Final Fantasy Tactics A2

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Final Fantasy Tactics for the PlayStation Portable has just hit stores in Japan, but it seems all eyes are on the in-development follow-up to the Game Boy Advance design for the Nintendo DS. Final Fantasy Tactics A2 was one of the major focuses of the Square Enix Party 2007 in Japan this weekend where dozens of systems were at the ready with demo versions for attendees to play. Since I was one of the attendees, I played. Even if it was only for a short few minutes.

Just as the name suggests, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is the sequel to the Game Boy Advance version of the series. On quick screenshot glance it might appear that the Nintendo DS version is merely a dual-screen rendition of the GBA title, but mere seconds into the game it's clear that the visuals have received a major upgrade in the move from the old to the new portable. It's still a strictly 2D affair with sprite-based characters and backgrounds, but it's hard not to see the much sharper and more vibrant visuals in this sequel.

The early and short playtest didn't, however, show how the game's going to play differently compared to the original GBA title. The story still has a lighthearted, cartoony appeal which contrasted more sharply when played just a few feet from the PlayStation Portable Final Fantasy Tactics demo station. The snowball fight tutorial of the first game is gone in the sequel, replaced with a gargantuan bird attack where you'll learn the initial set of commands, moves, and basic nuances to this turn-based strategy game.

Many of the gameplay elements of the Game Boy Advance title -- from the job system to the judge rulings -- are employed in the Nintendo DS game. Players still have a huge assortment of characters with different attacks and abilities, and at the start of the game you'll have to choose which character in your army would be best used in the fight. Some characters have long distance attacks but stink when it comes to face-to-face encounters. And vice versa -- close range soldiers might be a solid addition to the front lines, but they'll need a few turns to get into the fight.

finalfantasytacticsinline_1178975129.jpg

Even though the game sticks to a 2D tile and sprite based engine, that doesn't prevent the developers from wowing the gamers with some rather impressive visuals. Along with some slick fire and lightning effects within the normal viewpoint are some really in your face attacks that do some really crazy "ooh neat" visuals -- a summon spell caused the map to zoom away in order to reveal an incredibly massive 3D beast that rained its havoc upon the battlefield. I guess it wouldn't be a Final Fantasy game without some over-the-top summon spells, and this game did it well. Can't wait to see some of the other attacks in action on the system.

Surprisingly, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 doesn't really use the touch screen for its in-game controls. It's strictly a D-pad and Button affair during the missions -- not that the game doesn't handle the traditional controls well, but it's just strange that a turn-based game like Final Fantasy Tactics wouldn't have a stylus friendly point-and-click interface.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is still deep in development; Square Enix isn't ready to announce a release date for the game, but it should hit shelves by the end of 2007. As the game gets further along we'll have more to say about it. Check out the new screens by hitting the links below.

Some other screens:

Logo:

Judges are back? Lame.

Well, if they serve only to, like, give you JP and stuff than I don't care. But if there's stupid rules again, I will not be a happy boy.

I think between two saves, I had something around 225 hours played in FFTA, will definitely be picking this one up. Glad they are finally releasing some new info about it, last stuff I read was from December. =\

What is Square thinking bringing judges back into the game?

"Yeah, you can set up a party, but we're going to make a few characters useless this battle. Here you go, guys!"

[quote name='Me, from the previous FFTA2 thread']

If this game has judges, I will be forced to take action.

Action means stealing every single copy of this I can find and firmly implanting them in the colon of the lead design.

[/quote]

>.>

Well I didn't mind the first one from what I played of it, but quit maybe 10 hours in (or maybe even 15-20) cause of boredom. So I might pick this up....I've just always hated the graphics/characters appearance in the sprites or whatever as well. They look all sinister and bratty like you wanna punch em in the face

BUT online could also rock for this if done right...

[quote name='Spades22']BUT online could also rock for this if done right...[/QUOTE]
It doesn't seem Square-Enix online play on a Nintendo system is going to happen anytime soon, since the new FFCC isn't going to have it, and arguably that game needs it more.

Can you point to where Square-Enix has emphasised online play period?

One of the minor, but many reasons of their lacking 360 support is lacking is the mandated Live functionality.

no touch controls? wtf is that shit? The DS was made for games like this.

whaaaaa...the new FFCC won't have online play? I thought that was a given a long time ago when it was announced....man that bites. FFCC could have rocked online (and ya it definitely needed it more...)

The fucking maps STILL don't rotate???? Judges are back? The crappy "game within a game" non-story is back???? No touch screen controls? GAH!!! Why didn't they just make this a GBA game? I bet it'll hardly even use the top screen, if only because that would make too much sense -- it'd be perfect for getting some of the text crap off the map.

I guess I should be happy they're making this at all, but I think I'm beginning to understand how Mana fans feel... they will never get another awesome game like SoM. Instead, they just have to watch while Square paves a bold new path of mediocrity with their beloved series.

Why can't they make a serious SRPG anymore? The first Tactics had an awesome story. Every single SRPG recently has been totally lamed-out with cheesy graphics and tongue-in-cheek dialog.
Just like the first FFTA, I'll be passing on this POS.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']Why can't they make a serious SRPG anymore? The first Tactics had an awesome story. Every single SRPG recently has been totally lamed-out with cheesy graphics and tongue-in-cheek dialog.
Just like the first FFTA, I'll be passing on this POS.[/QUOTE]

that's why 90s square was good instead of 2000s square... back then the story was the strongest point. Now it seems that square is more concerened about the looks of their games than story. This I think will hurt them with other new IPs if they don't do something story focused sometime soon.

looks basically the same as the first. I'll probably end up buying it though...SRPG's are one of my favorite genres by far. That main character though...why would they make him look so dopey. Even the guy from the first Tactics on GBA looked better lol...hate the sprites gaaa

[quote name='catapult37']The fucking maps STILL don't rotate???? [/quote]What do you think this is, a PSP game?;) JK

Thanks Rolento for the Video. Man, that summon looked BADASS. And thats something Square hasn't yet to dissapoint.

[quote name='catapult37']The fucking maps STILL don't rotate???? Judges are back? The crappy "game within a game" non-story is back???? No touch screen controls? GAH!!! Why didn't they just make this a GBA game? I bet it'll hardly even use the top screen, if only because that would make too much sense -- it'd be perfect for getting some of the text crap off the map.

I guess I should be happy they're making this at all, but I think I'm beginning to understand how Mana fans feel... they will never get another awesome game like SoM. Instead, they just have to watch while Square paves a bold new path of mediocrity with their beloved series.[/quote]You should probably look forward to Hoshigami Remix then. Maps rotate, and it has an option to be kick-your-ass difficult. And touch-screen controls.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3159451

[quote name='botticus']You should probably look forward to Hoshigami Remix then. Maps rotate, and it has an option to be kick-your-ass difficult. And touch-screen controls.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3159451[/quote]
Wow, that actually looks pretty cool. I especially like the whole idea of the "RAP meter". I'll have to hear more about the story and character classes/ability system, but it sounds like just the thing to distract me from the lame attempt that is A2. Thanks!

Edit: oh yeah, it also mentions intelligent use of the top screen. how about that.

I wish it was for the GBA. I had over 120 hours on the first FFTA. The main characters look lame though. As gay as Marshe looked, he still manages to look cooler than the guy in the funky hat and Ritz look ways more badass than then the girl with gray hair.

I really want to play FFT though. I might get a PSP just for The Lion War.

Just noticed the site is live for the Japanese version.

http://www.ffta2.com

Gameplay movies, trailer and wallpapers are up...

New Jobs, New Races, Improved Law System and crazy visuals! I don't know why most of you are hatin' on this, I personally can't wait!

The judges and the storybook aspect of the first game completely ruined it for me. I still remember my first battle in FFTA, I had all of my characters gang up on one of the enemies and was thrown in jail! I knew right then the game wasn't going to live up to my expectations.

I loved the original FFT on the Playstation. I had absolutely no desire to ever own a PSP before The War of the Lions was announced. Now I am almost positive I will buy a PSP just for that game.

I'll be getting this. While the judges were annoying, it wasn't enough to ruin the game for me. I always had a hard time putting it down. Hell, I'm even considering getting a PSP for the original FFT remake. Have to wait and see tho...

Wait wait wait.

You guys WANT touch controls?

Normally, people tend to bitch about touch being forced on and blah blah blah "DS gimmick", this and that.

Nuts to you all, I say this'll be fine. You all know you'll eventually cave in and spend hours playing the damn game, regardless of what you say now.

[quote name='Tsukento']Wait wait wait.

You guys WANT touch controls?

Normally, people tend to bitch about touch being forced on and blah blah blah "DS gimmick", this and that.

Nuts to you all, I say this'll be fine. You all know you'll eventually cave in and spend hours playing the damn game, regardless of what you say now.[/quote]If you've played Advance Wars, you know touch controls are best when used with SRPGs.

[quote name='botticus']If you've played Advance Wars, you know touch controls are best when used with SRPGs.[/quote]

Which might give Heroes of Mana a fighting chance... maybe?

Even though I emulate, i'll most definately get this one since i put over 200 hours into the first.

Gotta.. support the franchise?

Ah well, even if it is just a lame sequel

The laws and judges were annoying, but it was more of the fact that the enemies can break the law with no penalty! They would get endless yellow cards, and never get a real punishment. I never played the original PS1 FFT, does that mean there are two new tactics titles in my future? Not to mention a redesigned PSP, since I dont own one.

loved the first one on the gba and I can't wait for this one. it's gonna be great. totally looking forward to it.

After thinking about it, judges are a major nuisance but the game seriously needs more balanced classes. If they can work that out, the experience will be much improved.

Man, the drama in here is out of control. You'd think they made FFTA2 a freaking third person shooter or something.

In the new EGM, this game was reviewed. It got scores of B-, B-, and B. I can post some quotes if you want, but I'm not posting the full reviews.

Also, Frisky do you want to use this thread as the official discussion of the game, or did you want to make a new one? I figured I'd bump this one since you had some screens and stuff in the OP. If you want to make a new one I'd wait until you made it and then post the review quotes.

Gosh, I almost forgot about this. I guess it does come out pretty soon (June 24th?). What's the price point on this?

While FFTA didn't quite live up to FFT, I still enjoyed it, if not for the fact that it was a portable Tactics game. The judges still in the game is a disappointment, but I suppose I can live with it.

$40 is a lot for MotS minus the slightly enhanced visuals (still looks like GBA calibur to me). Hopefully, since last preview/review they added some sort of stylus control, but this is probably not likely.

I played through the FFTA GBA game and had a decent amount of hours into it, however, whenever I tried playing it again after beating it and unlocking everything, I could never get back into it. The strategy rpg genre (tile based) doesn't seem so fun if it's just reduced to the same old formula of move-attack/defend-repeat-end turn. But that's just me, I'm sure many others love this genre despite that.

[quote name='Moxio']Gamestop.com is showing this as a full $39.99 release.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't expect it to be any less seeing as how it's a S-E game and they, for some reason, think their games are somehow worthy of the higher than average MSRP.

Oh well, I'm not getting it any time soon. It'll hit $20 sooner or later. I'm putting my money towards sooner.

bread's done
Back