through the demo, I wasn't digging it at all. The camo switch system was far too annoying, and the overhead camera just isn't working anymore. Its way to hard to see your surroundings. I wish you could attached yourself to a wall by pressing and holding a button instead of holding up STILL. I keep accidently coming off the wall/tree whatever it be. I was frustrated more than having fun. I liked MGS quite a bit, but I hated MGS2. This is a big dissappointment. It's times like this I am thankful for OPM, cause they just saved me 50 bucks.

[quote name='dpatel'][quote name='Scrubking']

MMMM.

Then why is it called Gameplay? Game play? Game Pla... Game pl... Game p... Game... oh thats right GAME and Gameplay...

Sounds like Gameplay is needed in Games to me thats not a smart remark.

I bought a PS1 just due to MGS. The thing is its not the First Metal Gear gme and I get annoyed when people refer to it as such. This isnt the trid in the trilogy.

I am no way a major Metal Gear gek but I have enjoyed each of the games and eventually will play this one.

The second one had to much back and forth on the story and I played it for the action, parts of the story.

Anyway..

I really liked the demo, it looks great, drowning snake is fun. It was just fun sneaking in the grass, cutting up the frogs, and the intro was very well done. I might get this game eventually.

bread's done
Back