Where Does the CagCast Rate Amongst Your Favorite Podcasts?

Maddgief

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Right now I rate it at number two behind only 1up yours.

I think Wombat and cheapy do a fabulous job and I hope they try less to be like the other guys and keep on track with their banter and camaradarie.

1. 1up Yours
2. Cagcast
3. EGM
4. Hotspot

1. 1UP Yours
2. Cagcast
3. PC Gamer
4. Various IGN Podcasts

I don't know if these are really in order after 1UP Yours, that is pretty much my favorite podcast right now. Also these are just my favorite videogame podcasts, I listen to a few other ones, mostly about MMA (UFC, ect.).

When "Lukems" was still on "1up Yours", it was a light year ahead of everything else. Now, it's fallen back to the pack, as no one's really speaking up, no one's calling the industry out with sufficient, um, 'vigor', and Shane's getting too comfortable.

That said, I think my favorite podcast now is "GFW Radio" ("Yo, yo!") That's mostly on the strength of Shawn Elliott and Jeff Green's growth into a seasoned host. They seem to have the best chemistry right now. "CAGCast" and "1up Yours" are right behind it, and on any given week, either of those can be the hands-down winner. "The Hot Spot" seems like "The Jeff Gerstmann & Some Other Guys" show as of late. No one else on it is remotely funny*, and most of them seem like they don't even want to be there.

EDIT: "EGM Live" really depends on the lineup. Sometimes they get the right 'combustible' mix, sometimes they get going on a good topic, sometimes they wind up an indignant developer and just watch him lose it, and sometimes I just like drifting away to the mellifluous sound of Jennifer Tsao's voice. God, I'm pathetic.

I won't even listen to Major "Diva" Nelson anymore. That bitch.

P.S. No matter who they throw in there, "Retronauts" is like aural torture. It's got to be the podcast equivalent of what Hogwart's students had to go through in the ghost teacher's (Professor Binns) class.

*--To be fair, Alex Navarro gets off a good one-liner here 'n' there.

1) 1up Yours
2) Hotspot
3) GFW Radio
4) CAGcast
5) EGM Live
6) Retronauts

[quote name='Ma12kez']It's the only one I listen to.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Same here.

What is so good about the 1up Yours podcast?

1UP Yours 7/10- Pretty good, but they dwell on issues too long sometimes. Shane is obviously a Sony supporter to no end, which gets frustrating. He seems like an annoying know it all.

Acheivement Junkie - 2/10 Boring hosts, boring show. Please take this off the interwebs.

Podtoid - ?/10 I admit I only listened once. Cheapy and Wombat's bit was great, but listening to Ron telling his stories about getting drunk bored me to tears. I haven't listening since. Is it better?

Joystiq- 5/10 - Chris Grant is a bit boring. Ludvig is clever, but doesn't talk enough. Only good if they have a quality guest.

Cagcast - 9/10 Best overall game podcast, Cheapy and Wombat have a good balance, and always keep the how moving. My only complaint is that sometimes they don't have enough information about the games handy; the 'wing' it a bit much.

Retronauts 9/10 Often overlooked, but nearly always interesting show. Jeremy Parish knows his stuff, and is not afraid of letting guests take the foreground. Best genre podcast.

[quote name='CAG 79']Same here.

What is so good about the 1up Yours podcast?[/quote]

1up Yours tends to get into some very deep discussions about gaming and it's very good to listen to. they're also funny and they tend to bring in some fun topics. they're also uncensored which i like.

if you like the CAGcast, then 1up Yours should be included in your playlist. i also highly recommend Hotspot which is more light and has the same feel as the CAGcast when it comes to their friendly hosts. Cheapy would probably fit right in with the Hotspot crew, hehe.

Right now, CAGcast, 1UP Yours, and Player One are in their own category.

Everything else is stuff I listen to until one of those three has a new episode (thankfully, they're staggered--Sunday, Wednesday, Friday)

CAGCast used to be really high... but the cast has been going downhill for me. So for now:

1. 1upYours (duh its just awsome and informative)
2. All Games interactive (awsome live show, can call in ect.)
3. EGM Live (although Jennifer Tsao annoys me)
4. CAGCast (to negative has dropped!)
5. GFW (Jeff Green is awsome)
6. PCGamer (just started it, its pretty good. PCgaming is boring though)
7. IGN Gamescoop (lots of inside jokes, gets annoying).
8. Joystiq Podcast (its good, but random at times. Dont listen to it often).
9. Legendary Thread (it'd be higher if Luke was still around).
10. Major Nelson (Listen to it when nothing else to. Which is not often.)

Yea, I listen to alot. I have an addiction to podcasts... oh and the Xtreme Bear Podcast is really number 1, cause I made it.

The CAGcast is in my top five:

1. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
2. Dan Carlin's Common Sense
3. This American Life
4. Gamers With Jobs Radio
5. CAGcast

1. Cagcast.
2. The HotSpot.

That's all I listen to, as far as podcasts go. The CAGcast got me into listening to them in the first place.

1. The Tony Kornheiser Show
2. 1up Yours
3. Sports Game Guy's Sports Anomaly
4. DL.TV
5. CAGcast
6. SModcast
7. Full Moon Show
8. Retronauts
9. EGM Live
10. Cranky Geeks

You all need to check out allgames interactive. It's a daily podcast where you can chat during the show or even call in. The host is funny as hell and they also have a web cam that you can view during the show. I forgot to mention that they have a sexy asian cohost that wears tank tops on tuesday. But I never miss a cagcast.

Number 1 I love the video reviews as well as the podcasts I listin to them all the time while I rock on Halo 3 Beta, play Bleach Heat of Souls (psp),And loving my Wii, Keep it up Cheapy and Womat

[quote name='dmes65']You all need to check out allgames interactive. It's a daily podcast where you can chat during the show or even call in. The host is funny as hell and they also have a web cam that you can view during the show. I forgot to mention that they have a sexy asian cohost that wears tank tops on tuesday. But I never miss a cagcast.[/quote]

Hells yea man. I recently started listening its awesome.

I also called in acting like Peter Molyenuex. Good times.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hells yea man. I recently started listening its awesome.

I also called in acting like Peter Molyenuex. Good times.[/QUOTE]
That was you. I about chocked when you said that you might go multiplatform.

The only podcast i've ever listened to was the CAGcast until I started looking at this thread and I gave 1up Yours a try from all the suggestions....and I must say, I've listened to 4 episodes today, and I'm liking it a ton.

For me

1. Cagcast
2. Retronauts
3. 1up yours
4. EGM Live
5. Various IGN podcasts

I favor the cagcast since Cheapy and Wombat are down to earth and have great banter. Cagcasts are always entertaining and have a great sense of humor.

I also enjoy the fantasy 411 for those who play fantasy baseball, and espn podcasts of PTI and around the horn.

Number 1. I like the fact you guys manage to keep things funny, yet do not resort to the usually cussing that accompanies other podcasts. I used to really enjoy the 1up Show; however, the silly cussing just to cuss annoys the f*** out of me. I much perfer the wit of the CAGcast (including many of the show titles, BTW, the one about vagina clown, had me laughing in my office.) I am not anit-cussing, I just think that it is shamelessly used in other podcasts and is an attempt at humor by humorless people.

The CAGcast, Player One podcast, and Video Game Outsiders podcasts are my favorites. It's really nice to hear other adults talking about video games intelligently -- all this time on the internet sometimes makes me worry that there aren't any video game enthusiasts who AREN'T ridiculous fanboys! CAG has helped renewed my enthusiasm for others who share my hobby (except for those creepy wierdos at my university).

[quote name='LiK']1up Yours tends to get into some very deep discussions about gaming and it's very good to listen to. they're also funny and they tend to bring in some fun topics. they're also uncensored which i like.

if you like the CAGcast, then 1up Yours should be included in your playlist. i also highly recommend Hotspot which is more light and has the same feel as the CAGcast when it comes to their friendly hosts. Cheapy would probably fit right in with the Hotspot crew, hehe.[/quote]

I love the CAGCast. It is the only one I listen to as of now. I am going to listen to the other two you just recommended tonight.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned One Life Left. It's really good. Here are my current favorites:

1. 1UP Yours (not the same since Luke left though)
2. CAGcast
3. One Life Left
4. EGM Live

I also love The Ricky Gervais Show but that's not video game related.

FriskyT - I had no idea Tony Kornheiser had a podcast. I record PTI every single day and it's the first thing I watch when I get home from work. It is one of my favorite shows - I'm definitely checking out the podcast tonight.

I have a big list so here goes.

1 .this WEEK in TECH- Join Leo Laporte, Patrick Norton, John C. Dvorak, and other tech luminaries in a roundtable discussion of the latest trends in high tech. Winner of "People's Choice Podcast" and "Best Technology Podcast" in the 2005 People's Choice Podcast Awards. Released every Sunday at midnight Pacific.
Pretty much the best podcast out there
2. DL.TV - Patrick Norten and Robert Herron talk about Tech.
A great Tech Podcast, with very good tips on how to improve your digital life, also the show is powered by hampsters
3. Diggnation - Diggnation is a weekly tech/web culture show based on the top digg.com social bookmarking news stories.
Great and funny show, with tons of beer.
4. The 1UP Show -Welcome to 1UP's new weekly show on the latest and greatest from the world of gaming. Each week, the editors of 1UP cover new titles and discuss the latest topics in gaming
Now I agree with everyone that
5. CAGcast - Join CheapyD in Tokyo and Wombat from NYC as they discuss industry news, game previews and reviews, deals and shopping, life in Japan, and much more!TheCAGcast is the official podcast of Cheap *** Gamer.
A fantastic show with two distinct and different personalities, it helps when the listeners are crazy too(seeCAGBAG)
5. GFW Radio - Games for Window's Weekly Podcast - GFW Radio, the podcast from the folks at Games for Windows magazine. Through the glorious magic of the Internet, you can listen to theGFW editors and occasional guests pontificate and yammer about all sorts of PC game related issues.
This podcast made me want to get the Magazine, the editors and hosts of this show do anexcillient job and on top of that they are one of the funniest podcasts out there. If you like PC Gaming.. GO LISTEN TO THESE GUYS NOW!
5. 1UP Yours - 1UP Network editors sound off on the latest topics in gaming. Everything, from the latest gaming news to the new game releases, gets discussed each week.
This one shines above the rest of the pack, has everything you would want and more
8. Cranky Geeks - CrankyGeeks is a technology-related Internet show produced by Ziff Davis Media centered on debating technology topics of the week. The debaters are usually other bloggers or tech journalists. It is hosted by industry pundit John C. Dvorak.
Its Dvorak, nothing more needs to be said
9. Podtoid - Destructoid.com's Video Game Podcast
Very funny and VERY NSFW, if you've ever been to Destructoid you will know what the podcast is like.
10. EGM Live* - Electronic Gaming Monthly Magazine's Weekly Podcast - the EGM gang as they talk about the latest topics in gaming, new and cool games, and behind the scenes details about working on the EGM magazine.
Good video game podcast from the editors of EGM, although I don't like Jennifer Tsao to much, I think she lacks the personalty of her counter parts.(that might be a good thing)
11. Xbox 360 Fancast - Podcast for xbox360fanboy.com
Very good Xbox Podcast ( when I get a Wii I will start listing to Wii specific podcast too :p)
12. OXM Podcast - The Official podcast for the Official Xbox Magazine
3 hours of tech news, what more can a man ask for.
13. KFI Tech Guy- The complete aircheck of Leo Laporte's technology call-in radio show minus commercials, news, and traffic.
14. 1UP.com - Retronauts- 1UP's retro blog where editors discuss classic games and classic systems, and how they relate to the current gaming scene. Reader participation viaSkype is encouraged!
Great podcast about retro games, often overlooked
15. net@nite - What's happening on the 'net right now? Amber MacArthur spends every waking moment combing the net for cool sites, viral videos, and funny and moving moments online.
Talks about what is new on the Internet, and its live (talkshoe)
16. Windows Weekly with Paul Thurrott -A weekly look at all things Microsoft including Windows Vista, Office 2007, and Xbox
Not the best Xbox authority, but they do talk about Microsoft Products and news.
17. Maximum PC's No BS Podcast - The Maximum PC Podcast
Very Good PC Podcast, covers everything. (for some reason this works really well with Counter-Strike: Source)
18. The Totally Rad Show - The Totally Rad Show is the summer blockbuster of geek news shows. Every week, hosts Alex Albrecht, Dan Trachtenberg, and Jeff Cannata rip into the world of movies, video games, tv, comics, and more and pull out what's rad.
Its a Rad show that covers everything, very funny
19. Security Now! - Steve Gibson, the man who coined the term spyware and created the first anti-spyware program, creator of Spinrite and ShieldsUP, discusses the hot topics in security today with Leo Laporte.
Its about spyware and its intreasting.
20. NPR - Its flagship programs are two drive time news broadcasts, Morning Edition and the afternoon All Things Considered; both are carried by nearly all NPR affiliates and in 2002 were the second- and third-most popular radio programs in the country. In a Harris poll conducted in 2005, NPR was voted the most trusted news source in the US.
Good news coverage and very accurate.
21.Major Nelson- "Major Nelson is the Xbox Live gamertag of Larry Hryb. I work at Microsoft under the title of ‘Xbox Live Director of Programming’ in the Xbox Live product group and use this podcast as a method to communicate to anyone interested in Xbox and Xbox Live."
it may be like propaganda, but it's official news
Vagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina ClownVagina Clown
22. SmashCast: Podcast about Super Smash Brothers.
The Smash Boards Podcast, new and maturing.
23.Buzz Out Loud from CNET - Buzz Out Loud is CNET's "podcast of indeterminate length," featuring Tom, Molly, and producer Veronica's entertaining, sometimes caustic, and always skeptical take on technology news.
Very good and very frequent podcast about tech. Great for when there is nothingeles to listen to.
24. 1up.com: The Sports Game Guy's Sports Anomaly podcast dream come true! - Join 1UP's Sports Game Guy as he and resident sports gamers discuss the hottest topics in sports video games. A sports gamer's
I'm just starting this one so it needs some time to mature, but it's good so far
25. Joystiq - The Official Podcast for Joystiq.com
It's good, but it's rare
26. Engadget - The Official Podcast of Engadget
Good Tech Podcast, just lacks the personality that the others do
27. The Laporte Report - The Laporte Report is a compilation of Leo's appearances on other radio shows and podcasts, speeches, lectures, and any other audio that defies categorization.
Not really a podcast, and does not come up often, but it's still a good listen
28. FLOSS Weekly -We're not talking dentistry here; FLOSS all about Free Libre Open Source Software. Join hosts Chris DiBona and Leo Laporte every Friday as they talk with the most interesting and important people in the Open Source and Free Software community.
(note: It has not be active for a long time.)

I'm also thinking of checking out Epileptic Gaming, Gamertag Radio, and The Fanboys .
I used to listen to the Hotspot but Gamespot (as a site) is horrible when compared with 1up IMO. The fact that 1up offers for free what Gamespot makes you pay for is great. I mean fuck, this is Cheapassgamer after all, right?

The 1up Show is ten times better than On The Spot. Although Gamespot reviews are the most critical of the industry.

Let's See..
1.) CAGcast as I anticipate this one the most of all of them just because it's the most amusing of the ones I listen to. The fact that they don't bleep, they don;t try to be "professional" but instead give their honest opinions on stuff. Never change guys. Never change.
2.)Joystiq - I really wish they would be more consistant in making episodes. but u gotta love Ludwig.
3.)Engadget - Conisdering they too are severly inconsistant with making shows I still like hearing their point of views.
4.)Xbox360fanboy - used to be my favorite but the phrases "FTW", "Good Times", "Toodles" and "Halo 3" as well as the unecessary bleeping have put this one on the bottom of my list lately. Plus those 2 friggin episodes about Halo 3 Beta (Me not a Halo fan sorry it's not my bag) was a little too much. Plus the fact that they can't say "Selbst Unterhaltungs Kontrolle" was starting to PO me. (I'm German and I can pronounce it:p)
5.)Sunday night xbox show with Mr. Vagina clownaka Major nelson's podcast - Actually deleted this one cause I was starting to fall asleep. His useless developer internvews with Live arcade developers were boring the shit out of me.

I have not tried 1up yours yet but I will try it out tonight.

I am really interested in making my own podcast called "Game hater" where basically me and some other person would just hate on a game people love like Shaddowrun or Halo 3 beta and just rant all for the sake of comedy lol. I got the equipment but no one to do it with :(

I basically only listen to the ziff podcasts and the cagcast now. I used to listen to more but these are the only ones that dont piss me off now.

1. GFW
2. CAGcast
3. 1up Yours
4. Stones Throw Podcast series
5. Legendary Thread
6. EGM Live
7. Retronauts

oh yeah, they are quality. 1up yours is solid, GFW, even if you arent into PC games is a great podcast.. they have a real strong cast that cover some really great topics.

Also, just to add a little comment here as to why CAGcast is showing up as second for most people.. I think the CAGcast is a great suppliment to the more mainstream podcasts. I always pitch it this way to friends.. listen to Ziff for good, solid games discussion and for news, listen to CAG for a good time talking about things you are interested in. Then I tell them to visit meatspin.

That being said, I love the way the podcast has been going.. focusing more on the actual sales and market side of games with the interview series.
I know it would be impossible to get someone AT Gamestop to talk poorly of their company practices, but maybe you could get one of these ex- gamestiop employees (Bits bytes, Pre-order push) on to talk about how the corporate world looks at our spending habits.

Cagcast and The Hotspot are the only video game podcasts I listen too. I listened to a handful of others mentioned here and didn't care much for any of them. Besides, for me, two video game podcasts is plenty.

I do listen to This Week in Tech, even though sometimes what they talk about goes over my head tech-wise, it is still entertaining.

[quote name='javeryh']I'm surprised no one has mentioned One Life Left. It's really good. [/quote]
Ouch. I'm embarrassed I didn't. OLL is brilliant.

I still need to listen to "1UP Yours." I only listen to the CAGcast and The HotSpot so I guess it wouldn't hurt to add another podcast to the mix.

I just really, really dislike 1up.com.

The CAGcast stands at #1 for me, but being a Nintendo fanboy I also listen to The Wiire. I also listen to the IGN podcasts and Joystiq occasionally. Think I'll give 1up Yours and EGM Live a try.

GFW
CAGcast
1Up Yours
Retronauts
GameScoop

And about a half dozen more. I would say I listen to too many podcasts but I listen to all but two of them at work.

I listen to...
Boing Boing Boing (podcast of boingboing.net)
CAG Foreplay (YAY!)
CAGCast (duh)
The Penny Arcade Podcast (free-form and sporadic, but still fun)
Engadget
Gamers With Jobs Conference Call
Joystiq
MLB Fantasy 411 (from MLB.com, it's not helping my fantasy team any...)
MuggleCast (about Harry Potter...yeah, I know)
PotterCast (see above)
TWiT

Of them, the 2 CAG ones, the TWiT one, and Engadget are my favorites consistently. Some of the Harry Potter ones are ok, but they've been kind of hit or miss lately. I'd probably like the Joystiq one better if the audio quality was better--I listened to one of those recently and thought my ears were bleeding.

Oh well. ;)

CAG is way up there. :)
/tk

[quote name='javeryh']FriskyT - I had no idea Tony Kornheiser had a podcast. I record PTI every single day and it's the first thing I watch when I get home from work. It is one of my favorite shows - I'm definitely checking out the podcast tonight.[/quote]
Sorry for the late reply, just saw this. I had no idea either until maybe two weeks ago, but it's a funny show that extends beyond just sports. The unfortunate thing is that the show's over at the end of the month, but there's quite a few episodes to catch up on since it started in February, I think.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/mmedia/tonypodcast.xml

If you haven't gotten the link yet.

I listen to 1up yours, EGM live, XBL radio, and of course the CagCast. Cool thing about XBL is that they have two shows.....one regular one and one with a roundtable of gamers talking about topics. They are holding a contest right now to win a xbox360 wireless wheel, you just have to listen and give them a itunes review. Here a link if it works http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/browserRedirect?url=itms%253A%252F%252Fax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net%252FWebObjects%252FMZStore.woa%252Fwa%252FviewPodcast%253Fid%253D88709001. But overall I dig the Cagcast more because it feels more casual.

Dude the "Fanboys" rock! I just dl'ed and its awesome that you guys record while at lunch and that ringtone made me spit out my drink laughing :)

bread's done
Back