Overlord - Gen. Discussion & Info - New DLC: 400pts & 800pts

shieryda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)

Features

Overlord™ is a groundbreaking action adventure, set in a seriously warped fantasy world. Controlling a mysterious figure that has inherited the legacy of the evil, long-dead Overlord, you emerge, near death, from the ruins of the old Overlord's Dark Tower.

Only your actions will determine if you will rise to become the new all-powerful Overlord—it’s all down to how much of a badass you want to be in order to succeed … evil or really evil!

Played out with plenty of black humour and dark irony, get ready for twisted parodies of classic fantasy scenarios and characters. Take your quest for glory online and face other Overlords and their Minions in all-or-nothing battles.
  • Control hordes of minions: Use the intuitive controls to direct a crowd of evil-minded minion creatures. Use Minions to smash, destroy, kill, steal, and intimidate.
  • Become the Overlord: Forge loot from the battlefield into powerful weapons and armor. Gain Overlord powers such as the ability to make enemies burst into flames and cower down before you. Conquer the world and impose your will on its people.
  • Explore a twisted world: The unique story combines evil bidding with impish humor. Defeat the seven fallen heroes to rule over all the world.
  • Battle online: In multiplayer, fight with other Overlords online, both in battle mode and co-op.
  • Expand your game: Look for upcoming extras in the form of downloadable content from Marketplace.
Who's getting excited for this game? Do you think it will be too much like Fable?

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13656/Overlord-Trailer/

Edit 4/14/08: new dlc available:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15725/Overlord-Downloadable-Content-Available/

400 pts: Challenge Pack (multiplayer and Legendary single player difficulty)
800 pts: Raising Hell Pack (single player w/ new maps and challenges)

There is also a third pack that is free:

OVERLORD: SPLIT-SCREEN MULTIPLAYER PACK
• FREE downloadable multiplayer content pack for Xbox 360.
• Enables split screen play on all existing multiplayer maps.
• Plus adds a hot new 'Rocky Race' multiplayer map

This free content download enables players to go head to head on all of the game's original multiplayer maps in a new split screen mode. The update also introduces a new multiplayer map, Rocky Race, which sees a pair of Overlords working cooperatively to survive the onslaught of an arch rock giant on the rampage.

All content packs are now available from Xbox LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360 and require players to have a full copy of Overlord in order to experience the additional content.

This game is going to be awesome. I had fun with the demo so far. I just hope that the game is long enough though.

I'm cautiously optimistic. In this day and age, where 80% of all great games are made by established developers, I don't jump on a games bandwagon if it's not by an established developer.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I'm cautiously optimistic. In this day and age, where 80% of all great games are made by established developers, I don't jump on a games bandwagon if it's not by an established developer.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that if that statement is true, it's probably also true that about 90% of all total crap is made by established developers...

Still, I'll DL the demo today and check it out. I'm definitely curious. I hoping I can talk a friend into buying this when I pick up The Darkness and trading afterward.

First impressions:

Graphically, the game is quite lush and organic; it almost looks like a next-gen fable. The framerate is pretty solid, but the game does slow when your minions are attacking and plundering. Codemasters have always had graphically impressive games.

One small problem is the lack of camera control; you use the right thumbstick to control your minions instead of using it to adjust your view. Otherwise the controls are accurate.

The game almost feels like Pikmin, but with a dash of English humor. PC users might want to note that the game will be $20 cheaper.

I am sorta looking forward to it...I think it was 1up yours podcast that was talking about it being a lot like pikimin...

One of my concerns was the framerate. With all those little dudes running around pillaging and plundering, I was wondering if the framerate would suffer.

The "Pikmin meets Fable" description is spot on. Graphics are nice and the gameplay is fun. I don't know if it's worth a full $60 yet. There hasn't been any details on how the multiplayer going to work, so there might be some potential there. Definite thumbs up from me. BTW you can control the camera by holding down the left bumper, which you can't do while moving.

I was surpried with the demo. I had a lot of fun with it, and I'm most likely going to be picking it up when it comes out. The only problem I have is it comes out the same day as Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and that's a lot of cash on games!

lot of demo impressions say its a pikmin ripoff. or was it pokemon? anyway, i'll try it after this weekend as i'm without my 360 until monday :(

[quote name='deadite76']The "Pikmin meets Fable" description is spot on. Graphics are nice and the gameplay is fun. I don't know if it's worth a full $60 yet. There hasn't been any details on how the multiplayer going to work, so there might be some potential there. Definite thumbs up from me. BTW you can control the camera by holding down the left bumper, which you can't do while moving.[/quote]

Found some details on MP:

As you would expect, the multiplayer modes all involve the use of your minions to achieve certain goals. The first mode is Deathmatch, which plays out the same way it sounds. Of course, the difference here is that dozens (possibly hundreds) of minions will be facing each other at the bidding of their masters. Co-op mode has you and a friend unleashing your minions upon hordes of enemies. Again, the amount of characters on screen is supposed to be very hefty indeed. Finally, there is another mode called Plunder Challenge, in which players compete to gather (read: steal) the most treasure.

Also, Triumph Studios is planning on releasing new multiplayer maps as well as an additional single-player chapter as downloadable content in the future. There are also plans to expand the game's roster of 25 monsters and add new weaponry.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/06/05/new-overlord-multiplayer-details-rounded-up/

Thanks for the impressions, can't wait to try it out.

Hmmm. The Demo was pretty Decent. A lot better then I thought it would be. The only thing I disliked was the lack of camera control as stated by another CAG. Other then that I could see myself picking this up at the $40 Mark.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I was surpried with the demo. I had a lot of fun with it, and I'm most likely going to be picking it up when it comes out. The only problem I have is it comes out the same day as Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and that's a lot of cash on games![/QUOTE]

As well as the Darkness. I haven't tried the demo yet, but I love Pikmin. I'll probably wait for a price drop.

I too was pleasantly surpised/pleased by the demo.
Note: There is a degree of camera control. You can center the camera behind you by pushing the LB button.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Damn that demo was a POS, I demand my download back

Unpolished dull ripoff of other games[/quote]

Um, welcome to life...very rarely do you find originality in ANYTHING now-a-days. But the demo was fun and entertaining and thats all that matters.

[quote name='CheapyD']I too was pleasantly surpised/pleased by the demo.
Note: There is a degree of camera control. You can center the camera behind you by pushing the LB button.[/QUOTE]

Even better, hold LB and use the right thumbstick as you normally would to control the camera. Awkward setup, but better to know about this feature than not. :)

Pretty fun demo. Probably will wait for a decent deal on the game, though. I missed out on the Amazon pricing error yesterday/today.

Eh, the demo was alright. Wasn't really that fun just watching your minions fight everything.

I hope they give the main character more moves.

I don't know. The main character was too slow and clunky for me that I didn't bother chopping things down manually. Unless you can level up your agility, I'd rather have my minions do all the work.

I tried the demo out yesterday and I must agree with the other CAGs, it took me by surprise. The demo was actually very good with lush visuals and fun gameplay. In short I enjoyed it. I was first not happy with the camera work but then I got used to tapping the Left Trigger and it clicked. The game seemed to use Z-button camera movement very well.

I'm definitely picking this one up, I just hope it's not a short game.

Interesting concept (particularly of playing the bad guy) but the minion control just made you seem detached and uninvolved. It's like the idea was inspired by runnig around Diablo 2 with lots of skeletons etc as that was a lot of fun and then taking it to the next level. However the difference is in Diablo you were the hero with your own set of powers and things to do that *just happened to have a rampaging horde as a bonus. It gave you a sense of power but here you're more or less a micromanager with very little to do other than sit back and watch and take the occasional thwack. The whole "evil" them is too watered down by comedy and general "shrekness".

Pretty cool that you can
sacrifice your minions at various spots to regain health.

Also, I loved the pumpkinhead-wearing minions after they trashed a pumpkin patch!

I'm very curious to see what other magic spells your character will aquire throughout the game. I'm hoping for an ice (freeze) spell or a lightning spell!

Did I miss something.. or is this supposed to be some kind of Dungeon Keeper spin off? I mean it shares many things that Dungeon Keeper had. (like minions, dark humor, taking out lords of the land, spawning monsters. dungeon hearts) Are some of the people that worked on the DK games working on this one? I loved the DK games and I really enjoyed the demo. I just was curious. Thanks to anyone that knows, in advance.

I loved the demo, it was fun to play and the characters were quite funny. Going to wait on reviews first, i want to see if this is another sub 10 hour story or if it will be a worthwhile purchase at $60.

[quote name='lilboo']It reminds me of Kameo gone evil mixed with Pikmin ... :whistle2:s
..Yes?[/quote]\

You mean Fable?

Its exactly like Fable. If someone told me it was a mod for Fable I wouldnt be surprised.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']\

You mean Fable?

Its exactly like Fable. If someone told me it was a mod for Fable I wouldnt be surprised.[/QUOTE]

Really? I never played Fable, so I wouldn't know.
The style and the humor of it reminds me of Kameo.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']\

You mean Fable?

Its exactly like Fable. If someone told me it was a mod for Fable I wouldnt be surprised.[/quote]

Fable was the first thing i thought of when i played this demo. Style-wise at least. The camera sucks, flat out, i hope they do something to allow more control or something...its very frustrating when you are trying to guide the minions and you have to stop, hold LB (i think) and then use the right analog stick to move the camera around. Espeically frustrating when you are in a fight.

If people are enjoying this demo, and you haven't played Fable, I highly urge you to go out and get a copy of the Lost Chapters.

I really enjoyed the demo, and completely agree on the presentation was soooo much like Fable. That's what all the characters and graphics remind me of. It's all I could think of while I played. Hell they may have some of the same voice acting. There must be some of the same studios working on this game.

I really liked the right analog stick sweeping of the minion thingies.

Didn't really like it. I wasn't even aware of its existence till a GS manager described it as a bad ass Fable. But its not for me. I like the idea, but it seems too silly or playful.

thats odd, 1 x 90, a couple 80's and then 2 60's...I wonder if the low scores were due to it not really being up the alley of the reviewer.

[quote name='ryanbph']thats odd, 1 x 90, a couple 80's and then 2 60's...I wonder if the low scores were due to it not really being up the alley of the reviewer.[/quote]

Yeah, the scores are all over the place. I'll be curious to see if the US OXM score will be similar to the UK score...

Has anyone found the PC version of this title? I've been to a few places with no luck. In fact, some Best Buy employee told me the PC version isn't coming till July 11th. I thought both versions were launching this week??

Man. This game is some fun stuff.
[quote name='sithspawn']Has anyone found the PC version of this title? I've been to a few places with no luck. In fact, some Best Buy employee told me the PC version isn't coming till July 11th. I thought both versions were launching this week??[/QUOTE]
I thought so, too.

bread's done
Back