* * * * * 1 votes

The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

#1891 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5600 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

NEW SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Ever since Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci, key players on theStar Trek feature franchise, moved to CBS TV Studios, there had been talk about them resurrecting the studio’s marquee title. Now the long-gestating new Star Trek TV series is becoming a reality. It will be shepherded by Kurtzman, who will serve as executive producer. He had quietly been meeting with potential writers for the past few months. CBS Television Studios is the studio.

The first original series developed specifically for CBS All Access, is set to premiere in January 2017. It will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966, according to the network. It will launch with a special preview broadcast on the CBS network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the U.S. on CBS All Access. The franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

Kurtzman and Orci have gone their separate ways in features. On the TV side, their company, CBS TV Studios-based Kurtzman/Orci Paper Products, is still intact though Kurtzman is expected to work solo on the Star Trek series as one of the projects under a separate deal with the studio.

CBS Corp. had been high on rebooting Star Trek with a new series installment, which had been a goal for the company.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

#1892 blandstalker   I am Irrelevant Bitching CAGiversary!   2590 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

blandstalker

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

So, I'm confused.

It says it will be available "exclusively" on CBS All Access, which says to me "stupid pay subscription service".

But then it also says "distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms" which says to me "also on TV".  Which would completely undermine the stupid pay subscription service.

What is it going to be?  CBS is deluding itself it if thinks it will be successful in getting people to subscribe to a paywall for this.  It might work in the short term because Trek fans are rabid/devoted.  But unless it is totally awesome, it will implode.

I have 3 letters for anyone who thinks a new Star Trek show can sustain a network: UPN

And that one was free.

Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#1893 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49845 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:35 PM

So, I'm confused.

It says it will be available "exclusively" on CBS All Access, which says to me "stupid pay subscription service".

But then it also says "distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms" which says to me "also on TV".  Which would completely undermine the stupid pay subscription service.

What is it going to be?  CBS is deluding itself it if thinks it will be successful in getting people to subscribe to a paywall for this.  It might work in the short term because Trek fans are rabid/devoted.  But unless it is totally awesome, it will implode.

I have 3 letters for anyone who thinks a new Star Trek show can sustain a network: UPN

And that one was free.

First episode will be shown on CBS broadcast.  Rest of them, including said first episode, will be shown on CBS All Access only. $5.99/month cost.

#1894 blandstalker   I am Irrelevant Bitching CAGiversary!   2590 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

blandstalker

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:39 AM

So, I guess this means I won't be watching it.  The only good news is that Orci is not involved.  That's almost worth $6 a month to me.

But the last two series were...not good.  The first movie reboot was decent, but it had its share of stupid.  Into Darkness was so misguided in so many ways that it is a red flag that these folks don't know what they're doing.

All of this together is not reassuring.  I don't think they have a vision, a sense of what would make a good show, or even any sort of consistent quality to back it up.  I guess they have a year to figure it out, but I gotta ask: why would I pay for that?  They still have a lot to prove that it would be worth watching on a weekly basis, much less worth paying for.

Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#1895 benjamouth   Thanks Larry Davis for the sig !! CAGiversary!   7541 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

benjamouth

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

Rest of them, including said first episode, will be shown on CBS All Access only. $5.99/month cost.

"It's worse than that, he's dead Jim"

OuN33jx.png

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#1896 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6835 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:53 PM

New Trailer!

I'm ok with it for the most part. The new uniforms feel kinda weird though.

dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#1897 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17249 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

I had the feeling that with a F&F director at the helm there would be something involving vehicular stunts.   So the Enterprise get's destroyed and it looks like they take an older federation ship to get off the planet.    I dunno...a lot of people are claiming this might be the last reboot star trek movie and I am starting to think so too. I have read so many reports about writers leave and the pressures of having to write the script and shoot so soon.   I am starting to think that the rumors of Spock and Kirk from the prime story line where they were going to have Kirk (Nexus Prime) come and get Spock Prime and return him to the prime universe was about to go until Nimoy died causing the script to be abandoned and remade quickly.

#1898 blandstalker   I am Irrelevant Bitching CAGiversary!   2590 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

blandstalker

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:24 AM

New Trailer!

I'm ok with it for the most part. The new uniforms feel kinda weird though.

They're fighting space rocks, the Narn, and Insane Clown Posse?

Well, the last movie with vehicular stunts was Nemesis, so how bad could it be?

#1899 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49845 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

Holy dead thread.  Let me jump start it with this "time travel in Star Trek" article:

http://arstechnica.c...s-in-star-trek/

Great read, IMO.

#1900 blandstalker   I am Irrelevant Bitching CAGiversary!   2590 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

blandstalker

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:20 AM

I saw that, and I also saw this today:

http://www.cbsnews.c...ar-trek-reboot/

Summary: Brian Fuller is going to be the showrunner for the new Trek series.

I consider this fantastic news.  While it drastically increases the odds the show will die an early death, at least it will be good while it lasts.