Geometry wars Galaxies

[quote name='-Never4ever-']How the hell does it seem perfect for touchscreen? It was perfect for two analouge sticks, however.[/quote]

I'm wondering the same thing. It is PERFECT on the 360 controller and as a game that is 1000% reliant on its control scheme to even function properly I'm very wary of it being ported to other systems. I don't even think it would play right on a dual shock.

I've played a freeware clone of this on the pc. I imagine it would control similar to that. You move around with the dpad and use the stylus to control where you shoot.

I'd love a linkup bwetween this and the Wii version to allow for a Pac-Man Vs. setup. One person shooting on the TV, the other person using the DS touch screen to control the spawns.

[quote name='LarryGe']Yay, geometry wars is coming to ds and wii. Seems perfect for the touchscreen.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=18254[/QUOTE]
How does it seem perfect? I really don't see how using touch screen for geo wars would be perfect. We would still have to deal with the "blocking hand". And if shooting was made solely up to the dpad, I would think there would be problems, more specifically with the diagonals. I hope this game doesn't go above the 14.99 mark. Maybe even the 10 mark.

Now if the shooting was done with the stylus and moving around with the dpad, I suppose that would be ok, however there would still be that blocking issue when aiming to the top left for righties, and top right for lefties. Unless it's like starfox or metroid where the aiming is done away from the action screen, which was always awkward for me.

http://www.binaryzoo.com/ is the web site where you can download some of their PC games. I first played mono, which is kind of like Geometry Wars. It's good stuff and free, so download it now :) They have a couple of other games out. I only played mono and duo, but preferred mono, YMMV.

GW:DS has to have d-pad control for movement and shooting with the stylus. Anything else would be a mistake. At the right price and right feature-set this could be a killer game.

If this comes out at the same time Nanostray2 does I could have a very difficult decision on my hands.

[quote name='iamthekiller']anybody pick this up yet?[/QUOTE]

Wondering the same thing. I'd like to hear some reviews and feedback on it.

[quote name='catapult37']doesn't the wii version let you beam a demo of the DS game to your DS? try it out that way and let us know how it is![/quote]

ok. I'll prolly snag a copy from work to take home tonight and try it out. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']This is good to hear. I've always thought Geometry Wars looked fun.[/quote]

It is.

Somebody give me a hint when this game will be out. I could have sworn it said sometime in Novemember somewhere around EGM. But it might as well be the beginning of December, already.

I just cant get myself to pay $40 for a wii game that originated from an $10 XBLA game. This game should be $20 tops.

Actually, it was a five-dollar XBLA title, but your point is well taken. And for a retail copy, given what I've read about it, I think $29.99 is a 'fair' price. Of course, it's ten dollars more than that.

Personally, I'm banking on it making the jump to XBLA* (and now maybe even PSN??) within the first half of '08, as I'm pretty sure they won't want to pass up the opportunity to serve/swindle thousands upon thousands of non-Wii-owning Retro Evolved fans. Also: HD, Achievements, and a controller that the game's controls were tweaked to perfection for.

*--Anyone want to present at least one solid reason why it won't eventually?

[quote name='jollydwarf']I just cant get myself to pay $40 for a wii game that originated from an $10 XBLA game. This game should be $20 tops.

Actually, it was a five-dollar XBLA title, but your point is well taken. And for a retail copy, given what I've read about it, I think $29.99 is a 'fair' price. Of course, it's ten dollars more than that.

Personally, I'm banking on it making the jump to XBLA* (and now maybe even PSN??) within the first half of '08, as I'm pretty sure they won't want to pass up the opportunity to serve/swindle thousands upon thousands of non-Wii-owning Retro Evolved fans. Also: HD, Achievements, and a controller that the game's controls were tweaked to perfection for.

*--Anyone want to present at least one solid reason why it won't eventually?[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but a couple of reasons as to why it might not (i) maybe it is too big for the XBLA size limits (but I doubt that); (ii) maybe the big N shelled out some cash to keep it exclusive - lord knows they have the $$, but i doubt Nintendo would do that; (iii) XBLA will get their "own" unique version of the game, basically the same game, but with a different name or something to try to keep fanboys from getting all mad...

As long as it's pretty close, that's all I care about. If it hasn't been announced by, oh, June, I'll probably get the Wii version. So then the XBLA announcement will come the day after I bust open the shrinkwrap. No matter when I get it, it will be the day after.

I have the Wii version and can't stop playing it. I use the classic controller and it works pretty well. Not as good as a 360 controller but it works. Each one of the galaxies is different. Different layouts, different requirements, etc. The part I like the most is your drone ship that helps you out and the more you use it the better that drone reacts. My favorite drones right now is the Collect or Sweep drone.

The Wifi leaderboard is a little lame since you manually have to transmit each score up.

I highly suggest.

Picked up the DS version 2 nights ago, and I'm addicted (almost as bad as puzzle quest when it first came out)

Can't stop playing, thumb hurts... mm... must go on :drool:

Control with D pad + fire using stylus or A B X Y.

The campaign mode really makes this worth the extra money, lots of scores to achieve. Also like the fact that the original mode is there and available to play.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but it does have single cartridge multi-play so I will try it out with the GF a little later this week.

Man I hope you cats are sleeping on this. And your thumb shouldn't be hurting from playing this game. You are just putting too much pressure on yourself. Just hold the DS in one hand as normal and use your right hand's pinky and ring finger to cradle the ds and the other fingers to use the stylus. Strain free.

So yeah this game is addictive as hell. My personal favorite stages are (described), "Power Washing Machine", "Waves of Enemies From Either The Left or Right Side Of The Red Colored Stage", and any stage with fixed barriers. And in a way, since the DS can't do Wii or 360 graphics, it actually helps to have slow down and no crazy special effects so you can see.

Turret is godlike.

I've been playing this during my "free" time.* And it is....SO.....fun. I can imagine spending hours upon hours with this game. Other than the strain on my hands when I play without some support from my knee or something, it's great.

* It's the end of semester, so there's no such thing as "free" time.

rented this, played for about 15 minutes and wanted to throw the game out the window. it felt like my wrists were being crammed into a vice while somebody was simultaneously kicking me in the nuts

[quote name='iamthekiller']rented this, played for about 15 minutes and wanted to throw the game out the window. it felt like my wrists were being crammed into a vice while somebody was simultaneously kicking me in the nuts[/quote]

Ahh, that reminds me of my wedding night.

I got it, if anyone wants a quick review.

You control the "ship" with the D-Pad, and you use the stylus to control what direction it aims in. The bottom screen has a central dot, and the ship screen is the top. You'll actually see a laser beam from your ship showing you the direction you're firing, as well as an actual recticle showing you where exactly your stylus is in relation to the ship. You hit L shoulder to do a nuke.

The control scheme works very well, but it's not as precise as a dual analog set up. They could've put the gamescreen on the touchscreen, but your hand would obscure half the game field. Still, I think it works, and it's definitely the best a portable edition of the game would get at this point.

I've only tried the Xbox-style game, haven't tried the new mode yet. It's pretty fun although sometimes it's hard to see what can actually hurt you since the ships exlpode into so many parts.

The game also connects to WiFi scoreboards as well.

You can switch the displays (so the action is on the bottom screen) in the Options menu. But just like you guessed, it's even more of a hassle than with it up top due to a large portion of the screen being blocked (and of course, enemies come from all sides). So I just keep it up. Once you get used to the the controls, it's a lot of fun, though.

Grabbed this on a whim with a gift card, and I'm glad I did. This game is incredibly addictive, and I think they found a great way to expand the game without altering the core gameplay.

I'm using a pen stylus, so my hands don't really get cramped anymore, I tried using the regular one and couldn't stand it.

I bought it in a post-Christmas "screw it, I might as well buy something for myself" daze and loved the purchase. I have a retractable stylus and my hands were hurting the first few times I played, but I soon got used to it. You just need to work the muscles out, I guess. It's a great game to pick up and play and one of those games that I will always have in my rotation.

I love this as pick up and drop game between one of my deeper games. But I wouldn't call this game as being short unless you only play on planets with gold medal score of under 6-7 mil. You can spend hours getting multiple billion point scores on some planets.

Currently I have #1 on three planets and #7 overall :)

I recommend the Wii version myself. Same game, less wrist-raping control scheme, and the Wii can handle the screen warping graphics, so the levels look a LOT more impressive.

[quote name='strikeratt']I'm loving it except for one small problem.

I have about 6 hours of game time in one level alone and I just can't die :([/QUOTE]

Die on purpose when you pass the #1 high score on wifi or can't stand it and play some crazier levels.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I recommend the Wii version myself. Same game, less wrist-raping control scheme, and the Wii can handle the screen warping graphics, so the levels look a LOT more impressive.[/QUOTE]

Is the joints which connects my fingers to the palm that aches not the wrist. Are you seriously recommending the Wii version over the Xbox?

[quote name='strikeratt']I'm loving it except for one small problem.

I have about 6 hours of game time in one level alone and I just can't die :([/quote]

Let me guess - you are on the 2nd level of the first galaxy? Best stage to drone level up.

[quote name='laaj']Is the joints which connects my fingers to the palm that aches not the wrist. Are you seriously recommending the Wii version over the Xbox?[/quote]

Same thing. The Wiimote point works as well as it does elsewhere, so you know if you can take it.

Then again, I use the Classic Controller.

Of course I recommend the Wii version over the Xbox because the Xbox doesn't have Galaxies, only the original, one level Geometry Wars.

Which is included in its entirety in GWG.

bread's done
Back