Official Haze Discussion Thread

NamPaehc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Word on the street is that this is a PS3 exclusive now. Not so sure if it is only a timed one or if it will only appear on the PS3 OR if it is even true... yet.

Offical Website.

03.jpg

Ign Preveiw. May 22, '07

IGN Video section

More images and gameplay videos from UbiDays.
May 23, '07

Kotaku Impressions + images/videos May 23, '07

"Mantel Corp website"

Mantel Corp. Weaponry

* Wilson KV-5 Pistol - built-in laser sight and carries 18 round in the magazine.

* JN-402 Anti-Personnel Assault Rifle - fires armour-piercing depleted-Uranium shells. Can be seen in use in the second set of shots.

* JN34-A (Rifle/SMG?) - only seen in the early screenshots, this weapon has a 70-round capacity and may be able to be fitted with a scope. Possibly a sub-machine gun, assault rifle or maybe an AR/shotgun combo.

* F-387 Rocket Launcher - looks like a single-shot weapon, with a fold-out screen allowing a missile-eye view of the target in flight.

* Grenades - only seen in screenshots (HUD) and mentioned in previews, these look like regular HE pinapples at present.

FAQ, more after going to this link.

HAZE Q&A with Rob Yescombe, Script Writer; Derek Littlewood, Team Leader and Steve Ellis, Director of Free Radical

When will the game HAZE be available?

[DL] HAZE will release in fall 2007.

Who is developing the game?
[DL] HAZE is being developed by Free Radical Design - the company behind the critically acclaimed TimeSplitters series. Ubisoft is the publisher of HAZE.
5/26
Late update, but here is cam footage of gameplay from Ubi Days.

5/29
Dev Interview

The game of Haze is set over a three-day period, and Doak stated that while the game will have advanced A.I. to play alongside you, Haze is all about cooperative play. “If you play online, to me, it’s always the cooperative kills are always the things you remember, or the cooperative f***-ups.” As you play four-player cooperative, if someone drops out an A.I. character will take over. Whether or not you’ll then be able to swap someone else in automatically, or have some sort of drop-in-drop-out cooperative isn’t clear at the moment, and Free Radical is still wrestling with the PlayStation Network to see if it can handle it. >>More info at link above

Thanks NamPaehc :)

i kinda start off the Haze thread, but got no replies. I guess, i didn't put out enough pics and links.

It's cool game IMO, of course, it's pretty much a Halo for PS3 and i'm not complaining.

Isn't this the game that they said couldn't be done on a console... if so; then I can't wait to see how well it turns out for the ps3, and

[quote name='NamPaehc']Word on the street is that this is a PS3 exclusive now. Not so sure if it is only a timed one or if it will only appear on the PS3 OR if it is even true... yet.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171219.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

The PS3 is the "lead platform" in 2007, presumably with PC and 360 to follow next year.

I'd guess that Free Radical was looking at a fall/winter release date and knew that going up against an 800 lb gorilla on the 360 was a bad idea ... so why not release it then on a platform that doesn't have a Halo they need to worry about, and next year on the 360, once Halo is giving other shooters some breathing room? A pretty good plan on their part.

Yeah its looken really good, can't wait to see it and mannn I gotta get a PS3 my parents are to p00r to get me one.:bomb:

[quote name='PhySx`']Yeah its looken really good, can't wait to see it and mannn I gotta get a PS3 my parents are to p00r to get me one.:bomb:[/QUOTE]
work more hour ^__^; LOL

[quote name='Thomas96']Isn't this the game that they said couldn't be done on a console... if so; then I can't wait to see how well it turns out for the ps3, and[/QUOTE]

That would be Crysis, not Haze. At first I thought this was one of those over-rated games people talk about but damn when I saw the video, it looks almost as good as Crysis.

I think I read somewhere about this game having 4 player co-op. That alone has me sold. Timesplitters was definitely one of my favorite series of last gen, so that doesn't hurt either.

[quote name='dpatel']I think I read somewhere about this game having 4 player co-op. That alone has me sold. Timesplitters was definitely one of my favorite series of last gen, so that doesn't hurt either.[/quote]

YEP! 4 player ONLINE co-op.

wow that looks really good

and i am totally down with online co-op. I've always liked to play shooters with friends in story mode instead of just killing each other, but unfortunately never came across many games that were like that. Only fps game I can remember playing online co-op ever was Blood on the PC. I would say Resistance co-op but that doesn't count since co-op can only be done on the same machine.

[quote name='NamPaehc']YEP! 4 player ONLINE co-op.[/QUOTE]

wait, wait, wait.. 4 player online co-op?!?!!? *Joygasms*

By that, do you mean, 4 people on one console, all going online? If so, I am freakin psyched! I really wish more games would allow co-op. It's like developers don't think we like to play with other people.

I haven't seen the video, but I am sure it looks no where near as damn perfect as Crysis does.

That being said, I'm only interested in how the co-op thing works out, as it'd be nice to play with a couple friends.

[quote name='dpatel']wait, wait, wait.. 4 player online co-op?!?!!? *Joygasms*

By that, do you mean, 4 people on one console, all going online? If so, I am freakin psyched! I really wish more games would allow co-op. It's like developers don't think we like to play with other people.[/quote]

I saw the video he is talking about, I'll track it down later to make sure the details are right. Got this off the offical boards from a poster there:

In one of the new videos, Neko says that it'll be 4 player co-op via online, LAN, split-screen and a combination of all of them, and also 24 player online.

You're probably right. I really haven't been keeping up with the game, I just didn't know that was a feature too. Pretty cool stuff.

The fact that this game is even comparable to Crysis is good for the PS3. If this game looks this good, then I don't see a reason why Killzone can't look just as good, if not better. Seeing HAZE, sets a new standard for FPS games on the PS3. I can't wait to see the comparison between HAZE, CRYSIS, KILLZONE 2, AND HALO 3.

I am glad to hear that they completely ditched their previous gen engine and ideas. I hope this game bears no resemblance to the Timesplitters aiming system, which even though being one of my favorite FPS franchises in last gen, was archaic and far too arcadey.

Free Radical is awesome, however correct me if I'm wrong, but they have always been a rather small development studio. I hope having to up their size of the development studio to create next-gen games hasn't tarnished their ability to create games that ooze with personality, humor, or in this instance the issue of morality and warfare.

Crysis is certainly better, but I'm really surprised by how well Haze holds it's own.

Very nice!

EDIT:

I should add that even though I haven't seen Haze in motion.
I'm sure it's NOTHING next to Crysis.

So, there's that.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']has this been posted?

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=80898

Free Radical has always been the top console FPS maker forever pretty much.[/quote]

I'll add to top in a second.

I wish more people would pay attention to this game. This is our "halo/killzone" for this year. It'll be out on the 360 much later, but while they have their shooter we'll have this one and it look pretty darn good. Just look at who is making it, plus the co-op/multiplayer... I think this is going to be a good starting part for shooter fans reving up for Unreal and Killzone here on the PS3.

Anyone know how many it'll support split screen?

Four player co-op if done well, makes this an instant buy for me. Even better if they can get four players on one screen. The only other shooter this gen with four player co-op was GRAW and PDZ multiplayer against bots, and even then GRAW ran really poorly split screen, and PDZ was only an okay game overall.

I wasn't very interested in the gimmick of nectar in the game, but if they nail down the shooter aspect, then add the nectar functionality it could be good. However, in early previews they focused too much on the gimmick of nectar making the game sound a little too.

Because the way they're promoting the co-op and AI now, along with the jungle-like environments, I'm kind of getting a Vietcong (the pc game) vibe from it. The game had some great AI teammates and jungle fighting, along with co-op hunt gameplay. No doubt there'll be city fighting.

One thing I'm concerned about, and I think this is kind of the studio style, is that when you shoot an enemy and hit, he doesn't react all that much to it. In other games, they recoil from the hit (usually by playing or blending in a recoil animation), giving you time to exploit that, especially if you're fighting multiple enemies at once. It also takes a good number of hits to drop an enemy too. Combine those two issues it it often seems like it takes too much fire to kill someone.

Edit: Nevermind, saw on the video that it should support 2 player split screen, along with any combination of online and lan co-op. Hells yeah. I know my friend is getting a PS3 too, so 4 player co-op on hard difficulty on two seperate screens, two players a screen. Should be awsome.

I didn't realize until now that Haze was developed by Free Radical. You know what that means, kids? Butter smooth 60 frames per second. TimeSplitters games ran incredibly well on the previous generation consoles. I am now officially excited about this game.

I have never heard of this game before. Screenshots look outstanding, and there's a solid developer behind it.

If this is another example of "PS3 has no games," then I'll have another helping of *that*, thankyouverymuch.

Haze being a timed exclusive for PS3 is good for Haze dev team, because, they can't release that game on 360 while Halo 3 is being released. Halo 3 is going to rule the FPS market on the 360 for a couple of months, but by waiting until March 08 to release the game, at least by then Halo 3 sales will have fallen off, and the market will be ready for another FPS game. Plus the PS3 gets an exclusive title for the holiday season.

Now I know what felt wrong about the videos shown, the characters all feel a little floaty, like they have no weight or interia. It's not just the animations, but how they just start and stop. Of course, that's a polish issue towards the end.

Once again, let me say their call to fame will be the four player co-op, unless these other high profile games also have it.

The "play dead" mechanic in multiplayer seems like it will get annoying after awhile.

Hopefully, it's implemented well.

[quote name='Vanigan']Once again, let me say their call to fame will be the four player co-op, unless these other high profile games also have it.[/QUOTE]

Yep. The ONLY reason I am getting this game. FPSs aren't my thing, but adding co-op to them, makes them great fun. Only FPS that did this before Haze was Project Eden (too bad the game sucked), AFAIK.

Make sure to grab the trailer from the EU store as well, it's almost all gameplay footage, but the US trailer is cool too story wise.

I'm still not that interested, but the trailers are making me keep a lookout on future developments.

[quote name='dallow']I'm gonna need some buddies for the 4 player co-op.[/QUOTE]

I like how at the end of the diary they state how much they want it to be a standout on the PS3, which I think it will be for all PS3 owners.

Although part of the reason why they launched this on the PS3 first is that Halo 3 on the 360 will drown out Haze, regardless if it's a good game.

Also Halo 3 recently announced 4 player co-op, so one of Haze's big bullet points isn't so big anymore.

That mainly leaves the gameplay, which I hope is good.

Makes me excited about Halo 3. I hope more FPS games catch on, and start adding 4 player co-op. Co-op is the only way I'd really touch a FPS (I'm not a fan of the genre).

I like how Haze also emphasizes the significance of private military corporations in the future (must like MGS4).

I'd like to hear more about how both were built (single/co-op modes for Halo/Haze). Haze seems like it has always had more of the squad based gameplay in mind (NPCs/Player) where Halo never really had that in the past.

This game looks really good. I can't wait to have some sweet UT3 and Haze FPS action this winter on me PS3.

Haze, Unreal Tournament 3(with kb/m and PC mod support), Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Time Crisis 4, Socom Confrontation, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Lair and Pro Evo Soccer 08(with PS3 as the lead platform, as well as an easy way for fans to make custom real rosters).

Not to mention multiplatform stuff; Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, NBA 2k8 and Devil May Cry 4.

And don't forget the LittleBigPlanet and Metal Gear Online betas.

Skills rundown.

With a seemingly endless amount of high-profile games coming out in the next few months, it’s easy to lose track of every single last title that looked good to you at one point in time or another. There’s a chance that you might have overlooked Free Radical Design’s (TimeSplitters series, Second Sight) upcoming first-person shooter for PlayStation 3, Haze.

The focus on Haze thus far has been more about the game’s narrative and less about actual gameplay. That’s all going to change though, with a look at some of the abilities you’ll have at your disposal -- after the break, of course.

If you are completely clueless about Haze’s storyline, here’s a quick (quick being the keyword) recap of what we know so far: you play as Shane Carpenter, a soldier for the private military corporation, Mantel Global Industries. You and your allies have access to the nutritional supplement, Nectar, to help you eradicate a rebel faction known as the Promise Hand while in South America.

It is already known that at some point during the game, Carpenter will make the switch from Mantel to the Promise Hand. Because Mantel soldiers are supplied with the mind-altering drug, Nectar, their sense of reality is skewed -- they cannot see blood and to them, dead bodies appear to fade away – much like something you’d expect to see in a video game. So when Shane Carpenter does eventually discover the truth and become a rebel warrior, war suddenly becomes less glamorous and a hell of a lot more realistic.

The ever-friendly Rob Yescombe from Free Radical describes Haze as “two games in one box,” because the skills available to the Promise Hand and Mantel soldiers are so very different from one another.

The Mantel skills:

* • Nectar Perception: you’ll be able to spot rebels even in the darkest parts of the environment
* • Nectar Focus: allows you to pull off incredible head-shots from long distances away
* • Nectar Foresight: gives you a heightened sense of things, e.g., nearby grenades emit a warning in the form of a ripple effect before exploding onto you
* • Melee Blast: send rebels flying with an overly-powerful strike

The Promise Hand skills:

* • Weapon Steal: punch a Mantel soldier to stun him, then steal his gun before he knows what hit him
* • Play Dead: because Mantel troops can’t see blood or death, rebels can play dead and perform sneak attacks
* • Scavenge: recalibrate any type of ammo to work with your gun
* • Traps: plant grenades in the ground as a special surprise for your enemies
* • Evade: without a Mantel suit to weigh you down, you’ll be able to roll, duck, and dive to avoid being shot

As a Promise Hand, you must use all of your cunning to exploit the Mantel soldier’s behavior. Besides using the skills listed above, you will also be able to directly use Nectar against them. Here’s how:

* • Nectar Grenade: rip the Nectar pack off of a dead soldier and strap it onto a grenade. The resulting blast will cause your target to overdose
* • Nectar Knife: smear Nectar from your newly created grenade onto a knife and hit a Mantel soldier with it by either throwing it at him or by performing a melee attack to make him overdose
* • Nectar Pack Shot: shoot the Nectar Pack on the back of a Mantel trooper to cause it to pump too much Nectar into his bloodstream resulting in an overdose

If you’re wondering whether or not these abilities will make it into the multiplayer modes, the answer is yes. This will hopefully provide for two completely different playing styles and some memorable matches against your buddies.

Haze will be out on PlayStation 3 this November, and will later be available for Xbox 360 and PC in 2008.

bread's done
Back