Wii LAN Adapter compatible with GameCube LAN games?

imacgod

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I was wondering if anybody has tried this...

I was thinking about getting a Broadband adapter for my old GameCube and another copy of Mario Kart Double Dash and hooking it to the Wii using the USB LAN adapter to get a LAN game going. Would it work?

Somehow I doubt it, but maybe someone here has the right items to try it.

I was wondering the same thing but would tend to doubt such a thing as possible.

I actually have a GC with a broadband adapter and two copies of 1080. I'll give it a try later, but don't get your hopes up.

I assume you have the USB LAN adapter, too? Anyways, if you can test, do let us know. I do have doubts about it, too.

No.

I am pretty sure this is in the FAQ I've written, but when a GC game is booted, it absolutely is a GC in every sense. I.e., it no longer has any knowledge of anything the Wii adds. This includes the USB ports.

The moment you start up MKDD, it won't be able to detect the LAN adapter.

that's pretty lame, would of been smart on nintendos part if we could use the Wii's WiFi for LAN games or even XBC or whatever the hell it is that support virtural lan gamecube.

[quote name='magiic']that's pretty lame, would of been smart on nintendos part if we could use the Wii's WiFi for LAN games or even XBC or whatever the hell it is that support virtural lan gamecube.[/QUOTE]

Did you not read what I said?

You can't use the wifi of the Wii to run Gamecube LAN games because any booted GC game can't see any of the Wii's hardware, which also includes the wifi.

Now if you are talking about local wifi LAN games from the Wii - i.e., if you had two Wiis in the same room and they both have (the inevitable) Wii Mario Kart - that's a different story. At the Leipzig game show last year, supposedly Battallion Wars Wii was being played through local wireless play.

So it is assumed at this point that Wiis can do local LAN play wirelessly.

Those are two different situations. Do some research.

I think you need to read what I wrote. I think it would of been smart on Nintendo's part instead of making the wii in regards to BC "a gamecube in every sense" it would of been perhaps a good idea to let BC work with the built in Wifi to allow for LAN gaming that way. It would of been awesome for LAN mario kart or use in connection with a virtual network service.

[quote name='magiic']I think you need to read what I wrote. I think it would of been smart on Nintendo's part instead of making the wii in regards to BC "a gamecube in every sense" it would of been perhaps a good idea to let BC work with the built in Wifi to allow for LAN gaming that way. It would of been awesome for LAN mario kart or use in connection with a virtual network service.[/QUOTE]

Again, do some research.

For that to happen, they would have had to allow the Wii to emulate the GC in software, and it simply doesn't have the power. Instead, it has the actual hardware from the GC built into the system, thereby allowing perfect emulation of GC games since - again - it becomes a GC.

You're asking for a software solution in the form of am emulation wrapper, so that GC games could be booted while still in a Wii environment, and that cannot happen.

There's two games (to my knowledge) that used local LAN play - Double Dash and Kirby's Air Ride - and I imagine that is so low of a priority on their list that they weren't going to satisfy the dozen people around the world who would actually be in a position to use it, and it would have driven up costs. The only other game that used the broadband was the Phantasy Star online games, and there's no reason to support that because I'm pretty sure those servers are down infinitely (at least the ones Sega was running that the GC would connect to).

I don't know wtf a "virtual network" service is, and I don't really think you do either, but you're just throwing together words that you think make sense.

[quote name='Richlough']They should have made it think it's a Gamecube with a broadband adapter .[/QUOTE]

That would require building it into the system, adding to the cost. For (again) 3 games.

Not worth it given the horrendous under-utilization.

[quote name='Strell']Again, do some research.

For that to happen, they would have had to allow the Wii to emulate the GC in software, and it simply doesn't have the power. Instead, it has the actual hardware from the GC built into the system, thereby allowing perfect emulation of GC games since - again - it becomes a GC.

You're asking for a software solution in the form of am emulation wrapper, so that GC games could be booted while still in a Wii environment, and that cannot happen.

There's two games (to my knowledge) that used local LAN play - Double Dash and Kirby's Air Ride - and I imagine that is so low of a priority on their list that they weren't going to satisfy the dozen people around the world who would actually be in a position to use it, and it would have driven up costs. The only other game that used the broadband was the Phantasy Star online games, and there's no reason to support that because I'm pretty sure those servers are down infinitely (at least the ones Sega was running that the GC would connect to).

I don't know wtf a "virtual network" service is, and I don't really think you do either, but you're just throwing together words that you think make sense.[/quote]
You're right Strell. The way backwards compatibility works it's not possible for the Wii in Gamecube mode to see the Wii's wireless or wired connection. I suppose it would be possible if Nintendo had gone back and rewritten the Gamecube operating system to see the Wii network connections, but making sure a revised OS worked with all the Gamecube games isn't worth it for the few Gamecube games that use the network adapter.

"A Broadband Adapter is required to play LAN mode"

As said the message on the screen, so I guess it's not possible. That's a shame, but at least progressive scan works with GC games on the Wii.

How dare Nintendo not allow LAN for the 3 games that supported it. What will all those forgettable Kirby and Snowboarding gamers do?!?!?!?

bread's done
Back