CAG Foreplay Podcast #2: New Releases (6/5/07) "What am I, a Chimp?" Edition

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of June 5th, 2007. This week we cover a handful of potentially worthwhile releases including a western shooter, a familiar puzzler, and a revamped classic. Plus we're back in audio form with Podcast #2.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay2.mp3[/media]

Call of Juarez Dev. Techland Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: PC, 360 MSRP: $39.99, $59.99
Chaps Ahoy! That'd definitely be what I'd name a cowboy pirate game. Sadly, this game is lacking in the pirate department, so I guess "Call of Juarez" will do fine. This first-person shooter has you playing as both the "my family was killed and they think it was me, but I will get my revenge guy" and the "he killed his family so I'm going to track him down and kill him guy". For simplicity's sake, we'll shorten them to Billy Candle and Reverend Ray McCall respectively. During Billy's levels you'll rely on being sneaky, while the good Reverend goes the shoot people while reciting Bible verses route. Naturally, there's everything you'd expect in a Western game: horse riding, hookers, bar fights, really ignorant enemies, crate stacking puzzles, and of course slow-motion bullet-time duels. This could actually be decent... certainly no "Chaps Ahoy!", but we have to play something while we wait. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is selling the Xbox 360 version of Call of Juarez for $55 shipped. There don't seem to be any specific deals for the PC version.

:360: Purchase At Family Video $53.99 (99 cent shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu Dev. BEC Pub. Atari Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Dragon! Dragon! It's a card game!
Dragon Ball Z!
Dragon! Dragon! It's a card game!
RPG!
Dragon! Dragon! Not a fight game!
Dragon Ball Z!
Dragon! Dragon! Still a card game!
Balls indeed!
- ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

Nintendo DS Lite Browser Dev. Nintendo Pub. Nintendo Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
Unlike the previously released Japanese version, the US version of the DS Lite Web Browser, Opera, also offers Javascript and Flash support. What it doesn't do is work on your original DS unless you buy a specific non-lite version from the Nintendo website. It also comes with the DS Lite Memory Expansion Pak (is it really that much cooler when you leave out the "c"???), but there is little information as to what this pak does. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for the DS Web Browser.

Planet Puzzle League Dev. Intelligent Systems Pub. Nintendo Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
With the same style game-play as two other great puzzle games (Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League), this action-puzzle game is sure to be a good one. The highly-simplified goal of the game is to line up three blocks with the same symbol/color. This causes the blocks to disappear from the game board and potentially creates combo moves when the remaining blocks fall. If you've never played a game like this before, you've either recently been released from jail or were frozen for 1,000 years like Fry on Futurama (with the later being the decidedly more cool excuse). This game is the first of the franchise on the DS, so there will be some changes from the GBA version. First, the DS is held book-style, and second, you move the blocks around with the stylus and touch pad. Offering a large extravaganza of game play modes including puzzle (my personal favorite), Time Attack, Endless, Clear, Garbage Mode, etc... this is sure to be a solid game worth your $30. Just bring along your iPod to drown out the standard puzzle game music. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Planet Puzzle League.

Shrek the Third Dev. Amaze Entertainment Pub. Activision Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
In order to provide an accurate preview of ShreK the Third, I spent some time playing the demo available on the 360. First off, let the intro video play after you hit start. The graphics look awesome, as they should coming from Dreamworks (Ship and I are pretty sure the intro is actually footage from the movie). However, the camera angles will make this game largely unplayable, given that I had a headache four seconds into playing. For the majority of the demo, the gamer is playing a 3D platform game while viewing the character from the front or the side. It's like playing a driving game while looking at the driver through the front windshield! I often had no idea where I was jumping to, nor where the enemies were unless they were right next to my player. Occasionally the camera will swing behind Shrek, but for the most part, I found myself spontaneously reaching for the trigger buttons to move the camera to no avail. On the positive side, there are several quest goals for each level, ranging from beating the level without dying to finding all of the coins/novelty items. The graphics are good but the level layout is very simple and one-tracked, and the frame rate is inconsistent. The never-ending commentary from the likes of Donkey, Shrek, and Puss in Boots, was funny and entertaining even at the demo level. All in all, I would place this addition to the Shrek franchise more toward the first Shrek game (crappy) and less like the second (decent). Play the demo before you spend your money. - mrs. ship

More like Shrek the Turd. Sigh... it had to be done. - ship

Best Deal:
EB/Gamestop is offering a $10 mail-in rebate with the purchase of Shrek the Third. Family Video is offering the game for $37 shipped.

:psp: Purchase At EB Games $39.99 (Free $10 gift card)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $35.99 (99 cent shipping)

Tomb Raider: Anniversary Dev. Crystal Dynamics Pub. Eidos Systems: PC, PS2 MSRP: $29.99
Revisit Lara's first adventure without all of the step, step, turn, step, step, turn, turn, step, "NO, why the fuck are you jumping off that cliff", "you deserve that broken neck" gameplay. Most importantly, the new controls greatly cut down on the patience needed to trap the camera in a corner just so you could get a good shot of Lara's rack. Ah, good times. With updated graphics, expanded levels, and the Tomb Raider Legend engine, Anniversary's worth a closer look. Just don't poke your eye out. - ship

Best Deal:
Best Buy is offering the PS2 version of Tomb Raider: Anniversary for $20 this week. Amazon saves you a couple of bucks on both versions.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $19.99

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Dead Moon Systems: Wii MSRP: $6
For most CAGs, these TurboGrafx-16 ports are largely new games because very few people owned this system originally. Dead Moon is a 2D scrolling shooter with upgradeable weapons. As someone who's never played this type of game before, it looks similar to Aegis Wing (released for the XBLA) but with old-school flare. Shipwreck says people will be mad at me for making this comparison. The game looks good, was entertaining to play, and is only $6. So, if this style game appeals to you, then you should buy it even if I think it does look and play like Aegis Wing. As a bonus, you should watch the opening scene for some truly great Engrish. - mrs. ship

Milon's Secret Castle Systems: Wii MSRP: $5
This NES title was one I had never heard of prior to this week, and after playing the game I know why. It's a platformer involving a small elf-like man killing various creatures with fire balls. There's a currency of some sort to collect, and the soundtrack consists of various types of carousel music. It's enough to drive you crazy. Shipwreck says "It should have stayed a secret." - mrs. ship

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
Originally released for the Genesis, this side-scrolling platformer is the weakest in the TJ&E franchise. The goal is to capture humans that have invaded Funkotron. It costs $3 more than the other old-school sequel available this week, so if you're a true Cheap Ass Gamer, this isn't the ToeJam and Earl you're looking for. - mrs. ship

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link Systems: Wii MSRP: $5
This is where you should start humming Bette Midler's Wind Beneath My Wings for full effect... It must have been cold there in my shadow... Being the side-scrolling-bastard younger brother of the best NES game in history can't be easy. But then again, neither was actually playing Zelda II. I died a lot attempting this game, and admittedly never beat it. I mean let's face it, most of us hated this game purely because it was different than the first, but it was hard too. But I have to give credit where credit is due. Many of the new elements (the side quests, NPC interaction, and better sword fighting) introduced in Link were seen again and again in later Zelda games. And some of the pure-RPG elements, like earning experience points during game play to upgrade your attack, were never seen again. All in all, this game is an awesome buy at $5, will provide some seriously nostalgic entertainment, and is a great RPG title. - mrs. ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Added this to the OP:

You can still download/subscribe via iTunes while we wait for them to update:
1) Open iTunes
2) In the toolbar, select Advanced -> Subscribe to Podcast
3) Cut & Paste http://foreplay.libsyn.com/rss into the text box and press OK

Also, the podcast logo is only a temporary placeholder.

LOL! Mrs. Shipwreck has a beard.

No harm intended, I just thought it looked funny. Enjoyed the last podcast and I'm looking forward to this one.

[quote name='radjago']LOL! Mrs. Shipwreck has a beard.

No harm intended, I just thought it looked funny. Enjoyed the last podcast and I'm looking forward to this one.[/QUOTE]

Maybe its a secret message like "Mrs Shipwreck IS a beard"

[quote name='Wombat']Maybe its a secret message like "Mrs Shipwreck IS a beard"[/quote]

See detractors? Wombat is good for a zinger every now and then!

WLA4EVARWTFOMGBBQ!

PS. Digging the new ForePlay... Keep it up!

fuck Why do I get the feeling that this "temporary" logo of me as a bearded, parrot-sporting, gay seaman with street-walker eyeshadow is here to stay???????

[quote name='Cambot']I don't wanna sound harsh, but the new logo looks a little, well, okay I'll say it: Gay.[/QUOTE]

yes and it is FABULOUS!

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']fuck Why do I get the feeling that this "temporary" logo of me as a bearded, parrot-sporting, gay seaman with street-walker eyeshadow is here to stay???????[/QUOTE]
Wow! And I thought that logo made me laugh. Well said.

Wrecks,
I just listened to the show, and I'd like to offer one small suggestion

The acoustics of the show are a bit tinny, and there's a bit of echo. Perhaps your mics aren't picking up all the bass (or maybe you guys just don't have the bass of Cheapy).

Where are you recording the show? It sounds like you guys are in a tight space, hence the echo. Is there anywhere else you might be able to record it, like another room of your place?

Sorry, If I sound anal, But I just thought I'd also a few insights, if you're interested. Flame away, if you want.

[quote name='q 3']The DS Browser does not support Flash.[/quote]
That's interesting, because when I searched the Nintendo.com site yesterday, this was a direct quote of their DS Browser product description: "Based on the light and lightning-fast Opera browser, the full-featured Nintendo DS Browser includes Javascript and Flash support. You can access the web via your home wireless internet connection or any hot-spot access point." But then today, there's no mention of Flash. Thanks for the catch, q 3!

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']That's interesting, because when I searched the Nintendo.com site yesterday, this was a direct quote of their DS Browser product description: "Based on the light and lightning-fast Opera browser, the full-featured Nintendo DS Browser includes Javascript and Flash support. You can access the web via your home wireless internet connection or any hot-spot access point." But then today, there's no mention of Flash. Thanks for the catch, q 3![/quote]

Also, the reason that they have 2 versions (one for DS Lite and one for older-DS) is that the memory card is different. The extra memory plugs into the GBA slot so the DS Lite version (the one in stores) has the smaller cartridge so that it fits flush with the DS Lite.

I have to say that funny or not, I find this--

foreplay120.jpg

--to be every bit as disturbing as your average Harry Knowles "Cartuna" animation, if not moreso.

At least stick a fuckin' flower on 'her' cap!

[quote name='jollydwarf']I have to say that funny or not, I find this--

foreplay120old.jpg

--to be every bit as disturbing as your average Harry Knowles "Cartuna" animation, if not moreso.

At least stick a fuckin' flower on 'her' cap![/quote]
I think it's fucking hilarious. Especially with the Mrs. Wombat avatar consisting of your standard wombat with lipstick, bewbz, and a bow. Now...as for Mrs. Cheapy...

[quote name='Wombat']Maybe its a secret message like "Mrs Shipwreck IS a beard"[/QUOTE]

Now THAT'S funny!

Love the Foreplay Podcast, keep up the good work.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Well, there goes the relevance of my previous post.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here.

Aw man... I really liked the original picture.. maybe you guys could get a portrait of mrs shipwreck in the same style as the others and use the original image but without the gay sailor

[quote name='mrs.shipwreck aka gay sailor prostitute doppleganger']me as a bearded, parrot-sporting, gay seaman with street-walker eyeshadow[/quote]

AHAHAHAHAHA

[quote name='shipwreck']Shrek the Turd[/quote]

AHAHAHAHAHA

If the podcast is anywhere near as amusing as the CAG Foreplay avatar stuff, I'm in for quite a good time. :D

[quote name='Milkyman']Aw man... I really liked the original picture.. maybe you guys could get a portrait of mrs shipwreck in the same style as the others and use the original image but without the gay sailor[/quote]

I'm not opposed to that idea. Maybe we'll work on that for next week. A huge thanks for WSB for all the help!!!!!!!

I think we should have a vote for the logo, or perhaps a logo design contest for the Shipwrecks podcast.

I liked the gay sailor one too.

Hey guys, agree with you on the graphics for MP8. For reference, my comments on just that issue from last week:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2971517&postcount=143

I hadn't even noticed that the perspective during play had changed, but I suppose you are right. Clearly that didn't bother me at all (since I didn't notice). The Wiimote does provide a 100% improvement on switching to "map" or "path" mode and examining the rest of the board and where your opponents are. That was always cumbersome with the GC controller, so that's one example where pointer functionality *really* helps.

I am disappointed in the abundance of "classic" position (D-pad + buttons) mini-games, but you can see why they did this. They didn't want to require the use on Nunchuks since most people won't have 4. However, they could have gotten a bit more creative and come up with more WarioWare-like games.

As for the graphics, it was the parts on the game boards that seemed particularly bad to me. The minigames themselves seem much better. It just seems the game boards don't live up to the visual design on Mario Party 6 & 7 in particular. While the temptation is to say this started as a Gamecube title (as you did ;)) that doesn't explain why the graphics are WORSE than the last 2 GC versions. Geez, I'd figure it would be equivalent at least...

Anyways, gameplay is still fun though and I don't regret getting it for $40 in Gamecrazy credit.

[quote name='io']As for the graphics, it was the parts on the game boards that seemed particularly bad to me. The minigames themselves seem much better. It just seems the game boards don't live up to the visual design on Mario Party 6 & 7 in particular. While the temptation is to say this started as a Gamecube title (as you did ;)) that doesn't explain why the graphics are WORSE than the last 2 GC versions. Geez, I'd figure it would be equivalent at least...[/QUOTE]

You're right about the graphics being better in the majority of the mini games when compared to the game boards. I think that might have been one of the reasons mrs. ship was getting a headache as there is such a broad range in clarity in this game that she was constantly trying to adjust what she was focusing on.

Maybe the explanation for the lack of graphical polish was due to Hudson having to rework a lot of the mini games to make them Wii friendly? There's got to be some reason that this game doesn't support widescreen and I'm guessing it has something to do with switching this from the Gamecube to Wii.

We're up on iTunes, so if you were waiting to download the podcast to your mP3 player, it's all yours! I'll have Ship change the initial post accordingly when he gets home.

I didn't get around to posting last week, since I'm mostly a lurker anyway, but I loved the show last week and was happy to see it come back this week.

Great show, keep it up! :)

/tk

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']We're up on iTunes, so if you were waiting to download the podcast to your mP3 player, it's all yours! I'll have Ship change the initial post accordingly when he gets home.[/quote]

Weird...I dont see it.
What's the link (right click on the show logo and "copy itunes store url")?

On you're comments about Zelda:
Zelda Majora's Mask is completly different in gameplay style from the other Zelda games actually.

Most of the game is played trying to complete timed event's that occur during the 3 day's prior to the moon crashing into Terminia.

That and the gameplay centered around rolling around with the spikes portruding from you as a goron with that mask, and the swimming as a Zora added completly different unique elements to the gameplay.

Most people didn't like Majora's mask though for the same reason they didnt like Zelda 2. It was different. It's one of my favorites though.

That and the hand held Zelda games have always had a lot of unique elements to them. Seasons and Ages had the puzzles based on weather and time, mine cart puzzles, the fact that you had to have both games to beat it with the real ending.
Minish cap of course had the growing small thing that the game was based around.
And Links Awakening for an original gameboy game was amazing. It is the story that Final Fantasy 10 was based on after all. With the sleeping windfish and the demons currupting it, and the people who werent and yet were real. That and it had the chain chomp from Mario as a pet in the game. How can you not love that.

I just listened to both shows today and they were very good.
You both seem to know what your talking about, very good job

[quote name='tsg2005']dunno if anybody has said this, but mrs shipwreck sounds hot ;)[/quote]

Agreed!

Good podcast and very informative. I have some new games to think about getting. And a big thank you to Mrs. Shipwreck for reviewing Shipwrecks cast offs that he doesn't want to play.

bread's done
Back