* * * * * 1 votes

The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

#1801 Mega Man   SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT CAGiversary!   17083 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

So who genetically engineered khan to be a badass? And could they just keep draining khan and his crew of their blood to cure anything?

Also are khan and his crew the spartans from halo?

#1802 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

So who genetically engineered khan to be a badass? And could they just keep draining khan and his crew of their blood to cure anything?

I really wish Khan would have talked more about his background in the cell scene. Perhaps a flashback where Admiral Marcus finds him along with a scene of Bontey Bay (sp?)

Yeah, Khan's crew was such a waste......

#1803 DT778   number 1 on the westside CAGiversary!   10468 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Fun movie. Lots of action, could have had some more story but it's still a good movie.

#1804 Syranth   Formerly WormFOODx CAGiversary!   1840 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Khan was genetically engineered about 50 years from our current time then put in chryo until this time of the movie. So it's not like they were able to do it again. All science around their cloning was deemed illegal until some of it was used again later. Dr. Julien Bashir was made using similar science and I believe Noonan Singh (spelling?) is a descendant as well (Data's creator).

#1805 johnnypark   Farewell My Viking! CAGiversary!   3359 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Into Darkness wasn't perfect by any means, but people who are lamenting it as an action movie with style over substance need to remember that, in a lot of ways, it's a remake of Wrath of Khan, which was also 1) directed by a guy who wasn't a Star Trek fan and 2) far more of an action movie than anything that had appeared in TOS or the first film, and WoK is credited as saving the franchise since it had been off the air for years and the first movie under-performed.

The films have ALWAYS been more action-oriented with more grandiose plots, while the TV shows have maintained the original themes more consistently.

There are certainly some technical problems which don't make much sense (how quickly they get back to Earth from Kronos while being pursued by the Vengeance, for example, if we're using other Trek as a reference) but given the liberal use of Scotty Prime's equation for transporting half-way across the galaxy, I'm not expecting a ton of strict adherence to the canon of the (fictitious) science side of Trek.

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#1806 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   42367 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

Haha, isn't that what I said earlier? btw it's monday so no more spoiler tags. You are truly losing a lot of detail when seeing a movie in 3d as it is darker and not as sharp as seeing it in 2d. When I saw it in 2d yesterday I could see more without the cheap thrills of 3d.

Unfortunately if you ever want to see it on a big screen, like an imax at AMC they force the 3d on you :(

Hey...where is the crew quarters?

IMAX 3D has never been dark for any time I've seen any movie in my local IMAX theatre. It's the preferred 3D format.

#1807 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

IMAX 3D has never been dark for any time I've seen any movie in my local IMAX theatre. It's the preferred 3D format.

Well not dark dark, but lower brightness than normal 2d screens that I have been to. I read somewhere that theater owners do not want to increase the brightness of the projector because it will burn out the bulb faster for a 3d movie.

I just noticed more detail in the 2d showing than the 3d/imax 3d showings.

#1808 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2297 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

Amazon has a STID collectors edition blu ray up for $80 right now. Comes with a reproduction of the movie phaser, I believe made with tooling from the props. THe "barrel" flips around....

Kinda mad I missed on the first moive CE. Worth quite a bit now, it was truly Limited so I expect this to be also.

http://www.amazon.co...&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

Edited by 6er, 29 May 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#1809 blandstalker   I am Irrelevant Bitching CAGiversary!   2462 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

blandstalker

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

Into Darkness wasn't perfect by any means, but people who are lamenting it as an action movie with style over substance need to remember that, in a lot of ways, it's a remake of Wrath of Khan, which was also 1) directed by a guy who wasn't a Star Trek fan and 2) far more of an action movie than anything that had appeared in TOS or the first film, and WoK is credited as saving the franchise since it had been off the air for years and the first movie under-performed.

The films have ALWAYS been more action-oriented with more grandiose plots, while the TV shows have maintained the original themes more consistently.

I haven't seen Into Darkness yet, so I can't comment on that.

TWOK, however, is widely regarded as the best Trek movie because it's more than an action movie. Sure, it has space battles and ear weevils and scenery chewing. But I still think it succeeds the best at using every character, developing them, and giving them all something meaningful to do. That's not easy for a large cast. Plus a villain. Plus new characters. Plural.

And, somehow, it did all that. I think TWOK's Khan is the best villain because he is complicated and flawed, and yet you can understand his choices and empathize with him. Even though other antagonists share similar motivations (Soran, Nero), there's more characterization in his second-in-command than most movies' primary bad guy. There really isn't another ST villain that even comes close.

Plus, you have actual themes that aren't just throwaways. TWOK reminded people that there were characters and things that they cared about. In the middle of it all was a reminder of the big three of TOS, doing what they did best -- have an ethical discussion from different points of view. And it wasn't boring, tacked on, or moralistic. The movie never gets too far away from the idea that, for all the science fiction, these are real people with real concerns and not just plot devices shuffled from one spot to the next. It also never got far away from the idea that science fiction is meaningless if we can't relate it back to human issues.

Nemesis was also directed by an outsider and had plenty of action. Yet, it's justly derided as one of the worst Trek movies because it did everything wrong, including laughable plot and characterization. Just as the themes and ideas flow and reinforce each other in TWOK, they are slapdash and featherweight in Nemesis, and the whole thing is an unwatchable hash of poorly thought out ideas.

TWOK isn't about one thing, and it certainly isn't about just the plot or action. It has that. But if that's all it had, we wouldn't still be talking about it or holding it up as the example of what a Trek movie can be.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#1810 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

I haven't seen Into Darkness yet, so I can't comment on that.

TWOK, however, is widely regarded as the best Trek movie because it's more than an action movie. Sure, it has space battles and ear weevils and scenery chewing. But I still think it succeeds the best at using every character, developing them, and giving them all something meaningful to do. That's not easy for a large cast. Plus a villain. Plus new characters. Plural.

And, somehow, it did all that. I think TWOK's Khan is the best villain because he is complicated and flawed, and yet you can understand his choices and empathize with him. Even though other antagonists share similar motivations (Soran, Nero), there's more characterization in his second-in-command than most movies' primary bad guy. There really isn't another ST villain that even comes close.

Plus, you have actual themes that aren't just throwaways. TWOK reminded people that there were characters and things that they cared about. In the middle of it all was a reminder of the big three of TOS, doing what they did best -- have an ethical discussion from different points of view. And it wasn't boring, tacked on, or moralistic. The movie never gets too far away from the idea that, for all the science fiction, these are real people with real concerns and not just plot devices shuffled from one spot to the next. It also never got far away from the idea that science fiction is meaningless if we can't relate it back to human issues.

Nemesis was also directed by an outsider and had plenty of action. Yet, it's justly derided as one of the worst Trek movies because it did everything wrong, including laughable plot and characterization. Just as the themes and ideas flow and reinforce each other in TWOK, they are slapdash and featherweight in Nemesis, and the whole thing is an unwatchable hash of poorly thought out ideas.

TWOK isn't about one thing, and it certainly isn't about just the plot or action. It has that. But if that's all it had, we wouldn't still be talking about it or holding it up as the example of what a Trek movie can be.

yeah..what he said. :)

#1811 Friend of Sonic   Toneman.org coming soon.. CAGiversary!   9945 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Friend of Sonic

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

Man. That movie blew. My friend hadn't read any spoilers at all, and he totally called, "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" I sat forward, staring blankly, so he could have his victory. He was dying in laughter when it did happen.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1812 moon_knight   Gotta Have Blue Hair CAGiversary!   763 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

moon_knight

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

I like the two new star trek movies, they've gotten me interested in the older Trek stuff. Some of you guys need to chill though, sound like a bunch of grumpy old men.

#1813 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

season 5 TNG HD BR Trailer

http://trekcore.com/...railer-arrives/

http://www.youtube.c...ZfInsWRc#at=156

I have been mixed about this for months.  Although they have upped the quality in explosions, the enterprise being destroyed looks exactly the same as the original effect shots :(  I don't like the looks of this at all :(

#1814 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Season 4 review

http://trekcore.com/...ason-4-blu-ray/

http://tng.trekcore....ew/review46.jpg

http://tng.trekcore....ew/review37.jpg

#1815 Mandy I Am   Mew Lickens CAGiversary!   75 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Mandy I Am

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

I wonder if Fathom and Star Trek will do another TNG event.  I haven't heard anything or seen anything online about an event for season 4. Season 4 release is coming up pretty fast so maybe they're doing one for season 5 instead. Ah well.

#1816 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

yeah...technically there should have been Redemption part 1 and 2 on Thursday since next tuesday would have been the release.  I guess either ticket sales weren't that good to warrant the event or it was never planned....too bad though.

#1817 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2297 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

I like the two new star trek movies, they've gotten me interested in the older Trek stuff. Some of you guys need to chill though, sound like a bunch of grumpy old men.

Once you have seen the older stuff, like TNG, DS9 (its very hard for most people to put TOS in its original context in the present day) you'll start to see why. Watch TNG episdoe "The drumhead" and it will relate to recent political events, DS9 episode "Duet". Both episodes hold single lines of dialog that are superior than the entire dialog in either movie.

The movies were made as usualy action romps with a moral. The TV show, the backbone of the franchise, was a moral story with usually some action. Which means Trek was always about the story and  The Abrams movies don't hold much in the moral department, its mostly just action. That is what the angst is about. Most of us love it as a movie but not as Trek.

On Abrams defense, he supposedly planned to make the Movies as action romps, and the TV series would be based on moral issues. When the TV plans fell apart due to the corporate bickering, he sadly didn't change his plan. If you go but the supposed plans stated buy people from his own company,he then through with HALF the plan. Doesn't that sound like a recipe for failure?

772836.png

#1818 Friend of Sonic   Toneman.org coming soon.. CAGiversary!   9945 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Friend of Sonic

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:32 AM

Pumped up for season 4 tomorrow. That deal for Season 4 + Redemption essentially for 2.99 is pretty damn solid. I wonder if I should even bother with trying to pricematch at Best Buy. Might just call Target up tomorrow morning and ask them to put Season 4 and Redemption on hold for me and grab them at lunch (they sell out quickly, or don't get much stock at all) 

#1819 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Once you have seen the older stuff, like TNG, DS9 (its very hard for most people to put TOS in its original context in the present day) you'll start to see why. Watch TNG episdoe "The drumhead" and it will relate to recent political events, DS9 episode "Duet". Both episodes hold single lines of dialog that are superior than the entire dialog in either movie.

The movies were made as usualy action romps with a moral. The TV show, the backbone of the franchise, was a moral story with usually some action. Which means Trek was always about the story and  The Abrams movies don't hold much in the moral department, its mostly just action. That is what the angst is about. Most of us love it as a movie but not as Trek.

On Abrams defense, he supposedly planned to make the Movies as action romps, and the TV series would be based on moral issues. When the TV plans fell apart due to the corporate bickering, he sadly didn't change his plan. If you go but the supposed plans stated buy people from his own company,he then through with HALF the plan. Doesn't that sound like a recipe for failure?

While I agree the shows generally had a much deeper approach to storytelling than the current movies, I think people are forgetting just how downhill the "original universe" movies had gotten in terms of telling a thoughtful story.  By the time Nemesis rolled around we had dune buggies running around planets...  While there was an interesting subtext of that movie of what makes up a person, it was lost in the background noise of complete schlock.  Insurrection?  Gah  Hell, even the darling of Star Trek movies, First Contact, isn't exactly a deep thinking movie but rather more or less a straight action romp.

#1820 davo1224   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3039 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

I think the issue might be that there's no show to balance out the movies. Atleast with the awful TNG movies, there was always the show to fall back on.

With these two, you're getting a typical JJ Abrams movie with Star Trek trademarks when convenient, and he doesn't have anything else to show that he's capable of making something thought-provoking and deep. Star Wars is a ton more conducive to his style.

#1821 Friend of Sonic   Toneman.org coming soon.. CAGiversary!   9945 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Friend of Sonic

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

With these two, you're getting a typical JJ Abrams movie with Star Trek trademarks when convenient, and he doesn't have anything else to show that he's capable of making something thought-provoking and deep. Star Wars is a ton more conducive to his style.

Someone showed this to me a week ago. I thought it was spot on and funny as hell.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OTfBH-XFdSc

#1822 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Season  4 has been out for awhile.  I think they are having a hard time finding some shots because I noticed some up-scaling in some episodes.   Trekcore finally did their comparison video of Yesterday's Enterprise.

Is it me or does anyone think they (the TNG Remastered team) should have added additional damage to the Enterprise D model as the Klingon's were pounding on it during the battle?

#1823 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

btw anyone who is getting Into Darkness in a few weeks, well this has been popping up all over the net.

http://thedigitalbit...nts/082813_1415

I honestly want the Walmart Steelbook edition vs the other features.

#1824 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22392 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Still slogging my way through DS9 - I haven't watched the series since it originally aired.  It is a really great show but some of the episodes are really boring.  I'm in the middle of Season 3 so things are about to get good.  Just finished watching the one where Kira and Odo crash on the planet and Kira gets engulfed in some sort of crystal.  Good stuff.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1825 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

Hopefully there will be some sort of Sampler disc containing the pilot and 1 or two good episodes remastered of DS9 coming out before the end of the year to tie us over for DS9 Remastered.

Still slogging my way through DS9 - I haven't watched the series since it originally aired.  It is a really great show but some of the episodes are really boring.  I'm in the middle of Season 3 so things are about to get good.  Just finished watching the one where Kira and Odo crash on the planet and Kira gets engulfed in some sort of crystal.  Good stuff.

#1826 Cojiro   Casual CAGiversary!   1157 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago   Has been playing Demon's Souls
PS3

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

I usually watch this when I'm feeling sleepy, something about getting assimilated puts me right to sleep lol.

EliteRuneGod.pngMayhem___Mind.png

#1827 davo1224   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3039 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

That's DS9 for you. It has the most story out of any of the Treks but even then, that's not saying much. You're going to get an episode here and there that should have been cut down and made the B story of a larger episode.

#1828 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2297 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

The STID 3D on Bluray is fantastic. The best 3D on blu I have( I have an active 3D setup with shutter glasses FYI). Better than any of the Marvel movies, and also Amazing Spider Man which used 3D cameras.

And as with ST09 the Surround Sound is top notch.

772836.png

#1829 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2297 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

A month ago I saw some discontinued trek ships selling for stupid money and started researching the market for trek collectables, ships are where the value and market is. I havent bought anything trek that isnt a video or game since I was eight. I had no interest. Thats what led me to this.

Anyone seen this?

http://www.startrek-.../usa/faqs.html#!prettyPhoto

I saw some detailed pics of the ones released in the UK and the ships look incredible. Look at the Aztec pattern.

http://m.ebay.com/it...av=SEARCH&sbk=1

They are releasing in the US in the next few weeks. If you bought all of them (70 planned already, they suggest more may be added) it would be at least $1400.

Some of the discontinued Hot Wheels ships that are smaller, and less have detail sell for 50-100+ on eBay.

I'm wondering how much the long term gifts will run. You will HAVE to subscribe for 18 months for one, which would be a $720 cost @ 2 ships a month at $20 each.

That's insane. But then again I could see it selling for $150 in the future.

s.

772836.png

#1830 6er   XBOX, GO HOME CAGiversary!   2297 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

This will jump start the thread:
http://www.trektoday...ek-on-tv-again/

772836.png