New CAG Affiliate: VideoGameCentral.com - 10% off for CAGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
I recently spoke to the management of VideoGameCentral.com, an online retailer located out of NYC. They very much wanted to be a part of the CAG affiliate family and I thought you guys might find their large selection of gaming goods interesting. In addition to new releases, they carry classic games, imports, and other specialty products

They've offered up a 10% off coupon: cheapvgcgamer, which is good for any purchase.

VideoGameCentral.com

I haven't had a chance to go through the site on a deal search, but Bargain Bin Games - Cheap Games might be a good place to start.

Coolness! Glad to have a new place on board.

However, even at a 10% discount, some of these prices seem to be way out of whack. $180 "discount" price for a 4 GB Memory Stick? That's like more than twice as much as it is online, and even more expensive than you can get them B&M. They need to have someone comb through the site and clean up some of the prices, me thinks. :)

[quote name='daroga']Coolness! Glad to have a new place on board.

However, even at a 10% discount, some of these prices seem to be way out of whack. $180 "discount" price for a 4 GB Memory Stick? That's like more than twice as much as it is online, and even more expensive than you can get them B&M. They need to have someone comb through the site and clean up some of the prices, me thinks. :)[/QUOTE]

Their PS2 import prices are INSANELY high... nothing to pull me away from Play-Asia, or any other site for that matter, since the other stuff is MSRP.

Fist of the North Star for $80? What the fuck?

What's the deal with the Wii bundle? You can only select the genre of the 3 Wii games and 1 GC game. At $580 you should be able to pick which games you get.

[quote name='Roufuss']Their PS2 import prices are INSANELY high... nothing to pull me away from Play-Asia, or any other site for that matter, since the other stuff is MSRP.

Fist of the North Star for $80? What the fuck?[/QUOTE]

To be fair, FOTNS is worth $80.

Well, then, I'm probably not one to talk about how the prices I pay for games are reasonable.

[quote name='Chacrana']To be fair, FOTNS is worth $80.

Well, then, I'm probably not one to talk about how the prices I pay for games are reasonable.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather spend $64 at Play-Asia and slap a $5 coupon on that, though - it's not worth $80 when other places have it $20 cheaper ;)

CAG should really get affiliated with Monoprice, though - there is huge buzz about them here, and I know a lot of people (myself included) have bought from them because CAG's recommended them over anything else.

Monoprice fits into the CAG way of thinking in every possible aspect - cheap and fast shipping, extremely low prices, great quality and service.

Quality doesn't fall in line with what most CAGs want, but monoprice does have it... in spades. Definitely the most useful site for me when I was hooking up my HT system.

for an independent game store you can always expect prices to be a non-standard CAG prices. but for that memory stick that seems to be a bit steep.

anyways thanks for this i bought tactics ogre for the ps1. been wanting to buy it for awhile from here but the shipping sorta kills the deal, and not to mention the tax since i live in nyc as well.

Interesting, but this is what bothers me the most about used games:

"This is a preplayed video game. It is tested and guaranteed to work on your Playstation 1 video game console and may not include a box or instruction manual."

[quote name='vherub']Interesting, but this is what bothers me the most about used games:

"This is a preplayed video game. It is tested and guaranteed to work on your Playstation 1 video game console and may not include a box or instruction manual."[/quote]

yeah they state almost the same at eb/gs. except for the part that says they tested it. they never test any games.

They do have the FC Twin for $46 and with $4.60 off its about $10-30 cheaper than what other online retailers sell them for.

Wow, this site sure seems reputable!

Just reading through that, it seems that someone who could possibly work for the site ended up getting UncleBob's phone number and calling him up over this retailer selling bootleg games?

Yeah, I feel kinda bad about ripping on an affiliate that Cheapy just got but... the legitimacy of this place is really nonexistent.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wow, this site sure seems reputable!

Just reading through that, it seems that someone who could possibly work for the site ended up getting UncleBob's phone number and calling him up over this retailer selling bootleg games?[/QUOTE]

To be fair though, my phone number *is* in my signature. ;)

SO are mod chips, flash carts, boot disks, modded consoles, etc. all able to be traded in the trading forum since an offically affiliated site has some of those items?

[quote name='daroga']SO are mod chips, flash carts, boot disks, modded consoles, etc. all able to be traded in the trading forum since an offically affiliated site has some of those items?[/quote]Uh, no.

That rule hasn't changed, unless CheapyD says it has.

Regardless of this affiliation, that rule stays unless explicitly stated by Cheapy.

[quote name='shrike4242']Uh, no.

That rule hasn't changed, unless CheapyD says it has.

Regardless of this affiliation, that rule stays unless explicitly stated by Cheapy.[/quote]Wow, I really don't understand that distinction at all. That being the case, it would probably be worthwhile to make some consistency in the policies around CAG then.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, I feel kinda bad about ripping on an affiliate that Cheapy just got but... the legitimacy of this place is really nonexistent.[/quote]

Same here. I'm trying hard to find some redemption for the site, but no dice so far. Not even with 10%. Thanks for the attempt though, CheapyD.

No offense to Cheapy because I really respect him... but this reeks of a quick cash in, sell out with no attention paid to the interests of the members of the site.

Shipping kills the shop. Why pay $7 extra to get something at retail? If online shops are going to exist, they've gotta have some advantage over driving to a B&M retailer..

[quote name='jer7583']Shipping kills the shop. Why pay $7 extra to get something at retail? If online shops are going to exist, they've gotta have some advantage over driving to a B&M retailer..[/QUOTE]

You can buy Gameboy games that have 120 games on it!!!

You can't buy that at a B&M retailer, duh.

Import prices are too high for me to purchase anything. $50 for Guilty Gear: Slash? It's $30 at Play-asia. Good looking out on getting another sponsor for the site but their prices suck.

[quote name='Roufuss']You can buy Gameboy games that have 120 games on it!!!
You can't buy that at a B&M retailer, duh.[/QUOTE]
So...the advantage is that you can buy things that are clearly pirated bootlegs?

[quote name='Damian']So...the advantage is that you can buy things that are clearly pirated bootlegs?[/QUOTE]
That and the multi-carts come with built in sarcasm detector that beeps whenever someone around you is being sarcastic.

[quote name='daroga']Wow, I really don't understand that distinction at all. That being the case, it would probably be worthwhile to make some consistency in the policies around CAG then.[/quote]I'd suggest taking that up with Cheapy himself. I can't speak for him.

Oh, and the trade in values suck. At least it's very easy to navigate the site because it's oh no time when you see the trade in values.

Cheapy --- Is there any way you could pull a deal with estarland.com???? I'd love you forever.

Yeah, sucks that it's not that great of a store. Thanks for trying anyways, hope it gets you some cash.

I second eStarland. You should call them up. Beg if you have to, just get some discounts....

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']That and the multi-carts come with built in sarcasm detector that beeps whenever someone around you is being sarcastic.[/QUOTE]
I have one of those, and look where it got me. Stupid bootlegs.

Just a random section I was browsing under "new and collectible" dreamcast games. Any places that put "(Rare)" in the title of really any game is just hilarious!

[quote name='http://store.videogamecentral.com/newdrga.html']
trans_1x1.gif
trans_1x1.gif
trans_1x1.gif
Sega Dreamcast Sealed NBA 2K1 (Rare)
trans_1x1.gif

gamesusainc_1951_2359990
trans_1x1.gif
Sega Dreamcast Sealed NCAA College Football 2K2: Road to the Rose Bowl (Rare)
trans_1x1.gif

gamesusainc_1951_2358644
trans_1x1.gif
Sega Dreamcast Sealed NFL 2K (Rare)
trans_1x1.gif

gamesusainc_1951_2377748
trans_1x1.gif
Sega Dreamcast Sealed NFL 2K1 (Rare)
trans_1x1.gif

gamesusainc_1951_2280853
[/QUOTE]

Status