Comment on Jaffe only having "two hits."

BHMode.com

CAG Veteran
Alright, this bugged me a little after listening to the latest Podcast. I suppose if you would consider the Twisted Metal series and God of War as his only two hits that would have some truth to it but let's not forget Twisted Metal 1, 2, and Black were all major hits and inspired successful other games such as the Twisted Metal III, 4, Small Brawl, and Head-On which though not nearly as entertaining or fun certainly saw their success in sales. Not only that but Jaffe was able to revive the Twisted Metal series back to it's original greatness with TM: Black, something I never thought would happen and thanks again to Jaffe we are likely to see an entire long term series play out of the God of War franchise. And without Twisted Metal would we have really seen half the Car Combat games we have today? The man practically invented the genre. I would hardly call that just "two hits."

Though Jaffe has been very vocal recently on his blog, fans of the TM series should not be unfamilar with this as he has spoken openly in the past about the 989 Studios fiasco and various other issues on forums such as the one at TMAlliance.com and as far back as 2001 when Black was first being developed. I myself shot him a few e-mails before God of War came out just shooting the shit and he even offered to send me a rare version of TM1 on the PC. This never came to be and I know I'm getting off track but my point is Jaffe is actually a great guy and I predicted his success from back in the day. He has always been this way as far as my experiences have shown so it isn't "star power" or whatever you want to call it going to his head it is just being his vocal loud mouth self. Be that good or bad you have to respect it to a certain degree.

I've always felt the Twisted Metal games were overrated, they have just never appealed to me. What annoys me about Jaffe, isn't about how many games he has successfully put out per se, but rather his attitude that his shit doesn't stink because of said games.

God of War, obviously a masterpiece. And then there is, uh... I guess Mickey Mania was alright? And the already mentioned Twisted Metal.

Yup, I guess he has every right to be an arrogant prick.

If Jaffe's done one thing right, it's quality over quantity. So what if he's only had two hits? That's better than 10 failures.

I think he's overrated. GOW was a platformer with fluidity; no major innovation. I rented it when it came out and finished it in four days without really wanting more. GOW II looked pretty much the same as the original, so I never even rented it. Twisted Metal was cool, but the sequels (except for Twisted Metal II and Black), detracted from the original.

IMO Peter Molyneux (spelling?) is far more innovative and under appreciated. I know being innovative isn't everything. However, the folks over at Bioware and Blizzard produce quality compelling products, without so much innovation.

Just my two cents though. Different things appeal to different people, and maybe Jaffe has a mass-appeal that I simply don't get.

[quote name='BHMode.com']You provide a valueable arguement. I'm sure if it were a game with an androginist main character with spikey hair in which you had to save the world from ANOTHER androginist main character with spikey hair you'd be all over that sucker, huh? :roll:[/quote]
I was only kidding, you moron my friend. :lol:

Haha, how did you come to that conclusion? My avatar, or signature?
I guess you're an obese, pasty white nerd because you play video games and write about them, huh? Look I can make idiotic assumptions about someone I don't know to!

I edited my OP to be a bit more contributing.

I KNOW WHAT THIS THREAD NEEDS

IPYITHAICYAB.jpg

[quote name='yukine']I was only kidding, you moron my friend. :lol:

I guess you're an obese, pasty white nerd because you play video games and write about them, huh? Look I can make idiotic assumptions about someone I don't know to!

I edited my OP to be a bit more contributing.[/quote]Hey, you didn't say my assumptions were incorrect and I've apparently struck a nerve here so I can't be too far off. I however am not an obese, pasty white nerd like you described, but I can recognize a troll when I see one and simply posting that a game sucks just to create an arguement without anyone intelligent feedback to back up your opinion and then conviently changing your response, with yet still no intelligent feedbeck, when you know you're wrong is trolling. It's okay to not like something, but presenting your opinion as fact is pretty damn retarded. That's all.

A lot of popular games do not appeal to me either (like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Halo) but I can still recognize their importance. Twisted Metal has to one of the most misunderstood franchises around today and that's mostly due to Jaffe not being involved in the "bad games" (TMIII, TM4, TM:SB, TM:HO) that everyone seems to remember above the classics.

[quote name='yukine']I was only kidding, you moron my friend. :lol:

I edited my OP to be a bit more contributing.[/quote]Hey, you didn't say my assumptions were incorrect and I've apparently struck a nerve here so I can't be too far off. I however am not an obese, pasty white nerd like you described, but I can recognize a troll when I see one and simply posting that a game sucks just to create an arguement without anyone intelligent feedback to back up your opinion and then conviently changing your response, with yet still no intelligent feedbeck, when you know you're wrong is trolling. It's okay to not like something, but presenting your opinion as fact is pretty damn retarded. That's all.

A lot of popular games do not appeal to me either (like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Halo) but I can still recognize their importance. Twisted Metal has to be one of the most misunderstood franchises around today and that's mostly due to Jaffe not being involved in the "bad games" (TMIII, TM4, TM:SB, TM:HO) that everyone seems to remember above the classics.

[quote name='BHMode.com']Hey, you didn't say my assumptions were incorrect and I've apparently struck a nerve here so I can't be too far off. I however am not an obese, pasty white nerd like you described, but I can recognize a troll when I see one and simply posting that a game sucks just to create an arguement without anyone intelligent feedback to back up your opinion and then conviently changing your response, with yet still no intelligent feedbeck, when you know you're wrong is trolling. It's okay to not like something, but presenting your opinion as fact is pretty damn retarded. That's all.

A lot of popular games do not appeal to me either (like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Halo) but I can still recognize their importance. Twisted Metal has to be one of the most misunderstood franchises around today and that's mostly due to Jaffe not being involved in the "bad games" (TMIII, TM4, TM:SB, TM:HO) that everyone seems to remember above the classics.[/QUOTE]

I would tend to agree with you, everyone usually remembers the terrible twisted metals that have come in recent years and not the original two that made the series great. I think that God of War did alot of things well, it didnt take any one feature to the next level but it was still an enjoyable experience with good controls and gameplay.

[quote name='BHMode.com']Hey, you didn't say my assumptions were incorrect and I've apparently struck a nerve here so I can't be too far off. I however am not an obese, pasty white nerd like you described, but I can recognize a troll when I see one and simply posting that a game sucks just to create an arguement without anyone intelligent feedback to back up your opinion and then conviently changing your response, with yet still no intelligent feedbeck, when you know you're wrong is trolling. It's okay to not like something, but presenting your opinion as fact is pretty damn retarded. That's all.

A lot of popular games do not appeal to me either (like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Halo) but I can still recognize their importance. Twisted Metal has to be one of the most misunderstood franchises around today and that's mostly due to Jaffe not being involved in the "bad games" (TMIII, TM4, TM:SB, TM:HO) that everyone seems to remember above the classics.[/quote]
Sorry to break it to you, but you were quite far off. Note the "Haha", I found it quite humorous, hence my reason for responding with something equally ridiculous.

Ahem, anyway. I recognize the importance that Twisted Metal has had on video games, I never said anything about the series not having some impact. Nevertheless, that doesn't stop me from not liking them. I'm only stating my opinion, you're the one taking it as fact. And for that, I thank you. ;)

Also, I'm pretty sure what they meant was that Jaffe has only had two "hits" as in, two hit series. God of War is one, and Twisted Metal is the other.

[quote name='yukine']Sorry to break it to you, but you were quite far off. Note the "Haha", I found it quite humorous, hence my reason for responding with something equally ridiculous.

Ahem, anyway. I recognize the importance that Twisted Metal has had on video games, I never said anything about the series not having some impact. Nevertheless, that doesn't stop me from not liking them. I'm only stating my opinion, you're the one taking it as fact. And for that, I thank you. ;)

Also, I'm pretty sure what they meant was that Jaffe has only had two "hits" as in, two hit series. God of War is one, and Twisted Metal is the other.[/quote]...whatever, let's just not argue. I just find it to be an incredible understatement that God of War and Twisted Metal are his only hits. I'm not really defending his rants, but in this industry it has become more acceptable to speak your mind than in other places in entertainment. That and Sony must know Jaffe's importance.

twisted metal 2 was one of my fave games of all time. it was amazing. jaffe had more than 2 hits. if you havent played his older games, then you're missing out. he's an incredible game designer.

would you rather make a few gems or make a ton of trash? hmm??

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Apparently because people make games, they're not allowed to have an opinion.[/quote]

Having an opinion is one thing. Using the F-bomb every other word to make your points and coming off as an arrogant prick is another. I would hate if Miyamoto acted like this, and he at least has earned it. Jaffe doesn't have the pedigree to act like an ass for very much longer without releasing another blockbuster title.

bread's done
Back