Atlus USA Announces Growlanser: Heritage of War for PS2

62t

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
Atlus USA has announced that they will be bringing the latest title in the Growlanser series to North America under the title Growlanser: Heritage of War. Developed by Career Soft, Atlus USA will release Growlanser: Heritage of War in a special edition box set, with bonus materials to be announced in the summer.

Growlanser: Heritage of War follows the story of an island where the inhabitants war simply to survive. A famine has claimed the majority of the island, and the survivors struggle over the little bit of arable land that remains. Even while fighting against each other, people must also face the Screapers, powerful monsters encroaching on the land.

The latest Growlanser features over seventy hours of gameplay, all accompanied by animation and portraits by artist Satoshi Urushihara. Aside from the strategy-based gameplay, players will also manage character's ability trees as well as their magical fairy companions. Something hardcore RPG fans may be interested in is the Friendship and Personality Rating System, which allows players to interact with other NPCs and balance relationships, making your main character an ill-tempered oaf or a kind-hearted hero.

Growlanser: Heritage of War is slated for release on the PS2 in the late summer 2007. No price point or ESRB rating has been announced.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2007/1151.html

This is actually Growlanser V in Japan. Good to see Atlus hasnt gave up on the series.

I knew I shouldof waited another week when I saw Growlanser V Import for $35 shipped brand new. First thing that popped into my mind was, "Is yesasia getting rid of stock because it's being localized...?" Checked other places and didn't see it cheaper than normal pricing anywhere else. Oh well, I'll probably pick up the limited edition of V when it hits here.

Wonder if we'll see Growlanser IV: Return and Wayfarer of the Time localized eventually and maybe the first one on PSX as well? If V sells well I think we'll definitely see VI localized here.

I wonder what'll be included in the LE and if it'll be as good as Working Designs stuff. I can only hope!

I actually don't know anything about Growlanser. What style of RPG is it? Can someone give me a rundown on the mechanics?

[quote name='brandonabley']I actually don't know anything about Growlanser. What style of RPG is it? Can someone give me a rundown on the mechanics?[/quote]

It's an SRPG. I don't know exactly what's in V that differs itself from the previous games but I could probably check as I have the japanese version. Though I haven't opened it yet, lol. Here's the beginning AMV (I guess) for "Growlanser Generations" in the US which encompasses II and III for the PS2. It should give you an idea of what it's like but V is suppose to be 3D.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=-dC7jawJzR8[/media]

EDIT: Stupid first video was under 'mature content' and came across a second of the same thing which isn't.

EDIT 2: Maybe I'll throw in my import Growlanser V in one of the coming weekends and write a small report on how it plays and features compared to II and III.

[quote name='Chacrana']Atlus is really making the PS2 the best system to own this summer.[/QUOTE]

fuck, I'll go out on a limb and say the PS2 has the best lineup this *year*.

The story line seems pretty great and definitely something we haven't seen 10,000 times before, so if the price is right ($40, I hope) I will definitely grab it on release.

I might even get Growlanser 2 + 3 in case demand for them suddenly skyrockets with people picking up Growlanser V.

After having played an hour of it, it's a bit different than Growlanser Generations that we have here in the US, which is Growlanser II and III. Where to start...

Well fundamentally it's still a Strategy RPG. Like the previous Growlansers, it uses a waypoint system in order to direct characters to do whatever you tell them to do. Unlike the previous Growlansers though, instead of having a menu pop up every time it was a characters turn, you have to pull up menus on your own to get things started. Which obviously means this is a real-time strategy battle. Though you can also program set AI commands to your party members through the start menu.

However the main character is different than the rest of your party. You are able to run around the battlefield like an Action RPG with him since you control him directly. When you want to attack you hit circle and then you're frozen in place until your action gause depletes and you are able to perform another command. Unlike your main character party members will automatically pull up the menu whenever the monster they were attacking is dead or the magic they're chanting is finished. Magic once started can be cancelled at any time as can any other command. Using magic is a little bit annoying since you have to take control of your main character and attack with him fairly often with the menu popping up but it's not too bad.

Battles themselves are not too different than previous Growlansers, but it seems only four characters are allowed in battle now. There are also various objectives and such in some battles like previous games in the series. An example would be the fourth battle you enter in the game, which could be considrered a boss as the only enemy on there hits substantially harder than all previous ones:

When you enter that battle you're at the top of the map. There is a town on the right side with a gate. A bunch of citizens are outside and become paralyzed because they were afraid of the enemy. In order to save the citizens, you must send one of your two party members to each citizen in order to make them go back to the keep without dieing while keeping the enemy occupied with your other character, which can defend. The main character I used had to hold down X in order to defend and isn't an order like other characters though. Then after saving the villagers you are left with how to defeat the enemy since you're doing one damage a hit to it. Finally your party comes up with the idea to use the towns gate to smash it. So you lure it back to town and have your second character attack the bridge while your first is defending from attacks to smash it for good.

From battles you gain experience for killing enemies and it's distributed evenly among allies it seems. Storyline battles though give an extra bonus at the end of battle with gold and experience (Something else too I think). However it also gives experience to the weapon and armor you're using too. It may do the same for your accessories but I didn't find any that did in the first hour of gameplay. What the experience I believe does on equipment is help you learn skills. I'm not entirely sure though as my kanji is pretty terrible but regardless the weapons and armor I came across had seemingly three skills on them and you have a Skill Plate which a few skills on it for each character. Obviously they can be learned and from the looks of things can be branched to learn (?) new skills or select a path of skills to use in some way.

Saving is done at NPCs, which are usually at inns but not always. In the second battle there is an NPC that can be saved and he has the ability to sell you goods and save your progress.

The story mainly seems to start with three nations and at least two at war against each other. Though the main character is anti-war and wishes to stop the war and in order to do that he is seeking the power to do so. It's a pretty basic start to a game but may unfold well later. I'd rather wait for the english version instead of trying to play a version I won't entirely understand.

I did take some digital pictures of my television in various spots to help describe this but I'm unable to upload them at the moment. When I get the chance I'll do that and then add them to this post. I just didn't want to forget anything so I figured I'd quickly write this first after my session instead of holding off for pictures. I'd rather of used a capture card but sadly I don't have one.

Hopefully you understood whatever the hell I was trying to say with this. I usually come off a bit weird in my explanations and confuse people rather than help them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask as I *might* be able to help. Though don't expect too much with my terrible knowledge of kanji.

EDIT: Here are a few pictures. Sorry for the quality but it should help give you an idea and if readable, maybe someone can translate a few things (if the pic is legible, lol) in them like what the third part after exp/money in the Mission Complete screen, what the three things are in weapon change, and what each thing is in the AI menu. The story related conversation was talking about exploring some nearby ruins but that's not really important.

Skill Plate
Party AI Menu
Mission Complete
Weapon Change (Picture of the three skills I mentioned)
Story related conversation (Wonder if Romina is a party character later)
Main characters defensive AoE skill (fugly effects on it but other skills are fine so far)

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention how world travel works. It's not like the previous growlansers with the overworld and selecting various points. Instead it's a map-to-map connection much like many Action RPG's today. Some won't have battles and some will and you can probably skip them by running through but enemies will run at you and attack as soon as they become aware that you're there.

[quote name='Atlus']Friends in the gaming press,

Atlus USA is excited to announce today that the upcoming PlayStation 2 RPG, Growlanser: Heritage of WarTM, will be a true Limited Edition release! The title will only receive a single print run - when the initial allocation has sold out, the game will no longer be available for purchase.

Every copy of the game will include a 100-page, full-color art book featuring the work of Satoshi Urushihara, a multimedia disc with art and music from the game, a keychain, two lenticular cards, and three commemorative pins.

“We are pleased to be able to offer Growlanser fans this special release,” said Mason Hyodo, Project Lead. “This is a series long known for its exceptional fan service, and we have endeavored to create a package that Growlanser followers will be proud to own and display. As a result of the quantity of the extras that will be included with every copy of the game, we have decided to limit the title’s release to a single print run. Growlanser: Heritage of War will be a true Limited Edition game.”

Growlanser: Heritage of War is currently scheduled for a September 2007 release.[/quote]
Sounds pretty limited...

I loved Growlanser Generations. I wish I could make the time (without guilt) to play through it again. Not sure how I feel about the "RTS" aspect of this one though.
It's odd that each succeeding game shrinks the party size.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Here are videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BB5_7eOGvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5ew5K5A88

Not trying to be a bitch, but I think that the horrible camera angle and putridly-colored menus have permanently turned me off of this game. I wonder if you can change the camera angle and the menu colors. If not, fuck it.[/quote]

I don't believe the camera is changable except in minor variances of overhead zoom but I do believe the menu colors can be changed. I'll pop it in tomorrow, check, and get back to you about it for sure.

[quote name='Draekon']I don't believe the camera is changable except in minor variances of overhead zoom but I do believe the menu colors can be changed. I'll pop it in tomorrow, check, and get back to you about it for sure.[/QUOTE]
Since your impressions are kind of old (as in, haven't been updated in a while), can you give us more feedback? Have you personally enjoyed the game so far? Would you recommend it? Thanks for the big writeup on it, btw.

About the camera angles, you said it can zoom in more? If so, how much more? The characters look like little ants on the screen in that video.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Since your impressions are kind of old (as in, haven't been updated in a while), can you give us more feedback? Have you personally enjoyed the game so far? Would you recommend it? Thanks for the big writeup on it, btw.[/quote]

Well, when I got the game it went straight to the back of my 'to play' list since I was in the middle of playing Summon Night 4 and Tales of Rebirth. Then it was announced that it was going to be localized and I decided not to get into it as I'd enjoy it more with a language I can more easily read as I suck at reading japanese characters. So I pretty much only gave it about three hours to get an idea of the gameplay and what not and give basic gameplay impressions here.

Though after your reply I went back and played a little more as I'm curious exactly when you aquire switch over/into the character in the youtube videos you linked. So far I played a few more hours until my friend came over. Reason why I'm curious about this is because it seems the characters in that video (which are different than mine) are lower than level 10 and yet my characters are nearing level 20.

So far though I'm still enjoying it somewhat. Not close to the extent I enjoyed 2 and 3 that came in the Generations collection here in the states. It's hard for me to really recommend it with how little I've played but the way the characters are and how the battle system works with various objectives I do plan to buy it again in english if it doesn't cost too much.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']About the camera angles, you said it can zoom in more? If so, how much more? The characters look like little ants on the screen in that video.[/quote]

Ok, the camera angle is static and not changable. Even in the games options there was nothing that seemed it would effect it. It's not quite as bad as the youtube video makes it out to be but I can see why it was done that way considering the size of each immediate area. In towns, buildings, and some other maps the cameras shift to a closer-to-character view.

As for the slight psychedelic menu, it's not terribly bad. All the chat windows and what not are blue and the menus are blue (top) to pink (bottom). Both of which have gold trim. The skill tree is green (top) to blue (bottom) though. It's possible that the backgrounds may be changable in options but like I mentioned earlier I suck at reading japanese characters and the other parts of that option are unselectable at this current time.

Thanks a ton for the info, Draekon. I think the reason why the characters are different in the video is because of what I read in a review; you play various characters' storylines instead of just one. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R111523.html
The story starts off with 2 men who would later form the peace maintenance army. After the gamer completes their story, the plot progress on to 20 years later and more characters will be introduced via their own scenarios. This is what I consider the multi-role system, whereby you can get to play as different characters and know more details of their background and motives and so on.
Anyway, considering the video and what you said, especially about it not being as good as 2 and 3 (which weren't really that great anyway), I will probably pass on it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Hay guyz heres the boxart:
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/growlanser/growlanser5/packaging/growlanser51.jpg[/quote]

Looks better than the japanese box art in my opinion.

Ugh, now that I've played more of V, I want to go and play IV and its sequel because I love the 2D gameplay so much more than the 3D. Arghh... Oh well, I guess I have like a week and a half until Persona 3 hits and I'll just get Brave Story later.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So you dislike the 3Dish system this game has?[/quote]

It's not that I dislike it as I don't. It's just I would prefer the older style of telling each character what to do after they run out of the commands you've already given them. In this you can do that but it mostly works off of pre-set AI when you aren't doing that. It's just more of a pain to manually open up the menus for every character and your main character is directly controlled by you in a more real time approach. X to defend and O to attack, which will probably be switched around in the US version as a majority of the time it tends to be.

Maybe it reminds me too much of Final Fantasy XII which I just about loathe the battle system in it. With that I feel more like I'm running a bot to play the game for me instead of me playing the game myself. Which it's a little better in Growlanser V as you do have to control the main character plus get more control over your party members unlike in FFXII.

That and I don't care too much for the 3D sprites and like the 2D art style in the earlier Growlanser games over the new 3D look. Oh and I want to say the second character you get control over is a fucking gay sounding japanese hippy with a splice of mad scientist. They should of used a different run animation.... It makes me want to casterate him so he doesn't reproduce in this game and create more offspring, but I'm too late for that! He has a wife! and a kid!

Oh and my final battle I played before I shut the game off, one of my allies who I didn't have any control over in battle initiated an attack that went into a fucking anime cutscene. Surprised the heck out of me since I was in the middle of running to the next enemy and I thought something special happened, lol.

I just noticed this game is available for pre-order on the nis site: link.

Do we know for sure this "Limited Edition" is the only version available like Persona 3? If so there is no reason to get ripped off by NIS (e.g. shipping) and buy from amazon.

[quote name='Asgardian']I just noticed this game is available for pre-order on the nis site: link.

Do we know for sure this "Limited Edition" is the only version available like Persona 3? If so there is no reason to get ripped off by NIS (e.g. shipping) and buy from amazon.[/quote]

Considering the only thing in Gamestops computers is the limited edition, I think it's safe to say all copies will include the extras. More so since it was announced that there will be a limited print of the game.

http://www.atlus.com/growlanser/

The official site is up as of two days ago. Which also has a picture of the contents that come with the game now.

Reading the site makes me want to continue since I only played the prologue (5 hours at least...) and a tiny bit after (as Randall). Guess I'll continue on in Growlanser IV after I beat Brave Story until Persona 3 comes out in 11-12 days from now.

I have to say though... I enjoy Growlanser IV's battle system much more than V's. It's a mix between that of III and V, which isn't half bad. Oh well, at least V isn't as bad as Final Fantasy XII's but it's not terribly far from it.

So there will be a Limited Edition like the stateside Growlanser.

Anyone knows what the goodies are in the picture, besides an artbook and keyring?

[quote name='Draekon']http://www.atlus.com/growlanser/

The official site is up as of two days ago. Which also has a picture of the contents that come with the game now.

Reading the site makes me want to continue since I only played the prologue (5 hours at least...) and a tiny bit after (as Randall). Guess I'll continue on in Growlanser IV after I beat Brave Story until Persona 3 comes out in 11-12 days from now.

I have to say though... I enjoy Growlanser IV's battle system much more than V's. It's a mix between that of III and V, which isn't half bad. Oh well, at least V isn't as bad as Final Fantasy XII's but it's not terribly far from it.[/quote]Just look at those red tight pants! :drool:

[quote name='brandonabley']I actually don't know anything about Growlanser. What style of RPG is it? Can someone give me a rundown on the mechanics?[/quote]Think Grandia meets a dumbed down version of Disgaea. It's kind of strategy/RPG, but with a Grandia style "real time" battle timer. It's freaking awesome, both games in Growlanser Generations used it. God I hope the Ring Skills system, or whatever it was called, is back in this game.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Think Grandia meets a dumbed down version of Disgaea. It's kind of strategy/RPG, but with a Grandia style "real time" battle timer. It's freaking awesome, both games in Growlanser Generations used it. God I hope the Ring Skills system, or whatever it was called, is back in this game.[/quote]

I don't recall seeing it, but I never actually made it far enough through to the main party that you play as through most of the game and I played for a good 8 hours about. They now have a ability tree system where you learn abilities based off of your equipment for your characters tree. However each "root" (far left skills) can be branched off to the next skill that's horizontally up or down from it. I believe this will determine what abilities boost your characters in battle and according to the english site you can change them pretty much at will to change how the character is played. A very small blurb on it is under Battle in the Info page of the official english site site.

Seems like Growlanser IV may of been the last one to see that type of system.

bread's done
Back