Michael Moore - Sicko - Fox News Review - Updated With Video!

Zen Davis

Banned
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFUtAaeYxno[/media]
quote]Filmmaker Michael Moore's brilliant and uplifting new documentary, "Sicko," deals with the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, both real and perceived. But this time around, the controversial documentarian seems to be letting the subject matter do the talking, and in the process shows a new maturity.

Unlike many of his previous films ("Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine," "Fahrenheit 9-11"), "Sicko" works because in this one there are no confrontations. Moore smartly lets very articulate average Americans tell their personal horror stories at the hands of insurance companies. The film never talks down or baits the audience.

"This film is a call to action," Moore said at a press conference on Saturday. "It's also not a partisan film."

Indeed, in "Sicko," Moore criticizes both Democrats and Republicans for their inaction and in some cases their willingness to be bribed by pharmaceutical companies and insurance carriers.

In a key moment in the film, Moore takes a group of patients by boat to the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba because of its outstanding medical care. When they can't get into the U.S. naval base, Moore proceeds onto Havana where the patients are treated well and cheaply.

This has caused a great deal of controversy, with the federal government launching an investigation into the trip, which officials say was in violation of the trade and commerce embargo against the Communist country.

"This administration flaunts the law, flaunts the constitution," Moore said at the press conference, explaining the flap over the trip to Cuba.
Moore now claims the U.S. government says his Cuban footage may be illegal, and Moore said he made a second master copy of "Sicko" and had it shipped it to France immediately just in case of potential government issues.

[/quote]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273875,00.html

Can't wait!

[quote name='musha666']I wonder how many lies and half truths he can pack into this "documentary".[/QUOTE]Did you even read the review?

[quote name='musha666']I wonder how many lies and half truths he can pack into this "documentary".[/quote]

Well, if Fox News (who, let's face it, hates Michael Moore with a passion) goes out and says that his new movie is good, I'm inclined to believe there aren't many lies or half truths. Time will tell, though.

[quote name='musha666']I wonder how many lies and half truths he can pack into this "documentary".[/quote]

Probably just as many as President Bush can pack into a speech. Except in the case of Moore, his films are entertaining if nothing else.

I'll be stunned if Moore made a truly biting documentary, as opposed to linking frayed wires in a way where he says what people want to hear.

[quote name='musha666']I wonder how many lies and half truths he can pack into this "documentary".[/QUOTE]

I normally hate Moore. But it seems this might be decent. Since he's not going to corporate business, and confronting VP of PR that have nothing to do with situations.

[quote name='musha666']I wonder how many lies and half truths he can pack into this "documentary".[/QUOTE]

A life lived through routine knee-jerk reactions is a life well-lived indeed! I'm sure you'll go far...

...Has the country become so stupidly polarized with Us vs Them mentality that we can't even stop to listen to what someone else is saying?

The fact of the matter is that Michael Moore has done far more good than harm, and for that he has my respect. He's helped a lot of people, in some cases possibly even saved their lives (see the Awful Truth episode with the guy who needed a transplant that his HMO refused to cover until Moore called 'em out on it), and he's started poignant national discussions on corporate greed, violence, and political tyranny at times when those debates were almost entirely one-sided.

Not to be too hyperbolic, but he's been one of the few mainstream voices that seems to be genuinely pro-American.

But by all means, carry on working against your own interests. Only watch Fox News or CNN or retreat into the propaganda-cluttered depths of talk radio. Accept press releases wholesale, and for the love of God, don't ever question anything.

[quote name='Scobie']

...Has the country become so stupidly polarized with Us vs Them mentality that we can't even stop to listen to what someone else is saying?

[/QUOTE]

.....yes! :lol:

this sounds good-- he's shedding light on something that not too many people know about, but need to.

like someone said, if Fox news, of all places, gives him a good review, then you know there's something to this film (wow...too many commas.)

I'm excited for this movie. His TV showed had an episode where a patient was denied some type of treatment from his insurance company. The man was going to die and leave a young daughter behind. So Moore had a fake funeral for the man outside the insurance company.
Hopefully this movie can cause an uproar to change atleast some of our healtcare. Cubans get free healtcare and get massages and spa treatments free too. Stress relief would probably help out everyone's health.

And I am shocked that Fox News would say something positive about Moore.

I feel bad for any liberals or democrats here who have this tool on their side, god be with you.

I do have to say though, Sicko looks like it could have a slither of truth in it.

This is one issue in which he has no need to fabricate half-truths or sensationalize. The health care system is very broken, take that from someone who works knee deep in it evey day.

[quote name='Apossum']
this sounds good-- he's shedding light on something that not too many people know about, but need to. [/QUOTE]

Trust me a lot of people know what its like to be screwed by insurance company. Ask your family and friends and I bet you that before the end of the day you'll know of at least 10 people that have been screwed by insurance companies.

CUBA?!

Oh yeah, I'm sure he got access to see the REAL hospitals to see how the REAL patients get treated when tourists aren't around.

He's an effing idiot if he thinks Cuba is the place to go for health care.
I like Castro for a few things, but his treatment of his people isn't one of them.

Wishful thinking on my part, but I hope there's part of the documentary that shows the health care system from the doctor's perspective which shows what stupid hoops we have to jump through just to get basic level of care for our patients.

[quote name='dallow']CUBA?!

Oh yeah, I'm sure he got access to see the REAL hospitals to see how the REAL patients get treated when tourists aren't around.

He's an effing idiot if he thinks Cuba is the place to go for health care.
I like Castro for a few things, but his treatment of his people isn't one of them.[/quote]

I'm not sure if you got the memo, but the cold war is over. You can come back to planet Earth.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I'm not sure if you got the memo, but the cold war is over. You can come back to planet Earth.[/quote]
Haha, I've BEEN to Cuba with my father.
So yeah, go to Hell.

I want free trade with Cuba, but saying Castro treats his people well is a joke.
Ask any recent refugee. Or ask me.

Penn & teller are pretty patriotic ;)
I don't mind Moore too much. As people have said he puts a skew on his docs but I've found them pretty amusing.

[quote name='dallow']I want free trade with Cuba, but saying Castro treats his people well is a joke.
Ask any recent refugee. Or ask me.[/QUOTE]

The issue is the level of medical care and cost of said care; the medical care system. Not Castro coming out of a hovel to lead his people by the hand into a hospital where he screams until each patient is seen.

I'm pretty sure the hospital system isn't directly run by Castro. I'll ask any recent refuge. Or you.

I won't put judgement on his movie, yet. Moore's other notables (Roger & Me, Bowling for Columbine, and Farenheit 9/11) left a lot to be desired. They seemed to be on par with movies like An Inconvient Truth, lots of flash and hyper-editing, which originally had a message but that got lost somewhere along the way. I'll see Sicko eventually, when another side releases a counter to it (such as Farenheit 9/11 and Farenhype 9/11) and make my decision then.

[quote name='Bagel Fuzzynuts']The issue is the level of medical care and cost of said care; the medical care system. Not Castro coming out of a hovel to lead his people by the hand into a hospital where he screams until each patient is seen.

I'm pretty sure the hospital system isn't directly run by Castro. I'll ask any recent refuge. Or you.[/quote]
Everything is government run. And the government, is Castro.
And you can't even begin to imagine the influence Castro has put all around Cuba. You can't walk a more than a few steps before being reminded.
It's amazing how ingrained he is into everything and everyone in Cuba.
It's like nothing we'll ever know living here in the States. Big Brother truly exists there, and people are frightened for the most part.

The level of care is pretty bad, and there are no supplies whatsoever.
People like my dad and uncle, and others in central america routinely send crates and crates of pharmaceutical supplies because they have nothing to treat even the most basic of things.
This goes hand in hand with Castro's unwillingness to care, and the trade embargo.
My uncle makes routine visits just to help in hospitals and local clinics because really, no one else will.

bread's done
Back