PS3 Arcade Stick Thread

MarkMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I love arcade sticks.

I've reviewed the two high end arcade sticks for PS3... the VSHG and HRAP3... check out the reviews on www.SDTEKKEN.com ... click on Tech Area > then Arcade Sticks to check em out!

Anyone else a stick maniac like I am? Or am I the only weirdo on that boat...

----

Reminder:

Looking for a PS3 arcade stick? Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 for the CHEAPEST price ANYWHERE!

391396119_14634412f3_o.jpg

High-Score Online! is selling the HRAP3 for $107 shipped to anywhere in the continental United States. Compare that to $130-140 everywhere else!

Here's a link to purchase:
http://high-scoreonline.com/store/hori-real-arcade-pro-3/

Check out MY review here:
http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/ps3-hrap3/hori-real-arcade-pro-3-review/

Sweet, thanks for the heads up on the PS3 stick. Don't have a PS3 yet, but I love the HRAPs. I saw HRAP2s going for as low as $80 on ebay...

So far, I have just 1 HRAP2, the Tekken Ultimate stick, and a Saturn stick. Also have a PS2 converter for DC so can use the HRAP for my DC stuff.

[quote name='MarkMan']
Anyone else a stick maniac like I am? Or am I the only weirdo on that boat...[/quote]

I just started getting into more arcade stick collecting and getting back into fighting games. And I know I've talked to you on more than one occasion about stick reviews and recommendations for custom sticks, so I don't think you are the only "weirdo." Maybe people should post a pic of their arcade stick collections in this thread too, I know I will be :D.

And thanks for the info on the HRAP3. I wonder how it is going to compare to the HRAP3 SA?

Also, I'm curious. What is everybody's favorite arcade stick from the ones they own or have used and why? (Now that I look at it, this might be a little off topic.)

My favorites are the Dreamcast Agetec stick and the new Virtua High Grade Stick for PS3. I love the way they are built and the weight of the sticks.

The HRAP3 SA makes me sad... unless you already preordered in Japan you'll end up paying $150ish...

The only difference is that it will have all Sanwa buttons and 6 action buttons instead of 8... (but who really needs 8 for fighters?)

But yea... good choice either way..

I'll post some arcade stick collection pics later this weekend :)

[quote name='MarkMan']The HRAP3 SA makes me sad... unless you already preordered in Japan you'll end up paying $150ish...

The only difference is that it will have all Sanwa buttons and 6 action buttons instead of 8... (but who really needs 8 for fighters?)

But yea... good choice either way..

I'll post some arcade stick collection pics later this weekend :)[/quote]

Excellent. Well, here are my growing collection pics... The first pic is what I have for PS3 (to stay on topic) and my second pic includes all of the sticks I currently have.

Can anyone tell me if the body of the Virtua Stick High Grade is metal or plastic? I know it's supposed to be heavier than the HRAP but I can't tell from the pics if it actually is made of metal or not. Thanks.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']so do the PS2 controller adapters work with PS2 hori sticks?[/QUOTE]

the T5 Hori I have works perfectly with the Pelican PS2/PS3 converter.

I don't have an HRAP 1 or 2 to test out, but I'm sure MarkMan does :)

I tested almost all my sticks(56 of em) and have not come across any problems with them using the Pelican PS2 to PS3 adapter...(played only ST and T5DR tho)....

[quote name='MarkMan']I tested almost all my sticks(56 of em) and have not come across any problems with them using the Pelican PS2 to PS3 adapter...(played only ST and T5DR tho)....[/QUOTE]

Thx for the info... I'll probably finally get around to a Tekken 5 stick when I get around to sorting myself out.

^^ They do... :)

They work with PC too..

Home/PS button doesn't work with the PS3/PS2/PS1 games though :(

I'm sure they'll fix that in future udpates because IT WORKED before...

[quote name='MarkMan']^^ They do... :)

They work with PC too..

Home/PS button doesn't work with the PS3/PS2/PS1 games though :(

I'm sure they'll fix that in future udpates because IT WORKED before...[/QUOTE]

Just found that out and I just ordered one on ebay. Can't wait to get it :)

I'm assuming it connects with a USB? How long is it? My PS3 is far from my tv...do you guys think a USB extension would create any input lag?

I just bought the Pelican adaptor so I should be good for awhile. Do you think these will be in stores forever like the Tekken and SF sticks?

All Hori sticks have square gates... just gotta get used to them...

And I don't think they'll stay in stores long... as soon as Street Fighter and other games come out for the PS3 Network, say goodbye to sticks (ala DOA4 stick on 360)...

I honestly think... Pelican converter + trusty PS2 stick = way to go...

Don't listen to me though, even though I say get a Pelican, I just bought another FS3 today lolol...

#54 to the collection.

[quote name='salt_peanuts']Can anyone tell me if the body of the Virtua Stick High Grade is metal or plastic? I know it's supposed to be heavier than the HRAP but I can't tell from the pics if it actually is made of metal or not. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Markman, you have this stick, right? Can you tell me? Thanks, want to know before I throw down the money.

It's mostly metal for the outer shell... the bottom plate is the HEAVY part...

Be warned, VSHG has issues with only T5DR though...

[quote name='MarkMan']New Korean styled arcade stick is out... www.sdtekken.com has pics/info on it...

Will post a review soon.[/QUOTE]

Wow... that price is amazingly great. Post review soon. I am definitely eying that... how much is shipping roughly?

where is the PS Home button though???

Wow, why is that Salaubi stick so cheap? Even with the mandatory air shipping with tracking, it comes out to less than $99 for me. Not bad for an import...

Edit: RR, air shipping w/tracking is about $45 for me.

[quote name='gunm']Wow, why is that Salaubi stick so cheap? Even with the mandatory air shipping with tracking, it comes out to less than $99 for me. Not bad for an import...

Edit: RR, air shipping w/tracking is about $45 for me.[/QUOTE]

fuck... forget about it.

For me, the fedex shipping is $36... not a bad price. I'll definately post a review. I just posted that on my site as it's the first direct plug in Korean stick available for use on the PS3.

Korean sticks are pretty popular amongst the hardcore Tekken crowd... not as much as Sanwa/Seimitsu sticks though.

[quote name='denze']Not sure where you're located but he T5 stick can be found at Fry's for $30[/quote]

I was actually thinking the GC by my house. I remember it being there when it dropped to $30 a few months ago, but I was strapped for cash at that point. Hopefully it's still there, but thanks for the recommendation.

[quote name='denze']Not sure where you're located but he T5 stick can be found at Fry's for $30[/quote]

Do you know of any Fry's locations that still have these in stock? Please let me know as I want to pick a few extra up.

Will do, although I'm in Los Angeles. The two Fry's locations I can check are Woodland Hills and Burbank. FYI, I got mine at Woodland Hills, I'll take a look on my next trip there

I'd love to play on a arcade Stick, but I've spend so much time playing on the d-pad to where I don't think I can ever switch to arcade sticks, however, I did play a lot of SFIII on an arcade machine and I was pretty good. Is it better to play on the arcade stick? Does it give an advantage over d-pads/controllers?

It is preference.

Usually when people get used to arcade stick, they like that the most. Some people can just react better on dpad. I suggest try to seriously learn to play on a stick then compare it to your progress on dpad.

Reading through that slagcoin site got me all excited about arcade sticks again, plus I've been getting back into T5DR. What are the top recommended sticks for PS3 currently? It would be cool to get a new one for SC4.

As for the stick vs. dpad preference, I love the stick with Tekken and Soulcalibur, but I've been doing Tekken with a controller lately because I got used to it on the PSP version. (I wish I could plug a stick into my PSP... as ridiculous as that would be.) It's mostly for the button layout. It's tough doing stuff like 1+4/2+3 in Tekken and pretty much half the multi-button moves in SC on a Dualshock unless you remap all the shoulder buttons or play overhanded. I just prefer the simplicity of having all four buttons easily reachable like on a stick.

For some reason I stick with a controller for 2D fighters, though. Probably just because of the hours and hours put into them on SNES/PS1.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'd love to play on a arcade Stick, but I've spend so much time playing on the d-pad to where I don't think I can ever switch to arcade sticks, however, I did play a lot of SFIII on an arcade machine and I was pretty good. Is it better to play on the arcade stick? Does it give an advantage over d-pads/controllers?[/quote]
- I think it's just a matter of preference. I loved the Sega Saturn D-Pad and was able to do almost everything with it. I even bought every adapter out there to continue using it on newer systems.

I'm just getting back into joysticks again since the D-Pad on the PS3 and the Xbox360 leaves a little to be desired. I was also having a little trouble timing button presses. I ended up buying two VSHG and I immediately was able to perform moves and combos I had trouble with in VF5. I'm still not 100% with some of the moves I can do with the SixAxis, but it's getting there.

I definitely don't think there'd be any harm done by trying out the arcade stick for a while. I bet its a lot easier to hit those 1+4, 2+3 button combinations than it is on the d-pad controller.

Got this stuff today...

2475642332_e038200394.jpg

The Ant Commandos PS2 to PS3 converter. Works great with PS2 guitars on PS3 Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3. But is not as good as the Pelican converter (best one out there for PS1/PS2 arcade sticks on PS3) for fighting games. So after the sad testing session was done, I went to GameStop randomly... where I saw...

2475642456_33bf09d8bf.jpg

Holy crap, NEW for $9.99!? Don't mind if I do. I almost did a triple take. If you're familiar with these, you should know how much they go for on eBay. Yikes.

---

Here is a link to my review of the TAC PS2 to PS3 converter:

http://sdtekken.com

Top article.

NOTE: This review only pertains to the converter and it's use with fighting games. Our guitar compatibility portion of the review is still being written. Should be up sometime soon.

I could do with an arcade stick for my ps3, though I'm not used to using a stick for Tekken games at all because of the pitiful arcade scene in my area. I am, however, very used to using one with sc2 and kinda with mvc2.

I'd like to pick up one to use for T5:DR but I'm not too sure what to look for in terms of quality or whatnot.

What is the Gamestop product number on that Pelican converter (the six numbers at the left on the price tag that I cannot quite make out)?

The preorder prices for the Amazon Japan edition HRAP sticks are pretty good:

Amazon JP HRAP 1 (PS2) - Price: ¥ 6,766 (Tax Included)
Amazon JP HRAP 3 (PS3) - Price: ¥ 6,766 (Tax Included)

By today's conversion rate of 1 USD = 102.825 JPY, the cost of one unit shipped to a Japanese address would be 6,766.00 JPY = 65.8011 USD

They both also qualify for free shipping within Japan. So whichever shop stocks/sells these they'll get em for a better price, and that means better prices for all! Yay!

If you want to know what the sticks look like, check here:

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade...amazon-jp-ps2/

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade...amazon-jp-ps3/
http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/hori-real-arcade-pro-3-amazon-jp-ps3/

Those adapters go for a lot of money? I got one used in perfect condition at Gamestop a few months back for $2.99.

Any reason for the surge in pricing? Is it compatible with Rock Band or Guitar Hero or something?

There were only 5,000 made. Pelican was forced to stop making them (by Sony). And they are the only easily attainable (used to be lol) converter made for the US market that works perfectly for digital controllers (mostly arcade sticks) and has a PS button.

Bottom line, it is the best for fighting games.

I'll sell it to anyone for paypal if they are willing to pay a reasonable price. I'll go slightly cheaper then Ebay and give free shipping. PM me.

bread's done
Back