Logitech Controllers: Cordless Action vs. Cordless Precision

ma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Can somebody tell me which one of these controllers is better, or what the difference is? The Action is $5 more on amazon. The Logitech site seems to indicate that the Action is more compact, but they really don't have much information about the differences.

Logitech Cordless Precision Controller - $24.99
Amazon Page
Logitech Page

Logitech Cordless Action Controller - $29.99
Amazon Page
Logitech Page

There's also this version, also called Precision, that does not have rumble:
Amazon page
(no Logitech page)

Edit: 1st edit redacted, had incorrect info.

I ended up buying the Cordless Action, and I love it. Very nice controller.

Other than a slightly more DualShock-like design and no batteries included with the Precision, not sure what the difference is.

I just got the Action and love it.

[quote name='botticus']Other than a slightly more DualShock-like design and no batteries included with the Precision, not sure what the difference is.

I just got the Action and love it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the Precision just doesn't have rumble despite some of the info on some of the pages. I'm going to go for the Action too.

The Action is the only one of the three that was officially licensed by Sony (hence the PS logo on the pad). The quality of the plastic is different (some say better) and the design of the pad is slightly more rounded than the Precision pads. You'd have to see which one you like better in your hand, other than that, they're pretty much the same.

I have an Action, and I actually removed the vibration motors from the insides. Makes it feel half as heavy. I never used rumble anyway since it drains battery life. I really love the pad, although the X button died a few months in (the rubber padding that provides springiness under the pad got torn). I replaced the rubber padding underneath with one from another controller and it's been working great. Lasts forever on a pair of batteries.

The rumble-less Precision is the cheapest since it isn't licensed and it has no motor but that also makes it the lightest. It doesn't come in black though.

[quote name='espy605']The Action is the only one of the three that was officially licensed by Sony (hence the PS logo on the pad). The quality of the plastic is different (some say better) and the design of the pad is slightly more rounded than the Precision pads. You'd have to see which one you like better in your hand, other than that, they're pretty much the same.

I have an Action, and I actually removed the vibration motors from the insides. Makes it feel half as heavy. I never used rumble anyway since it drains battery life. I really love the pad, although the X button died a few months in (the rubber padding that provides springiness under the pad got torn). I replaced the rubber padding underneath with one from another controller and it's been working great. Lasts forever on a pair of batteries.

The rumble-less Precision is the cheapest since it isn't licensed and it has no motor but that also makes it the lightest. It doesn't come in black though.[/QUOTE]

Awesome reply, thanks for all the info!

I read about the X button in several reviews--it sounds pretty common. When I googled it, it looked like every reference to this problem was with the Action controller. Do you know if it happens with the Precision too?

Thanks again for your advice.

You're welcome.

I think it's just an inherent problem in game design due to the fact that the X button is pushed the most, and typically the hardest, in most video games. More than likely, all four face buttons on the pad are equally as bad, but the X button gets the most mileage.

It gets depressing when the X starts sticking, but it's an easy fix like I described. Did it about half a year ago actually, and it still plays fine.

The reason why every reference is to the Action controller is because I think that's what most players bought. The design of the pad is just sexier than the other ones Logitech put out. I have no idea if the Precision has the same issue, but it is the same company, so I imagine so. But there's only one way to find out.

I looked over the pictures again, and it appears the Action has an extra button under Select and Start. On mine it says Vibration and Mode. Vibration simply turns off the motors to save battery life, but I have no idea what Mode does. Both Precisions have a third button in the middle, but the rumble-less one obviously doesn't have Vibration so it has to be a Mode button. Your guesses on what the other Precision has.

bread's done
Back