CAG StarCraft League

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
After reading the StarCraft 2 thread and seeing that there are some people interested in playing StarCraft/Brood War again I decided to make a thread for it.

Battle.net just released a new patch that enables people to create online leagues and I thought if there were enough CAGs interested in playing, that we could create a CAG league.

Here is some info on the new patch

http://www.battle.net/info/patch.shtml

If you are interested in joining a league, just post in here.

Also, if anyone here is good with HTML and would want to create a website for us that would be great!

In
RawisJericho - RawisJericho
The Crotch - The_Crotch
HotShotX - HotShotX
Strell - HotMarioStrell
Yukine - yukine
RaPtOrSIII - RaPtOrSIII
Otherguy676 - Otherguy676
Slayzz - zenxx
Mattte - Mattte
Oktoberfest - DARRENC
Kayden - KaydenFox
Pancake Rabbit - pancakerabbit
Warlock TCK - WarlockTCK
Blueshinra - Blueshinra
Controlcommerce - controlcommerce
InuFaye - InuFaye
lordwow - lordwow
BasketCase1080 - killsbury
jarvis307 - jarvis307
Ryan450 - Ryan450
Otherguy676 - Otherguy676
darthbudge - darthbudge

Need b.net user name
E_G_Man
linkpwns
SIUFan
dude2003
SpecTre3353
Roufuss
Krymner
Serik
AlbinoNinja
Ihavenolife123
suko_32

Maybe In
Swift900
whoknows
Daroga
judyjudyjudy

Friend list info
Number of friends in the list
The maximum number of friends in the list is 25.

Levels of friendship
Friend
A user adds another user to their friend list. When a user lists their friends they will receive information about all of their friends in digest form. This will allow at a glance to see which of your friends are online. The digest information is similar to the current output of the /whois command. For each user you will see which program they are using and which channel/game they are in (so long as it's a public channel/game). For Diablo II the name of the game is not revealed (even if it's public).
Mutual Friend (or Close Friend)
Since we want to provide more features to users who trust each other, if users add each other to their friends list they will be considered mutual friends. When enumerating friends, mutual friends will have their channel/game name revealed even if the user is in a private channel/game so that they can always find each other. When mutual friends perform certain actions they may be notified. The current notifications are;
Your friend [account] has entered Battle.net.
Your friend [account] has left Battle.net.
Your friend [account] created a [program] game called [game name]​
Chat Protection /Options (alias: /o)
There are three separate flags, which a user can set to customize which incoming chat messages are ignored.
Whispers - when on, private messages from people who are not in your friends list will be ignored.
/options ignorewhispers (alias: /o igw)
This command will ignore whispers from anyone who isn't in your friends list /options unignorewhispers (alias: /o unigw)
This command will allow whispers from anyone who isn't in your friends list
Public - when on, messages in public channels from people who are not in your friends list will be ignored.
/options ignorepublic (alias: /o igpub) - ignore messages in public chat channels from anyone who isn't in your friends list

/options unignorepublic (alias: /o unigpub) - allow messages in public chat channels from anyone who isn't in you friends list
Private - when on, messages in private channels from people who are not in your friends list will be ignored.
/options ignoreprivate (alias: /o igpriv) - ignore messages in private chat channels from anyone who isn't in your friends list
/options unignoreprivate (alias: /o unigpriv) - allow messages in private chat channels from anyone who isn't in you friends list

This allows users who are interested in playing games instead of reading spam to cut it off permanently as well as providing protection for people who are being harassed by other users.​
Friends commands
/friends (alias /f)
The base command for all friends operations, on its own it prints out help about the friends commands. Alias /f /friends list (alias: /friends l or /f l)
Displays you current friends list and has a summary of what each friend is doing at the moment on Battle.net.
/friends add [accountname] (alias: /friends a)
Adds the specified account name to your friends list. You will receive an error if the account name is an invalid account (contains naughty words etc) or if you have too many friends in your list.
/friends remove [accountname] (alias: /friends r)
Removes the specified account name from your friends list. You will receive an error message if the account isn't in the list.
/friends msg [message] (alias: /friends m)
Sends a message to all of your friends.
/friends promote [accountname] (alias: /friends p)
Promotes the account name in your friends list. If no position is supplied (or is zero) then the friend will be promoted up one place in the list. If the position is supplied then the friend will be moved to that position from the top of the list with number 1 being the highest position.
/friends demote [accountname] (alias: /friends d)
Demotes the account name in your friends list. If no position is supplied (or is zero) then the friend will be demoted one place in the list. If the position is supplied then the friend will be moved to that position from the bottom of the list with number 1 being the lowest position.
Friends Aliases
Just about anyplace in battle.net (including the friends command themselves) you can refer to your friends via a short cut. To use a shortcut use %f[num] where num refers to your friend by their position in you friends list. For example to whisper to your number one friend you would use /msg %f1 hi there
Other Information
When /dnd is activated you will not receive entry notifications from mutual friends.
If you attempt to add a person that is already on your friends list you will receive a notification that the person you are attempting to add is already on your friends list.

Universal Chat Commands
The following commands can be used in any chat channel. For StarCraft, Warcraft II BNE, and Warcraft III players, they can also be used during game setup or while a game is in progress.
/help - (Ex: /help whisper)
Displays usage help for chat topics. /whois [user] - (Ex: /whois TPark)
Looks up some basic information on a user, including their account number and their current location. This is an excellent way to find your friends online. typing /whois #[number] (E.G. /whois #1).
Aliases for this command : /where /whereis
/whoami - (Ex: /whoami) - displays your information on Battle.net.
/w [user] - (Ex: /w JohnS)
Sends a private message to a user online regardless of the channel they are in. This is an excellent way to let a friend know you are online.
Aliases for this command: /msg /whisper
/ignore [user] - (Ex: /ignore BFitch)
Ignores any future messages from that user effectively muting that user to you.
Aliases for this command: /squelch
/unignore [user] - (Ex: /unignore BFitch)
Allows a previously squelched user to talk to you normally.
Aliases for this command: /unsquelch
/away [text] - (Ex: /away eating dinner)
Displays a message that you are away from your keyboard whenever someone whispers to you or does a /whois command on you. To disable this command, use the command again.
/dnd [text] - (Ex: /dnd sorry playing a game with GFraizer)
"Do Not Disturb" - prevents ALL whispers from displaying to your screen. Its use is similar to the /away command. To turn the DND mode off, just type /dnd without a reason. This will prevent people from sending whispers to you while in a game as well. You are still able to see all normal public channel messages.
/who [channel] - (Ex: /who Open Tech Support)
Displays a list of all users in the given channel.
/stats [user] ID - (Ex: /stats DavidN STAR)
Displays the player's Win/Loss/Disconnect record for both normal and Ladder games.
STAR - StarCraft
SEXP - StarCraft Expansion (Brood War)
W2BNE - Warcraft II Battle.net Edition
/users
Displays the number of users currently on Battle.net.
/time
Displays the current Battle.net time.
Note: If you are trying to whisper to someone that has the @ symbol in their name such as work@home you need to add @ to the end of the name for the message to get to the correct person.
Example: /w work@home@USWest Hello work
Chat Room Commands
The following commands can only be used while in a chat room.
/join [channel name] - (Ex: /join Blizzard Tech Support)
Switches to a channel without having to use the channel join screen. Aliases for this command: /channel /me [text] - (Ex: /me is rolling on the floor laughing!)
Displays emotion text, as in "PatN is rolling on the floor laughing!"
Chat Room Operator Commands
The following commands can only be used by channel operators (the person with the gavel
gavel.jpg
).
/designate [user] - (Ex: /designate AlenL)
Selects [user] as the next channel operator when you step down, either by resigning or by leaving the channel. If the channel Operator leaves the channel and has designated more than one person, the last person designated will have ops. /resign
Step down as channel operator and become a normal user again.
/rejoin - (Ex: /rejoin)
makes you rejoin the channel you are currently in.
/kick [user] - (Ex: /kick TwainM)
Kicks a user out of the channel. This is best used as a warning since a kicked user can return at their leisure.
/ban [user] - (Ex: /ban RobertB)
Kicks a user out of the channel and prevents them from returning until the current operator steps down or leaves the channel. This is the most powerful command at an operator's disposal, use it wisely.
/unban [users] - (Ex: /unban RobertB)
Allows a banned user to return to the channel.
Short Cut Commands
CTRL-X
Diablo, StarCraft, and Warcraft II BNE: Cuts the selected text CTRL-C
Diablo, StarCraft, and Warcraft II BNE: Copies the selected text
CTRL-V
Diablo, StarCraft, and Warcraft II BNE: Pastes the selected text
CTRL-A
Diablo, StarCraft, and Warcraft II BNE: Select all text
CTRL-N
Diablo II: Pastes the name you have selected
ALT-N
Diablo, StarCraft, and Warcraft II BNE: Pastes the name you have selected
/d2notify
Diablo II: Toggle channel enter/leave notifications
ALT-V
Diablo, StarCraft, and Warcraft II BNE: Toggle channel enter/leave notifications
ALT-W with user selected
Diablo, StarCraft, Warcraft II BNE: Sends a private message to the selected user.
Aliases for this command: /w /msg /m /whisper
TAB
Diablo II: Cycles through the last 10 commands
StarCraft: Displays the last command then cycles through the users in the current channel.
StarCraft Lingo
  • Bats - Terran Firebats
  • BM - Bad Manner
  • BO - Build Order
  • CC - Command Center
  • Chobo - Korean term for newbie or a newer player
  • Choke - Entrance to a base, usually has an uphill ramp
  • Clone/split - Technique used at the start of the game to assign invididual mineral patches to each peon
  • Comp Stomp - Seven human players creating a game vs. one computer player, common
  • Counter - Counter Attack
  • Def - Defiler
  • Cliff/Cliffing - To place ranged units on a cliff just out of enemy range
  • Cracklings - Zerglings with Adrenal Glands and Metabolic Boost upgrades
  • Depo - Terran Supply Depot
  • Disc - Disconnect from a game or Battle.net
  • Drop - The action of dropping troops from dropships on an unsuspecting enemy
  • DT - Dark Templar
  • Ebay - Terran Engineering Bay
  • Expo - Extra base used for additional resources
  • Gate - Protoss Gateway
  • GG - Good Game
  • GL/HF - Good Luck, Have Fun
  • Goon - Protoss Dragoon
  • Gosu - Korean term for a player with exceptional skill
  • Guard - Zerg Guardian
  • Hasu - Korean term for average or good skill
  • HT - Protoss Hight Templar
  • Lots - Protoss Zealots (occassionally called zlots)
  • Lurk - Zerg Lurker
  • M&M - Marines & Medics
  • Muta/Ling - Zerg strategy comprising of the Mutalings and Zergling unit combo
  • Nat - Natural expansion slot, usually the mineral line closest to player starting position
  • Noob - A new player, often called when not skilled
  • NR - No rush, normally means do not send units to enemy base in the first 5-10 minutes
  • Obs - Protoss Observer or Human spectator in a game
  • Ovies - Zerg Overlords
  • Pool - Zerg Spawning Pool
  • Port - Terran Starport
  • Rax - Terran Barracks
  • Rines - Terran Marines
  • Sair - Protoss Corsair
  • Speedlots - Zealots with Leg Enhancement Upgrade
  • Storm - A spell used by the Protoss High Templar, devastating when used against Zerg
  • SV - Terran Science Vessel
  • Sunk - Zerg Sunken Colony
  • Tank Push - A common TvP or TvT strategy where Siege Tanks move in a leap frog formation with Turrets toward enemy’s base, usually containing opponent
  • Tech - Upgrading technology
  • Turbo Newbie - A Terran strategy which consists of Siege Tanks and Turrets over enemy’s natural expansion mineral spot
  • Ultra - Zerg Ultralisk
  • Valks - Terran Valkyries
  • Vanilla - Term for original Starcraft, pre Brood War

I will definitely be loading the game up on my rig in the coming weeks, but right now I have a lot of other games I would like to play through first. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how well the league comes together, and maybe I will become an active participant.

[quote name='suko_32']I'd be interested, but I gotta go buy the game first. My old one from 5-10 years ago is too scratched up.[/quote]

Same

i think the op needs to update this with a thread of people who are interested and what time we could do this.

[quote name='lordwow']I'll play I guess, as long as we all know I suck and that I can only play on weekends basically.[/QUOTE]Same here. Well, as far as the weekends thing goes. It's been a long time since I played a serious multiplayer game of SC, so I'm quite a bit rusty if anything.

ETA: I can help with putting a site together. My HTML is pretty sharp and hosting it wouldn't be a problem, either :)

I'd be interested if I didn't suck so much... but I'll subscribe to this thread to keep track of it in case I ever reach some level of competence.

Damnit, you bastards. I just recently deleted Starcraft from my computer because I haven't played it in a month or two.

Now I have to redownload and configure it if I'm to join this.

Awesome, I'm glad there are a lot of people interested in doing. I am a little busy right now so I won't be able to update the OP with all of the people who are interested in playing at the moment.

I should be able to update the OP sometime tomorrow. As for playing, it will probably be 3 weeks before I'll be able to play. I'm taking summer courses and it is taking all of my free time up.

[quote name='The Crotch']Three weeks? That's a long wait, but it gives people time to buy the game/get through their backlog/work on their OMFG ZERGLING RUSHES.

I updated my list. It's not in the original post, but it's still something. I'll PM Daroga and Strell to see if they're in.[/quote]
We'll see who the idiot is when I "pwn j00 to teh max"!

I just deleted it because there is a lack of players around my skill level, practically everyone on there is Korean and has been playing since the game first game out. Having a CAG league would remedy that.

I'd prefer some time to practice to get back in a groove - like learn the hotkeys and the like - but I'm down for some SC.

/goes to read this thread since he just got here

Ahh. So it looks like I have some time. Guess I'll practice up. Post in here/PM me if anyone wants to set up fun matches in the meantime.

I have already lost to a computer Terran, but beat a Zerg.

But it is very fun to play once again. I might even restart the campaign just for kicks.

[quote name='The Crotch']Three weeks? That's a long wait, but it gives people time to buy the game/get through their backlog/work on their OMFG ZERGLING RUSHES.

I updated my list. It's not in the original post, but it's still something. I'll PM Daroga and Strell to see if they're in.[/quote]

Yeah these summer classes I'm taking are horrible. I have to go M-F and both classes are 2 1/2 hours long. In one class we are reading one chapter a day in our book and taking a test every friday. Since the classes are only 4 weeks max I really have to stay ontop of things or I'll fall behind fast.

I will be finished with my classes on June 8th and then I'll be free to play. :bouncy:

i'm interested in joining but i have to look for the game first. i misplaced it somewhere. i'll let you know when i found the game and install it

[quote name='The Crotch']I was just about to update my list, but I see Jericho's got it. Make sure to put dude on the "maybe" pile.

Also, are we playing US East or West? I vote West.

Edit: Man, playing the campaign has really been detrimental to my skills. I can't macro worth a damn anymore. My resources keep piling up on me, I've never got enough pylons, and it's taking me way too long to tech. I forgot to make a Stargate until near the very end in my last game against the computer. When I expand, I leave too many of my troops at the main base and bring too few out to the expansion. One time I sent a High Templar to guarantee the new base's security, but I forgot to send one with energy stored up - he couldn't even cast any spells when the Zerg arrived.

I think it's a good thing we didn't play today, Strell. Things are looking a little... sad... for me.

On the plus side, my Dragoons are dancing better than ever. That's gotta be worth something.[/quote]

i'm in the same boat. i forgot all the hotkey commands and units. gotta practice more and relearn the buildings/units before going into battle. i do think i'll be one of the worst ones out there though.

I'm in, I'm actually playing through the Campaign now for nostalgic-sake, but I'm certainly up for tearing through a few CAGs :)

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']I'm in, I'm actually playing through the Campaign now for nostalgic-sake, but I'm certainly up for tearing through a few CAGs :)

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

The campaign is still ridiculously good.

I'll play on USWEST too, I'm in the midwest so either one is fine with me. I lost my broodwar disc so I'm just going to buy the battle chest.

I prefer team games. We could do team and 1v1 tournaments too. As for maps I usually only play on Big Game Hunters. I think another map I play on from time to time is Dire Stratus.

As for making the league, the link I posted in the OP says we are required to have a few things to create a league.

Organizing a League
A potential league provider will have to do the following:
  • Create a database to track players' accounts, passwords, and statistics.
  • Create a website that will respond to the required queries (i.e. login, statistics, replay-file upload).
  • Create league-specific artwork, including four icons and one background image, in a StarCraft-compatible format to be displayed in-game.
  • Provide Blizzard with the information to create and approve a file package ("mopaq").
  • Distribute the league's mopaq along with any league maps, once they have been approved, to players in the league.
Also we may not have to create an actual HTML website. By creating a website they might mean someone will just have to sign up for the website account. http://www.battle.net/info/patch.shtml

[quote name='The Crotch']Eh. The standard non-money-map is Lost Temple, is it not?[/quote]

Maybe it wasn't dire stratus that I play. Is that the one where everyone is on a island type thing? The standard ladder map back in the day is the other map I used to play on other than BGH. Might have been called Lost Temple. Dire Stratus just stuck out for some reason.

How about everyone that wants to get in on this go grab Xfire, too? It sure as hell beats posting in here and PM'ing people to set up matches, since Xifre is instant.

I'd be down for something like this, just need to find my Starcraft CD's. Haven't played in years though.

[quote name='The Crotch']Strell hasn't responded. Let me finish my download and we'll play.

Keeping in mind that I am very rusty - and was never that good to begin with.[/QUOTE]

That's what I like to hear.

GREAT GOOGLI MOOGLIE!!!!!!!!! STARCRAFT fuckING 2!?!?!?

*dies of hard on...*

Er... sure... count me int.

[quote name='The Crotch']Doing so now. It'll take a little while at 2.68 kbps.

Don't worry, my modem's fine for something like Starcraft.[/QUOTE]

Add me when you (finally) finish downloading it ;)

Hell yeah, I'm in. Just gotta find my StarCraft CD....I've found 3 different copies of Broodwar CDs, but I can't find a single copy of original StarCraft...grrrrr.:bomb:

I haven't played in a year or so, but I used to be big into StarCraft. I was a member of a fan site back in the day and I even wrote a few short stories a couple years ago.

And surprise to me, they're still up on the web if anyone wants to check them out on the StarCraft Legacy fansite.

My favorite is this one: Zergling Rush.

I've got a few more short stories in various stages of completion that I just might set aside to finish, now that StarCraft is back on the brain.

I'm in, but I don't have Starcraft installed, much less played a few computers skirmshes to remember what does what.. I never got into Brood War, so it's all new to me.

Stupid question, and I'm sure it does, but Starcraft works on Vista with no problems right?

[quote name='The Crotch']God damn, this thing is getting fucking huge. If everyone in the "maybe" list joins, we're gonna have nearly 30 people.

Trunks, are you in?[/quote]

I said I'm in, get me on the "In" list, Jericho :)

~HotShotX

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm in, but I don't have Starcraft installed, much less played a few computers skirmshes to remember what does what.. I never got into Brood War, so it's all new to me.

Stupid question, and I'm sure it does, but Starcraft works on Vista with no problems right?[/QUOTE]
I've played on Vista and have encountered no problems at all.

[quote name='The Crotch']Not sure how anything works with Vista, but you've certainly missed out on a lot if you haven't played Brood War. All races got a new air-to-air unit (Corsairs, Valkyries, and some expensive fucking thing for the Zerg), a new spellcaster (the Terran Medic makes infantry very powerful, Zerg Defilers neutralize all range-based attacks, and the Protoss Dark Archon obliterates spellcasters), and new stealth units (Zerg Lurker attacks while burrowed, Protoss Dark Templar are no longer Hero units... can't think of anything new for Terrans, though).[/quote]

Terrans got the goliath upgrade instead of another unit. The improved air-to-air range from the upgrade put Goliaths over Guardians when it comes to max range.

~HotShotX

bread's done
Back