Fake/Scam snail mail from Paypal

RonnieWrecked

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
i got a letter from "Paypal" stating that someone tried to open an account with my info but not all the info matched up and they want me to call and check it with them.

so before calling or doing anything stupid, i did some googling.

first i checked my Paypal account to see if i had any messages there, and i didn't.

i then google'd their number "1-877-969-7566" and nothing came up.

i then googled their return address and it came up as:

Mens Wearhouse
P.O. Box 981064
El Paso, TX 79998-1064.

but on the letter it says:

PAYPAL
GE MONEY BANK, CREDITOR
P.O. Box 981064
El Paso, TX 79998-1064

---

my info did get stolen about 2 weeks ago [ Veteran's Affairs had their computers stolen ] so at first look i thought this letter was real. but i'm going to double check with Paypal to make sure.

Always, always go to the respected site, www.paypal.com and do not click on any links in an email. Even if you think it is from Paypal themselves. If it is a message from the actual company, then I believe it would show on your paypal account when you log in. The same with Ebay.

Most of the email you see are usually phishing/scams.

Actually, GE Money Bank handles the credit accounts for a bunch of different stores, including the PayPal Plus credit card and the Men's Warehouse "Perfect Fit" credit card. That PO box isn't for Men's Warehouse alone, it's for the GE Money credit processing center and is common to pretty much all of the businesses that work with GE Money. So it could be legit.

The key is if you call up, don't give them any ADDITIONAL information about yourself. Like if they ask for your Paypal login and password or your social security number, tell them to shove it up their asses.

[quote name='skyfire1228']Actually, GE Money Bank handles the credit accounts for a bunch of different stores, including the PayPal Plus credit card and the Men's Warehouse "Perfect Fit" credit card. That PO box isn't for Men's Warehouse alone, it's for the GE Money credit processing center and is common to pretty much all of the businesses that work with GE Money. So it could be legit.[/quote]

I find it a bit bizarre that this is your first and only post to this site in a thread about identity theft. Not to mention that you signed up to the site just to post this.

It would suck if identity thieves are now harvesting paypal info and addresses from the trading forum.

If they ask for social security info, give them that one guy's number from the lifelock commercials. :p

bread's done
Back