Dr Mario Kart

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
What is it?

93428720060901thumb046zd5.jpg
93428720060901thumb049kf6.jpg
93428720060901thumb050up9.jpg

Etrian Odyssey is a first person dungeon crawler from Atlus. One town (Etria), one vast dungeon and mysteries contained therein. Earlier in development it was known as Yggdrasil Labyrinth.

Video Preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ5KGg6Bk5A

Old school gaming conventions abound:

- The battles are turn based with static sprites in the old Dragon Quest style.
- Random Encounters galore with brutal dificulty.
- Nine character classes to choose from.
- No Quicksaves. You have to gradually get further and further down in the dungeon while still making it out alive. Expect heavy grinding.
- Heavy emphasis on making your own maps with the touch screen, though the map making system is well done and easy to use.

Its certainly not for everyone. If stopping to chart your way is going to bother you, this may not be for you! - But if your school is old and your core is hard, give it a look.

etrianodyssey2007050203tn8.jpg
etrianodyssey2007050203tf9.jpg

etrianodysseyscreens200at5.jpg

I'm still on the fence about getting this. My sister is getting it for sure, so I can always play her copy and see what she has to say about it to get enough impressions on whether I should get it or not.

meeeeh when I saw the sprites I was thinking this might just be a great turn based RPG, similar to maybe golden sun or final fantasy-ish...but then its all in first person perspective and you walk in a straight line? Meh...not really for me.

I like the hard-ness of the game though. For me the harder the game the better....it makes it way longer to beat and makes it seem so much better when completed.

This game looks like it's gonna have gameplay up the wazoo!!

Can't wait.

If I can ever get around to it, that is.

Sweet, lolis. I'm going to channel my secret desire to molest children and dominate women into an unhealthy obsession with scantily clad, fully developed 6 year olds.

wait, what?

Planning on buying this on principle even though it will, as stated previously, probably make me want to break my DS and I will never finish it.

Planning on playing this at some point. Having not been able to touch the DS for the past couple weeks, I still gotta finish Pokemon!

[quote name='rodeojones903']I wish it had more than one randomly generated dungeon.[/QUOTE]

There are at least 25 floors and none of them are randomly generated.

I pre-ordered this one last week. I've been looking for a good way to get my old school RPG on for a while now, and I think this will suffice.

So... is this supposed to be good? It looks like random generic dungeon crawler #467 and I doubt even the prevalence of little girls could make me give a damn based on what I've seen so far. Either that, or Shin Megami Tensei without the interesting or fun. And this is coming from a huge RPG fan.

IF you haven't been to www.atlus.com/etrian yet, you should give it a shot. The Director's Diary is freakin' awesome.
He says that if you are the kind of person who imagines what your party would eat for dinner when they stay at an inn, you'll be able to love this game.

The ad in Nintendo Power had me excited before I found out that there is so much micromanaging. I'm sure a lot of people will like this. But I would go insane playing this. Very ambitious game though.

[quote name='tinytim3131']EGM gave it a 60...but I still am going to get it.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/etrianodyssey[/QUOTE]

The new Game Informer also gave it a 6 and a 5.75.

They hated the fact all the characters were anonymous and interchangable, that it had no story, that it made you do boring fetch quests in places you already explored, and that it is a boring level grind with no payoff.

However it says if you are into old school dungeon exploring level grinding you will probably like it.

I'll give it a try when it's $10 on clearance, probably next year.

Actually the scores from EGM were...8.0, 6.0, and 4.0. Metacritic gave it an average score of 60 for the game. At least one reviewer liked it!

[quote name='Chacrana']So... is this supposed to be good? It looks like random generic dungeon crawler #467 and I doubt even the prevalence of little girls could make me give a damn based on what I've seen so far. Either that, or Shin Megami Tensei without the interesting or fun. And this is coming from a huge RPG fan.[/quote]

Seeing this game reminds me of Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. But, it seems this doesn't have as much depth to it.

Not having random dungeons does kill some of the appeal, but it also makes sense with the mapmaking feature.

Guess I shouldn't really look at it as a true, old PC style dungeon game. I *think* Dungeon Master had nearly unlimited random dungeons based on what you type.

IF liking this game is what it takes to be hardcore, then fuck it I'm not. Guess I'll have to settle as that "normal" guy who been playing games since the moment he came into this world.

I hope no one is foolish enough to be goaded into the trap. This game isn't for the hardcore, just the folks who like their games full of frustration.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3159541

8/10 from 1UP[/quote]

Just a footnote on this review. The 1up reviews just take one one of the EGM review scores. In this case, they took Fitch's review of an 8. The other two review scores in EGM were 4.0 (Donahoe) and 6.0 (Shane).

I don't understand the criteria that 1up uses to pick the review score they post. I remember that they posted a fairly negative review of Lost Planet (6.5) when the other EGM review scores were much higher.

For everyone who has already decided how " bad" this game is, the EGM review scores of 4, 6, and 8 tell the story pretty well. This is a super-niche game. Some people will defnietly hate it, but others might love it.
I've never played an RPG like this before, so I'm interested in giving it a shot.
...y'know, when it gets cheap enough.

I've got this one on order from amazon, but its for a friend so I don't have to pay for it, but I do get to play it before I send it, and if I like it, then I will buy it for myself too. This isn't something I would buy off the shelf though, thats a bit risky and it could drop in price in just a little while if its not well recieved.

This game is good for those that like turnbased battles and dungeon crawls. I'm a big fan of dungeon crawls, especally difficult ones with plenty of customization, I'm finding this game to be pretty good.

You can create a party modeled after your friends, your favorite characters from other RPGs...hell, you can even name your characters after their salient abilities (but hey, who'd do something like that?)
Heh, a not-so-subtle jab at Game Informer's review.

Since I have somewhat of a DS backlog, I'll wait for the inevitable price drop. The cartography aspect sounds like an interesting concept, and it seems to be a solid RPG. However, in terms of price drops, I'm seeing more of a Deep Labyrinth situation than a Phoenix Wright surprise.

Everyone from other forums, like Penny Arcade, mention dying on the first floor, almost immediately upon setting foot inside. Every battle has to be played very smart. I'm not sure I've heard of this level of brutality.

well, if the person dies on the first battle, s/he probably either didnt pick a good party, or maybe forgot to use skills

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Everyone from other forums, like Penny Arcade, mention dying on the first floor, almost immediately upon setting foot inside. Every battle has to be played very smart. I'm not sure I've heard of this level of brutality.[/quote]

From reading the developer diary, it seems that really difficult monsters can appear at any time. They don't save the "boss" battles for end of a level or anything like that.

I know "just picked this up" posts are annoying, but.. too bad! Just picked this up. Last one at GS. Impressions a-coming tonight.

And yes, apparently boss-like "F.O.E.s" stalk every level and you have to avoid them until you're strong enough to beat them.

[quote name='Snake2715']Anyone play Maze of Fate and give me a comparison?[/quote]

Just from what I've read about it, it's real time, enemies do not respawn, and has no random dungeons.

It has the "feel" of a old PC RPG, but not quite the same system. I'll be getting it soon, possibly tomorrow I hope.

Okay, so I guess I'm the only person here who has actually *played* this game. Here is my novella:

First off: Etrian Odyssy is not nearly as HARDCORE as a lot of the hypefans have made it out to be -- in fact, compared to old-school dungeon crawlers, it's incredibly forgiving. You start out with a ton of money, which allows you buy all of the introductory gear you need. There are clear descriptions for all sorts of things, and the overall mechanics of the game make it much easier to bend battles and exploration in your favor. Physically weak classes can actually take a hit or two, so unlike other classic D&D dungeon hacks, you won't have to worry about an enemy accidentally breathing on your mage and sending you packing back to town (although enemies will hit you with devastating critical hits which will kill your guys instantly if you don't keep your HP up). The game also features warp points and revive items -- although they are rare -- and the item shop sells a pretty cheap tool for exiting the dungeon in a jam. I think it's important to realize that this is a decidedly new-school dungeon hack, heavily influenced by the current design philosophy of "always give the player rewards for making good decisions" rather than "always punish the player for making mistakes."

Visually, the game looks pretty good. Interfaces are snappy and the forest is lush and colorful. You can definitely tell that it would look like total ass on a big screen, but on the tiny DS display it fills out nicely. Battles play out like an older Dragon Quest game, so you know what to expect there. Spell effects are pretty flashy though.

The class system is a real treat. In classic fashion, you choose a group of five characters from a variety of classes (this is confusing at first, because you have six available slots in your party formation). Classes are pretty typical: Offensive warrior, defensive Warrior, balanced warrior, spellcaster, healer, support class, rogue. Each character has a stat-learning system similar to Diablo 2, where you get a skill point each level and spend it. Every class has a few different categories of skills: for warriors, you can specialize in a weapon type, boost your HP, or specialize in unique skills; for wizards you can specialize in different elements, or in having high MP, or in casting the ultimate fireball; etc. I think each class has about 15-20 different areas to spend points on. Every class is useful and unique, and each class has at least 4 different ideal configurations. It will really hurt to only be able to focus on five party members each with one specialty when there are so many legitimate possibilities. At higher levels, you *can* respec, which is an absolute blessing.

My favorite class is the roguish class, Survivalist, because they learn a variety of abilities to decrease encounter rate, get an extra turn in battles, and are pretty solid warriors otherwise. I also like the female Dark Hunter because I am a pervert.

The game is a little punishing, but it's not exactly masochistic. You might need to gain a few levels when entering a new area, but a well-designed party should run into few hitches. Boss battles are brutal, but almost all are optional. The experience curve is a lot like Dragon Quest, where you will level up rapidly whenever you get to a new area, and then will level very slowly. This keeps your level right around where the designers want it. Money is very very scarce, and it will be shockingly expensive to revive your entire party. There might be times when you have only one party member left and he is killing moths and rats in order to get enough money to revive everyone else. I really do not like this, and I have never liked that dungeon crawlers tend to make it so hard to revive a fallen character when a boss can kill someone so easily. The Medic can learn a revive skill somewhere before the middle point of the game (judging by the skill points required to earn it), so I guess that will make things much easier. As it stands, the extortionate fees for revival and recovery are my least favorite thing about the game.

Map-making is a snap, and, surprisingly, really fun. The game automaps each tile you step on, so you don't actually need to draw on the map if you don't want to. You can add little text memos and stuff to your liking. One thing is that the automapping function does not draw walls, and only draws floors. It's a little tough to explain, but you'll have a hard time knowing that you have the entire floor charted out for sure unless you draw the walls in yourself. I really like being able to put an icon wherever I want, and typing in "locked door with crystal on it", rather than the game putting a "locked door" tile on the map and leaving me wondering which key goes into it. Seriously, it's hard to convince you, but drawing maps really is a blast in this game. You can also draw maps while battles and such are loading or even during the animation segment in the combat round, if you aren't interested in watching.

The overall pace of the game interface is pretty fast. This isn't like Pokemon or anything -- if you hold down the "a" button, battle animations will whiz by and all of your characters will be assigned "attack" in a split second. You walk pretty quickly through the dungeons, which is probably mandatory in keeping this game from sucking. You can set text boxes to "instant display", rather than the default "crawly text" mode that most RPGs use, which is a boon to those of us above a fifth grade reading level. I don't know how important the brevity of a game interface is to most people, but for me it's the difference that makes Pokemon no fun and Xenosaga 3 a whole lot of fun.

As a side note, I am playing this game concurrently with Disgaea 2, which has a typical button setup for Playstation RPGs. Etrian Odyssey's button configuration is exactly the inverse of Playstation RPG configurations, so expect to make millions of mistakes early on. The biggest issue is that the top button opens the map, not the character menu -- which is assigned to the left button. After hours of playing, I still can't get to the two straight.

SO IN SUMMARY

This is a solid, well-designed re-envisioning of the dungeon crawler. It's substantially more forgiving while still maintaining the high standard of difficulty and scarcity of resources. Reviving and healing is the worst part of the game, as it often is in this genre, but you can build your characters around it. The class sytem is very malleable and very cool -- almost identical to Diablo 2, except you get to customize five heroes instea of one. The pace of interaction with the game is very fast, which keeps it from crawling and is important in such a slow-paced game as this one. I give Etrian Odyssey my recommendation.

Real early impressions--cartography is unquestionably addictive, and I am terrible at this game. That's two ass-handings already on the first floor alone.

In the immortal words of Strong Bad, my hit points in this dungeon are embarrassing.

I like this game. My only complaint so far is that the enemies don't look too hot. The character portraits have plenty of flair, but the enemies...meh. I would dump much more time into this game if I wasn't knee deep into pokemon.

Very well put, brandonabley!

For me, this game is less punishing because of its “old school” learning curve than by the scarcity of money. Sure you get big chunks here and there, but I’ve grown far too accustomed to being able to simply kill tons of low-level enemies to generate a little scratch when I'm scrimping for my Sword of Penultimate Whoop-Ass. But that sole eccentricity aside, I’m really enjoying the title and, surprisingly, not getting the shite beat out of me as much as I feared.

[quote name='tinytim3131']Actually the scores from EGM were...8.0, 6.0, and 4.0. Metacritic gave it an average score of 60 for the game. At least one reviewer liked it![/QUOTE]

Well, the average of an 8.0, 6.0, and 4.0 is a 6.0.

Yeah, I think im gonna have to stick with my addictive Puzzle Quest for the moment. And maybe once im done with that go back to my unfinished FF3.
Dont get me wrong I love Atlus games and can't wait for Odin Sphere, I have Diseage and looking to get the 2nd when I finish this one, but this new one doesn't apeal to me to buy it.

got it today off gamefly.

Few questions

how much detail do you have to do on the maps. Im just starting out where you have to map the forest. Do you have to map every monster hit or just the lines.

one major problem i have with the game is MAGIC does way too much damage.

Hit with knife 5 pts of damage. hit with fire 1 27 pts of damage.

if i could find it DIRT cheap i probally would buy it. Tempted to do Keep it off gamefly for 13.75 *after using 10 bucks credit i got*

after looking more on gamefly i really dont see anything i want to rent till MID june so i probally try to beat it and return it .

love to see this fall to 9.99 *I would grab it in a second*

on the edge of sending this back to gamefly way too much of a time sucker.

i probally played it for 6 hours my people are only level 8

3 warriors 1 medic and a fire user.

cant even beat the FOE on level 2 let alone make it back past level 3.

i heard there are 20 floors in this game and would probally be looking at 100+ hours just to beat it.

dont know to send it back or buy it for 15

probally tomorrow i will end up with

7 wonders for the psp and Cake mania (dont ask me why i picked that lol)

other games in line up

Dinner dash comes tomorrow psp/ds
world champion cards june 1 (BUT might just buy for 15 at best buy since its only 20 new)

then again look at the line for for just DS/PSP games (only reason i use gamefly for)

maybe there is no reason to buy it since there is only what 2 games i even want to rent in june

on the ds side the only games i see i would even be intersted in june
there isnt really many games coming out soon

ds in june

SImcity June 21
fish tour June 28 (expect it to be pushed back)

PSP in june
Brooktown High
Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground june 21
Final Fantasy june 28

July
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Hoshigami Remix: Ruining Blue Earth

PSP
Taito Legends Power-Up
Riviera: The Promised Land
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics expect this to get canned
Final Fantasy II

so with so little i want to rent very good chance i just keep it till im bored with it

bread's done
Back