I Disagree With Lots of stuff in the Latest Podcast!

SisterYO

CAG Veteran
First of all, I think its rediculous to state that Calling All Cars isn't worth $10. Wombat's two criticisms are each flawed. First of all, four levels is plenty. This game is based on basket ball games, so the enviornment isn't really that important. Its like asking for more types of fields in a sports game. The gameplay comes primarily from tryng to get your criminal through the "hoop" if you will. The online game completely speaks to this, as I've played multiple games on it at this point, without getting sick of a map once. Wombat's second criticism, "give me a reason to use different cars" is just unfounded. The cars are different, have different sizes and qualities such as varying amounts of boost. Wombat apparently hasn't played this game enough-if at all-to know any better.

Second of all, I pretty shocked you think Uncharted is Tomb Raider with a man. I mean first of all, the graphics are amazing-enough to note some impressions of. They're wickedly lush, and the characters animate beautifully. How is there a suggestioin that either the gun play or hand to hand combat (by the way there isn't any hand to hand combat in Tomb Raider) will be bad? The action all looks great, and it looks wrapped in an interesting story. I don't think I ever saw Lara Croft with a documenting side kick. I think you guys are being delusional and giving people more reasons to question your credibility.

[quote name='SisterYO']First of all, I think its rediculous to state that Calling All Cars isn't worth $10. Wombat's two criticisms are each flawed. First of all, four levels is plenty. This game is based on basket ball games, so the enviornment isn't really that important. Its like asking for more types of fields in a sports game. The gameplay comes primarily from tryng to get your criminal through the "hoop" if you will. The online game completely speaks to this, as I've played multiple games on it at this point, without getting sick of a map once. Wombat's second criticism, "give me a reason to use different cars" is just unfounded. The cars are different, have different sizes and qualities such as varying amounts of boost. Wombat apparently hasn't played this game enough-if at all-to know any better.

Second of all, I pretty shocked you think Uncharted is Tomb Raider with a man. I mean first of all, the graphics are amazing-enough to note some impressions of. They're wickedly lush, and the characters animate beautifully. How is there a suggestioin that either the gun play or hand to hand combat (by the way there isn't any hand to hand combat in Tomb Raider) will be bad? The action all looks great, and it looks wrapped in an interesting story. I don't think I ever saw Lara Croft with a documenting side kick. I think you guys are being delusional and giving people more reasons to question your credibility.[/QUOTE]

OH NO, SOMEBODY IS STATING AN OPINION CONTRARY TO YOUR OWN!! STOP THE PRESSES!

Have you played Uncharted?
And what credibility? It's two run of the mill guys doing a great podcast, enjoy it for what it is.

Amp down.

Uncharted Drakes Fortune is the only game on my list at the moment for reasons I want a PS3 at some point and I agree that is Tomb Raider with a guy. I mean Tomb Raider is basically Indiana Jones with a chick. And this completes the circle bringing it back to a guy.

As for calling all cars I play games on PC so I dont care about wierd casual console games. I play games on console that I cant get on PC.

CAC is not finished? What the bunnies?

Its not worth the money? You pay cupcakes for Nintendo games.

4 MAPS
15+ Cars
Multiplayer
Split Screen: up to 4 PLAYERS

And that isnt worth 10 bucks?

You are silly wombat.

You do pay 10 dollars for the mage quest addon for oblivion.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']CAC is not finished? What the fuck?

Its not worth the money? You pay fucking 5 bucks for Nintendo games and you complain about CAC?

4 MAPS
15+ Cars
Multiplayer

fuck you wombat.

Go play with your 10 dollar mage quest addon for oblivion.[/QUOTE]

... you need to grow up

[quote name='DarkNessBear']CAC is not finished? What the fuck?

Its not worth the money? You pay fucking 5 bucks for Nintendo games and you complain about CAC?

4 MAPS
15+ Cars
Multiplayer

fuck you wombat.

Go play with your 10 dollar mage quest addon for oblivion.[/QUOTE]

no need for expletives, I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours, 4 levels and one car with multiple skins seems kinda bare bones to me, thats all.
Although you did kinda get me on the Oblivion comment, touche'

i guess it's a pittsburgh thing...I understand Wombat, but I will agree or disagree when I get a chance to play the game..

[quote name='Wombat']no need for expletives, I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours, 4 levels and one car with multiple skins seems kinda bare bones to me, thats all.
Although you did kinda get me on the Oblivion comment, touche'[/quote]
Sorry for being so rude.

You are entitled to your opinion. I just get frusturated by the lack of support for CAC. Its a great game, and there arent many people on it atm. What we dont need is more people being scared away from it.

Its alot of fun Online and with friends and I think thats what matters, and i'd like more people to play against!

(edited my original post. to be more friendly. )

[quote name='Wombat']no need for expletives, I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours, 4 levels and one car with multiple skins seems kinda bare bones to me, thats all.
Although you did kinda get me on the Oblivion comment, touche'[/quote] Well I didn't use any expletives. I don't see where you're getting this idea that there's only one car in the game with multiple skins-they do function differently. Like the little green car is very quick and makes tight turns-where as I think its be big pick up truck thats more lumbering. You can tell for instance by the size of the little boost bottle in the corner of the screen.

[quote name='crazytalkx']OH NO, SOMEBODY IS STATING AN OPINION CONTRARY TO YOUR OWN!! STOP THE PRESSES!

Have you played Uncharted?
And what credibility? It's two run of the mill guys doing a great podcast, enjoy it for what it is.[/quote]
I think regardless of how "run of the mill" the hosts are, there are more important qualities that make a great podcast-ie. how capable they are of insight, how level headed their logic is, the lack of bias in their opinions. No one wants to listen to someone spout out their opinion for no other reason than to be a pundit.

I think she would disagree

rosie.jpg

[quote name='SisterYO']First of all, I think its rediculous to state that Calling All Cars isn't worth $10. Wombat's two criticisms are each flawed. First of all, four levels is plenty. This game is based on basket ball games, so the enviornment isn't really that important. Its like asking for more types of fields in a sports game. The gameplay comes primarily from tryng to get your criminal through the "hoop" if you will. The online game completely speaks to this, as I've played multiple games on it at this point, without getting sick of a map once. Wombat's second criticism, "give me a reason to use different cars" is just unfounded. The cars are different, have different sizes and qualities such as varying amounts of boost. Wombat apparently hasn't played this game enough-if at all-to know any better.

[/QUOTE]

OK, so I re-listened to what I said on the show, and I did say that I liked the game about 4 times, but as someone who spent 10 dollars of their own money this game does not, for me, seem worth 10 bucks. You say the cars do have different abilities but when I play I just don't see it enough, but again thats just my opinion. Also I think the single player options may be a bit too bare bones, one tournament that takes 20 minutes to complete just isn't enough. They game should have more levels, 4 is just not enough. Now my qualms with the online play are not really a CAC issue but more of a PS3 issue, the PS3 although I am confident will be great for online gameplay soon, just isnt quite there yet. So the expectation for me to blindly pay 10 bucks for a game thats main focus is online play with no demo just seems far fetched to me. I also expect more for 10 dollar down loadable games. I get no box, no disk, no ability to trade it in and yet I am expected to be content with 4 levels and no demo. IMHO a 10 dollar DL game should have the same value as a 20 dollar B&M game. CAC although it is a lot of fun, would not sell on the shelf for 20 bucks. To sum up a 20 minute offline experience is not worth my 10 bucks

It's funny because just yesterday I was thinking "CAC was totally worth the $10 it cost" just based on the several hours of fun I've had playing single player. I figure 4 hours of fun time is worth $10, but maybe that's just me...

I played CAC online last night and I was disappointed that there seemed to be only 25 people playing so there weren't many choices of who to play. The PS3 online community needs lots of work to be on par with XBL.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Wombat, you're basically as smarmy as Jaffe without the much vulgarity. I'm eventually going to pick up the game when I get my PS3 later this year.

Second of all, I pretty shocked you think Uncharted is Tomb Raider with a man. I mean first of all, the graphics are amazing-enough to note some impressions of. They're wickedly lush, and the characters animate beautifully. How is there a suggestioin that either the gun play or hand to hand combat (by the way there isn't any hand to hand combat in Tomb Raider) will be bad? The action all looks great, and it looks wrapped in an interesting story. I don't think I ever saw Lara Croft with a documenting side kick. I think you guys are being delusional and giving people more reasons to question your credibility.[/quote]

They stated their opinions. You stated yours. There ins't any reason that they are delusional and you aren't.

Right before I saw this thread, I was just thinking about how CAC was one of the few d/l games I actually thought was worth the money. I dont even have a ps3, I bought it so I can play it over my friend's house. Ive probably played it for 10 hours in the past week, not bad for 10$.

I can see how you don't think it is worth the 10$. The online is pretty barebones, esp when you play on xbox live a lot. Also, I enjoy the game the most when we are having a party or something, and 5-10 people are all watching and cheering for me. You are old and married, so I doubt you have thrown any parties lately

[quote name='dragonreborn23']They stated their opinions. You stated yours. There ins't any reason that they are delusional and you aren't.[/quote]
Except to say that they believe there arn't any differences between the cars in CAC. Apparently Wombat "can't see it"-that's called a delusion.

[quote name='Wombat']OK, so I re-listened to what I said on the show, and I did say that I liked the game about 4 times, but as someone who spent 10 dollars of their own money this game does not, for me, seem worth 10 bucks. You say the cars do have different abilities but when I play I just don't see it enough, but again thats just my opinion. Also I think the single player options may be a bit too bare bones, one tournament that takes 20 minutes to complete just isn't enough. They game should have more levels, 4 is just not enough. Now my qualms with the online play are not really a CAC issue but more of a PS3 issue, the PS3 although I am confident will be great for online gameplay soon, just isnt quite there yet. So the expectation for me to blindly pay 10 bucks for a game thats main focus is online play with no demo just seems far fetched to me. I also expect more for 10 dollar down loadable games. I get no box, no disk, no ability to trade it in and yet I am expected to be content with 4 levels and no demo. IMHO a 10 dollar DL game should have the same value as a 20 dollar B&M game. CAC although it is a lot of fun, would not sell on the shelf for 20 bucks. To sum up a 20 minute offline experience is not worth my 10 bucks[/quote]
The whole "i have an opinion, you have an opinion" thing is cute, but I don't think you can quantify the value of a game just based on the number of levels included. There's plenty of games that have greater value than other games that have more content. You lack any substantial reasons to describe why "4 is just not enough".

[quote name='Wombat']OK, so I re-listened to what I said on the show, and I did say that I liked the game about 4 times, but as someone who spent 10 dollars of their own money this game does not, for me, seem worth 10 bucks. You say the cars do have different abilities but when I play I just don't see it enough, but again thats just my opinion. Also I think the single player options may be a bit too bare bones, one tournament that takes 20 minutes to complete just isn't enough. They game should have more levels, 4 is just not enough. Now my qualms with the online play are not really a CAC issue but more of a PS3 issue, the PS3 although I am confident will be great for online gameplay soon, just isnt quite there yet. So the expectation for me to blindly pay 10 bucks for a game thats main focus is online play with no demo just seems far fetched to me. I also expect more for 10 dollar down loadable games. I get no box, no disk, no ability to trade it in and yet I am expected to be content with 4 levels and no demo. IMHO a 10 dollar DL game should have the same value as a 20 dollar B&M game. CAC although it is a lot of fun, would not sell on the shelf for 20 bucks. To sum up a 20 minute offline experience is not worth my 10 bucks[/quote]

I don't know if you can since you are Wombat, but you have a good trader now. You can trade CAC for 5 games of your choice. Lots of people want it and you basically got 5 free games with it.

Works. I bought Tekken. I didnt play it at all. And I think its worth like 10-15 bucks 20 was to much. I played it twice. I was so mad I spent my money on it.

But guess what I got out of it?
Flow
Crash PSone
Calling all Cars
SuperRubadub

And I have 1 more DL for something else I want or to redownload it.

[quote name='SisterYO']The whole "i have an opinion, you have an opinion" thing is cute, but I don't think you can quantify the value of a game just based on the number of levels included. There's plenty of games that have greater value than other games that have more content. You lack any substantial reasons to describe why "4 is just not enough".[/QUOTE]

Why can't I "quantify the value of a game just based on the number of levels included". I think this game is not worth 10 dollars because after playing each one of the 4 levels three or four times I got bored and moved on to the next game I had to play. If there were more levels I would have spent more time playing the game. Should I just give up and agree with you, is that the only resolution I am allowed here?

[quote name='SisterYO']Except to say that they believe there arn't any differences between the cars in CAC. Apparently Wombat "can't see it"-that's called a delusion.[/QUOTE]
I'm curious - what *are* the differences between the cars? I can't tell them either. Care to share your insights?

I wholehearted agree with Wombat; After 20 minutes with the game, I was bored. For me though, it's less about the number of levels, but the old-school play mechanic. Perhaps, a few more levels would have helped the game, but I would have liked to see a few more wrinkles in the gameplay.

What about a temporary shield that would protect you from enemies, but would prohibit you from dropping the convict into the station? What about controlling environmental factor to screw with the person carrying the convict? Imagine setting off an small avalanche in the snow level.

Overall, it should have been a $5 game.

That's a great idea? I mean, they could do it with the mechanisms already in the game - the missile could destroy buildings or set off avalanches, the hammer could do the same. Hell, a level editor seems like it would be easy to do and very cool.

[quote name='BHMode.com']I have to agree with the Tomb Raider/Uncharted comment as well. That sort of ercked me listening to the Podcast.[/quote]

Yeah, it's a Indiana Jones rip-off. ;)

[quote name='Wombat']Why can't I "quantify the value of a game just based on the number of levels included". I think this game is not worth 10 dollars because after playing each one of the 4 levels three or four times I got bored and moved on to the next game I had to play. If there were more levels I would have spent more time playing the game. Should I just give up and agree with you, is that the only resolution I am allowed here?[/quote]
You can't quantify the value of a game based on the number of levels included because that's like saying Mortal Kombat Armageddon is the best Mortal Kombat ever because it has 60 playable characters. Having all those characters doesn't mean they're all worth playing as, but each of the four Calling All Cars levels are worth playing more than once. They each offer different challenges, and take more than one play through to master, or even get the hang of. Now if there were eight or twelve levels that were worth four in their variability, the game wouldn't be much (if any) better.

[quote name='torifile']I'm curious - what *are* the differences between the cars? I can't tell them either. Care to share your insights?[/quote]\
Some can turn more sharply. They appear to have power of bumping into eachother relative to their size, and there is a definite difference in the amount of boost different cars have.

[quote name='SisterYO']You can't quantify the value of a game based on the number of levels included because that's like saying Mortal Kombat Armageddon is the best Mortal Kombat ever because it has 60 playable characters. Having all those characters doesn't mean they're all worth playing as, but each of the four Calling All Cars levels are worth playing more than once. They each offer different challenges, and take more than one play through to master, or even get the hang of. Now if there were eight or twelve levels that were worth four in their variability, the game wouldn't be much (if any) better.[/QUOTE]

On the flip side a Mortal Kombat with only 4 playable characters would probably be the worst in the series. I never said the game needed 60 levels, I was hoping for like 8 levels.

[quote name='Wombat']On the flip side a Mortal Kombat with only 4 playable characters would probably be the worst in the series. I never said the game needed 60 levels, I was hoping for like 8 levels.[/quote] I prefer Calling All Cars to Mortal Kombat 2 which has something like 12 characters, and CAC is probably a better or equal value to Mortal Kombat Armagddon for that matter. If Mortal Kombat had 4 characters with enough depth to each of them, and compensated with different kinds of game modes then it could be the best Mortal Kombat ever.

[quote name='SisterYO']I prefer Calling All Cars to Mortal Kombat 2 which has something like 12 characters, and CAC is probably a better or equal value to Mortal Kombat Armagddon for that matter. If Mortal Kombat had 4 characters with enough depth to each of them, and compensated with different kinds of game modes then it could be the best Mortal Kombat ever.[/quote]
That logic doesn't really apply to fighting games. You know how many times you need to beat Fatal Fury, 3 because that all they had for playable characters. Back then, it was ok, by today's standard, it makes for a boring game. King of Fighters '94 was a great improvement for SNK. KOF '95 was even better because, not only was there the 3 on 3 teams , but now you could change up the teams which makes for better gameplay. Maybe if you play against the CPU all the time, you might be content, but against real people... More is better. MK w/ four characters = a demo.

I think Calling All Cars is a fairly big letdown, myself. If this is an example of what kind of product Jaffe plans to release from here on out, then he needs to stop acting like a stuck up celebrity, and prove he's for real with another great game.

As for Wombat's comments that the game is too short on content, I completely agree. And a game being short on content is most definitely a reason to put a value to its worth. Would you pay $15 for half a CD, or $20 for half a movie? No. So, why pay $10 for half a game? Maybe the small amount of content does it for some of you. It didn't for me. This is what's called an opinion. Other people have them, also.

we (the public majority) already pay for half a cd, half a game, and half of a movie all the time...maybe you heard of Gears of Wars...

I understand both sides of the coin. While I enjoy the game and think its worth the $10 (I've paid more than that to watch a shitty movie :D ), I understand the criticisms that Wombat has with it. I see it more as an NBA Jam type game. Hell, I would pay $10 for NBA Jam online if it came out.

bread's done
Back