CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)

====================
ABOUT THE GAME:
====================

[quote name='Konami Press Release']
The legendary action game Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is reborn on the PSP system with incredible 3D graphics and timeless side scrolling gameplay in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. The first time Rondo of Blood has been released outside of Japan, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles lets gamers take up the Vampire Killer whip as Richter Belmont as they seek to destroy the maniacal Dracula once and for all in this pivotal piece of the ongoing Castlevania saga. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles also includes unlockable versions of the original Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night games, delivering incredible gameplay and value while updating two of the most beloved video games of all time for a new generation of gamers.

Features
* The classic action game Castlevania: Rondo of Blood re-imagined for the PSP system with 3D graphics, enhanced gameplay and new music
* Includes unlockable versions of the original Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night games, optimized for the PSP system
* Old-school side scrolling action through more than 10 gothic stages and additional hidden areas
* New song collection system adds additional depth to classic gameplay
* Complete special event to unlock an additional playable character
* Return to previously completed levels to explore over and over
[/quote]

====================
RELEASE DATES:
====================
Japan - July 2007
North America - September 2007
Europe - 4th QTR 2007

====================
LINKS:
====================
- Official Site
- IGN Preview
- 1UP Preview
- Games Radar Preview & IGA Interview
- Castlevania Week and Opening Sequence
415819685_1ff7236e33_o.gif

====

Alas... the game shall be coming out soon. Are you guys looking forward to it? Are there still 'meh' feelings about the aesthetics of the game? Seeing as this is a remake of one of the most cherised Castlevania titles around, I'd like to hear what you think.

Also word on the street is... a website will be doing a Castlevania feature week where they will unveil gameplay clips from each level of the final game and crack open the SOTN revamp... (more info when I get confirmation)...

I'm really looking forward to it! But then again, I'm a CV fanboy and would look forward to Castlevania: Shit on Stick...

Disscuss.

P.S. - Coming to America SE came out on Blu-Ray today...

I cannot wait to play it, but I honestly wish it was on DS!
I like PSP just fine, but its just too big to lug around compared to a DSLite.

I'm glad that the extra games are unlockable too, it gives you an incentive to play through them in order. :D

Looks real good. I hope "unlockable" doesn't mean you have to play through the 3D remake before playing the originals.

new tracks, eh? I fuckin' love Castlevania's music. I really think I want to get the PSP2TV thing before I get this game though because I'd enjoy it so much more on a good sound setup than on headphones.

even if you need to unlock you can easily just download a game save.

I just hope that the Saturn extra from SOTN are in this version

This reminds me, I need to finish SotN on the 360. The stupid contrller irks me so much though. Hasn't anyone figured out a way to hack the Wii's CC into the 360 yet? :p

[quote name='Gameboy415']I cannot wait to play it, but I honestly wish it was on DS!
I like PSP just fine, but its just too big to lug around compared to a DSLite.

I'm glad that the extra games are unlockable too, it gives you an incentive to play through them in order. :D[/quote]

Blasphemy I say...the little beeps, and bumps that the DS outputs as music would ruin a large part of the experience.

I'm going to get this on day 1 and I don't even have a PSP. I probably won't when it comes out, either. I figure that I will get one some day and I don't want to have to pay more for Castlevania than I do the PSP.

TBW

[quote name='dragonjud']Blasphemy I say...the little beeps, and bumps that the DS outputs as music would ruin a large part of the experience.[/quote]You've never played Ouedan / EBA, have you? Wether or not there'd be room for the games on a DS cart with that quality of music is debatable, the DS certainly is able to produce wonderful audio.

[quote name='daroga']You've never played Ouedan / EBA, have you? Wether or not there'd be room for the games on a DS cart with that quality of music is debatable, the DS certainly is able to produce wonderful audio.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I thought the audio on Ouendan 1 sounded kinda tinny at times... the Castlevania games also had far weaker music -- most likely because of hardware constraints -- than what we got in something like Symphony of the Night, and I'd be extremely surprised if the music quality of the PSP could be matched by the DS. And yes, I used good headphones when playing the DS. The DS can produce much better sound than the GBA could, but it still sounds significantly worse than what the PSP can pump out... I would not want to play SOTN on the system.

The intro looks very good, and pays homage to the original. Where is the German narration, however?

I wonder if I should dump my copy on eBay between now and this game's release.

[quote name='62t']I just hope that the Saturn extra from SOTN are in this version[/quote]

The extras are not in there, sorry dude.
The director of the game said he never really approved of the extras on the Saturn version, and so didn't want them here.
Besides, they're not that great.

Yea... from my experience, the version is the PS1 version.

mykevermin, the copy you have is it mint/complete? :) That's one of the CV games that I don't have in my collection yet... shame on me... :(

I'm afraid if I buy it that I'll try to buy a mint condition/complete TurboDUO as well.. and I really don't want to do that...

I've only played through the prologue and up until where death takes away your goods at the start of the game... mainly been focusing on the main game... I'll give it a whirl this weekend though and see what I can notice for sure... (Thank god I played the 360 version recently so the game is still somewhat fresh in my mind)...

I got mine pre-ordered since march. And I agree with MarkMan. I'd buy Castlevania: Shit on a Stick too.

MjC

P.S. If anyone has a copy of CV2: Belmont's Revenge complete for the original GB, send me your want list. It's the only CV game I don't have.

[quote name='MarkMan']I've only played through the prologue and up until where death takes away your goods at the start of the game... mainly been focusing on the main game... I'll give it a whirl this weekend though and see what I can notice for sure... (Thank god I played the 360 version recently so the game is still somewhat fresh in my mind)...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, let me know if you notice anything, because I'm enough of a Castlevania nerd to go nuts over hearing about the slightest addition. So is this version final or near final then?

[quote name='MarkMan']Yea... from my experience, the version is the PS1 version.

mykevermin, the copy you have is it mint/complete? :) That's one of the CV games that I don't have in my collection yet... shame on me... :(

I'm afraid if I buy it that I'll try to buy a mint condition/complete TurboDUO as well.. and I really don't want to do that...[/QUOTE]

If you're really particular you won't want this copy. I don't think I have a spinecard, and there are several hairline scratches on the disc itself. If you're gonna spend Dracula X money, wait for a nice copy. I may put mine up on ebay just b/c I'm through with collecting games and I won't need it anymore once this comes out.

Chacrana, it's near final... not sure how much % though... but the game is fully playable.

mykevermin, thanks for the heads up... yea if I were to get one, I'd probably wait til' I come across one in mint condition/with spinecard... but then again I really HOPE the release of this game causes the original to drop in price...

I don't know if you guys are hardcore into collecting CV stuff, but there are a small handful of Castlevania: SOTN E3 Special Edition copies of the game that were used on kiosks at E3 the year it came out(1997)... one sold on ebay for the amount of $3500! INSANE!!!! I wish I had one of those as I would use that money to buy a high res Japanese arcade cabinet back to back setup lol.

[quote name='MarkMan']Chacrana, it's near final... not sure how much % though... but the game is fully playable.

mykevermin, thanks for the heads up... yea if I were to get one, I'd probably wait til' I come across one in mint condition/with spinecard... but then again I really HOPE the release of this game causes the original to drop in price...

I don't know if you guys are hardcore into collecting CV stuff, but there are a small handful of Castlevania: SOTN E3 Special Edition copies of the game that were used on kiosks at E3 the year it came out(1997)... one sold on ebay for the amount of $3500! INSANE!!!! I wish I had one of those as I would use that money to buy a high res Japanese arcade cabinet back to back setup lol.[/QUOTE]

What was special about the Special Edition?

MjC

Nothing really, it was just the earliest copy of the game with any localization...

It was pretty much the Japanese version of the game with English Text... there was also an option to start with a bunch of the game finished already...

For a trade demo, it was full of stuff... you were even able to save your file etc...

Here are some pics of it:

MVC-013S-3.jpg

MVC-014S-4.jpg

MVC-015S-2.jpg

MVC-016S-2.jpg

fully playable = interesting. Well, I'd also appreciate it if you can let me know how the port quality is compared to the PS1 original... I'm hoping it's 1:1, especially in terms of music quality. Also interested in knowing whether they dropped the JP voices into the game or what. I know I've got a lotta questions, but dammit, who else has the game or the answers? Maybe Gamespot and a couple of pricks over at Kotaku?

And I love Castlevania games, but I'm not hardcore to the point of spending $3500 on a collectible like that. I did spend $60 each on my sealed copies of Castlevania Chronicles and Super Castlevania IV this week though.

Man... I was at a swap meet once (around 2000) and passed on purchasing a SEALED copy of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES) for $15... this was before I was heavy into collecting games...

*slaps myself furiously*

And yea from the short amount I played with SOTN, it is 1:1... no matter what you do it will be displayed 4:3... you can either have it as normal or "full" so it fills up more of the screen, but it will still be standard resolution and not widescreen. The music quality hrmm... I'll get back to you on that.

[quote name='dallow']The extras are not in there, sorry dude.
The director of the game said he never really approved of the extras on the Saturn version, and so didn't want them here.
Besides, they're not that great.[/QUOTE]
Thats really too bad. But at the same time IGA had said he wanted to add Maria in the original but ran out of time, and told the other team to add her in the game.

I'm looking foward to this and it reminds me how I have to play the rest of SOTN. I started it on the PS1 a long time ago and never finished it. I think maybe I'll put it on the PSP and play through it.

Supposedly they fixed some glitches... I wonder which ones they were referring to... I don't have time to test all of SOTN's glitches :/

I'm psyched for this game but as one of the lucky souls that owns a Duo and Rondo, I'm not expecting this version to dethrone the original. Still, it'll be a blast to play the remake of Rondo. I've played SoTN way too many times to get excited for it again.

Awesome, I can't wait. Castlevania games are always day one purchases for me, I'd like it if this came with some kind of pre-order bonus but I won't get my hopes up. The PoR bonus was pretty nice.

bread's done
Back